Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: More than 20 units in army Single player Campaign-Success

Default More than 20 units in army Single player Campaign-Success

This was first achieved by Julle Cesar so all credit to him for finding out how to do it.

To have more than 20 units in a stack: open 'saved game' in EsfEditor, CAMPAIGN_ENV / CAMPAIGN_MODEL, you will find 2 numbers with 20, upper is land and lower is ship'.

Just enter the number you need (don't know whether there are any restrictions, didn't test it) instead of 20.

It DOES work in campaign, and the limit is probably more than 80 units from each side (I am currently playing with stacks of 40, but have not reached this number yet).

Still in testing in my current british SP campaign to see what the ai does, might need to lower the unit costs a bit but will keep you posted with updates on my progress.

The only downside like in historical battles is that you can't see the extra unit cards for 21+ units so you might want to make a note of what units you have in a stack

Default Re: More than 20 units in army Single player Campaign-Success

Thanks for the update. We'll definitely take a look into this for SP.

I have been testing it in a vanilla SP campaign so far and I have fought against the ai with armies of 30 units per side. I have also found that when a rebel army is raised in a province you own that army starts with more than 20 units.

example.
    I am playing britain in my test campaign and I sent an army of 23 units over to capture normandy. A couple of turns later the province rebelled against my rule and a rebel army with 22 units was spawned.

The only problem I have found so far is that ships can only transport 20 units at a time so you have to split you army up for transport. I like to think of it as a quartermasters issue to make things more historical and the logistical difficulties a navy would have transporting a whole army and keeping them supplied.

DunkFunk's Avatar Semisalis

WICKED

rep to you and Julle Cesar
    Never argue with an idiot;
    He'll drag you down to his level and beat you by experience.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=414297

thanks for the rep

this has totally renewed my interest in napoleon! thanks!

just an FYI this also works in Shogun, however the game just crashed on me i had set the number to 35 and was probably using about 30 units, I am also using darthmod so i might just turn the unit size down from ultra to high maybe that way ill avoid crashes.
    Last edited by freelancerX; May 28, 2011 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by freelancerX View Post
    this has totally renewed my interest in napoleon! thanks!
    exactly the same...itīs a new vision to me playing NTW with all these cards,increases realism to me a lot

double rep+

WarnerVH's Avatar Miles

Ok, call me dumb. And then explain the location of the file to open please. Do you mean the main NTW data folder, or the C:\Documents and Settings\X\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\saved game folder? And then open a random saved game with the editor?

Please explain a little more.

Thanks!

Cheers!

How about posting some pics with your 40 units stacked together, in a campaign map and in a battle...

Sorry for my English WRITE THROUGH TRANSLATOR. The question is: Can I edit CONSERVATION "save_multiplaer" I Probyval file opens but does not get to edit it. WHAT TO DO?

Wow, this worked really well. Totally awesome discovery!
    Originally Posted by Tyer032392:
    "The problem about having troops killing soldiers is that if CA implemented that, than they will earn the ire of Jack Thompson, and that is something CA doesn't need. If anyone doesn't know who he is, google "Jack Thompson"."

WarnerVH if you use the esf editor 1.4.8 and in file go to open saved game it should take you to the Shogun 2 saved games folder. From there just go back to creative assembly then Napoleon then save_games and you will find your saves. Just open one then edit the numbers in CAMPAIGN_ENV, CAMPAIGN_MODEL.

123f, I cannot understand what you are asking to do, sorry. maybe the above advice will help.

I will get on to posting some screenshots from my current LME mod game.

WarnerVH's Avatar Miles

Thanks, I think that is what I needed.

Kudos for the help!
    1+ Rep

Just for those who are still asking for screenshots as a proof

I've got around 160 units (33 thousand troops overall) in my French Army of Italy here:

Attachment 166470

Attachment 166471

Attachment 166472

Attachment 166473

Beautiful!
    "The problem about having troops killing soldiers is that if CA implemented that, than they will earn the ire of Jack Thompson, and that is something CA doesn't need. If anyone doesn't know who he is, google "Jack Thompson"."

waldopbarnstormer Thank you very much now I can play company with my friend. I think it will be very cool .))))

panzer 4's Avatar Domesticus

but im pretty sure the AI would have massive pathfinding problems wouldnt it?
    The US will gladly step up to become the world police when there is oil involved, yet they will resign the second there is a genocide in Africa, a slaughter in an allied nation, or a massacre committed by dictators, all who's nations have nothing to offer, but the gratitude of the people to the international community for reaching out.

Well, I wouldn't say so. In my games, it behaves just as good (or as bad) as with twenty units. The only issue specific to the big number of units is the deployment, as, as far as I understand, all the new units are placed into the slots reserved for just twenty. As a result, in the beginning of a battle, you've got a blob of tens of units in one tiny spot and another blob in another tiny spot. And it does not move until you move your units within its visibility area. I usually send my chasseurs a cheval to make them move. After which, they just start moving and form into some battle order. Anyway, that's something to be solved and I guess it is solvable

As an example of AI behaviour (I use NTWIII, of course), once, I attacked some 14 thousands with 9 thousand troops. They formed a battle line after they saw me and started an attack themselves, so I decided to smash the AI right wing and the centre first, while repelling the attack by its left flank. Which I did, after which I gathered all my tattered forces in the centre (which happened to be in the centre of a town). I thought AI would continue attacking my left wing which was retreating from the enemy to the centre, and I would meet them among buildings. But it didn't, it just reformed its fresh right wing units, made another battle line and started waiting. So, my army having at least destroyed an important part of the enemy's forces, I decided to retreat from the battle and wait for reinforcements.

I don't know whether you would consider that that was dumb on the AI's part)) but it did add realism for me. I didn't have just to repel AI's attacks dumbly or attack it until either of us would be crushed, but had to make choices instead - and that's thanks to the number of units and a larger scale battle, in my opinion. You may have reserves, and the AI will have reserves, and so on.

On the other hand, I don't think increasing the number of units endlessly would serve the purpose. I would rather deal with corpses and armies, which would join a battle fought by another corps or army if they can or if I wish, so a real large-scale battle would consist of a number of smaller battles fought one after another.

By the way, another issue with the big number of units is that reinforcements will apparently not arrive (like if the limit is 100 and you've got two armies near each other of, say, 50 and 40 units, the 40 unit army will not joint your 50 unit army, although the limit is not reached). That's also something to be solved I guess.
    Last edited by osean; June 06, 2011 at 07:35 AM.

osean, how is it your chasseurs a cheval look different than the ones I saw when I started an Italian campaign the other day, yours have a "hussar style" uniform, looks more accurate according to paintings of the italian campaign than the ones I got with.

Also, I totally agree battles are better. This discovery totally tranforms the game since now we can have realistic sized armies and engaments (if we group together our varius corps), and for larger battles as you said, fight various smaller battles - actually more realistic than one single 1 hour rumble anyway since fronts could be like 20 miles sometimes and battles last days!

Great discovery and great news. I've didn't buy ETW/NTW because I didn't want 20 at a time battles, so now I can. A few questions.

In reference ot the AI,

Quote Originally Posted by osean View Post
    By the way, another issue with the big number of units is that reinforcements will apparently not arrive (like if the limit is 100 and you've got two armies near each other of, say, 50 and 40 units, the 40 unit army will not joint your 50 unit army, although the limit is not reached). That's also something to be solved I guess.
    Does the CAI seek to create genuinely large stacks, or is it still wandering around the map in small, general-less groups? Changing the unit limit would be rather futile if the player is the only one that can exploit it.

Quote Originally Posted by osean View Post
    In my games, it behaves just as good (or as bad) as with twenty units
    What's the best mod for ETW and NTW from an AI point of view? And is ETW worth getting now its up to 1.6?
    Last edited by Canterbury; June 06, 2011 at 04:04 PM.

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast