Thread: The casualties morale drop should be lower

Default The casualties morale drop should be lower

I think the casualties morale drop makes sense back then when unit size were small.
    But with units like 320 or 400 men, even when half died there are still over 100 men, isn't it too soon for them to break?

Default Re: The casualties morale drop should be lower

You should use your general near these units or they will break. It is natural that a unit loses so much of its starting strength and so to waver.

What???

Even with DarthMod, battles are way too bloody to be realistic-- in actual fights, casualties would be way lower, but the battles would last a lot longer (hours, days, weeks). Losing 1/3 of an army would be considered a massacre, although there are recordings of even bloodier battles.

I would rather have BALANCED game play than realistic, seeing as its a game not RL.

I am playing 2.15v + Beta test 2, I think right now the battle and casualties rate is much balance. Without any General unit near by, any unit is lost close to 40% or 50% will break. In some case, even 30% unit lost, if the whole battle line is break. I don't think is balance or realistic that a unit can keep fighting without General or other backup and taking more than 60% or 70% unit lost.
    The key to problems is usually the ignition key

Quote Originally Posted by pyccos View Post
    I would rather have BALANCED game play than realistic, seeing as its a game not RL.
    I completely agree, this is of course a game and if having to decide between balance and realism, I will have to choose the former. However, I believe this aspect of the game is quite balanced as it is, with DarthMod. If anything, I think losses are a bit too high still, casualties could perhaps be a bit lower as long as battles last as least as long as they do today. EDIT: I'm still playing the regular 2.15, this might have changed.

although... as far as tactical retreating goes.....

is there any way to make withdrawing from battle less of a suicide and more of a viable option when you are getting your @$$ kicked?

if yes is there any way to make AI do this as well?

crunchyfrog's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyfreak View Post
    if yes is there any way to make AI do this as well?
    The AI already does this, but not with their first army, only with reinforcements and it thinks it can't win. It will withdraw.

ya... with the main army... thats wat i was asking...

cuz no sane man will watch his 20 stack getting owned and respond by committing the daimyo into enemy yari ashis in an attempt 2 make a difference

Vasa's Avatar Tiro

I think morale is already too high. It's almost impossible to force a defender in a siege battle to flee. One of my units of garrison bow ashigaru was whittled down to 5 men. It doesn't seem realistic for a regiment of poorly-trained conscripts to fight on despite a 98% casualty rate

Quote Originally Posted by Vasa View Post
    I think morale is already too high. It's almost impossible to force a defender in a siege battle to flee. One of my units of garrison bow ashigaru was whittled down to 5 men. It doesn't seem realistic for a regiment of poorly-trained conscripts to fight on despite a 98% casualty rate
    In a siege where they are going to flee?

Vasa's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Miyamoto View Post
    In a siege where they are going to flee?
    So we should go back to the old system where you had to wipe out 95%+ of the defenders? That certainly strips away some tactical depth.

Acully the casultie morale drop should increse. Its not pleasent to see men die infront of you.
    When its many its worse. And after a couple of times you get used.
    Why shouldent they make that new recruited units will have high while units fought in some battles shall have it decreased

Quote Originally Posted by Vasa View Post
    So we should go back to the old system where you had to wipe out 95%+ of the defenders? That certainly strips away some tactical depth.
    Maybe they shal surrender if all defenders rout
    If one rout they be in final stand at thenshu

Nobody should run when defending a castle. Maybe forts and strongholds can be abandoned, but anything bigger is a shame to the clan and won't happen. On the field, I feel the balance is great, perfect actually, and shouldn't change. Maybe inflict more morale damage when flanked or ambushed or charged upon, but only by very little.
    All roads lead to Rome101. Also, squirrels.