Page 18 of 177 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627284368118 ... LastLast

Thread: [QUESTIONS] FAQ and Your Own

Default Re: ai

Quote Originally Posted by Heart of Madness View Post
    I would say no, because then they'd have more men then everyone else available, which would not suit the Riverlands.
    Yeah, but it seems like a possible way to compensate for the Starks not providing them with any help (like they should do).

No, the Northmen numbered even less than the Riverman. Not very accurate.

Plus, the Riverlands have a lot of settlements. It would be hell to take while they would have half stacks roaming across the Riverlands flying the Tully banner. Not very realistic. What is realistic is what Toho said was already happening to them.

Again i say don`t worry. By "Not being harsh" i meant that there won`t be garrisons in every backwater castle or that suddenly huge numbers of good troops will spawn in those that`ll have such a script.

So castles like Dragonstone or Storm's End will get garrison scripts?

Likely, yes. Garrisons representing peasants that took shelter in the castle, hastily drafted troops etc.

No, the Northmen numbered even less than the Riverman. Not very accurate.
    It's not simply about numbers. As it stands, the Tully's get the stuffing beaten out of them from the start, and Toho confirmed above that this is still the case in the version/map the devs are currently using. Sure, the Tully's were under the hammer in the books, but that essentially meant they were holed up in their castles whilst the Mountain and friends burned their crops, put their surrounding viliages to the sword, etc. Whereas in the game, this generally translates to many of their settlements being taken (often including Riverrun!) and them losing much if not all of their strength. Not very accurate.

Plus, the Riverlands have a lot of settlements. It would be hell to take while they would have half stacks roaming across the Riverlands flying the Tully banner. Not very realistic. What is realistic is what Toho said was already happening to them.
    To clarify, I'm not proposing all settlements have garrison scripts - I think Lordinquisitor has the right idea, where certain, major settlements benefit from it. I just played a game with Stannis where within 10 turns Renly had taken King's Landing from Joffrey and I had taken it from Renly. A garrison script could be effective at limiting this, not to mention it matches the lore of the books, in which major settlements were rarely taken. It's not much fun if, say, I'm playing as the Martell's and I basically know that if I move fast I can sack Oldtown easily because it's almost certain to be very poorly defended. Not very realistic.

Lordinquisitor had spoken, and he stated that peasants and militia would make up the garrison script. However, if this is done, I think one unit of knights on horse should be spawned to help in any settlement.

I support this idea Lord, but obviously the garrison shouldn't threaten the besiegers outside in terms of size much, right?

Also, you should make a garrison script for every settlement like this. Though much less in numbers for lesser castles. But lesser castles still have their own knights to call on.

Timur Amir's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by TouchyAndalou View Post

To clarify, I'm not proposing all settlements have garrison scripts - I think Lordinquisitor has the right idea, where certain, major settlements benefit from it. I just played a game with Stannis where within 10 turns Renly had taken King's Landing from Joffrey and I had taken it from Renly. A garrison script could be effective at limiting this, not to mention it matches the lore of the books, in which major settlements were rarely taken. It's not much fun if, say, I'm playing as the Martell's and I basically know that if I move fast I can sack Oldtown easily because it's almost certain to be very poorly defended. Not very realistic.
    Actually, it rather is; after all, Kings Landing wasn't exactly the utopia of magical-instant-defenses in the book, and really only survived due to reinforcements, Stannis derping, and Tyrion's wit. Otherwise, it would have fallen.

As for settlements like Oldtown, a small garrison script does seem in order. Of course, a decent raiding force should be able to take it without a problem; after all, such manuevers are mainstay for factions such as Greyjoy that rely on Ambushing strategies.

Quote Originally Posted by Timur Amir View Post
    Actually, it rather is; after all, Kings Landing wasn't exactly the utopia of magical-instant-defenses in the book, and really only survived due to reinforcements, Stannis derping, and Tyrion's wit. Otherwise, it would have fallen.
    Fair point now that you mention it, Stannis had a large host whilst King's Landing only really had a few thousand Gold Cloaks to defend it IIRC. However, I'd argue in terms of gameplay, King's Landing should be among the most difficult settlements to take, as gaining the Iron throne should be a challenge, not something that comes easy a few turns in.

Quote Originally Posted by TouchyAndalou View Post
    Fair point now that you mention it, Stannis had a large host whilst King's Landing only really had a few thousand Gold Cloaks to defend it IIRC. However, I'd argue in terms of gameplay, King's Landing should be among the most difficult settlements to take, as gaining the Iron throne should be a challenge, not something that comes easy a few turns in.
    have you seen how the Joffrey AI plays? I'd say KL is hardly easy to take (every game I've played, they ALWAYS have about 2 full stacks waiting outside the filled capitol. And the AI, if it manages to take it, tends to attempt the same (although it is worth noting that they never quite surpass Joffrey in their obsession to garrison)

Quote Originally Posted by Timur Amir View Post
    have you seen how the Joffrey AI plays? I'd say KL is hardly easy to take (every game I've played, they ALWAYS have about 2 full stacks waiting outside the filled capitol. And the AI, if it manages to take it, tends to attempt the same (although it is worth noting that they never quite surpass Joffrey in their obsession to garrison)
    To be fair, I generally tend to ignore King's Landing as most of the factions I've played usually have their hands full elsewhere.

My most recent game was with Stannis however and after quickly moving inland and taking two Joffrey settlements, Renly soon after took King's Landing on (I presume) his first attempt. Not too long after that I moved a large army outside King's Landing (without attacking) and Renly did have an army hanging about outside, but they soon moved off (for some unknown reason - perhaps to fight the Lannisters?) and I seized my opportunity. Maybe had I not attacked so early in the game, they would have had more of a chance to place the full stacks you mentioned.

Maybe the fact that he takes it lies directly on the fact that he has the best well rounded army surrounding him at the start of the game. Not to mention, Storm's End seems to continously pump out armies. All the other settlements Renly owns tend to be ignored. Stannis' first move is always to take Rook's Rest, and when he takes that, he takes Maidenpool. Too bad I always catch him there though. Gotta love the Tullys.

Sandy's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Westeros: Total War FAQ and questions thread

Does garrison script still work on rebel held settlements? If you kill off the Joffrey faction with assassins etc. (which is usually my strategy with Stannis) will the garrison script still be activated even though the settlement is held by rebels?
    "A Lannister always pays his debts". For everyone else there's Mastercard.

No

Maybe the fact that he takes it lies directly on the fact that he has the best well rounded army surrounding him at the start of the game. Not to mention, Storm's End seems to continously pump out armies. All the other settlements Renly owns tend to be ignored. Stannis' first move is always to take Rook's Rest, and when he takes that, he takes Maidenpool. Too bad I always catch him there though. Gotta love the Tullys.
    true, but I always see him crushed by Joff anyways, usually due to a war with Dorne (is it just me, or do Houses Martell and Tyrell usually end up holding half the map? in fact, I've only ever seen Highgarden take KL by itself)

Okay, I ran into something odd....well, I noticed that I never got a message for the Lord of Casterly Rock dieing in one of my campaigns, but when I had finally chopped through all the minor family members to reach Tywin, I found "Martyn Lord of Casterly Rock"....so what happened to Tywin? I never got a message, and yet suddenly it seems that our friend GRRM has crowned himself Lord of the Rock!

Default Kingship if leader dies?

I took every province besides Winterfell when Stannis died of old age at the Dreadfort. Now I'm no longer king. How do I reclaim kingship?

Default Re: Kingship if leader dies?

Is Alester Florent dead? If so, you simply need to wait awhile until kingship is offered to your heir.

ChivalrousKiller's Avatar Domesticus

I'm a totally newbie on this topic, just started reading the books, so I'm sorry if this is obvious

Will Eddard Stark, my favorite character, be included in the mod?

Yes.

If you only started reading the books please finish at least the first before you play the mod or read in this forum- To avoid Spoilers.