Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unit Size

FirstLaw's Avatar Libertus

Default Unit Size

In all the AARs and previews, it seems all the units are on one of the smaller scales. Is it possible to increase it? I'd rather have large armies of thousands of men than a battle with about 1000 on both sides.

Default Re: Unit Size

Well, just change the unit size in the options.

I think small unit size fits the books better though.

At most, the North fielded about ten thousand foot and only around 5000 knights, right?

I can't remember exactly.

Idk about starks but Tywin's army was 20,000 strong. Personally I like smaller unit sizes because it cuts down on lag and in certain cases large size units cant fit on walls >_<

You're right. I'm rereading Clash of Kings right now (must reread them all before July) and Renly's army numbers 20,000 knights.

Bigger than I had remembered.

I know the north doesn't field as many troops as the Southlands though.

I'm with you on smaller unit size. Slower lag and the dead bodies don't pile up around so much that you can't make out who is living and who is dead.

Yea renly had a friggin huge army. I think beside the 20k knights he also had 40k foot soldiers

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

As far as I remember, the Starks put about twenty thousand into the field, with about 3k being cavalry (not necessarily knights).

Lord Tywin's host was twenty-ish as well, Jaime's was 15ish. The there was another large army being assembled in the west.

The Tyrells are supposed to be able to put 80k + into the field by themselves. Renly's army had some of this then about half the Stormlords, who can roughly put 40k ish into the field. Saying that no army's strength would be a quarter knights. If you work roughly on historical figures, it would be a knight for every 15-20 normal solders. Maybe an army would be 25% cavalry, but that includes any mounted troops, not just knights.

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

smthhappy's Avatar Decanus

What about Tully and Arrins

Tully's strength (I think) is supposed to be about 20k. No idea on Arryn as they never participate in the war.

Captain Zoran's Avatar Ducenarius

It was a while since I read the books, but I think that during the Lords Covenant (Or whatever it was called, the thing when the Lords of the Vale besieged the Eiyre, to claim Little Robin from Littlefinger) they brought about 10k to surround the castle, and they were only the principal lords, they could propably summon perhaps 30k all in all I belive. I'll try to look for the reference in the book today if I can get over this hangover
    The friendly neighbourhood hobo with a shotgun of Westeros: Total War, bringing the Game of Thrones to life!
    Check out my new LOTR fan(tastic) fiction here: The Accountant's Trial

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zoran View Post
    I'll try to look for the reference in the book today if I can get over this hangover
    Haha right there with ya.

But yeah, I guess it'd be about 20-30k. Working on a geographical basis the Vale has neither the space or terrain to support anything much more than that.

Ha, how nice that i never suffer from a hangover.. My poor friends today, though...

Yeah, IIRC the Lords Declarant had like 10 000 men. I guess they had a few more in reserve; But they didn`t have to bring more, after all littlefinger didn`t have many men under his command.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordinquisitor View Post
    Ha, how nice that i never suffer from a hangover.. My poor friends today, though...

Yeah, IIRC the Lords Declarant had like 10 000 men. I guess they had a few more in reserve; But they didn`t have to bring more, after all littlefinger didn`t have many men under his command.
    Aye, and as far as I had understood it, the Lords Declarant were mainly the prominent lords of the Vale. Theres lots other less prominent nobles who propably can muster quite an additional force. Thinking about it more closely, I think Murfmurf's calculation is fairly correct. I think we should count their forces to be up to perhaps 20k, or something in between 20-30k.
    The friendly neighbourhood hobo with a shotgun of Westeros: Total War, bringing the Game of Thrones to life!

I thing somewere in the books is mentioned that the Vale can assemble about 40 000

FirstLaw's Avatar Libertus

It was just cause all the previews and AARs had smaller unit settings. Most of the forces we read about in the book are large forces, like Renly's massive army of 100,000+, Dorne can raise 50,000, Khal Drogo has 40,000 plus warriors in his khalasar. It's just more representative of the book's conflicts with large unit sizes.

Dorn is the kingdom with the smallest population in Westeros i doubt that they can raise 50 000

Here is a post from another forum :

Since I've come into the possession of the A Song of Ice and Fire RPG book I thought that I would add what they have writen regarding the military strenght of each of the Great Houses.

Starks: 45 000 men - a ratio of 4-1 foot and horse, no navy

Greyjoy: 20 000 men - all foot, 500 longships and a handful that dips more than 100 oars

Tully: 45 000 men -a ratio of 3-1 foot and horse, some Houses maintain ships to patroll the rivers

Arryn: 45 000 men - a ratio of 3-1 foot and horse, no navy except for Gulltown

Lannister: 50 000 men - a ratio of 2-1 foot and horse, a fleet of 50-60 larger ships and an unknown number of longships

Tyrell 100 000 men - a ratio of 2/3-1 foot and horse, a fleet of 200 ships with 100 oars or more

Baratheon (Stormlands): 30 000 men -an unknown but probably poor foot to horse ratio, no mentioning of a navy but of very strong castles

Martell: 50 000 men - unknown foot to horse ratio but probably rather high, a small fleet

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php...-great-houses/

Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Yeah...I think some of those numbers from the RPG book are very much inflated.
    "I doubt you can understand the magnitude of the stupidity in your statement."

Yeah, I realize it too and first for the horses/men ratio.
    Last edited by Evilstein; June 01, 2011 at 04:22 PM.

Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Yep, especially since Robb basically takes all the strength of the North with him down south, and they were apperently around 18.000 all in all before joined with Freys strength, who added another 4000 I think. 5000 of those were mounted, and defeated Jamie Lannisters force, while the foot marched down to meet Lord Tywins host.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast