Thread: Ships surrender @ the drop of a hat.

Silius Saurus's Avatar Biarchus

Default Ships surrender @ the drop of a hat.

Uh...ok. I started a campaign and attacked the pirate fleet near the Barbadoes right off. All four of my ships surrendered 5 minutes and two broadsides into the attack.

Is there something I should know?
    "If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly". -- Nick Lappos

Default Re: Ships surrender @ the drop of a hat.

yes, be careful and dont expose your rear to enemy fire. maneuver your ships so you can fire into rear of enemy ship. and dont exchange broadsides with stronger ships one on one. use your ship strength against enemy weaknesses.

I really think the ships' surrendering is ridiculous.

With four british ships (all experienced) I am not able to win over a SINGLE french 3 rate ship as all my ships flee or surrender almost immediately. I can fire broadside on broadside on the frenchmen but they happily continue sailing while even my own admiral routs in a minute!

WTF?

That is NOT realism!

What kind of ships? Frigates? Equal rates? The French fleet in general is far superior to the Royal Navy early early in the campaign until you do something about it as Great Britain. It has been a while since I have played as GB so I do not exactly remember all the starting conditions though.

Assuming frigates vs heavier ships and not too large fleet to control, the trick is to manoevre in such fashion you glue the ship in astern or even fore. Remember that lowering sails improves turning speed. If you get it right, there is not much bigger ship can do to shake it off without help from another ship.

Edit: Worth noting that is not exactly reliable but possible, if tedious to pull off.
    Last edited by Mjarr; May 27, 2015 at 09:43 AM.

All ships of the Line have a "scary" trait, simulating the simple fact,that small ships wont even try engaging ships of the line because of its futility. Frigates and smaller ships stand no chance against ships of the line, and they were practically never used to attack these ships. on other side, captains of ships of the line never fired at smaller ships unless they fired first. (but that is not possible to simulate in this game)

British ships get bonus experience, so really doubt that british 3rd or 4th rate would surrender to a french 3rd rate... unless that ship somehow gained very experienced crew, but that would not make anybody to surrender, just make that ship much effective combatant. from what you wrote i guess you either had very small ships, or you failed tactically. simply sending one ship firing broadsides into enemy stern is more than enough to make it surrender after some time... but if single AI ship is able to outmaneuver you, then something is wrong with your tactics.

Okay I get that.

My youngest sea battle though reaches another peak of incredibility: light 3rd rate british gets ALWAYS beaten up by french 4th rate.

Auto attack always results in own ships going totally stupid while enemy ships always avoid dangerous situations (crossing the t). Enemy always searches for astern, own ship does not.

My ship has more men and more cannons, still even boarding fails. My ship even is an admiral ship vs. a non-admiral ship I dont get that. Thought Great Britain was the superior sea power? lol

oh btw, experience difference is two: my ship has two chevrons, enemy ship four...but those results are ridiculous nevertheless.
    Last edited by Miglanz; June 04, 2015 at 05:22 PM.

Btw I don't want to sound impertinent or something like that. I love Empire Realism so no harm meant!

I'd like to know, JaM, is the Naval Realism Mod ( http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...al-Realism-Mod ) compatible with the latest ER?

nope, ER changes naval aspect of the game a lot, therefore any mod that does the same would be not compatible.

Okay, so I'll trust you and ER in making a realistic naval battle. Just never really got into naval warfare, so I don't know how to fight exactly yet.

One question:

I once read about a (naval) mod that changed amout of visible men onboard.
    As ER does such a good experience I'd also like the crews of the ships being realistically large. If I have 185 men, I see ~60 and that's it.
    I'd love to see real ship crews!

Would either

1) mods changing the amout of actual crew members, work?

OR

2) do you happen to know where I can find the file entry, that I have to change, in order to achieve my goal?

im afraid it is not possible. Ships have limited size for crew, and i tried to use maximum possible amount of men for all ships. If I assign more men, they will be dropped at the start of battle (they will be on board during deployment, but then thrown over board once you start battle)

Hello,

I had very littel experinece with naval combat so at the begining my ships surrendered or routed quite often.
    But after some battles I got better - it is important to stick your ships together, not atacking lonewolf, as isolated ships are very prone to rout or surrender.
    Also maintain nice line via naval formation helps a lot, especiallly before you get proper experinece for more diverse tactic like two lines (Trafalgar someone? )

Now I enjoy the naval combat a lot had some very nice battles with French as GB.

Only thing which I dont understand is that it seems when I destroy sails of enemy ships with chain shots they still escape me even if my sails of my pusuing ship are untouched. Maybe it is because the enemy ships are escaping against the wind?

Thank a lot to devs for very nice mod! I always go the Realism trademark in total war titles mods.

Cheers

regarding enemy ships sailing away against wind - this is something AI has as a bonus and its impossible to do anything about it. I tried to reduce it to minimum, but cannot set the speed to zero, as AI is not able to recognize it sails against wind and gets stuck.. this is one of those things we have to live with with this game...