Page 3 of 177 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853103 ... LastLast

Thread: [QUESTIONS] FAQ and Your Own

Default Re: Westeros: Total War FAQ and questions thread

Just a quick question; How exactly do I proclaim myself as the King of the North? I control all of the north, the riverlands, the Iron Islands and all of the West + a few Arryn areas. I read somewhere that it required a treasury with 20 000, however I reached that amount many turns ago but I have yet to get the option to proclaim myself as king. Is there some specific thing that you have to do in order to get the option?

Captain Zoran's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Giz View Post
    Just a quick question; How exactly do I proclaim myself as the King of the North? I control all of the north, the riverlands, the Iron Islands and all of the West + a few Arryn areas. I read somewhere that it required a treasury with 20 000, however I reached that amount many turns ago but I have yet to get the option to proclaim myself as king. Is there some specific thing that you have to do in order to get the option?
    In the alpha I belive that when you reached the set conditions, the advisor would pop up with a message about the kingship, and you can either accept or refuse. I don't know if it comes again, cuz' Ive always chosen to become King
    The friendly neighbourhood hobo with a shotgun of Westeros: Total War, bringing the Game of Thrones to life!
    Check out my new LOTR fan(tastic) fiction here: The Accountant's Trial

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zoran View Post
    In the alpha I belive that when you reached the set conditions, the advisor would pop up with a message about the kingship, and you can either accept or refuse. I don't know if it comes again, cuz' Ive always chosen to become King
    Aha I see, I guess I might have missed that message then.

Kambe's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by khatmar View Post
    Correct me if Im wrong, but all the Greyjoys are infantrymen
    IMO Tyrion should also be infantry unit type general

Don't preorder games!

Quote Originally Posted by Kambe View Post
    IMO Tyrion should also be infantry unit type general
    In both battles Tyrion takes part in, the Green Fork and the Blackwater, he is mounted

Guys... what about the direwolves? Have you thought about doing something else than just an ancillary? F.E. I can quite easily imagine a strong "late" bodyguard unit for the starks which consists only of one wolf (a special one, for Robb and Bran obviously) and the general himself. There are tons of models and skins for that. I even think that in Third Age, one of the unique generals of Orcs (either Gundabad or Mistyies) consists only of himself (dismounted) and a single warg.

So, how about that? I get it, that it would be better in terms of the game, to have a standard 54guys bodyguard unit, but hey, just imagine charging that Robb of yours with Grey Wind beside him...

EDIT : I humbly request the noblest of nobles to forgive me this outrageous mistake and put my post to the suggestions thread
    Last edited by khatmar; July 10, 2011 at 04:54 AM.

Maybe it's possible to model Grey Wind as Sergeant/Standard bearer (unique model) for a normal sized body guard unit?
    I'm very much against the Robb (+/- Direwolf) Hero Unit, since there are no heros in ASoIaF. In a real battle, just the two of them would be dead faster than you could say "Crossbow"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|>Deus ex Machinegun<|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I dont think they would. Well, this is Westeros not real battle we are talking about and Im pretty sure you all (book fans) remember the quote "Ive won every battle, yet somehow Im still losing the war."

I was talking about a real battle in Westeros (what else?). And he didn't win his battles by charging in Manga-Style with his oversized sword and giant-wolf, killing enemies by the dozen, but with cunning strategy and his army by his side.
    Pardon me if i exagerrate and misjudge your intention there, but that's what i think of when i hear "Hero Units"

Edit: To clarify on Westeros vs. "Real Battle", a thing me and a lot of people cherish about Martins work is, that it's believable.
    It's as realistic as fantasy goes, almost a historical fiction, if it wasn't for dragons. His characters are normal men, fighting normal (or you could say "real") battles, facing the possibility of death. This sets ASoIaF apart from most other works of fiction, and i'd like to see it stay that way
    Last edited by Fulgrim88; July 10, 2011 at 05:07 AM.

Captain Zoran's Avatar Ducenarius

I dont think they would. Well, this is Westeros not real battle we are talking about and Im pretty sure you all (book fans) remember the quote "Ive won every battle, yet somehow Im still losing the war."
    Well, he didn't won it by charging in himself, alone. He won them because ingenuity, the help of the Blackfish (and direwolf in the occasion of the Golden Tooth) a tactical sense and of course, his troops.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    One might say he did loose it when he charged in alone... Into Jeyne Westerling's sacred ground...

And let's not forget about the young squires and lordlings sons who accompany him into battle. For instance in the Whispering Woods, several of these young ones threw themselves infront of Robb to hinder the Kingslayer from reaching him. It's in my opinion, the clearest sign of his battle bodyguards.

And as Fulgrim stated, the thing about ASoIaF is that there are no "pure heroes". Sure we have the Mountain, the Hound, Jamie, Oberyn Martell, Barristan Selmy, Bronze Yohn etc who all are exceptional fighters but as we all know, none of them are immortal, and none of them would charge into battle alone.

EDIT: And aye, as Fulgrim said...
    The friendly neighbourhood hobo with a shotgun of Westeros: Total War, bringing the Game of Thrones to life!
    Check out my new LOTR fan(tastic) fiction here: The Accountant's Trial

Quote Originally Posted by Fulgrim88 View Post
    I was talking about a real battle in Westeros (what else?). And he didn't win his battles by charging in Manga-Style with his oversized sword and giant-wolf, killing enemies by the dozen, but with cunning strategy and his army by his side.
    Pardon me if i exagerrate and misjudge your intention there, but that's what i think of when i hear "Hero Units"

Edit: To clarify on Westeros vs. "Real Battle", a thing me and a lot of people cherish about Martins work is, that it's believable.
    It's as realistic as fantasy goes, almost a historical fiction, if it wasn't for dragons. His characters are normal men, fighting normal (or you could say "real") battles, facing the possibility of death. This sets ASoIaF apart from most other works of fiction, and i'd like to see it stay that way
    Nobody charges into battle alone in these books, and Robb's bodyguard should be his bunch of younger northern nobles (Karstark's sons etc etc etc), the idea for Grey Wind as a standard bearer or something is brilliant as well.

I never said "hero" anywhere so why the hell you poke me about it so? And the idea of charging... do you never zoom into your cavalry and just enjoy the look how they charge into some enemy formation?? gosh, thats all I meant.

And if you want to hypothesize further, Robb never won an actual "worthy" battle. He never faced Tywin and thus never defeated him. Oxcross was just a bunch of poor recruits and some snob Lannister dude.

And Whispering Wood? Come on, that was just Jaimes plain stupidity. If he had not taken that morning stroll through the lovely forest, there would be no Riverrun, no Young Wolf, no King in the North...

So dont go on me with the hero stuff, I never said such. And dont get me wrong (again), I love Robb, its just that theres nothing heroic about him at all if you think on all this thoroughly.

Regarding my exclamation about the differences between Westeros and Real battle; do you honestly think that what happened beneath Storms End between Renly and Stannis was believable? (rhetoric question, please do not answer)

I never said "hero" anywhere so why the hell you poke me about it so? And the idea of charging... do you never zoom into your cavalry and just enjoy the look how they charge into some enemy formation?? gosh, thats all I meant.

And if you want to hypothesize further, Robb never won an actual "worthy" battle. He never faced Tywin and thus never defeated him. Oxcross was just a bunch of poor recruits and some snob Lannister dude.

And Whispering Wood? Come on, that was just Jaimes plain stupidity. If he had not taken that morning stroll through the lovely forest, there would be no Riverrun, no Young Wolf, no King in the North...

So dont go on me with the hero stuff, I never said such. And dont get me wrong (again), I love Robb, its just that theres nothing heroic about him at all if you think on all this thoroughly.

Regarding my exclamation about the differences between Westeros and Real battle; do you honestly think that what happened beneath Storms End between Renly and Stannis was believable? (rhetoric question, please do not answer)
    I agree with this, there is a -tonne of stuff in the books which is completely unrealistic. The books are more realistic than most fantasy but describing it as approaching historical fiction is pretty absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulgrim88 View Post
    Maybe it's possible to model Grey Wind as Sergeant/Standard bearer (unique model) for a normal sized body guard unit?
    I'm very much against the Robb (+/- Direwolf) Hero Unit, since there are no heros in ASoIaF. In a real battle, just the two of them would be dead faster than you could say "Crossbow"
    That`s a possibility that we have already discussed. It seems doable, but you know there are things that are of an higher priority and we lack the manpower to realize every great idea we have.

@Khatmar, There's no point arguing. I wanted to state my opinion on small unit sizes and I have.

As for a different topic; I was wondering about the Greyjoy Faction. It's only natural that the characters featured most prominently in the books would be their Generals & Royal family - however, who's to captain their fleets?
    Lorewise, Ironborn Leaders are Captains and Admirals as much as Generals, but as far as i know Shogun 2 is the only TW game where it's possible for a character to be both. Or is it?
    Are there any scripts allowing for, say, Victarion, to be both member of the Royal family and admiral of the Iron Fleet?

Seeing how little love naval warfare gets in MTW2, it would feel queer to have Victarion "reduced" to a mere admiral (with no model of his own and no ancilliary to speak of), but it would feel just as wrong to have someone else command the Iron Fleet...

The easiest way would be to have two characters of the same name. Those of us who want immersion wouldn't move the fleet of Admiral Victarion without General Victarion being aboard, and those who don't care about such details could just shrug at it and use them as separate units
    Last edited by Fulgrim88; July 10, 2011 at 08:51 AM.

Well, he`ll likely get a special ancillary. As you pointed out medieval 2 is pretty restricted in that aspect.. And if we have to choose i guess that most people would like to see him on the battlefield in all his terrible splendor instead of making him an admiral.

That was about small unit sizes? Oh riiiight, sorry then, my dear fellow!

(p.s. ever noticed how that Sauron in TA is all by himself in the general unit? ofc, Robb aint no Sauron, but still...)

Default Kingdoms Total War?

I don't think this mod is best suited to Kingdoms Total War. One of the most integral parts of this mod is the questionable loyalty of all Houses towards their "allies" and superiors. Because of this, there needs to be some serious "disorder based scripts" which can create factions from rebelling provinces. I don't think Kingdoms can do this, can it? Only ETW and STW2...

Default Re: Kingdoms Total War?

Apart from the fact that you can't just easily shift a mod to another game without loosing most of the work, there are also a lot of disadvantages in the code of both ETW and STW2. Long Story short; there's a great deal of hardcoded material that is either impossible to change, or has not yet been fully understood.
    It's pretty hard to stray too much from the Original Setting of both games.

Hence, MTW2 Kingdoms is by far the best TW when it comes to Total Conversions. And even here, the secret to build custom settlements has only recently been discovered.

In the end, you'd loose a lot of moddability and features to gain one

Default Re: Kingdoms Total War?

You can't modify the campaign map for Empire or Shogun 2. So, unless you want to play with the houses of Westeros on a map of 18th century Europe, Asia, and the Americas, or in Japan, you're out of luck.