Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for a newbie?

Default Tips for a newbie?

I'm thinking of picking up RTW:Gold when I get my next paycheck... everything I've seen has led me to believe this is a fun game I'll enjoy playing, but I have NO experience with it, or any similar games... so... anyone got any tips for a newbie? Things I should def. do, not do? Tips for having the most fun with the game???

THANKS!

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

Quote Originally Posted by LondiniumGirl
    I'm thinking of picking up RTW:Gold when I get my next paycheck... everything I've seen has led me to believe this is a fun game I'll enjoy playing, but I have NO experience with it, or any similar games... so... anyone got any tips for a newbie? Things I should def. do, not do? Tips for having the most fun with the game???

THANKS!
    well, start out playing an easy campaign (preferably a roman faction) and learn the basics from there. It isn't a steep learning curve at all.

BTW, welcome to TWC.
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

Its quite easy to learn. The game forces you to do the tutorial anyway and you are made to do the Roman factions in the beginning. Buying the game will give you many hours of enjoyment and imrove your historical knowledge somewhat...
    Blut und Boden

Quote Originally Posted by Aetius
    you are made to do the Roman factions in the beginning.
    oh ya, good call. Its been a while since I've played vanilla
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    -Mark Twain

WOW! Such quick replies!

THANKS!

I get the feeling this is a game I'll play for hours on end... a part of me is wondering if it is the kind of game you can leave running overnight to rack up money (I do that with Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 sometimes) or if things happen too fast for that. (Try leaving SimCity 3000 on over night and I come back to a city burnt to a crisp)

THANKS again! I REALLY appreciate the advice!

no it wont be because you dont accumulate money in that way
    the money making is done on the turn based strategic map
    you have to manually do everything and the end a turn, which passes half a year in time, and then you make money
    [BIG MTW2 SIG]
    Skyhigh - can't go out at night because he'd bump his head on the stars.

Yes welcome to TWC, these guys practically said it all lol

Okay... so this is a game that won't do much if any playing itself in the background, which is cool... just wanted to know.

I can leave SimCity playing in the background and check in on it 2 or 3 times an hour and with that game it actually allows me to do better... that game seems to be about pacing in some ways.

First off, welcome to TWC! There are three things I would like to tell you about RTW:

1) Diplomacy. Don't rely on it too heavily because the AI tends to break promises at times.
    2) I would recommend learning to manage a city/army, but if you are confused at first then it is all right to use the automanage.
    3) This game is really fun, you'll love it!

"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." -Albert Einstein
    "All these places have their moments, with lovers and friends, I still can recall. Some are dead and some are living, in my life, I've loved them all." -The Beatles

Saint-Germain's Avatar Comte

My tip? Buy it! The replay value is brilliant, because as soon as ou get tired of normal RTW, there are a host of mods to install - eachof them catering to a different taste and playing style.

Assuming you get it, I'd be interested to hear how you find it, not having played any similar game in the past... (it was a long time ago that I first played MTW - the previous title in the series)

Hope to see you around!
    né Menander
    Under the covetous wing of Ozymandias
    Patronizing my favourite (not so) little guy, Turbo

"With this weather, it might as well be Thursday..."

.Socrates's Avatar I Love You

Of course, the prologue of the game will give you an idea (somewhat) of how the game is.
    Listen to your consuls! (or whatever they're called)
    They'll help you through the game A LOT.
    Originally under the patronage of RZZZA. Under the patronage of the Black Prince, in the Royal House of the Black Prince.

^updated 6/28/10 (Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life)

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates's student
    Of course, the prologue of the game will give you an idea (somewhat) of how the game is.
    Indeed, it gives you most of what you can get away from things aquired through experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates's student
    Listen to your consuls! (or whatever they're called)
    They'll help you through the game A LOT.
    Advisors you mean? Yea, they are useful the first few tomes you play.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

This is great, THANKS!

It will probably be the end of the month before I feel I have the $$ to pick the game up... but I figured I could look forward to it by learning the basics of playing so I don't waste a lot of time when I get it on stupid/avoidable mistakes.

And now for my first truly "silly" question... what are mods? I've never played a game that had mods available on the web before so I'm kind of at a loss for what they are, and how to use them... THANKS! (And sorry for the very basic level of questions but I REALLY appreciate ya'll lending a newbie a hand!)

Shadows's Avatar Lurking unseen...........

mods are basically when someone takes the game and changes the things in it. Some mods are minor, only dealing with different skins for the units(changing their color) or changing unit/building stats. Others are major overhauls, like RTR or SPQR, these mods have had a complete change from the regular (aka vanilla) Rome, they have different units, factions, maps, everything.
    IN PATROCINUVM SVB Virgil (aka 1hHoplite) (1hHoplite's Chaos of Battle Picture Thread)
    Brother to the chivalrous lord, The White Knight, the Evil Einstein of the East, darkragnar and mi nuevo hermano, Ramon Gonzales y Garcia.
    Winner of the Second General Trivia Competition

And now for my first truly "silly" question... what are mods? I've never played a game that had mods available on the web before so I'm kind of at a loss for what they are, and how to use them... THANKS! (And sorry for the very basic level of questions but I REALLY appreciate ya'll lending a newbie a hand!)
    Like Shadows said there are game mods (the most commonly used form around here) and then there are moderators, but most people call them mods. But I think you will be able to tell the difference when you see it
    -Mark Twain

.Socrates's Avatar I Love You

To put it VERY VERY simply:
    mods=modifications.
    Originally under the patronage of RZZZA. Under the patronage of the Black Prince, in the Royal House of the Black Prince.

^updated 6/28/10 (Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life)

Most of my confusion on the mods was that they sounded a LOT like patches, but didn't seem to be coming from the people who made the game... I hadn't really thought about the fact there were gamers with the ability to make these mods and share them with the rest of us!

Harlanite's Avatar Certified Ignoramus

I'd go with the advice already given, just start at an easy campaign (theres also a short campaign/tutorial bit as well) and you'll get to grip with things in a jiffy. If you do get tired of the game (which will take a long time) you can try out Barbarian Invasion or the various mods (RTR and SPQR bieng the big ones I think).
    Last edited by Harlanite; March 04, 2006 at 10:43 PM.
    Opposing torture has become something for "liberal Euros" and other homos. -Erik

Under the Patronage of The Honourable, Sagacious eXc|Imperator

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Most of my confusion on the mods was that they sounded a LOT like patches, but didn't seem to be coming from the people who made the game... I hadn't really thought about the fact there were gamers with the ability to make these mods and share them with the rest of us!
    Heh, we just have no lives.

Ok, some modders just have lives... I just have not heard of them.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast