Thread: The Cavalry seems overpower

Default The Cavalry seems overpower

The Cavalry (Light cavalry) is so strong which can terminated my 4 troops of spear... wth is going on??
    Is it a bug or something else...?

Default Re: The Cavalry seems overpower

I agree calvary is WAY over powered.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one with 4 spearmen running for the hills against the light cavalry. I actually posted this in the old/main thread a couple days ago.

I think they're probably looking into fixing it or modifying it. I think Syntax said the new patch may have put some battle elements out of balance such as the cavalry. I'm guessing the patch may have buffed the cavalry on top of the mod's boost? I don't know the specifics though. I suppose it's a compliment to the mod itself being on the right track if that is the case.

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

my 4 troops of spear
    if its ashi dont be surprised, i cant see this changing much TBH.

if it was sam. or monks then your point is valid...but the cav is far more balanced than previous versions already.

Also remember; General's abilities, global bonuses and attributes play a much bigger role now. I am not saying that they are not slightly OP, howver there are alot more considerations now when going for balance.

...you shoulda seen the super katana death samurai after patch 2!!, now that was OP..!

Quote Originally Posted by ♔BayonetFodder-San♔ View Post
    if its ashi dont be surprised, i cant see this changing much TBH.

if it was sam. or monks then your point is valid...but the cav is far more balanced than previous versions already.

Also remember; General's abilities, global bonuses and attributes play a much bigger role now. I am not saying that they are not slightly OP, howver there are alot more considerations now when going for balance.

...you shoulda seen the super katana death samurai after patch 2!!, now that was OP..!

is that a joke dude??? spears are supposed to beat cavalry, doesn't matter if they are ashigaru or not, sure maybe if it was 1 unit of ashigaru your point might be valid, but you think that's okay against 4? plus its light cavalry.

Recently fought a huge battle against some katana cav (among other units of course) and they didn't seem OP to me at all... A unit of Yari ashigaru to absorb their charge and a unit of Naginata monks to cut them into pieces, didn't have any problem
    Teutonic Crusades Sub-mod for SS6.3
    Many graphical enhancements to Teutonic Order and Lithuania factions

In my ongoing Takeda campaign, Katana Cavalry can get 800+ kills in a full stack vs full stack battle. Yari Cavalry seems OK, Light Cavalry may also be a bit overpowered - perhaps they could deal less damage but move just a tiny bit faster?

But this only goes for my cavalry units, the AI's cavalry units are not as terrifying as they mostly do frontal charges.

crunchyfrog's Avatar Semisalis

Yeah, Their melee defense is too strong.

Resoded's Avatar Libertus

Yeah, all cavalry is overpowered. Especially considering how cheap they are. I've tried fielding a Rohirrim, cavalry only army, and steamroll the enemy. It's just slightly more expensive than regular troops, and they are much more effective.

Either make cavalry weaker or make them a lot more expensive. Horses ate as much food as a whole family. They should be expensive.

Random idea here, if I may: Rather than make them more expensive, or "weaker", why not simply lower their per-unit numbers? As far as I know, only true Bushi were trained enough to fight a war on horseback effectively back in the Sengoku Jidai, and there can't have been hundreds of those in every small clan just waiting to be put into an army and sent to the front. Just thought this was another possibility that should also be considered.

Agreed.

No way should a cavalry win yari ashigaru in melee. There's 400 men with spears!!

The new open beta corrects this with new melee mechanics. You should try that and tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
    The new open beta corrects this with new melee mechanics. You should try that and tell me.
    Well, if you let your spear unit run instead of make a stand you will get killed in a cavalry charge. I always charge moving AI units and no matter what they are they get killed (especially playing Takeda). That is fair, if you get hit moving you should have a hard time. If you charge a standing spear unit you will loose big time.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
    Darth.. it still havent be fixed....
    the cavalry still difficult to kill them all
    Is it the problem in the new patch or something else?
    Last edited by gn41236; May 24, 2011 at 10:41 AM.

Run a custom battle of Shimazu Katana Heroes vs. light cavalry. The katana heroes will fight to the last man and die while the cavalry escapes with about 25% of its numbers. They will survive with 33% intact if they get a charge in.

To me, this is unacceptable. Easy to find excuses--heroes only have 40 men, they're not spear units, light cavalry can disengage, 1-on-1 custom battle gives fake results, etc--but not a one is tolerable. Consider the difficulty of training katana heroes vs. light cavalry. Consider that I gave the benefit of every variable (terrain, elevation, cavalry not charging, usage of Bansai and Hold Firm) to the heroes and they still lost. Consider the fact that the game says something like "light cavalry are excellent at chasing down fleeing enemies, but suffer heavy losses when faced with spearmen or well trained infantry." If katana heroes aren't 'well trained' I don't know what is.

So anti climactic when I spent the first part of the game rushing bushido techs to get katana heroes only to watch them melt away to the lowest quality cavalry in the game.

NERF!

I agree i recommend not plus 4 to cav defence mabye + 1 to the vannila def and +1 armour to protect against missles that way they not unstopable in melee. i think a good way of testing cav is the historical battle of nagishino if cav dont die from muskets volleys and spears what will they die from?

Lol, this is just plain not true. You just need to know how to position ur army to counter cav spam, and they are no problem to deal with. Im my standard army i have 2 cav, 2-3 yari ashigaru and a matchlock unit as my only proper anti-cav units. I fight cav spams all the time, and i never loose to it. Thing is, cav is fragile in this game. Get them intermingled with a spear unit (even ashigaru, properly microed) or fired on by a matchlock unit and you can kiss them goodbye. The balancing of cav is fine at this point. (However, matchlock units needs further nerfin.)
    - To tell the truth is revolutionary.
    Antonio Gramsci
    - We know the road to freedom has always been stalked by death.
    Angela Davis