Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bow General

Default Bow General

UPDATE: H Con is the one updating the mod and adding new features, such as a Yari/Yumi (archer and lancer) general. Go to #47 to see his latest update.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojtmgdbpj2...%20H%20Con.rar

bowgeneral.pack: General has the Swooping Crane ability.
    bowgeneralwithflaming.pack: General has the Swooping Crane and Fire Arrows abilities.
    bowgeneralop.pack: General has the Swooping Crane, Second Wind and Rapid Advance abilities.
    bowgeneralwithflamingop.pack: General has the Swooping Crane, Second Wind, Rapid Advance and Fire Arrows abilities.

They're movie files, so to install them just drop them into your data folder.

All credits go to Unahim and H Con.

Spoiler for Old content
    Hi! I've noticed your general can use a bow in multiplayer, so I'm requesting if this could be done in single player. I know most of the multiplayer features (skill trees, daimyo's armor and such) are practically impossible to mod on SP, but making a general unit that uses a bow shouldn't be very difficult (though I'm not sure).

I think adding a bow to the vanilla general unit is enough, so you can use it like melee cavalry or bow cavalry.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Unahim has made it, go to post #7.
    Last edited by xxon; July 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM.

Default Re: Bow General

Is adding a bow to the general unit difficult? I know how to make simple unit edits in ETW and NTW, but it seems those tables are locked as of now in Shogun 2 :/

Shouldn't be too hard at all, I will look into it for you tomorrow and will keep you updated here.

Thanks a lot ^^ +rep

pretorian's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Ihre Ausführung View Post
    Shouldn't be too hard at all, I will look into it for you tomorrow and will keep you updated here.

Yeah!!! If You could do it, it would be great thing

Any news on this? Has anyone been able to do it?

It was really easy, I think testing it took longer than making it :p
    With this, your general will have a bow, superior ranged stats(it's a small unit after all)+ the swooping crane ability, and all while retaining his melee use.

One note: It'll work on the generic "generals" in custom battles, but not on the named generals in custom battles, as they have separate tables, and I couldn't be bothered to edit them all one by one for something so trivial :p

Bowgeneralwithflaming can use fire arrows, the other one can't.

Fixed melee weapons: 10/06/2011 (European notation)
    Last edited by Unahim; June 10, 2011 at 10:55 AM.

Wow thanks a lot! Gonna test it right now, +rep

BTW it's mod or movie?
    Last edited by xxon; June 04, 2011 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxon View Post
    Wow thanks a lot! Gonna test it right now, +rep

BTW it's mod or movie?
    Movie, just for convenience sake :p I've been playing the campaign with it, seems to work just fine.

Thank you, Unahim! Maybe someone can update the title to indicate the mod is available?

^I forgot, I've now changed the title to [Released]

Also, for the people who've tested the mod so far, do you feel the generals need flaming arrows?(like they do in the avatar multiplayer)

If so, I could add that.

I've played a few battles with this, this is actually a great idea, apart from the fact that you get a far more capable general, the survival rate of AI generals is greatly increased, so that unless you wipe out your enemy, there is a substantial chance that the enemy leader will be among the survivors, which is much more realistic.

Flaming Arrows would be nice, particularly if enabled by default (ie, without tech). It means your general can take out annoying doors/towers early on. Whistling arrows, while nice, would probably be stupid and doesn't thematically fit. How is the range comparable to say, Bow Ashigaru? It may be a little silly if a General could kite Bow Ashigaru/Samurai indefinately..

Edit: are they? Had no idea. Alrighty then.
    Last edited by Charsi; June 07, 2011 at 02:26 PM.

Yeah, I'm actually starting to think it's fine as it is... Flaming arrows on cav is a bit weird anyway, what with horses being afraid of fire :p

But then again, who cares about stuff like that? Added a flaming arrow version to post 7, but you'll still need to research it I believe, not entirely sure.
    Last edited by Unahim; June 07, 2011 at 03:23 PM.

Request: Can you do the same trickery for Samurai Retainers? (ie, give Samurai Retainers a bow)

Nice idea

You can use shogun_yumi as the warscape ID and you should put sabre as the melee weapon as when they engage in melee I noticed nothing was showing in their hands.

I made a couple of other minor changes, removed flame arrow, removed swooping crane.

How can you "remove" flaming arrows, if it was an optional choice? :p

Anyway, fixed the melee weapons in the above versions as well.
    Last edited by Unahim; June 10, 2011 at 10:54 AM.

H Con's Avatar Senator

If anyone wants it, I've made a version of this mod which gives bows to ALL generals, including the named ones in custom battles, as well as those in historical battles (including the Limited Edition battle and the Gamestop battle). All credits to Unahim, I just took 15 minutes of my time to add it to those generals.

I've made versions with and without fire arrows. Swooping crane is included in both versions.
    UN: All problems would be solved if everyone could just sit down and talk.
    Bin Laden:But the problem is that everyo--
    Navy Seal: RATATATATATA!
    Another Navy Seal: RATATATATA!
    Pokémon Trainer: RATTATA! USE SCRATCH!
    *dust settles*
    Al Zawahiri: --that everyone must speak Arabic first!

Bow General Mod for Total War: Shogun II

Im keen for all generals

Also, any update on the Samurai retainer bows?

I just want to say THANK YOU for making one of my gripes for the past 5 years a reality to H Con, xxon, and of course Unahim for figuring out the original edit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast