View Poll Results: Would you be more likely to buy the next total war game if they included a first/thir

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 59.09%
  • No

18 40.91%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Control single character in a TW game

Default Control single character in a TW game

Would you be more likely to buy the next total war game if they included a first/third person controllable character such as a regular foot soldier?

I bet CA love me doing all this market research for them

Although it would be cool, I don't think it would increase my interest, a soldior cam would me nice, but I think playing as a soldior would ruin gameplay slightly,
    The Shrimp

i voted yes, but only if it works like the "possess" function in dungeon keeper where you only control them when you want to i.e once your strategy is in place and victory is assured, you can take control of your general in a dynasty warriors style of combat mode and finish of the enemy, with good kill ratings helping to get better traits and ancillaries for your general. this would make the game a bit more arcadey and less historical, but it could be fun.

I voted yes only if they kept the general army command view point. it would be kind of like mixing starwars battlefront with total war. You can play as a solider and as a general or just manage the world using the computer generated battle wins and loses (i can,t remember what it's called exactly) and isn,t that kind of what they did with Spartan total:warrior?
    Under the Noble Patronage of Rome AC.

I'm french! Why do you think I 'av this outragous accent you silly king?! Now go away before I taunt you a second time!

A former member of the Canadian Colbert Nation, now a working member of the Panda Punctuation Police Protection agency. Otherwise known as PPPP.

spartanTW was basically just a kill fest, with other soldiers around just to make it a bit more exciting. no battle strategies here.

I was meaning more like kessen 2 - where the battle rages on and once every unit is locked in battle you can zoom right the way down and take control of your general to help kill a few enemy and increase moral for your troops. Plus lots of people like soldier simulators (operation flashpoint was a huge success) so if they kept it real like one hit kills and put the emphasis on blocking the enemies attacks they could maintain realism.

thats the way i imagined it too.

One thing I was hoping for with RTW would be the ability to fight or compete in Gladiatorial fights like in one of those old Rome games, Centurion, I think. You would be able to back or bet on Gladiatorial fights or even control them in a fighting mini-game whenever Gladiatorial games are held. I think that, and possible Naval battles would really have improved the TW franchise.

de Lancey

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones
    i voted yes, but only if it works like the "possess" function in dungeon keeper
    My thoughts exactly.

I think a good approach would be to make it so you have a blocking button and a attack button and in case you control a ranged unit some quick-actions buttons assigned for firing arrow or throwing a spear, etc.

Better yet, think of it as Mount & Blade meets Total War = best game ever and with the highest re-playability in my book.
    浪人 - 二天一

In Rise and fall: civilizations at war you can controll a hero unit in 3. person view and when you don't it's a normal RTS. Although here it's not a normal soldier but a powerfull hero.

No. I think they wouldn't do that anyway as 60% of their buyers are interested in strategy. To many games have tried and failed bringing a fresh air in the gaming market by combining different genres. They surely go for a 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it'-approach after the huge sailes of RTW.
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

But the concept is good. I was thinking of this about a while ago.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

It would be great. I would like it if it was as the RTW, in the bottom of the screen there could be a button, when you click it you will be able to select a soldier from the whole army!!!
    New pics on 24/4/2007

Here's a *bump* hoping that someone at CA sees this...
    浪人 - 二天一

i'd like it
    it doesnt even have to be that complecated like in dynasty warriors
    just a simple move, block, stab and slash would make me happy
    i think just seeing the battles from a first person view would make the game alot more interesting

Its called Spartan TW!

I think they should expand on Strategy and AI before something like this..
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

I think it could work, so long as the RTS battle doesn't change (no computer decisions on troop movement, etc) while you are fighting individually. It could help you get the edge in a faltering area.

Look up the game "Rise and Fall" It is a lot like Total war but you can control the character. Up to 5000 units per player.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast