Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross-examing You

Default Cross-examing You

It is a habit of mine to question people about their beliefs. Mostly I do it at school, where I ask people philosophical questions, like "Whats the foundation of your morality?" or "Are you happy?" or "What is respect?"

To my dismay, most of the time people aren't up for some philosophy, and they take it as a joke, mostly.

So I want to cross-examined someone in here in the fashion of Socrates. Who is up for it?
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus The Inane
    It is a habit of mine to question people about their beliefs. Mostly I do it at school, where I ask people philosophical questions, like "Whats the foundation of your morality?" or "Are you happy?" or "What is respect?"

To my dismay, most of the time people aren't up for some philosophy, and they take it as a joke, mostly.

So I want to cross-examined someone in here in the fashion of Socrates. Who is up for it?
    Reality check: most people don't care. Why should they? What's the point in worrying about abstract questions when practical social skills are more intelligible, and certainly will serve most people more fully in life. Yeah, a person may have a 'great foundation for his morality', but that's nothing compared to being able to charm people, make friends, and enjoy one's self in a social setting. A HR manager, a friend, a new acquaintance, these people are more interested in how your interact with others, and that's a pragmatic approach that makes a great deal of sense. Sure, you might be an uber-genius who understands complex abstract problems at an early age, but can you work in a team, can you carry on 'normal' relationships, do you have empathy? That's what most people are looking for. [and the market says that those things people don't want...well, they ain't worth much]

Philosophy's relative importance to real world=MyNewt.[I didn't write 'mi(-)nute' because you would have read 'minute']

In Patronicum sub Siblesz

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

try asking Sib or Squeakus Maximus, that'd be worth watching
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

Reality check: most people don't care. Why should they?
    I know most people don't care. Never said they should or should not. But it is this type of thinking that allows new generations to be control by those who actually think.

What's the point in worrying about abstract questions when practical social skills are more intelligible, and certainly will serve most people more fully in life. Yeah, a person may have a 'great foundation for his morality', but that's nothing compared to being able to charm people, make friends, and enjoy one's self in a social setting. A HR manager, a friend, a new acquaintance, these people are more interested in how your interact with others, and that's a pragmatic approach that makes a great deal of sense. Sure, you might be an uber-genius who understands complex abstract problems at an early age, but can you work in a team, can you carry on 'normal' relationships, do you have empathy? That's what most people are looking for. [and the market says that those things people don't want...well, they ain't worth much]
    You are under rating philosophy. Has not philosophy influence history? Did not ideas of the enlightenment influence future governments?

I think having a well thought out life is more important then being a popular and social human being.

Tactical, why don't you volunteer?

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

Bring it on!

Nice!

Tell me, what is the foundation of your morality?

Kurt Vonnegut

Can i go after lee?

i dont want to clutter the responses so ill wait untill hes done his. And of course a gentleman doesnt cut in line

Oh but ofcourse, rez

Just waiting for lee...

EDIT:

Well, it seems that Lee will be taking his time, so I think I can manage two people in one thread.

Rez, I see in your profile that you say; "just trying my best" care to explain that philosophy to me in a little bit more detailed?
    Last edited by Jesus The Inane; March 04, 2006 at 12:49 PM.

Kurt Vonnegut

Well it sort of comes down to the basis of my moral philosophy, good timing eh?

This may be hard to put into writing but ill try

I base the whole idea of every decision i make on the fact that there is usually a right thing to do and a wrong thing. For the most part we usually know that something is right and something is wrong. Shades of grey are dealt with a bit later. Trying my best merely means i will always try and do the right thing for every situation i come across. Note "Try". Theres no theism involved - there is a choice between good and evil. And it seems strange to me that i could willingly make an evil choice when i know the good choice is also there.

So to sum up i believe in doing right for the sake of good. The choice is there for all of us and i "Try" to make the "good" choice every time.

On shades of grey and what is right? The idea of right to me is personified in altruism. The good choice will invariably be the one which puts my needs second to those around me and the bad choice will be the selfish choice. It would be impossible for me to nit pick every single example but i think it is suffice to say that the selfless act is always good.

of course i don't by any means claim to have perfected this system as we are all inherently selfish, and by my own standards i inevitably am a horrible person. This and the selfishness i have witness are a source of great angst.

i may not have been clear enough in some cases as my thoughts tend to change quite rapidly and as such ive never been able to pin down my own motivations.

Hope this was interesting
    Last edited by rez; March 04, 2006 at 02:35 PM.

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

i'll go next, but it probably wont be very "philosophical" but rather ramblings of mine that try to sound philosophical. but i'll give it the college try
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Indefinitely Banned

I'll gladly go at any time...

Fair reply Rez.

there is a choice between good and evil. And it seems strange to me that i could willingly make an evil choice when i know the good choice is also there.
    Would I be correct if I say that you believe in right and wrong, and also in good and evil. Or do you see good and evil, and right and wrong as synonysm? Meaning; sometimes you use "right" to say "good" and vice versa?

The idea of right to me is personified in altruism. The good choice will invariably be the one which puts my needs second to those around me and the bad choice will be the selfish choice. It would be impossible for me to nit pick every single example but i think it is suffice to say that the selfless act is always good.
    But tell me; What makes altruism so important, so... great? Why be altruistic?

of course i don't by any means claim to have perfected this system as we are all inherently selfish, and by my own standards i inevitably am a horrible person. This and the selfishness i have witness are a source of great angst.
    So you are selfish, but you are altruistic because you think that altruism will bring you pleasure and peace of mind? So you are not being altruistic for altruism's sake, correct?

Last Roman and Atheist Peace, I would be delighted to cross-examine you when I'm done with Rez and Lee.

Kurt Vonnegut

I'm up to it. Any time! Since I'm trying to avoid doing essay scholarships on the holocaust, interdependence and some peace essay thingy.....
    "The ABC of our profession, is to avoid large abstract terms in order to try to discover behind them the only concrete realities, which are human beings."
    - Marc Bloch

Under the Patronage of Lord Rahl

Tell me, what is the foundation of your morality?
    Economical in nature. Morality is just a system to ensure that we copperate in a way that benefit the species as a whole.

Nice to see that people are incline upon being cross-examined. I just wished that Rez and Lee would respond in a faster manner.

Kurt Vonnegut

I am back.

Economical in nature. Morality is just a system to ensure that we copperate in a way that benefit the species as a whole.
    Interesting. You aknowledge that we humans are animals that are hard-wired for survival of the species, and yet this is not the foundation of your morality. Why not?

"Economical in nature"
    Interesting. So anything that makes your richer is good?

Kurt Vonnegut

It is. If we have two societies, one have morals, one do not, the one that do have morals would evenually win, all else being equal because it would be for more productive. Hence morality help the survivial of the species.

And yes, anything that makes me richer is good, provided that I won't have to give up much for it.

I belive right and wrong, good and evil are synonims, but if pressed i might be able to distinguish them. I havent thought about it much

Altruism is what distinguishes us from animals and the evil in the world. I can chose to be selfish or i can choose to be altruistic, the choice for me is simple.

on the contrary altruism brings complications and great internal struggle as i try in vain to find peace of mind but end up giving it away and back to square one. For instance i will quite easily let the girl of my dreams pass by if it brings a friend happiness. recently this principle applies to strangers as well as friends.

"So you are not being altruistic for altruism's sake, correct?" Im trying like hell to be good for good's sake. But what it basicall comes down to is the theory of the choice to be good or bad. in theory i make the choice for good because it IS good. Not because it will be rewarding internally. But more to avoid choosing the evil.

In practice i am a flawed person and as such (especially when drunk) i am still open to selfish deeds. though the guilt i suffer afterwards is punishment enough

It is. If we have two societies, one have morals, one do not, the one that do have morals would evenually win, all else being equal because it would be for more productive. Hence morality help the survivial of the species.
    It is? You mean to say that the foundation of your morality is the survival of the species, even though you said it was economical by nature? Which one is the foundation of your morality?

And yes, anything that makes me richer is good, provided that I won't have to give up much for it.
    I have to say I'm quite surprise at hearing this. I always thought you were a pacifist who believed in caring for humanity. Now, according to the foundation of your morality, if I pay you a lot of money to kill someone, you would do it, and there would be nothing wrong with such deed?

Kurt Vonnegut

Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast