Thread: Your thoughts on a humorous Shogun 2 AAR?

Count of Montesano's Avatar Civitate

Default Your thoughts on a humorous Shogun 2 AAR?

I'm currently working on a humorous Shogun 2 AAR. My idea is to tell the story from a minion ashigaru's point of view in the Oda army.

This would be my first AAR and I have two main concerns.

1. Do people like reading humorous AARs? I've heard they can be a mix bag and that serious AARs are usually the most popular.

2. If I am going to do an AAR, should I pick a faction that nobody's written about before? Oda already seems pretty popular.

wowbanger's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Your thoughts on a humorous Shogun 2 AAR?

The crucial thing about a comedy AAR is that it has to be funny. That's why they can generally be a mixed bag, for instance, I normally don't like comedy AARs yet Stealthevo's I do find hilarious in places. You might find this really old thread dug up from the archives useful in that regard; Some Tips Making Comedies.

As for faction; if you can make your AAR stand out from the crowd then it shouldn't really matter if there are other AARs about that faction.

"Some writers never know what's to be written until they see it on the page...." Some words of wisdom from my good friend, Mega Tortas de Bodemloze

Yes, comedy AARs are definitely a risk. "Serious" AARs are more in tone with the genre: epic fight against overwhelming odds, last stands, heroic deeds etc. Comedy AARs (1) have to be written at a high level of narrative quality - especially those that are heavy on dialogs (maybe simply because one-word puns are "easy" to develop) AND (2) should have good puns too. Unsophisticated puns, and every second word being some cussing will kill the whole thing fast.
    Also, it is much easier to maintain the "epic" tone for a long period of time compared to the comedy tone.

But be creative. You won't know until you try.
    Last edited by Radzeer; May 20, 2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: damn grammar...

StealthEvo's Avatar Campidoctor

Oooh. I got a mention

As a proud holder of a 'Funny' for lack of a better term; AAR the tip is to be consistant. For me. I dont try to make comedy. Thats hard. I have always been able to see the amusement of the mundane. So the approach I went for was say things how I saw them, uncensored, unplugged and raw. Turns out it's mildly amusing.

If you are going down the route of playing X in Y then approach it with the simple home truth. Everyone around you is an idiot. Sure things may seem sane, well thought out and for all intents and purposes the perfect plan. But there is always something stupid happening some drama that can be capitalized. Like Wowbanger said, give Challenge Accepted a read, should serve as inspiration for the simplistic approach. link is mah sig.

I find Humorous AAR's quite fun at times, there's a few really hilarious ones (this one I liked a lot. It's very funny).
    I noticed there are two broad kinds of funny-aar:
    - The "CAARtoon" which is told (mostly) from the perspective of the in-game characters.
    The CAARtoon draws on the tradition of "Historical" comedy like Black Adder, Monthy Python and the Holy Grail, Men in Tights, Hagar the Horrible, Asterix and the like. Historical Correctness is sometimes hard to maintain (the rule of FUN) and many are deliberately anachronistic.

- The CommentAARy, of which StealthEvo's AAR is a good example. Play the game and write up what you think about it as if you're Terry Jones (funny history lesson) or one (or both) of those guys who made Team America (Absurd epic action tale).
    These are written as a "bit" a stand-up comedian would do if he had to show the AAR as Power Point presentation, or as a Daily Show report... or ... ehrm... a Tosh.O episode...

Out of these two, the "CAARtoon" is probably the most difficult to do well, and creating a good one is a stellar accomplishment.

Jingo Eugene's Avatar Vicarius

I'd go for it, but be careful of how you go about it. If I were you, I'd aim for a more satirical, almost critical type of humor in a TW AAR. ESPECIALLY Shogun 2, because it's just so easy to criticize.
    Jingo Eugene
    "A wise man in times of peace, will prepare for war. Peace is boring, and the wise man has nothing better to do with his time." -Anon

Just throw in all the samurai-era and Japanese stereotypes and you'll be half way :p

"Oh, herro, Takeda Clan Wecwuitmint, canna take-a you odah prease?"

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Hmmm.

Heres is a tip. Go watch a subbed Tono To Issho OVA. If you can understand and make sense of the wild grotesque caricature of the Sengoku Jidai personalities..........and laugh with it, then you can absolutely make a damn good aar with Shogun 2.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII