View Poll Results: How often do you have the siege AI bug while playing DarthMod

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do not notice the Siege AI bug anymore.

7 14.89%
  • Not too often as in Vanilla.

18 38.30%
  • Quite often. I think DarthMod has not fixed the bug.

10 21.28%
  • Not sure.

12 25.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Siege bug Fixed by DarthMod?

Default Siege bug Fixed by DarthMod?

I know that vanilla users suffer from the dreaded idle AI bug during siege attacks:
    "Reinforcements sit in the corner and do not participate in the siege attack or sometimes a single army prefers to wander around than attack the walls"
    From version 2.0 and up of the mod (as I remember) I have yet to anticipate it in my games.
    But maybe I do not have sufficient game hours and this still happens.

So, how often do you see this bug by playing DarthMod?

*Note*
    It is important that you vote, so to understand if some values I have tweaked affect it positively. Then I can share this information with the developers, helping them maybe to fix the bug in their next patch.

Default Re: Siege bug Fixed by DarthMod?

You mean when the ally's reinforcements just sit in the corner?
    If not, which bug are you referring to?
    All roads lead to Rome101. Also, squirrels.

I actually had a major, 5 stack siege in my Shimazu campaign last night, and the AI certainly did not idle Now, if only the reinforcements would come at me as a group instead of one by one...but you can't have everything.

I can't vote because I don't have enough posts.
    Last edited by treehouse; May 24, 2011 at 08:24 AM.

I am not sure about idle AI in Vanilla because I don't think I play much. As in Darthmod, AI can't wait to attack me in three or four different directions during a siege battle. I hope Sega wouldn't be mad at me that I don't play their version of the game.
    Last edited by Liquidj; May 24, 2011 at 08:30 AM.
    The key to problems is usually the ignition key

Yes Rome that mostly about reinforcements but generally it could happen with single armies wandering around the map and not attack. I will clarify above.
    Thank you all for the first reports. Keep them coming, because I really need to know this before I offer the next DarthMod.

I've had only one instance where an AI army "waited" in a siege, but I seriously doubt it was because of this bug. I had repelled two prior full-stack armies that came at my castle and there were only a few minutes left on the battle timer, and the third army was trickling in reinforcements as the routers got off the map. However, instead of just coming at me one by one, they formed up in a relatively secure region and waited until they had all their remaining force there, and then 2-3 units detached from the group and began walking around. It seemed more like a maneuver to lure me out than just random movement to me. Eventually those units had a little skirmish with some of my cavalry that was coming back after chasing routing units, but the battle ended there (because the time finally ran out) before either side had any serious casualties. In this case I think it was simply a maneuver of the AI after losing some three thousand soldiers than a real bug.

I haven't yet seen any of the silliness like in vanilla where the whole army would simply sit around in the open without even getting into formation and waiting for me even though they were going to lose if time ran out.

Once I had a single general's unit run around away from the action while their army attacked in a siege (they did this the entire battle). Never had an army sit idle, however.
    ~ Ray Berti

diadok's Avatar Senator

The last time i had a look at that :
    - on castles in plain map, no more bug.
    - on castles in moutain map, always the bug.

Have seen it several times. Unfortunatly, it means there is something very weird in AI units reaction : they don't attack because they don't "see" the castle ? in moutain map, i provoc them with cavalry going outside the castle to make them pursuit me, it works sometimes good sometimes bad...

I won't vote before i have experimented what happen in last version of DM.

You like EPIC battles ? watch Diadok's Gallery, play Epic Late Campaign for TATW 2.1
    "They rob the poor under the cover of law, forsooth, and we plunder the rich under the protection of our own courage." (Black Sam Bellamy)

Sorry, Darth. So far I only get into a one siege battle with AI. In 2.1v and attacking Castle. I don't remember if my AI ally is the reinforcement or me but we start the our attack almost at the same time. From what I remember, AI ally sent one unit after other, they didn't attack as full force. I think that is the problem but they didn't provide some distraction.
    The key to problems is usually the ignition key

The reinforcements work this way by default, they come not as unison when all unit slots are used but enter when friendly units rout the battlefield. The siege bug makes the AI idle.
    I just had a siege battle and the reinforcements were used properly again. So, me I have yet to see the siege bug.

Darth,

I haven't seen this bug with 2.1 really. The only bug I had was my reinforcement army didn't come to the battle, but that's a whole different story. In vanilla, if I brought a horse unit out and threw him around the map - confusing the AI allmost - sometimes I could initiate the bug itself by doing so. I might try and see if it still does this. So far though, I haven't seen it. (Also only really seen it on the mountain map with the Buddha statue/bridge)

crunchyfrog's Avatar Semisalis

This bug mostly occurs on the coastal and hill castle maps.

If you have a unit outside your walls or the the main AI army is completely routed, the AI reinforcements will usually move forward to attack. In my experience.

You suggest that you maybe corrected the bug? But how? AFAIK You haven't done any adjustments to the BAI? (If that is even possible)

The patch did alittle tweaking to the BAI afaik. And has almost made the bug go away.

There are values that affect the AI and most importantly, if there is a wrong db value somewhere, the AI, the game generally, gets bugged, and I think this is the case here.
    I have, accidentally, noticed that the siege bug did not occur in DarthMod before CA official patch. But I am unsure, so this is why I ask you. I do not claim anything. If the bug is fixed now, I can try some values to test to see how they affect and then report them publicly, maybe helping this way the developers to correct the problem.

I am not going to disorient anybody with theories if the bug is still there.

Well. The bug did happen before the patch, with or without DMS I'm sure.

Hey, first off, I want to say thanks to darth for all the hard work he's done to make all the total war games extremely enjoyable. I've burned a lot of hours on this series. Have played since Rome total war so I like to think I have some experience. As for this topic, I wanted to say I'm using the latest DM for shogun 2 and the siege bug is not fixed. Almost everytime I get besieged with two full stacks or more, the reinforcements sit there. The main army always attacks me but once I repel them, the rest sort of gather in a spot and sit. I find myself either fast forwarding to end the battle in my favor or sallying out against the remaining if I know I can win that battle.

Also, I find the generals not to be actively involved in the battles anymore. They hang back and watch their troops get slaughtered, mostly by my bows. At first I thought maybe they were being smart and directing the battle but I never see them participate in the battles. Makes me sad.

Thanks again, darth for the awesome work and burning my free time.

i have only seen it once or twice but rarely shows up. in fact i dont think i have ever recalled it in vanilla

diadok's Avatar Senator

Icon4 Re: Siege bug Fixed by DarthMod?

This was BEFORE the CA patch :

Quote Originally Posted by diadok View Post
    The last time i had a look at that :
    - on castles in plain map, no more bug.
    - on castles in moutain map, always the bug.

Have seen it several times. Unfortunatly, it means there is something very weird in AI units reaction : they don't attack because they don't "see" the castle ? in moutain map, i provoc them with cavalry going outside the castle to make them pursuit me, it works sometimes good sometimes bad...

I won't vote before i have experimented what happen in last version of DM.
    I am 200% sure it was BEFORE

You like EPIC battles ? watch Diadok's Gallery, play Epic Late Campaign for TATW 2.1
    "They rob the poor under the cover of law, forsooth, and we plunder the rich under the protection of our own courage." (Black Sam Bellamy)

i have experienced the siege bug with version 2.05.

It seems to me, with the newest patch, that besieging AI archers now don't simply just move ahead with the rest of the army. But now will move to a position outside the castle walls to where they can fire on a specific unit.

However, if they can't move almost directly to that position. They will hold and stay passive near the castle walls. (Kinda hard to explain)

Anyone else experiencing passive AI archers?

Apologies for resurrecting this one, however I have just played a siege battle in v2.35 where this issue came up. The enemy (Hattori) had three stacks attacking my level 2 castle town defended by 1 stack (Chokosabe). Approximately 20 minutes before the end of the battle, the AI just stopped moving. I had run out of arrows by then and I didnt have enough units to take them so I was forced to wait it out. This is a picture of what happened: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/57...5C194BA8009AB/ This was the second wave (stack) on the field. They should have swamped me by sheer wait of numbers, but as is I won the battle and proceeded to go on the offensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast