Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone plan on seeing this History Channel Gettysburg film?

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

Default Anyone plan on seeing this History Channel Gettysburg film?

Well I assume it's a movie, not a documentary.

Figured this would be the best place to post this, 'cause it's the Civil War mod... Anyway, here's the trailer. Looks like it could be epic... If you're wondering, the song's Running Up That Hill by Placebo.

IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

kenniston5's Avatar TAR local moderator

Default Re: Anyone plan on seeing this History Channel Gettysburg film?

hell ya!! going to enjoy watching it on memorial day, me and the wife are going to head to fort roscrans (military cemetary here in san diego) and put flowers on my dad's and grandfather's grave (both vets who proudly served), and then honor some more of are vets and falling troops on this special day, then head home and watch it...........
    saw the preview at the movies watching "bridesmaids" and my wife turned to me and said are you going to watch it ?
    p.s. god bless are troops and all who have served past,present , and future for this glorious country of ours

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

The special and visual effects are looking promising, to bad i can't get history channel here in germany (or?)

While the effects look cool, the uniforms are (from a history perspective) crap.

At least they got the flags right.
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

i have been to Ft Rosecrans many times over the years. i sued to be apart of several livining history clubs and we used to go up there a lot. too bad i live in Wyoming now... blah. i cant wait to watch it. plus i have the extended cuts of Gettysburg and Gods and Generals on the way now. it might be a big civil war weekend for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ss97slp View Post
    i sued to be apart of several livining history clubs
    Just to clarify: Did you mean to type sued or used?
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

used

Wess_Hudson's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Primergy View Post
    The special and visual effects are looking promising, to bad i can't get history channel here in germany (or?)
    Sky Germany via satelite.
    I work there and I'm gonna find out, when/if this film is on air and send you a short message.

the history channel is also doing a Grant and Lee documentary on Tuesday night. ill be watching both for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ss97slp View Post
    the history channel is also doing a Grant and Lee documentary on Tuesday night. ill be watching both for sure.
    I have some re-enacting buddies who are in Grant and Lee. Their uniforms are much better than the sad farb stuff seen on the Gettysburg trailer... I'll tune in to both, though, see how they turn out.

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

Only 12 minutes! I'm excited
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

that was AWFUL

didn't watch the second half

HUGE inaccuracies

Yellow chevrons for an infantry sergeant? yeah right...

The majority of Confederate soldiers carrying Springfield rifled muskets? Unlikely unless they all stormed every single Union armory...

The majority of Union soldiers carrying Enfield rifled muskets? Unlikely...they had plenty of springfields to go around! (not to mention, they were newer than the enfields by eight years!)

ugh...bad filming...some terrible voiceovers, worried about the parts of the battle that really didn't affect the outcome...

They never mentioned Buford, the 2nd Minnesota, Joshua Chamberlain and the 20th Maine, never mention Barlow and his heroic defense north of Gettysburg...

Yeah, you learn about these in the movies and history classes BECAUSE THEY WERE THE PIVOTAL AREAS

and don't get me started on the commercials...
    Some came mainly because we were bored at home, thought this looked like it might be fun

Some came because we were ashamed in not to

Many of us came because it was the right thing to do

Libertus

I saw it a few minutes ago. Some parts were okay. Some were mediocre. And others were just damn awful.

Pros- First time I have ever seen the fighting inside the town of Gettysburg by the 11th Corps depicted on screen.

The guys who played Rufus Dawes (Iron Brigade) and Richard Ewell (2nd Corps) sure looked the part. Especially depicting Ewell's wounded leg.

The uniforms on the Iron Brigade were except-able.

Blood and Gore Decent.

Teeth and Dentistry accurate.

Accurate depiction of the dangers of carrying the colors.

Cons- They need to fire who ever did the uniform research and black list him from ever doing any films again. I saw only a couple of Shell Jackets (the standard issue Confederate uniform) in the whole thing. The rest wore plaid shirts and vests. (I understand that a few jackets were discarded due to the heat, BUT the ENTIRE Army of Northern Virginia in civilian shirts and vest?) I even saw a couple of confederates wear REVOLUTIONARY WAR Riflemen Frocks and a TRICORN. AT GETTYSBURG, JULY 1863. Not a single Type II Richmond Depot Jacket (The four jackets that I saw were anachronistic Type IIIs), but Rifle Frocks and TRICORNS. REALLY?

Plus, branch of service colors were all wrong. That is something they got right in spaghetti westerns back in the 1960s. Blue Infantry, Yellow Cavalry, Red Artillery, not yellow all around.

The actor who played Lee looked like a HOBO (One appearance in the whole thing).

The actor who played Meade had Beaver Beard (remember Tom Berenger?)

Dozens of important people and regiments were skipped. Longstreet, Hill, 26th North Carolina, Armistead, Garnett, Chamberlain, 20th Maine, Buford, Pickett himself.

Poor Writing. Almost every Character shown was a slave owner, which was not an accurate representation of Civil War armies.

Almost no attempt to recreate civil war tactics. All Hollywood running and shooting and yelling.

Baseball Cap Syndrome (the tendency to curve kepi brows down, which is farbish). Whole thing screamed Farb.

Brought to you by the same team that made Kingdom of Heaven and Robin Hood, and we know how accurate those films were. Ridley Scott should stick to Science Fiction, and leave us alone with his amateurish interpretation of history. Speaking of which, that whole damn channel has gone down the drain.

The only saving grace is Lee and Grant, which looks at least like someone spend more than a week researching.
    Last edited by LongTom06; May 31, 2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: grammar correction

I thought it was OK. I would give it 5 out of 10. 4 for cinematic entertainment, 1 for historical accuracy. I liked most of the camera work, and effects though some of the nitty gritty details were off. They did get a few things right, very few, but a few nonetheless. I am sure the historical nitpickers would give it a far lower score. For me they spent entirely too much time focused on single individuals who mattered little to the greater battle. While they may have been interesting side notes to the larger history, I think they erred in spending so much time focused on them. I know why they did it, it is a new fashionable trend to tell stories from the point of view of the individual, to personalize it so the viewer can better relate but I don't care for it. They glossed over or outright omitted large and pivotal parts of the battle and they spent little time explaining what the commanders did on each side and why. If this was an attempt to tell the history of the battle, they failed. If this was an attempt to tell a couple soldiers stories without worrying too much about the larger scope of the battle or it's details then they succeeded.
    Last edited by jpaa1701; May 31, 2011 at 02:35 AM.

An open mind is like a fortress, with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

I saw it, and i must say it inspired me to download this mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    If you ever lived next to a volcano, the fact that you had nothing to do with your neighbour failing to properly throw in his virgin daughter to appease the local deity doesn't stop the lava from engulfing your home.

i just saw it and it makes me want to play this mod so bad, an conquer them yankee's

I think it wasn't bad, since it was speaking about the letters of the soldiers.
    Yes there is good / bad in it. But still gave an idea what different types of shot can do to an advancing line of soldiers. My God they were brave! And a little more of their commanders leading them which was interesting. not completely historical but interesting.
    Last edited by swhunter; May 31, 2011 at 01:53 AM.

Roma Surrectum Greek/Spartan Researcher/Tester.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by swhunter View Post
    I think it wasn't bad, since it was speaking about the letters of the soldiers.
    Yes there is good / bad in it. But still gave an idea what different types of shot can do to an advancing line of soldiers. My God they were brave! And a little more of their commanders leading them which was interesting. not completely historical but interesting.
    I wouldn't have been so harsh in my "review" if it had been a movie. But it was a documentary, and as a documentary, it makes several major mistakes.

captcruch's Avatar Miles

@ Long Tom : Most of the movies tend to forget that the South had uniforms also, And Gettysburg is the worst that I saw ( Union vs Peon )

When history is written by the victorious it always makes that, but thx for God and General not perfect but much better .

If the Yankees dare set foot in Virginia,we must show them bayonet .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast