Thread: Castles in the Sand: A Broken Crescent 2.3 – Imamate of Oman AAR

Default Castles in the Sand: A Broken Crescent 2.3 – Imamate of Oman AAR

Contents

Prologue & From Small Seeds
    Battle for Muscat
    Battle for Suhar

A 7zip pdf is available at the bottom of this post of the first three sections of this AAR so that you can download and read at your leisure.

May you learn to laugh at the vexations in your path,

Ever your servant,

GGM
    Last edited by General George Monck; May 27, 2011 at 07:42 AM.
    <--Click or be damned-->
    A General is not so much blamed for making trial of an ill-digested project, as he will be for the obstinate continuing in the same. Therefore the speediest leaving of any such enterprise doth excuse the rashness which might be imputed to the beginning.
    - General George Monck (a great and noble English patriot and gentleman)

Default Re: Castles in the Sand: A Broken Crescent 2.3 – Imamate of Oman AAR

Prologue

He is an old Arab man with a neatly trimmed steal grey beard, gaunt cheeks, a permanently furrowed brow and deeply wrinkled eyes. For a while he sits on the lip of the empty fountain looking across to the side alley archway as if searching the shadows for his words. Then he turns his head sharply and says;

“My story is not easy to tell.” His voice is clear, untouched by age.

“Not because it brings me pain, no, no. I’m an old soldier; I know pain as I know my brothers, as a welcome friend, a companion.”

He stops, looks down and scratches his chin, pondering. Then he lets out a loud “Ha”.

“I boast like an old fool, you must think me immodest.” He looks intently and carefully, so as not to miss a single word, then he says;

“No, my story is hard to tell because I worry about what you may take me for, about what you will understand, that you will not take its true meaning.” The old Arab man stands, age has not bent his body nor has it withered his balance. He walks slow and gracefully over and sits on the bench overlooking the courtyard. Leaning back on the bench he rests his arms on the back and gazes up at the cloud strewn afternoon sky and begins his tale.

“Sometimes I forget what it is like to be young.”

“My son said to me once; ‘If we were such great warriors why do we live here with the dust and the flies?’ I asked him what he meant by this, but he could not answer. I think he is ashamed of his own thoughts and will not speak them, not to me.”

“I know what he thinks. He is young and thinks virtue is found in wealth and power, he does not even imagine what it means to the man who takes such things or what can become of one in such luxury.”

“How is it that a people rise above all others? We are all men, it is true, and when a thousand strive against another thousand, they too often find themselves in stalemate, and yet three hundred men can shame an army of a hundred thousand?”

“It is said that the heart of a people gives them the strength to achieve greatness, but how is it that such bravery be in one and not another. It is also said that a noble spirit is inherited father to son, but what of sons who have shamed their fathers and of sons who carry the shame of the father.”

“Those who recite the holy book tell us that Allah in his mercy grants to the pious victory over their enemies, but the followers of Islam are among the most pious of people and yet our house is broken and scattered like the peices of a shattered urn.” He turns his head and in a softer tone says;

“From the smallest seed can grow an orchard, from the driest soil can spring life, but only when the time is ripe.” He looks back at the sky.

“Brave men choose a time of the greatest hardship to test their courage, but then fall too early as their strength fades. Pious men leave the choice to Allah the ever merciful, but Allah is also wise and will not aid the idle. Noble men trust in learned advisors to choose the time, but advisors will see nothing and say nothing for fear the truth offends their master.” He pauses, then in a firm voice he says;

“But the man of his time is patient because he and his father before him and his grandfather before him knew that the time was not yet ripe. So he dutifully waits in readiness, without a single word of complaint, until the time comes when he has been forgotten by a world in turmoil, then like a sudden desert wind he arises.”

From Small Seeds

Returning from the courtyard side room the old Arab man held a weathered old parchment. Unfolding it carefully, so as not to rip the folds, he reveals a beautifully detailed map of the centre of civilisation. He gestures to an area at the edge of Arabia; “Look, Oman is so small and is so far from the great cities of these lands. But this was our first great advantage. We could gather our peoples together without fear of interference from one of the great powers.”

“I was the day of the bay'ah that the Great Imam Murshad exhorted all Omani to pray for Allah’s blessing in a jihad for unity. His words were carried by speakers and Alims across the land and sea but not always to welcoming ears. The Sultan of Muscat had always rejected the authority of the Imam of Nizwa and the Emir of Suhar was ever loyal to the Sultan. The Sheikh’s of Nizwa knew this meant that the Imam had declared temporal authority over all the Omani tribes and at the second ulema they devised a strategy to unite Oman. The Great Mufti Kahlan was appointed by the Sheiks to take Muscat before the Sultan could prepare a defence while the Talib Amr al-MaSri would be sent to Suhar to convince the Emir that unity was his religious duty. Lastly Ghassan al-Mash’al agreed to travel east to the cost then south to Yemen to see what word there is of these lands.”
    Last edited by General George Monck; May 26, 2011 at 08:36 PM.
    <--Click or be damned-->
    A General is not so much blamed for making trial of an ill-digested project, as he will be for the obstinate continuing in the same. Therefore the speediest leaving of any such enterprise doth excuse the rashness which might be imputed to the beginning.

The Battle for Muscat

”I joined the army of the Great Mufti Kahlan when it marched on Muscat that day. As a nobleman’s son I was given the privilege to join the retinue of Sheikh Masrur al-Kinda, a jolly old man, who, being past his prime, often struggled to mount his horse. At the time I thought we were the most splendid army ever to pass these lands, but now I know we were just a small rabble of warriors, not a soldier among us.”

“We reached Muscat in a few days and attacked at sunrise. To my boyish eyes the place looked vast, for I had not seen so many houses in one place before, and the Mosque, it seemed as if Allah the all mighty had crafted it himself.”

“Great Mufti Kahlan had hired Persian engineers to break the gates, but it seems that in his panic at the arrival of our army the Sultan sent his forces beyond the gate to face us in the field. He was a brave man, the Sultan, but he was a fool for all his bravery. Our nobles, I among them, rode to meet the Sultans Guard, and, as we were taught from childhood, hurled our javelin at them while turning to retreat. They say that the first to fall blocked the path of those behind, and the Sultan could not escape our spearmen. Soon after he too fell and his people fled back to the city. We rode them down, and I killed my first man that day.” Pausing he looked down at his feet.

“The man had his back to me as he was fleeing back to the city. I think I heard him shouting a woman’s name, but I do not know who she was. My blood was so full and so hot that my ears heard nothing but this man; his feet, his breath, he was gasping for breath as he ran. I dropped my javelins as I chased and drew my kattara. You never forget the first one; you feel every moment and keep remembering it as if it happened yesterday.”

”The few that remained or had not yielded fought in the city square beneath the shadow of the beautiful mosque. Our Asnars tore at their flesh like lions, I had not imagined before then that a man would sob and whine in so womanish a way before death. But then I too have whimpered at the moment of death and have survived to carry my shame.” He looked back at the sky.

“When we took Muscat we sought out the Sultans family, some thought to kill them and the Sheikhs of Muscat, but Great Mufti Kahlan forbade this. In the Sultans palace he found the widowed Sultana and fell to his knees and begged, we were all shocked and could not contain our words. There was a great shout that arose from us, but this abated as we heard the Great Mufti’s words. He was begging the Sultana for the hand in marriage of the dead Sultan’s daughter Sukaynah al-Baheli. Then we understood and dropped to our knees also to join our leader’s plea. The widowed Sultana, moved by the Great Mufti’s piety and mercy agreed and her daughter was presented to him that day. They were married in the autumn before all the Sheikhs of Nizwa and Muscat. We were one step closer in our jihad for unity.”

“Our army lingered in Muscat for a year, perhaps to build new friendships between Muscat and Nizwa, or perhaps to drive out and dissenters, but I say that Great Mufti wanted to have time with his beautiful and young new wife. And why should he not? Allah in his wisdom grants us so few blessings such as this that we would have to be eunuchs to refuse. For my part there was a girl who drew water from the well in the square every morning, and I would sleep on the steps of the mosque each night to have a chance to watch her. But I had not summoned the courage to ask her father permission to court before the Great Mufti Kahlan ordered the army march on Suhar. It was on that day I understood that cowardice comes in many guises.”
    Last edited by General George Monck; May 27, 2011 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Resize images
    <--Click or be damned-->

The Battle for Suhar

“As we marched on Suhar I saw the whole coast and pleasant lands between the two cities and marvelled at the beauty of our land. My father once said that Allah the ever provident made a paradise that was too small for all the souls of heaven to be able to spend eternity in, so he placed it at the edge of Arabia and called it Oman. Ha, I could believe that. Everywhere I looked I saw the endless beauty in trees and rivers and birds and beasts.”

“When we arrived at Suhar it was a cool bright day and everyone was lifted in their hearts and there were songs among our company. But the gates were shut before us and defenders lined the walls and we would have to take the city by force. Some among us cursed the Talib Amr al-MaSri for his failure to convince the Emir to join our cause, but those who knew the Emir knew that he was a man of honour and he had promised the dead Sultan that Suhar would not fall to our army.”

“It was decided at a grand meeting of the Sheikhs that the Persians would break the gate while our Asnars and the men of the Azd tribe would climb the walls and fight the defenders there. When the gates were broken the spear warriors would move into the city and fight horsemen in the streets. Of our horsemen, some would dismount and fight on foot, this is what I chose, and the rest would wait to be called if needed. Most of us were sure that with the combined tribes of Muscat and Nizwa we would easily defeat the brave men of Suhar, but the Great Mufti Kahlan warned that Emir of Suhar was a strong leader and will have strong followers.”

“I the glow of the midday sun it was clear that the engines the Persians had brought with them could not reach the gate further than five hundred paces and even worse, they had to be within two hundred paces to be accurate. I counted forty rocks flung by these engines before the last of them were set alight by the defenders with fire arrows. Undaunted the Persians pushed the ram to the gate to finish their task.”

“To my boyish eyes and in my childlike heart I was amazed by how these Persian men persisted with their lonely work. With each heart beat another one fell to javelin or bow and I could have walked from the broken engines up to the gate on corpses without touching the ground. Yet not one of them fled and nearly all fell, but the gate was eventually broken.”

“Next the ladders and towers moved to the walls and our Asnars and Azd warriors and swordsmen of Muscat and Nizwa grimly climbed the walls. So many were struck by javelin and bow, except the Asnars, they were like walking shields and seemed immortal to my eyes. As the Asnars took the first part of the wall a signal horn sounded and a great host of spear warriors ran at the gate howling ‘Allah Akbar’ as they entered.”

“I ran in after them and could see the street behind the wall was clear, but the crush of men around the gate made it impossible for me to move in my own direction. Then a shrill horn sounded and I saw the Emir and his guard and the rest of the Suhari horsemen running toward us from the square. I saw that noble Leader and was awed by his bravery, he smiled as he ran at us, and I remember thinking, ‘he has no fear while I am almost ready to faint like a Frankish girl in the midday sun.’”

“Yet bravery is no match for wisdom and the Emir and his horsemen could not gain any speed for their charge. They became entangled with our spears and among the screams of man and horse I saw a spear tip catch his throat and he sprayed his life upon the throng. But his followers fought on seemingly undisturbed by this loss.”

“While horse and spear struggled below the wall Great Mufti Kahlan seeing that our swordsmen were being defeated ordered the Sheikhs and nobles onto the walls to aid our brothers. I was with them, kattara in my hand and shield in my other. But it seemed impossible; there was no room for me to use my blade, and the rahza manoeuvres I had learned as a boy could not aid me here.”

“From both ends of the wall our warriors fought the defenders and the whole wall was filled with noise. As I came out the doorway I had to clamber over bodies, I nearly fell to my death. With no time to think, I was pushed forward by the press of our company. To my front was my friend Aban, I could not turn to see who was behind me, nor could I see over Aban’s shoulder as he was a very tall man. Then Aban was pierced with a spear so hard that the tip came out his back in front of my face. I became frozen and could not stop looking at the spear tip and the deep red droplet hanging as if suspended in the air from it.” He pauses, closing his eyes as if to better recollect;

“I know Aban must have fallen to the ground and that his killer must have seen me, but I cannot remember. I think it was my friend Wasil who must have saved me from the same fate, so frozen by fear was I that I couldn’t react. With Wasil holding my arm and guiding me on, our company pushed at the defenders until they were all slain. Wasil told me later that the fight on the wall must have lasted for an hour, and he said I had killed three men, but I cannot remember. He was much older than me and I think he understood that this is something all young warriors must face and not all of us succeed.”

“I remember after the battle how I walked the walls and the street bellow looking at faces trying to see who was ours and who was theirs. All I saw were dead Omani. There were more corpses than men walking and it seemed at the time that nearly everyone had died. I thought to myself; ‘that’s it, we have failed, there is not enough of us left to retake the South.’”

“I also saw the Great Mufti Kahlan was still sat on his horse, he had not moved all day. He was clawing at his cheeks, making deep scratches in his skin while tears flooded from his eyes mixing with his blood turning his neck pink. But he made no sound; he just shook as if possessed by some maddened spirit. That may have been the loneliest sight my eyes would ever behold. What ruin it must be to lead so many to their death and be so powerless to stop it. My heart was also crushed. No one talked of victory that day, and no songs were sung.”

Last edited by General George Monck; May 27, 2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Resize images
    <--Click or be damned-->

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Great reading and cool screens.

I'm awaiting for continuation.

Under the patronage of m_1512

Great graphical work! And story...keep it up!

Cheers the fuzz,

I was inspired by reading you AAR. +rep to you for persevering against impossible odds.

best regards,

GGM
    <--Click or be damned-->

tavix's Avatar Vicarius

Great start !
    Im doing Hotseats and Lets Play Campaigns,
    check me out on youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVA..._B_BC6YbudjfBA

TMK's Avatar BC Local Moderator

Awesome start to this AAR! I love Oman! I hope you continue this. + rep

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Phenomnal...espcially the art renderings...

+Rep
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Heeehehe's Avatar Tiro
    City of Lightning, Equator Emerald, 1st Level of Heaven

i like the Prologue, very good
    "And indeed We created man (Adam) out of an extract of clay (water and earth). Thereafter We made him (the offspring of Adam) as a Nutfah (mixed drops of the male and female sexual discharge) (and lodged it) in a safe lodging (womb of the woman). Then We made the Nutfah into a clot (a piece of thick coagulated blood), then We made the clot into a little lump of flesh, then We made out of that little lump of flesh bones, then We clothed the bones with flesh, and then We brought it forth as another creation. So blessed be Allah, the best of creators. After that, surely, you will die. Then (again), surely, you will be resurrected on the Day of Resurrection. And indeed We have created above you seven heavens (one over the other), and We are never unaware of the creation." (QS. Al-Mu'minun (23):12-17)

"He who has not seen it does not know the power of Islam." -Ibn Khaldun

Grouchio's Avatar Vicarius

Continue please!