Page 8 of 177 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358108 ... LastLast

Thread: [QUESTIONS] FAQ and Your Own

Cobi Wan Kenobi's Avatar Centenarius

Default Very green modder needs help

I must state beforehand that I am a very unexperienced modder. I have been trying to teach myself. Right now the only successes I have had are changing the amount of men in a unit along with other attributes, so basiclly edu and descr strat stuff. Currently, I have been trying to bring over more units from other mods and the vanilla version into this one but to no avail. I'm guessing its more than copying and pasting from one mod's edu to another. Can anyone explain for example how I would bring the dismounted ritterbruder into this mod?

If I could create my own units I would, and if I could help at all I would, but I think I'm pretty useless at this stage.

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Very green modder needs help

Enter the values into the EDU as you have done previously. Easiest way is to find a suitable replacement and just swap basic values. Then go into the modeldb and find the same unit, change the text lines to match the filename of the model and textures. Make sure the line numbers at the beginning are correct, or you'll get a ctd. Then place the textures and model in the correct folders to match the lines in the modeldb. Start game and you're away!

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

The way I would do is to get the formatted battle_models file for the Teutonic campaign that is on here somewhere. Then copy and paste the entry for the ritterbrudder into the westeros battle_models file. Then make sure you change the line at the top '22 serialization::archive 3 0 0 0 0 703 0 0 ' so it is 704. The line soldier....in the EDU refers to the model it will look for in the battle_models.

Then you will probably want to go into the data/text and find the export_units file to create some text for your unit, probably a copy and paste job would be easiest.

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Copy and paste job would work to a degree, but you'd still need to change information in the modeldb to match the texture/model file location. Also the Westeros file uses only lod0, where as vanilla uses up to 3, so you'd need to edit that out as well, which is a bit long for a new modder.

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

Default Culture / Religion

how is Culture / Religion going to be handled? There appear to be 3 general belief systems in Westeros :

1. Drowned God
    2. The 7
    3. The Faces in the Trees.

Will this play a part in the game, or is it to be culture based?

Default Re: Culture / Religion

You forgot R`hllor.

Religion will be used, no culture system.

Default Re: Culture / Religion

Can you have 4 religions?

Default Re: Westeros: Total War FAQ and questions thread

Ofc we can.

Cobi Wan Kenobi's Avatar Centenarius

thanks for the help i'll try it out

Sandy's Avatar Tiro

if memory serves you can have at least 5 religions christian catholic, christian orthodox, muslim, heretic and pagan.

(there may be more but i can't think what they are for the life of me!)

Icon10 Re: Westeros: Total War FAQ and questions thread

Some Questions and suggestions.

1. Will v1.0 include any faction specific diplomats. (Catelyn Stark) I think having faction specific diplomats would be a huge benifit to the came. For example Catelyn could have a slightly larger diplomatic sway over the Tullys and Arryns. For a faction like the Lanisters Tyrion could be the Diplomat (or a general who could enter negotiations) Tyrion's skill for example could be a higher success rate in bribing rebels or a discount for hiring mercs.

2. Please make the game specify which faction Brides or Adopted family members come from.

3. Put the wall on the map it does not need a nights watch but it should be there.

What is the most recent version available? (v.53 alpha ect.) If there is a newer version i would very much like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonemotmot View Post
    Some Questions and suggestions.

1. Will v1.0 include any faction specific diplomats. (Catelyn Stark) I think having faction specific diplomats would be a huge benifit to the came. For example Catelyn could have a slightly larger diplomatic sway over the Tullys and Arryns. For a faction like the Lanisters Tyrion could be the Diplomat (or a general who could enter negotiations) Tyrion's skill for example could be a higher success rate in bribing rebels or a discount for hiring mercs.

2. Please make the game specify which faction Brides or Adopted family members come from.

3. Put the wall on the map it does not need a nights watch but it should be there.
    1. You can`t give diplomats a bonus for negotiating with specific factions; Neither can you make a general a diplomat.

2. You can`t really track the origin of brides or adopted family members.

3. Maybe.

@Stonemotmot 0.53 is the most recent public version.

I wouldnt know if any of this is possible since i all i know how to do is edit descr_strat and those easy things but I'm just throwing out ideas.

Maybe you could have the Nights Watch as a pope like faction as people have said and they can request armies and money.

Regular factions could create buildings like dungeons that gain you favor with the nights watch. Which would be less their favor and more the peoples favor which would increase loyalty in cities and decrease the amount of unhappiness that you have in cities when you take them.

The wildlings could be a playable faction which would be awesome with the type of unique units they would get (mammoths, giants, chariots ). Their units would take multiple turns to make and turns intell next unit would be quite a few like with elves in the third age total war.

Their goal as a faction would be not to gain the Iron Throne but be the king in the north. Give them a hard or slow starting position to make up for that advantage (maybe start out with just one settlement in the Frostfangs).

Random armies of wights appearing above the wall would also be cool.

The Faith Millitant could be a small faction that doesnt start out with a settlement or give whoever owns kings landing the ability to make unique units that represent them as long as their religion is the seven.

But of course dont waste any of your time on this intell v 1.0 is done (cant wait by the way)

You can give diplomats a bonus to specific factions. it works the same way as the hatespapacy/fearspapacy traits for generals

Honestly i`ve never seen this, khatmar. Screenshot?

JonDarkstar's Avatar Foederatus

Hey team, Loved the Baratheon preview...

Was just wondering if we could get a sneak peek/ preview of the map? It looked awesome in the last preview.

Cheers

Default Game crashes before starting.

PROBLEM FIXED

So, I got the mod installed, and I can get as far as the main screen where it asks me to pick a mode.

Tutorial and Westeros Campaign do nothing except bring up a notice that says "Please select an item from the list."

Custom Battle lets me get as far as the Unit Select Screen before it crashes on me, while Quick Battle causes the screen to crash outright.

I'm running the game on Steam, and my CPU runs Windows 7 as the OS.

Anyone else have this problem or any advice to fix it?
    Last edited by Crosswinds; August 03, 2011 at 12:45 AM.

Default Re: Game crashes before starting.

Steam Users:

1. Install as directed
    2. Browse to C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Medieval II Total War\mods
    3. Rename one of the Kingdoms campaign folders (Americas, Brittania, Crusades, Teutonic) to something else
    4. Rename the Westeros folder to the name you changed in step 3
    5. Select the name you used from the Launcher

Hope this helps.

BTW, welcome to the forums Crosswinds!

Default Re: Game crashes before starting.

See now, I followed all the instructions to the letter, and the mod still won't run.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the error messages I get about not being connected to the update server, But I assume Steam installed the newest version when I bought it.

Hum. Anyway, so I know what's SUPPOSED to work and what isn't, what mode should I enter to play the mod? I'm assuming custom battle, but I'm not entirely sure.