Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get 20+ units per army in the campaign.

Default How to get 20+ units per army in the campaign.

Now i'm not sure if this has ever been listed before. But yesterday I stumbled upon the following thread in which osean quoted a guy named Julle Cesar for giving a small tip on how to increase land armies. The thread in which he said that can be found here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=431332

So this is not my discovery, it's his.

So for the tutorial on how to do this, it's easy!

1st you need to download ESF editor, I've used the following one: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local_...75&linkid=8783

Then open up your savegame and navigate to the following:

CAMPAIGN_SAVEGAME -> CAMPAIGN_ENV -> CAMPAIGN_MODEL

Here there are two values set at 20, the upper one is for land battles and the lower one is for sea battles.

Change both values to your liking, mine are set at 30, but it has been tested at 80 units per army.

Now save your savegame and load it up! You can now place more units in an army and the AI will do so also!

The only downside is that you can't actually see the extra units, you you'll have to write everything down on a paper or something. You can also count the small yellow blocks next to the banner.

So that's it. Hopefully I can make someone happy with this piece of information. It has made my NTW game a lot more fun!! Don't forget to REP Julle Cesar for his findings.

edit: The same thing should also work van ETW en S2TW!

edit2: It also appears that you only have to do this ONCE. The game saves your edits everytime you'll create a new save for the same campaign.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/fatbattle.jpg

Problem CA?
    Last edited by |Quintus Sertorius|; May 26, 2011 at 09:12 AM.

Default Re: How to get 20+ units per army in the campaign.

I will have to try this again because first time round esf editor crashes after I try to save the changes. Might be because I had the NTW3 mod installed.

I did it! I removed the NTW3 files and then use desf editor 1.4.6 and set both numbers in campaign_models to 40. Tried it out in game and it works, now I just need to see if the ai does the same and have some really big fights!

It seems that the picture i've uploaded doesn't work. It shows a battle between my Italian Army (32 units) and the Austrian forces (40 units). My fps was still around 40-50 so I think i'm going to enlarge it to 50 or even 60.

Like it, but will the AI fill up their own armies without you doing so? So lets say I have a full army and go to attack what I believe to be a whole army of French no more no less, but then when it goes to the play battle screen, will it show the French with extra units, say for my force will show a strength of around 4000 men, could the French possibly have a strength of 18000 men for example. And does it actually give you this info before heading into battle? because I wouldn't want to think that both armies are equal in force then find out that I'm outnumbered by 14,000 French lol.
    Last edited by rfmgunner; May 26, 2011 at 01:45 AM.

It will! The extra french units will be shows at the pre-battle screen. The game however will tell you that you have some extra reinforcements and they will arrive after you'r first of twenty units has been killed. Ingame however all 40 units will be present. The only way for you to know how much the enemy force has before you engage is simply by counting the golden stripes next to it's banner on the campaign map.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/fatbattle.jpg/
    Last edited by |Quintus Sertorius|; May 26, 2011 at 05:47 AM.

Sounds good, does this make the game any slower, and has it been tried along with other mods to see if it compatible.

I like the idea and would very much like to use it for our mod Art of War would that be ok?
    Last edited by rfmgunner; May 26, 2011 at 05:48 AM.

Of course you can! It works perfectly on my rig (AMD X4 965@ 3.6Ghz, 4GB RAM, 4870 xxx 1GB). I'm using it with the All in One mod, AUM en Bart07's and it's working perfectly. I'm changing the land army size to 50 now as 40 doesn't give me any performance hit!

Bro-tip: Play battles with unit cards off!

I like this, however has anyone tried to make it so you can see how many people you have in your army.

You could use the "lists" button at the lower right corner of your screen. I'm also using an excel spreadsheet to organise my armies.

Ok thanks I never thought of the list button.

Can the number of units be adjusted for custum battles as well. Until now I have just set unit multiplier to 2.7 so I have about 700-800 man battalions, but this would work better as far as pathfinding etc, and would be more fun to control! I will do this for my next campaign!
    Originally Posted by Tyer032392:
    "The problem about having troops killing soldiers is that if CA implemented that, than they will earn the ire of Jack Thompson, and that is something CA doesn't need. If anyone doesn't know who he is, google "Jack Thompson"."

This is glorious!!works perfect to me and it seems that i have better performance for example having 10000 men with 30 cards than having the same with 20 cards,thnxx

Kabeloko's Avatar Biarchus

hehe, my notebook is about to suffer a little...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

fabricus, have you tried out the NTW3 mod?

They have historical battles with up to 100 units per side.

I am currently playing with 40 per side, but does anyone know if I have two separate stacks side by side when attacked will the 2nd stack be reinforcements or start on the battlefield?

The 2nd stack will start as reinforcements.

On another note; I've been using the NTW Army Organiser by Matsky. It's a must have if you want to keep track of your armies! Don't forget to rep him for his work!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=386433
    Last edited by |Quintus Sertorius|; May 28, 2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: hurrr durrr

Cool!
    Originally Posted by Tyer032392:
    "The problem about having troops killing soldiers is that if CA implemented that, than they will earn the ire of Jack Thompson, and that is something CA doesn't need. If anyone doesn't know who he is, google "Jack Thompson"."

Hi, first I'd like to congratulate you and everyone involved for your breakthrough! Although I am pretty satisfied with the results I get when playing myself, as a developer, I am interested in having this enabled at the startpos itself rather than in save games. It is impossible, as I have tried many times. If anyone here has any idea of how to enable it in the startpos itself, I'd be grateful.

Well the two values are present in the startpos.esf but the game resets them when you start a new campaign. Guess that part is hard coded...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast