Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: ReallyBadAI Battle System v5.7 Released!

Germanicu5's Avatar Will buy spare time...

Default ReallyBadAI Battle System v5.7 Released!

This mod is the most unique and comprehensive modification of battle AI ever committed, squeezing out
    as much as possible from game engine, supporting it with exclusively developed, manually scripted AI
    behaviour and tweaked settlements, forging an unforgettable experience.

Everything tested using well-established methodology, which ensures no imaginary functions are
    advertised. No empty promises, this is the real deal.

Please note Settlement Tweaks released a while ago - they greatly add to AI's siege performance.

NEW ReallyBadAI v5.5+ content:
    - v5.7 corrected a typo leading to reinforcements crash
    - reworked ReallyBadAI Hardcore, player temporarily loses control over charging units, including impetuous
    - reinforcements tweaks - AI made more aggressive
    - script optimisations
    - new art courtesy of cedric37
    - AI uses hero abilities in Third Age: Total War
    - better AI reinforcements behaviour, supports up to 8 AI armies in a single battle
    - AI not getting stuck during sieges - restored functionality
    - fixed random CTDs that might occur due to hardcoded AI being unable to apply battle strategy- definitely solves 99% of issues
    - better behaviour of elephants, Mumakil, Steam Tanks etc. during sieges
    - AI deplys stakes on hard+ difficulty only

Previous Versions

- 5.3:
    - Third Age: Total War 3.x support
    - new, fully scripted, all-manual Rivendell AI behaviour (TATW 3.x)
    - Call of Warhammer 1.5 support
    - New Battle AI and Content Switcher for TATW 3.x - offers varying wall, siege equipment, formations and other AI parameters
    - improved AI wall defense deployment
    - AI attacks settlements more vigorously
    - brand new version monitoring system for troubleshooting
    - custom battle scripts always launch correctly now
    - 5.2:
    - more flexible defensive behaviour
    - more active general and missile units
    - nearly perfect stability
    - most unplayabe "Third Age: Total War 2.1" battle locations made playable (no longer supported)
    - 5.1.3 :
    - fixed CoW issue realted to Custom Folders Fix
    - updated manual mod integration instructions
    - updated pathfinding allowing AI to deploy better in rough terrain
    - beta Call of Warhammer support
    - scripting works for multiple custom battles now
    - AI less prone to being exploited while defending in field battles
    - new innovative attacking formation
    - wall movement changes
    - configurable installer
    - 5.04 : fixed odd custom battle deployment CTDs
    - 5.03 : a fix for setup file, TATW-related
    - 5.02 : typo correction for ReallyBadAI Hardcore target files
    - 5.01 corrects TATW installation issues and changes installation directory to "mods", so that you can install AI in parent directory of any custom mod folder (if you have a standalone mod folder, setup file will work now as intended).

DOWNLOAD HERE - information on recent changes at the top.
    Fully automated installer included, typically compatible with all mods\submods.
    Please take a while to install and setup AI and you'll get desired results.

Many thanks to gracul for his excellent setup program and to y2day for providing basic art.

Main features

- most aggressive outflanking around
    - much improved overall AI performance
    - heavily customised AI formations, improved player formations
    - very efficient skirmishing
    - cavalry avoiding spears
    - corrected pathfinding
    - countless fixes, tweaks, balancing changes
    - limited possibility of exploit use
    - optional Battle AI and Content Switcher (currently for SS and TATW)

Fully exclusive scripted features (not present in any other modifications)

- new AI strategy for defensive battles (no more rushing mindlessly)
    - jaw-dropping defensive sally-out behaviour, very active and smart
    - player sallying out can end up being assaulted, this includes intelligent bombardment and greatly
    improved efficiency of reinforcing armies
    - defending AI units no longer get stuck permanently inside settlements
    - AI deploying stakes
    - AI protecting its general when attacking
    - armies with elephant and chariot units properly attacking settlements
    - AI’s reinforcements speeding to help the main army, moving far from settlement walls
    - fixed cases of passive AI behaviour when attacking in all battles
    - ReallyBadAI Hardcore (for info see below)

Setup file includes possibility to install AI for mods that aren’t officially supported.
    AI is compatible with all submods, as it just appends commonly modified files without overwriting them.
    Freeware – non-private use only by permission.

MTW 2:Kingdoms patched to 1.05 recommended.

ReallyBadAI Hardcore
    Exceptional modification for exceptional players – no more unrealistic army micro-management.
    When you give your troops order to attack, better make it count – no second thoughts and decision
    changing is allowed. Command chain is long and it takes time before you can issue orders again.
    How about usual snail-paced deployment of troops?
    Well… you can do that, but you’ll run out of time for army deployment – your new motto should be
    “Deploy now, have a break later”.
    Disabled possibility of stakes placement during sieges.

Battle AI and Content Switcher
    Features:
    - 4 different settlement capture timing requirements
    - switches between 5 AIs giving a good variety of AI behaviour, including slightly different performance of units between battles
    - switches between different defensive AI formations
    - introduces new formations
    - shuffles settlement defense strength and parameters of siege engines

Switcher installation notes, PLEASE READ below:
    No malicious code there, some anti-virus/firewall utilities will ask if it can access protected COM interface
    and svchost.exe - the script monitors if kingdoms.exe is actually running and shuts when it detects it's
    otherwise.

Installation notes
    Setup looks for mods in default installation directories, if you use custom folders make sure you change
    “[works for]” section in relevant text files found in “mods\g5\files\” folder. You can alternatively use a “Custom Folders Fix” option during installation – it’ll make all files appear for every mod.

Stainless Steel users: if you put the mod in custom folder you’ll get a pop-up message on location of
    backup files that are to be copied to SS main directory. Then use default SS setup file to enable AI.

Campaign restart is mandatory, no additional scripted features will be active before you do it.

The mod uses stripped advice files to avoid advisor deactivating battle scripting for the time advice
    is active, advice files are known to cause battle CTDs as well.

Use: Scripts start automatically via campaign script and remain active.
    Manual integration instructions for modders are found at the bottom.
    Setup File
    Installer creates setup file shortcuts and runs setup file after installation.
    AI application: click on a mod folder, select desired components and click “ok”.
    Updating AI: untick checkbox and tick it again after installing new ReallyBadAI version. Moment of
    unticking doesn’t matter.

If you plan on updating your mod with other files, simply untick ReallyBadAI checkbox, apply changes and tick it again.
    Setup file automatically searches and replaces\adds relevant EDU entries.

Uninstalling AI completely – use Setup file to uncheck all boxes, then uninstall using start menu icon. If you still see an advisor popping up before battles (this doesn’t concern TATW or SS), it means you need to delete export_descr_advice.txt and export_descr_advice_enums.txt found in your mod folder manually.

Recommended download:
    Settlement Tweaks
    This modification contains a set of 22 tweaked original Medieval 2: Total War settlements (incl. Aztec).
    Changes include optimised defense points layout, which enables AI to defend settlements in a more
    challenging way, a small but noticeable feature.

Manual Mod Integration Instructions

1. Download ReallyBadAI and find a set of files in InstDir\g5\Manual_Integration\ .

2. Import combat balancing settings that are mod-specific (found in your mod's battle_config.xml):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    <combat-balancing>
    <missile-target-accuracy>
    <infantry>x.x</infantry>
    <cavalry>x.x</cavalry>
    <elephants>x.x</elephants>
    </missile-target-accuracy>
    <melee-hit-rate>x.x</melee-hit-rate>
    </combat-balancing>

3. Check if your EDU uses skirmish class, try not to use it for units other than gunmen\javelins\crossbowmen, guild's missile bonuses don't apply to them (still it's very useful for units that need a direct line of sight to shoot).

4. Change formation of units based on elephant mount to horde - if it's not widely used it'll work, it's important that infantry doesn't use the formation (or very rarely), you can decrease elephants' formation spacing by ~30%.

5. You need to give all foot missile units with range exceeding 160m "extreme_range" attribute (not mandatory for quick individual integrations).

6. If your mod doesn't use mod-specific advice files and texts, you can copy advice files without problems, but if it does, then you'll need to import some values manually - entries from export_descr_advice.txt, export_descr_advice_enums.txt and export_advice.txt (all including variations of G5Script entries), you'll need to delete advice-related .bin file found in your mod's data/text directory too (and please delete the *.bin file supplied with ReallyBadAI). Keeping Vanilla advice isn't advised and will lead to battle CTDs, so in 90% of cases your best shot is just overwriting old advice files with the ones I supplied.

7. Copy-paste contents of ReallyBadAI_Scripts_v5.txt to your campaign_script.txt, preferably just above "wait_monitors" line. A note to mod creators - DO NOT cut out any lines (neither these around "G5 BAI Stuff", nor "Additional Scripts").

8. All files I didn't mention should be copied following normal routine.

9. The folder in which you need to copy the AI files is your mod's main directory (something like Medieval II Total War\mods\YourModName\).

Regards
    Last edited by Germanicu5; October 16, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
    I have no memory of this place.

Andytheplatypus's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: ReallyBadAI Battle System v5.0 Released!

I am having some trouble. I think. I have m2tw and SS installed on my C: drive on under Sega. So when I point your installer at the M2TW folder it it says this : No instance of Stainless Steel 6.x copy files stored in C:medieval 2 total war/mods/g5/ss

After that I think it finishes downloading but then it goes to a list of america's, bare geomod, british isles, crusades, teutonic.

What does that mean? If it matters I am using Stainless Steel 6.4 with RW's submod.

Hello Germanicu,I chose to install the mod on this directory: D:\Medieval 2 Total War and during the install a message poped up saying: ''Stainless Steel 6.x detected, copy of files stored in D:\Medieval 2 Total War\mods\g5\ss''. So the mod will work now or not?

Edit: Nevermind what I said, The mod worked I enabled it through the Script Handler. Thanks for the mod.
    Last edited by Lego_Bman; May 21, 2011 at 02:37 AM.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Andytheplatypus View Post
    I am having some trouble. I think. I have m2tw and SS installed on my C: drive on under Sega. So when I point your installer at the M2TW folder it it says this : No instance of Stainless Steel 6.x copy files stored in C:medieval 2 total war/mods/g5/ss

After that I think it finishes downloading but then it goes to a list of america's, bare geomod, british isles, crusades, teutonic.

What does that mean? If it matters I am using Stainless Steel 6.4 with RW's submod.
    It means the installer didn't find Stainless Steel, it happens when you use non-standard mod directory names... or you point to the wrong folder.

The information is supposed to tell you where to look for files that are to be copied manually if SS folder wasn't found.
    I didn't want to interfere with default SS submod manager, so you're meant to enable AI with SS tool.

@Legio_Bman

I initially thought the message was clear enough, but apparently it can be misinterpreted - it means SS version, which you need to enable with SS submod manager (link was surely created) was installed succesfuly and backup copy of files was put in given folder.

Regards

P.S. I updated ReadMe and installation procedure to avoid confusion.
    Last edited by Germanicu5; May 21, 2011 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Germanicu5 View Post
    It means the installer didn't find Stainless Steel, it happens when you use non-standard mod directory names... or you point to the wrong folder.

The information is supposed to tell you where to look for files that are to be copied manually if SS folder wasn't found.
    I didn't want to interfere with default SS submod manager, so you're meant to enable AI with SS tool.

P.S. I updated ReadMe and installation procedure to avoid confusion.
    Ok first question. Do I point it at SS folder or M2TW folder? When I put it in either one I still get the ''Stainless Steel 6.x detected, copy of files stored in D:\Medieval 2 Total War\mods\g5\ss'

Do I have to uninstall M2TW completely and re-install in the regular location for this to work? Or will this not work with other sub-mods like the previous versions?

Edit: If you could just tell me what files to take out of the installer so I can manually put them in SS that would probably be a lot easier.
    Last edited by Andytheplatypus; May 21, 2011 at 02:32 PM.

Morfans's Avatar Semisalis

Just installed the mod, Germanicu5.

I have a BC Kingdoms version of my own, so your installer can't recognize it. However, BC23 files are just OK - I guess I can copy all files and the "script" folder manually (through the GME, in fact) to my mod.

Point is the campaign script section: I understand I have to include that into campaign_script.txt, just before the wait_monitor statement. But then I have to start a new campaign, for it to be effective - right ?
    Any possible alternative ? Can it be loaded through the campaign advisor somehow (RTW style) ? I would continue my present campaign ...

@Andytheplatypus

The whole point of setup file and Stainless Steel setup file that gracul's worked on is saving users some hassle and enabling use of almost any mod combinations, easy updates etc, so I don't see any reason why anyone would copy files manually.

Everything installed correctly, you need to use SS setup (ReallyBadAI installer even created shortcut for it in start menu) to enable new AI.

In my reasoning "copy of files" means that some other files were installed while their copy was put in specified folder.

@Morfans

Hmm... I'd need to think about it... so you essentially have a version which is installed on top of Kingdoms in main MTW folder?

Then you'd need to install ReallyBadAI in MTW's parent directory and edit this (taken from ReadMe):
    Setup looks for mods in default installation directories, if you use custom folders make sure you change
    “[works for]” section in relevant text files found in “mods\g5\files\” folder.
    In your case find ReallyBadAI_BC.txt and change broken_crescent_kingdoms to WhateverTheMTWDirIs or "all".

Installation of this AI isn't so simple, the setup file automatically alters EDU to include some of essential changes.
    The script found in show_me folder is meant for custom battles only.
    The one you'd need to paste into campaign script is named ReallyBadAI_Scripts_v5.txt (I don't advise manual installation though).

Running scripts via show_me would kill your campaign script functionality.

Regards
    Last edited by Germanicu5; May 21, 2011 at 04:25 PM.

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

@Andytheplatypus

The whole point of setup file and Stainless Steel setup file that gracul's worked on is saving users some hassle and enabling use of almost any mod combinations, easy updates etc, so I don't see any reason why anyone would copy files manually.

Everything installed correctly, you need to use SS setup (ReallyBadAI installer even created shortcut for it in start menu) to enable new AI.

In my reasoning "copy of files" means that some other files were installed while their copy was put in specified folder.
    Yes but thats what im having problems with. I point the installer and both M2TW folder and SS folder and its not working.

Where did you install SS \ in what folder?

Regards

Where did you install SS \ in what folder?

Regards
    I installed SS and M2TW right on the C: drive, but not together.

Last edited by Andytheplatypus; May 22, 2011 at 12:16 PM.

Then you need to point installer directly to c:\ , it's not most elegant of all solutions though. Then use SS setup file to enable AI.

After doing that you can uninstall ReallyBadAI via icon in start menu, SS files will be kept and you'll be able to enable\disable AI via SS setup anyway.

Regards

How do I manually remove your mod ? I can't figure out how to install it and now any mod that I installed it to get a crash everytime I play custom battle. The vanilla game won't even start. What file must I manually delete ? Because the uninstall program doensn't seem to remove it completly.

Here are the 3 locations that I installed your mod to :
    C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Broken_Crescent_kingdoms

C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War

C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Call_of_Warhammer
    Last edited by Babygod22; May 22, 2011 at 10:24 PM.

Had no idea you got your own forum for this. Congratulations G5.

Quote Originally Posted by Babygod22 View Post
    How do I manually remove your mod ? I can't figure out how to install it and now any mod that I installed it to get a crash everytime I play custom battle. The vanilla game won't even start. What file must I manually delete ? Because the uninstall program doensn't seem to remove it completly.

Here are the 3 locations that I installed your mod to :
    C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Broken_Crescent_kingdoms

C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Call_of_Warhammer
    Installation is relatively easy in your case - you point the installer to:

Then the files get copied, on quitting setup program starts, you choose Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms, then you tick box next to BC 2.3 - ReallyBadAI v5.0 and you're done.

Uninstallation:

Unitick box next to BC 2.3 - ReallyBadAI v5.0. After that you can uninstall the mod completely.

If you still get CTDs or advisor showing in battle, then go to your mod dir and delete export_descr_advice.txt and export_descr_advice_enums.txt .

List of files (found in InstallationDir\mods\):
    g5_setup.exe
    ReallyBadAI Battle System ReadMe.pdf
    g5\*.*

Files that installer usually changes\copies (found in ModDir):

\scripts\show_me\G5Script2.txt
    \data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\campaign_script.txt
    \export_descr_advice_enums.txt
    \export_descr_advice.txt
    \descr_pathfinding.txt
    \descr_pathfinding.db
    \descr_formations_ai.txt
    \descr_formations.txt
    \config_ai_battle.xml
    \battle_config.xml

@JAL

Thanks, as seen on this forum - SS and TATW threads just wouldn't be enough.

Regards

Thanks for the detailed info, so if I delete all those files, the vanilla game should work again ? I'm assuming it going to recreate those files ?

If you "unitcked" ReallyBadAI checkbox then you need to delete two advice-related files only (you can view them and make sure they contain only a few entries - because that's what RBAI version looks like), backups of other files were restored.

The game itself won't recreate any files, but you can unpack vanilla files again to restore kingdoms campaigns to previous state. Or install BC again if it got all messed up.

@Andytheplatypus

Then you need to point installer directly to c:\
    Obviously not, you need to install to c:\, than go to c:\mods and move or copy contents to c:\.

Regards
    Last edited by Germanicu5; May 24, 2011 at 04:42 PM.

Hi, I was really looking forward to the new AI, but unfortunately I have a problem. After installing it, it got me to the manager screen. I wanted to change british_isles campaign and after ticking the first option and clicking ok I get a G5 sub-manager has encountered a problem and needs to close, every time, the same thing, on every campaign and any option I tick to activate. Here is more information about the error:

AppName: g5_setup.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.0 ModName: g5_setup.exe
    ModVer: 1.0.0.0 Offset: 0000931e

Btw, I am running XP sp3, the game is installed on a separate ''gaming'' partition, I point the installer to Medieval 2 Total War folder and install this mod successfully (get the Stainless Steel backup created message during installation). Thats all the info that pops to my mind atm. I hope someone can help me

Cheers
    I wouldnt mind doint it manually, just a how to will to
    Last edited by Dangrath; May 25, 2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Edit

New version of AI is out, it addresses TATW installation issues and changes installation directory to "mods" - this way you can install it in parent directory of your mod and run AI setup, regardless of that directory's location.

@Dangrath

I don't know why it would happen, maybe you don't have admin privileges? I just checked British Isles and everything is fine. Or maybe you didn't unpack British Isles before installing AI?

Manual integration instructions are found at the bottom of ReadMe, generally you need to copy all files found in mods\g5\files\ReallyBadAI_British_Isles\ to mods\british_isles, apart from ReallyBadAI_Scripts_v5.txt, contents of which you need to copy-paste to campaign script. You can skip adding extreme_range attribute, but you really should change elephants' formation to horde (just in case, I doubt you'd use them).

Regards

quote Germanicu5: ''Manual integration instructions are found at the bottom of ReadMe, generally you need to copy all files found in mods\g5\files\ReallyBadAI_British_Isles\ to mods\british_isles'' - you mean mods\british_isles\data ? I started poking around the mods folder and I realized that although manage setup crashed with an error, it still extracted files to mods\british_isles\data, from the g5\files\ReallyBadAI_British_Isles folder(I think it extracted all files, but I did it manually just to make sure).

As to ReallyBadAI_Scripts_v5.txt, (just to make clear) do I need to copy that into the script folder of the selected campaign/mod, or the folder show_me inside the script folder OR something like copying all content of ReallyBadAI_Scripts_v5.txt to Medieval II Total War\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\campaign_script.txt ?

Oh and yes, I have admin privileges (never had any trouble with that ever) and british_isles is unpacked - I played it briefly before.

Thank you for your help, I'll just wait for a confirmation about the ReallyBadAI_Scripts_v5.txt and I'm off to play Britannia, this time with a nice challenge
    Last edited by Dangrath; May 25, 2011 at 07:24 PM.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast