Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you guys run x2 units reasonably on your PC?

Default Can you guys run x2 units reasonably on your PC?

I get decent frames up until the large battles with reinforcements and some siege battles can be nasty. Depending on the map it'll start to lose performance with even 2 large armies. I have a 460GTX and 930 @ 3.8Ghz with 6GB of RAM with the newest drivers. I'd have hoped the 460 would last a bit longer, but Shogun 2 really pushes it! I'd get a second one, but I'm skeptical of the value of SLI mode in the long run.

Default Re: Can you guys run x2 units reasonably on your PC?

I can run fine with 5x unit sizes on my comp, I have played battles with 40k troops however is does lagg alot and I think I only get 8 fps, but I don't really care since its a strategy game. I do have graphics set to low-medium though, but my gpu is rather weak anyway.

Chopy's Avatar Decanus

I have 5850 and PhenomII 945@3.6ghz and no i can't.I get unit flickering.

I have SLI 460s, and for everything else the difference between using a single card or using 2 is night and day (i think the scaling is ~80% thsedays). Shogun however no matter what always lags for me with 2x unit sizes. I also never do siege battles any more (complete lack of variety zzz) so cant comment on that part of the battle map.

2x unit size
    Shadows off
    textures high (ultra normally, but AA wont work on ultra)
    MLAA
    unit details ultra
    no DOF
    grass + tress medium
    terrain high
    1680x1050
    Horo and sashimonos off - they look silly to me, but a side effect of their removal is a slight fps boost

SLI gtx460 - with 270.xx driver also at stock speed
    2500k - at stock speed at the mo
    4gb cl8 ram - more than this is a waste for gaming, and i suspect the difference between cl8 and 9 is minimal anyway

Around about 40fps is my average but when zoomed close to see some action when about 3 or more units are close together that drops to 20 and below the more units are around. Minimum about 15. At mid zoom when its about 40~ fps again however for no reason i can figure out it drops out to 22 - 25 for no reason for a few seconds every 10 or so seconds. No idea why but it seems suspect so take my results with a grain of salt. Will be formatting this computer soon to see if that sorts its crap out.

Only time i played on stock unit sizes was for the first couple of days after release, so i have no idea how fast that runs in comparison.

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Hyzoran View Post
    I can run fine with 5x unit sizes on my comp, I have played battles with 40k troops however is does lagg alot and I think I only get 8 fps, but I don't really care since its a strategy game. I do have graphics set to low-medium though, but my gpu is rather weak anyway.

5x unit sizes?! 40K size battles LOLWUT?! That insane what mod are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Iclaudius View Post
    5x unit sizes?! 40K size battles LOLWUT?! That insane what mod are you using?
    Darthmod v2.2

Laetus

Darthmod v2.2
    Oh I never knew can do 5x unit sizes I thought only 2x it am trying 5x out.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclaudius View Post
    Oh I never knew can do 5x unit sizes I thought only 2x it am trying 5x out.
    Once you use 5x unit sizes tactics is pretty much almost gone, just get a good economy and get as best and as much troops as possible to win , battlemaps are too small to use much strantegy.

WTF 5x TROOPS lololololololololol. i can run pretty well with 2x troops on but with graphics on low-medium. my battles on open field are pretty laggy but playable around 32000 troops but after that it becomes unplayable

Vasa's Avatar Tiro

I sometimes get unit flickering if I'm besieging a castle and the defenders are clustered together, but usually it runs fine. I use shader model 4.1, no depth of field, MLAA, and no tessellation.

tesselation i have been told has 0 effect on performance being on or off. There is a thread on TWC somewhere wiht a table showing the effects on performance after changing a bunch of the options, if i can find it ill post a link.

edit: here it is
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=451187
    Last edited by rob-a-dogg; May 26, 2011 at 07:33 PM.

Once you use 5x unit sizes tactics is pretty much almost gone, just get a good economy and get as best and as much troops as possible to win , battlemaps are too small to use much strantegy.
    What's the point of that?

i have a 580 and i can run with everything maxed out no problem the only thing i disable is depth of field and also i set my shadows to medium. everything else is on the highest setting and i get on average about 35 fps

Quote Originally Posted by rob-a-dogg View Post
    I have SLI 460s, and for everything else the difference between using a single card or using 2 is night and day (i think the scaling is ~80% thsedays). Shogun however no matter what always lags for me with 2x unit sizes. I also never do siege battles any more (complete lack of variety zzz) so cant comment on that part of the battle map.

2x unit size
    Shadows off
    textures high (ultra normally, but AA wont work on ultra)
    MLAA
    unit details ultra
    no DOF
    grass + tress medium
    terrain high
    1680x1050
    Horo and sashimonos off - they look silly to me, but a side effect of their removal is a slight fps boost

SLI gtx460 - with 270.xx driver also at stock speed
    2500k - at stock speed at the mo
    4gb cl8 ram - more than this is a waste for gaming, and i suspect the difference between cl8 and 9 is minimal anyway

Around about 40fps is my average but when zoomed close to see some action when about 3 or more units are close together that drops to 20 and below the more units are around. Minimum about 15. At mid zoom when its about 40~ fps again however for no reason i can figure out it drops out to 22 - 25 for no reason for a few seconds every 10 or so seconds. No idea why but it seems suspect so take my results with a grain of salt. Will be formatting this computer soon to see if that sorts its crap out.

Only time i played on stock unit sizes was for the first couple of days after release, so i have no idea how fast that runs in comparison.
    That's too bad about the SLI not working out there. I've heard/read so many good reviews for that type of setup. I was considering it for awhile, but $ is tight anyway so it's probably best. Overall, I can't complain. I remember Empire:TW ran like a dog compared to Shogun II. Nvidia drivers have been wonky latey too, so that probably doesn't help.

It works amazing for other games, honestly cant complain there.

New driver for nvidia soon anyway, so that might fix the issue

i play with 2x units and although if multiple full armies are involved (16k troops+) it gets a bit laggy it plays reasonably well the rest of the time.

although i think i might start playing with less troops as i find that the battlemaps, especially the castles are way too small.

Quote Originally Posted by athropos1 View Post
    What's the point of that?
    Cause 5x units are just awesome

i have all the settings on full with 2x sizes and it works fine , albiet a tad laggy on full stack vs full stack battles

Mr Kami's Avatar Ordinarius

Everything on ultra,depth of field off,shadows off,AA x8 runs perfectly smooth on my AMD x6/GTX580 using x2.
    I can use shadows but i got some thing where shadows flicker at times so i dont use them at all no matter what unit size.

Quote Originally Posted by alexjs View Post
    That's too bad about the SLI not working out there. I've heard/read so many good reviews for that type of setup. I was considering it for awhile, but $ is tight anyway so it's probably best. Overall, I can't complain. I remember Empire:TW ran like a dog compared to Shogun II. Nvidia drivers have been wonky latey too, so that probably doesn't help.
    Formatting gave me ~+15 fps across the board. Never drops below 30 fps now, average fps 60+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast