Thread: RTW is too easy!

Default RTW is too easy!

I've been playing RTW for the last few months on VH/VH as many different factions (Julii, Selucids and others i can't care to remember) and after the first moderately turbulent 30 turns the ai just roll over and I have my wicked way with them. Any ideas on how to make it more challenging without giving the ai millions or beefing up their stats to an unbelievable amount? I guess I'm looking for a mod that only changes the ai's style to make it less of a girl and give me a challenge. I'm currently playing europa 270 which is a brilliant map.

Smackus

Default Re: RTW is too easy!

Play RS-II. A lot more challenging.

I look at these new great mods every day, but I am confined to... a dell that runs windows 2000! How it can even handle vanilla never ceases to amaze me. I have downloaded RS2 but of course it wasn't able to support it, so at the moment I am using the RS map along with the additional unit pack. I am able to support smaller mods such as xgm and darth for some reason but EB and SPQR crash and RS completely derped. Ah well..

TheFoolOnTheHill's Avatar Centenarius

Armania is hard you start with crap units and it took me trickery to get my first captured settlement (I gave one of my towns for another and retook the settlement that I lost)
    Crème tangerine and Montelimar,A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news,But you have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,Cool cherry cream, nice apple tart,I feel your taste all the time we're apart,Coconut fudge really blows down those blues,But you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,You might not feel it now,When the pain cuts through,You're going to know and how,The sweat is going to fill your head,When it becomes too muchYou'll shout aloud,You'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,You know that what you eat you are,But what is sweet now turns so sour,We all know Ob-la-di-bla-da,But can you show me where you are?Crème tangerine and Montelimar,A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news,But you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffleYes, you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle. Savoy Truffle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a9TMpAwwBw

TheJim's Avatar Semisalis

Selucids, Numidia or Scythia and you will have a challenge. Scythia gets good troops early but the settlement management is a since they are all so far apart and you have not one single public health building. You have to do a lot of housekeeping (letting them rebel and exterminating) to keep the population down, and you don't get a lot of money. Also, to expand in any direction at all you have to go to war. You will be at war with parthia and thrace from the outset at least.

Numidia is just dirt poor and very difficult to build up since your unit roster sucks, but settlement management isn't as bad as with Scythia.

Selucids are easy for the first maybe 5 turns, all of which you have to spend rinsing your treasury to support the epic cluster war that you will be whittled down by for the next 50 years before you can get anywhere. Parthia, Armenia and Egypt will always, ALWAYS be attacking you, giving you very little time to build, train or retrain, so you're constantly on the offensive. Sometimes GCS and Pontus will also attack you (in fact that happens to me almost every time). And because of this, you have to focus on your military, so your economy will start to go sour. When you are barely able to defend yourself you will start bleeding money, but focusing on your economy means you are stuck with your terrible starting roster, while every nation surrounding you builds up great troops. The only advantage to the selucids is that they have the best late game unit roster by a mile. Almost every type of unit you could want. The first 50 years is really hard, but after that, you can steamroll and it gets a bit dull. The same was proven to be true of Numidia by Decimus Milo. Honestly, if you want a challenge, pick Scythia, because the limited infantry coupled with the appalling building choices and settlement management will give you a real hard time on VH.

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Challenge yourself by attacking before you normally would forcing you into fighting battles against the odds that you're not comfortable with. If you're not enjoying the end of your campaigns after turn thirty because it's too easy maybe you could do it faster so your armies aren't stronger than theirs. Set yourself a turn limit goal. Finish TSE campaign by the thirtieth turn and see if that's challenging enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJim
    Numidia is just dirt poor and very difficult to build up since your unit roster sucks
    Numidia is certainly dirt poor but their unit roster is excellent. Their early units are better than those from most other factions. You just have to skirmish with them to get the best results.

play multiplayer....
    respect the melon!

YATS name:Aulus Claudius Ambustus
    Class: Patrician

Find a mod designed to make gamers scream out in unison "WORK GOD DAMN IT WHY CANT YOU WORK LIKE A NORMAL ARMY" or find a player better than you in multiplayer, and fight him. the first one is probably harder than the last. and no RS-II is not such a hard campaign, Andrew.

nhinhonhinho's Avatar Domesticus

The third option.

Use Create unit cheat to create a huge number of Spartan for Greek, First Cohort for Rome then playing as the other faction in VH/VH and no cheat

That does not mean the AI will use them better.

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Actually, most of the time i see any units i create for the AI disbanded.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja