Thread: [QUESTIONS] FAQ and Your Own

Default Re: [QUESTIONS] FAQ and Your Own

So we're half way through 2017 and i really don't think that this mod is going to be released this year...

DrEvilsPjs's Avatar Civis

I mean yeah most people don't expect the 1.0 release to ever come out, since most of us have been playing for 7 years and waiting. Hotseats keep me busy and the submods are great though, so if you are looking for something fun to keep your mind off of 1.0 never coming out, those are very fun alternatives!

Reaper_of_Souls's Avatar Foederatus
    Imperial City, Minas Tirith, Casterly Rock

It's unlikely they'll release it this year but who knows. At least we can entertain ourselves with GoT S7, the submods and the ASOIAF books.

Guess that means Soul better get ready with the upload.

Korpskog's Avatar Praepositus

I thought the mod would be done by now, at least ut feelt like that a a while back :p I strongly recomend People who want the mod to be released just learn how to mod and offer to help rather then sitting and pressing refresh button on twc. Its not rocket sience...
    "Får jag kalla dig Bajen? Det är lättare att komma ihåg..."

What needs doing? How many active team members are there? There is no way the onus should fall on the fans (if "fans" is even the right word anymore for the people still haunting this page) to take up the slack if we aren't being apprised of the state of the mod. If the team needs more coders or whatever to get this thing done, then there should be a recruitment thread front and center detailing what work is required and what kind of modders are needed to do it.

I know my commend may be concieved as a hate message by some but i'll take the rik. Even though i joined the TwC community in late 2015 i have watched the progress of this mod since mid 2014 and i swore from what i've heard that the mod would come out some time during 2015, oh boy i was wrong. I have no doubt that if and when it is released it will be a very good mod but it will fall short to the hype that it's been given. It's been years since we had a preview , aside from 2-3 custom settlements and by custom i mean added a few buildings and been given a paint job to match the houses which they belong, All this time we've heard that the mod is almost complete aside from scripting and coding, and to that i say this, no matter how many scrips it may have this ain't Crusader Kings 2. I've watched the previews by Soul with interest and i know he had every good intention when he did that but in my opinion and also others which i talked about it backfired and it backfired badly. Yes it showed that it will be a good mod but not THAT good of a mod that takes almost 4,5 years to complete when there are other amazing mods which took half the time. I know that it's been improved since the version that Soul has but it'll still fall short. For a mod that is in creation for almost 5 years it should have things as : Targaryens, White walkers and units for every strong bannermen House and MANY MANY others things. The creators of the mod were always very secretive about the progress and almost always responded with irony every time they took some criticism which did not help. I'll end with this , it's pretty ironic that the thread is named westeros total war when the main mod is still in it's 0.53 version for 8 years.

I love the wave of hate that washes over this thread every other month. I also tire of responding to it, show a little respect, or don't expect people to work for free or any faster for you. It frankly makes me sick. Stannis, your post is an utter waste of my time to read and does nothing to help anyone. You should frankly be ashamed to have written it on any mods forum. I have stated time and time again that vented blind frustration gets nobody anywhere.

If you have a point to make you can make it without ranting. If you cant make your point without being civil, chances are your point is not worth typing or you've not thought it through nearly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by AnxiousAndroid42 View Post
    What needs doing?
    ^ That's a question. I have no idea. From what I can grasp what little remains is scripting and bug/error fixes, nothing much beyond that. Don't quote me on it. The team has however recently encountered some drama with one of it's members but that is not my place to divulge; this has seemingly slowed workload somewhat from what I can see but shouldn't have any lasting effect. That is what it is.

Edit: When all is said and done I'm going to make a History of Westeros: Total War video covering the long list of drama the mods suffered through... might enlighten a few people...

Alright man, fair enough. Just please, if you can, get a hold of Hannibal or whoever else would know and let's get a thread detailing the work that remains to be done and whether there are any active members doing it. After that, you will be completely justified in throwing it back in our faces whenever we stomp our feet and scream and demand white walkers/release dates (as I am probably more guilty than most of doing), but until then these whiny little outbursts are pretty much our only way of actively guaging the state of the mod.

PS re the video, yeah, I for one would be very interested in watching that.
    Last edited by AnxiousAndroid42; June 29, 2017 at 07:47 AM.

Last edited by AnxiousAndroid42; June 29, 2017 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Sorry, double post

Perhaps Soul is right and i took it a step too far, i have nothing against him or anyone else for that matter, but i'm sure that many will agree with me on that the amount of irony that we've received over the years by the westeros team may have contributed to our outbreaks. I knew it would be conceived as a hate message even if it wasn't and i apologise if i offended someone but while we're in that matter no one has ever supported the dozens of fans that have politely commented on the thread about westeros :TW and have taken responds full of irony, neglect and sometimes even minor insults.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulGamesInc View Post
    I love the wave of hate that washes over this thread every other month. I also tire of responding to it, show a little respect, or don't expect people to work for free or any faster for you. It frankly makes me sick. Stannis, your post is an utter waste of my time to read and does nothing to help anyone. You should frankly be ashamed to have written it on any mods forum. I have stated time and time again that vented blind frustration gets nobody anywhere.

If you have a point to make you can make it without ranting. If you cant make your point without being civil, chances are your point is not worth typing or you've not thought it through nearly enough.
    Nevertheless you have to admit, that the way of communicating between modders and followers here is strange. Every two or three years or so there is a preview or an announcement that says that the mod is nearly finished. Then, when after months of silence, someone asks how it is going, a team member gets pissed and gives an ironical answer. Thats pretty much the history so far.

I don't understand why there can't be an open and honest communication. Why can't simply someone from the team state something like "Look, this is how far we are at the moment. This is why progress is so slow. We could need some help with this or that." I am sure that there are be people here who would be willing to help this great mod getting finished if not most people asking about progress would get mocked with ironical one liners. Not everyone who asks about progress is ranting or showing disrespect for the unpaid time that is put into this project.

Quote Originally Posted by sneahcst View Post
    Thats pretty much the history so far.
    That fact that you think that's the history shows how badly that video is needed.

That fact that you think that's the history shows how badly that video is needed.
    I know that there has been happening a lot behind the scenes like for example a complete exchange of the modding team. But you're right, a video explaining things would be a good start. Nevertheless I would appreciate a more open way of communication and I am sure this would improve the overall situation for everyone involved and the mod itself in many ways. I really don't understand why the team is so closed up concerning information policy.

^ That's a question. I have no idea. From what I can grasp what little remains is scripting and bug/error fixes, nothing much beyond that. Don't quote me on it. The team has however recently encountered some drama with one of it's members but that is not my place to divulge; this has seemingly slowed workload somewhat from what I can see but shouldn't have any lasting effect. That is what it is.

Edit: When all is said and done I'm going to make a History of Westeros: Total War video covering the long list of drama the mods suffered through... might enlighten a few people...
    Good, it can be required reading before one downloads the mod

Can have it play when you load up the mod. "Welcome to Westeros." The video will say. "Now before you play, be quiet, sit down, and listen to my tale of woe..."

The mod needs lots of coding support and bug testing.
    About 3 or 4 years ago I was under the impression that the only thing left was adding the units to the game.

However during the long wait of getting these guys into the game other people, bored out of their mind, started parallel projects.
    Like Ancillaries, More complicated scripts, More character descriptions and so on. From what I understand is that this bloating made the bug fixing and coding an absolute chore that no one wants to approach with a ten foot pole besides a brave few whom now have lives of their own with very limited time to concentrate on.
    So in short all the pieces of puzzle is there and ready to go. It just needs someone/s to put it together.

Due to this inactivity submod have taken center stage in this community whereas I feel if these submodders with coding skills helped the main team with the mod would have released long ago. Like I said before this mod could have probably released back in 2014 if it had a coding wizard. Since 2014 its been a revolving door of people coming in, promising many things but come delivery time they disappear or some others join only to find they have nothing worthwhile to add since its already done. Though these members tend to stick around and use the mod files for themselves.

As for Dramas since I joined there have been 2 or 3 if you REALLY stretch it.
    1) was a debate between members on unit creations. Like "the color is off" or "the shields look like the show! we hate the show!" and etc... small time stuff that lasted barely a week or two. There were some other debates like this for music, intro screen, movie and pretty much everything but it was more of a heated debate than a drama.
    2) The other drama was more communication related. Basically the team was divided into two. The TWC team and the Steam Chat team. Decisions were made without everyone being present and that caused some conflict but again this was short lived and all was made well when the steam chat group became virtually the whole team and all decisions were discussed on the site for all to see.
    3) The final drama is actually way more serious. Unlike the other issues it has little to do with the 1.0 itself but rather its contents. I will not go into details for this but I would imagine an official announcement will be made here.

And that's pretty much the history of WTW since then to now.
    There no video necessary methinks.

PS. I don't think Dorne ever got done.
    If so then best case scenario is to use Broken Crescent models and re-texture them.
    Last edited by Toho; June 30, 2017 at 07:58 PM.

At the risk of exposing my ignorance, would it be possible to strip away these scripts and work toward the release of a simplified version of 1.0? I mean, once the actual mod is released, I'm sure there will be a frenzy of sub-mod activity, a la third age. Maybe the best route would be to get a pared back version of 1.0 in the hands of the sub-moddders and then let them work to bring it to the level of complexity that can't, apparently, be reached with just the current team.

I was in the camp of releasing it in beta format and someone would eventually fix it which would later get incorporated into the 1.0 however the team decided for a complete and bug free version instead. Which they do have a point in doing so.
    The current game is not really up to par to what it should be considering how long its been in development and how much time "technically" is left to finish it.
    As to answer your question regarding bloating. No idea.
    Last edited by Toho; June 30, 2017 at 09:17 PM.

Perhaps a random modding god called Gigantus happens to be around and free to have a look at your script issues, I've heard he's pretty good at that stuff
    Last edited by xHolyCrusader; June 30, 2017 at 07:53 PM.