Thread: Ritos: Death, blood, and Pikes.

Icon1 Ritos: Death, blood, and Pikes.

A interesting setting for a TW game.

I picked Ritos, becasue I like the Scotland faction, they are on the north of the human kingdoms. I like the idea of being the front line, and first line of defense.

How ever, nigh-impossible odds make the campaign a bitter sweet experience. The enemies sheer numbers makes them a force to be reckoned with. Then there a myriad of foes who have stacking passive abilities, such as: Frightens enemies, Powerful charge, etc... along with these ground speed that matches and sometime faster than my General's bodyguard the only form of cavalry worth a damn at this point in the game. High hit point values and attack damage. Make these foes Unmanageable.

A complete lack of standard missile troops in the beginning stage of the game I feel takes a lot away from strategy. The only troops available to use ranged attacks are build 1 off structures that only produce those units. With their lengthy recruit cool down, I can recruit maybe 2 mage units.

Turn 9, enter two stacks of Twice damned, one continues south one sieges my middle settlement of 3, my only castle. At this time, between my 3 settlements I barely have a stack of troops to defend with. Having fended off troll attacks for past two turns. I have been recruiting the max amount of troops available every turn, and building in every settlement each turn. Build my economy and little by little an army.

Two bands of Iron fist appeared, did nothing, no idea where they went or what they did, they were there, and then gone.

Turn 11. I have large band of orcs a bout a turn and half away from my large city. As well as another army of twice damned coming to take my village. Met them with my only large army. It was a close victory. Also called a crusade to, and joined with my king to grant the army bonus move points.

So far the only thing has kept my army from suffering huge loses in every engagement is, honestly I'm going to sound like a braggart but oh well. my strategies and tactics, and battlefield maneuvers. Using pike units as the tip of the spear (pun intended, dreadfully so ).

As it stand my standing army has 1 tiger-man archer squad in it, two units of circle magi, 3 units of Pike men, my king, and various town and spear militia. Its an adequate army becasue my king now has max command rating, so It barely nullifies the frightening feature of even the basic enemy infantry.

This is something else I have a small problem with, the basic infantry "frightens nearby enemy infantry" along with their superior troops. On top of morale damaging magic attacks, and "Giant" units that also have extremely heavy armor, large hit point pools, (Greater than a kings royal body guard), Double the attack and armor value.

I lost a settlement, (1r : 1.2td odds) just becasue the enemy had two units of Ogre warriors, fighting in the town square for about 25 minutes, The ogres charged into a crowd of 1000+ spear men. just jumping around and running so my infantry couldn't hit them. They just killed people by walking around. They trampled their entire army to rush the square, but they enemy soldiers just got back up like Ogre didn't just run them over like a steam roller. So as the enemies trickled into the square the compounding effect of every unit causing fear my troops just started failing even though my choke point was strong, General was nearby and had some veteran units. The ogres just keep running and jumping around like lunatics, despite being proded by 20+ spears ever time they stopped, their 24at and 30 def and 4 hp , powerful charge, effective against armor, cause fear, and they also have excellent morale . So for no reason other than their grievously over-powered ogres they took a garrison at nearly 1 to 1 odds.

My heir died in this battle. So now I just have my king. If he dies in battle, or old age its the end of the game. So there were about 7 turns left until my campaign ended. With no inspiring troops of my own, or heavy armor or access to regular missile troops the campaign just became a down slide into defeat, as captain armies has no chance of standing to any force of the Twice Damned becasue they have to many positive qualities with their troops, and the vanilla armies just don't measure up.

Yes, I used Circle magi, Yes I used Iron Fist legionaries (which should be inspiring to allies). Also used some Alkan Archers. Making the linchpin of the human armies magic I don't agree with, I realize this could go against the grain of your novel a lot, but in order to provide a challenging experience for all factions, the human armies have to able to stand on their own against the Twice damned, otherwise we are spending money on nothing but meat shields.

I like this mod, Ritos instantly became my favorite faction becasue of the Scotland unit roster. I just feel the Vanilla armies are too weak against the insurmountable foe you created. I love fighting the uphill battle, thats why I chose to play a northern kingdom.
    Last edited by ZarBoneD; May 22, 2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Final thought.
    "Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion"
    -Scottish Proverb
    Media Arts & Animation Major at the Art Institute.

Default Re: Ritos: Death, blood, and Pikes.

Thank you for your detailed and frank comments, I appreciate the effort and time you have spent both playing the mod and writing about it here. In a way I really feel for your apparent disapointment, whilst at the same time I feel a small sense of pride that the mod has lived up to the ideal I had when I set out creating in.

This mod is designed to be the most challenging available for total war players. Ritos is the hardest faction to play as, no doubt whatsoever. The text in their campaign description should make that clear.

That said I never set out to make the faction impossible to win with. Hopefully with the Palace recruitment roster added and the EDU tweaks I've put in place the next version should redress the balance somewhat, although Ritos should remain the most challenging of factions to play with.

I liked that it is challenging and one needs to focus on strengthening the lands you have. Its a welcome break from the usual, build, expand, and dominate. The campaign was frantic and put me in a real sense of desperation. Once Rockheaven fell I considered giving up, sitting thinking "what can I do?!" being able to call a crusade was very helpful. It really helped make the feel of the campaign way more grand in scale, I figured, whats one human settlement out of all these.

I look forward to playing another campaign with the palace units, It was fun to have lasted as long as I did, I mounted an effective defense, fought bitterly, with glory, fervor and with out remorse. I have to give you props for serving up a truly brutal defeat.
    -Scottish Proverb

Rarty's Avatar Foederatus

I played about 40 turns of a campaigh as Ritos, and what i learned from it is, pikemen are awesome in this mod, most mods pike men have attack strength of 2 or 3, in this one its 7 or 8+.
    Stick a few of these bad boys in your towns and you should be fine against anything, the hard thing is economy, i was lucky in that i took one of the One God cults towns to the south of the Ritan Capital(the name escapes me, Ritos i guess) and that gave me a nice sheltered economic town, and of course, the orcs are really strong in autoresolve battles, so there gonna destroy Marl, and eventually pile on you, that is, unless the Askan gain a foothold There's just so many factors that can influence your campaign in this mod that its gonna be different everytime.

On the subject of the northern factions, are the Irish faction(Kedos?) evil? All there generals start with dread as far as i know, i'd be tempted to start a campaign, and try to get an alliance with twice damned, could be fun

All human Kingdoms start as good, but have the ability to turn evil via the One God Cult. An alliance should be next to impossible with the evil factions, that's the way the campaign mechanicas are setup. They may take a massive amount of cash for a cease fire, but expect to be betrayed...

I never really used dread/chivalry to determine good/evil, just the General's attitude in battle and their effect on settlements. Lots of chivalry will increase trade alot and public order slightly, where as dread will increase public order a lot and trade will increase marginally.

Most of my generals end up being dread since I have a habit of running my foe down and executing their evil troops. No point in selling hobgoblins back to the Twice Damned only to see them tomorrow at your walls again. Same for Orcs, although I wish I could put the trolls I captured to work, like a Retinue trait, that decreases building costs.
    -Scottish Proverb