Thread: Alpha Maps?

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

Default Alpha Maps?

I've got a question about Alpha maps in NTW.

Is there a trick to make them work as in ETW? Atm i'm porting some models from etw to ntw on which i'm using alphas to simulate opacity but when using the volumetric effects all i get are black areas.

Do i need to save the dds files in a special format (instead of dxt5), with a special program instead of ps7 and the newest nvidida plugin?

Default Re: Alpha Maps?

Anyone?

No one uses alpha maps?

Maybe ETW models are different, but in the napoleon texture files, I save in the dxt5 and it works fine. I believe Aanker from TGW has done so with ported ETW pikemen.

Then again, I'm not experienced in the area, and I'm not sure whether I have ever tried using volumetric effects... just fully alpha on sections.

May I ask why you need this?
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

I'm actually porting my cannon models for acw to ntw, and on those i used Normal + Alpha Maps to give the illusion of a chains and other parts, without wasting polygons, but as said.. it won't work anymore.

I reckognized that disabling volumetric effects option works only for flags, the cannon parts are still black, though i'm saving them as dxt5 (i tried all other formats, too but no luck).
    Did anyone used Alpha maps on rigidmodels? Maybe this is a new "feature" by ca?

edit:

I decided to twiddle with the shader (fx) files without really knowing what i'm doing... i could remove the black border with enabling Alphamaps in the ssao.fx, but it gives strange results at the edges of the masked out Flag.
    Is anyone left in this community who knows how to work with fx files?

Last edited by Primergy; June 06, 2011 at 10:22 AM.

Solved the Problem.

If you want to use alpha maps in our models you have to use x_alphatest_lodx in the name. Then the Opacity will work.
    Has nothing to do with the dxt compression as i thought first.