Thread: Stacks of Death

-Fenrir-'s Avatar Libertus

Default Stacks of Death

First of all thanks very much to Darth Vader for this awesome mod, I've been playing it since it first version and its the only reason why I keep playing Shogun 2.

Second,I apologize for my bad grammar =P

Anyways, its been sometime since Im playing Shogun with Darthmod without having any difficulties or troubles, but lately (Since 2.1v) I've seen full experienced stacks of enemies spawning from nowhere and without logic, making my games impossible to finish, its turn 11 and both Takeda & Satomi attack me with full stacks all the time (Provided with screenshots)

Now I know Im not the greatest player in Total War, but I never had this kind of problems playing with the Uesugis. I tried multiple campaigns and it always seems that the AI gets full stacks from nowhere :/

So the question, it's just me having this experience or is it normal?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Default Re: Stacks of Death

Ive had the same problem too. The biggest problem is that they usually hit one right after another, so I dont have time to recover my units.

L00n's Avatar Libertus

great generals pictures! are those from the mod?

Quote Originally Posted by L00n View Post
    Yeap,they're included in All In One Mod

Blackwolfpt's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by L00n View Post
    Yes, you can disable/enable them on the launcher.

The AI loves to built huge stacks of doom and the farther you get into the game the more it builds. Around the time Real Divide hits about 6 of them are the norm.

I can understand that at later times on the game, but not in the first ten or eleven turns of the game when Im still creating an economy or managing to create a decent army while they simply spawn armies with lots of XP.

As I said before,never had this kind of issue with older versions of DarthMod.

crunchyfrog's Avatar Semisalis

Spawn? AI recruits units, just like you. What difficulty are you playing on? AI on higher difficulty get lower upkeep, more income, faster research, and units start with vet. If you play with vanilla handicaps they get one more recruitment slot and more movement points.

the AI cheats unless you turn off AI cheating in the launcher. where you choose you unit multiplier and siege spawn settings.

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

Well first off thats Takeda....
    They always have a family super stack, pain in the rear for sieges!but 8 sam and 8 ashi,i reckon thats pretty balanced stack imo.

the second one is slightly weighted, but you can hardly be surprised as it is a minor and loan sword are pretty cheap, there is deliberation if loan sword upset recruiting habits but so far bar the odd exception like in the pic. i think its pretty normal and balanced for now.

The AI loves to built huge stacks of doom and the farther you get into the game the more it builds. Around the time Real Divide hits about 6 of them are the norm.
    ...not so much as building stacks based on clan specific strengths and bonuses
    ...you are also allowed to build super stacks of doom

Spawn? AI recruits units, just like you. What difficulty are you playing on? AI on higher difficulty get lower upkeep, more income, faster research, and units start with vet. If you play with vanilla handicaps they get one more recruitment slot and more movement points.
    very good point crunchy...rice cookie for you....+
    One thing i have learnt for sure about Shogun strategy is that there is no oppurtunity to turtle or 'consolidate' too much...there is no room for it in Bushido

the AI cheats unless you turn off AI cheating in the launcher. where you choose you unit multiplier and siege spawn settings.
    i think those stacks are far from the AI cheating

Did you win the battles?

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianB View Post
    Did you win the battles?
    I won against Satomi, but then again as I said I can understand the AI having 1 fullstack of experienced units at the beggining, but the thing is they keeps spawning it over and over again, that means Ihave no chance to repel the invasion :/

Im playing on Hard, and again never had this kind of issue playing before,Im going to check out what Shaggy said,never used the launcher before.

i think those stacks are far from the AI cheating
    I know, but you cant deny that in turn 11 its almost impossible having that kind of experience when they only have 2 territories and never had a war to fight and build that experience.

..you are also allowed to build super stacks of doom
    Yeah, and then I have no economy to support them.
    At least, its not my kind of strategy.

I know that,I have read it thousands of times all over the forums and really never believed that the AI just spawned armies from nowhere, but maybe they modified a bit or something because as I keep saying, I never had this kind of issue playing and beating the campaign on Hard before, facing full stacks at turn 10 again and again. I changed clans and again, they always have at least 2 massive armies ready for me at the same turns (9-14)

Then again,thanks for your answers!

I've now played the game with Uesugi and hattori ( hard difficulty ) with darthmod enabled (the newest non-beta version). At the first few turns I made an alliance with two strong clans to ensure my safety. With uesugi I made an alliance with takeda and hojo, with hattori I made an alliance with tsutsui and shogunate.

In both campaigns I experienced the same problem around 20 turns all of my alliances were broken down (by the ally) and I did not dishonor alliances/treaties nor do any hostile actions with my agents towards my allies (took one territory in my uesugi campaign from jinbo as I was in war with them at the start of the game). In the uesugi campaign my previous allies even attacked me (takeda and hojo).

So around 30 turns in my both campaigns I was fighting around 7 different clans at the same time with ikko making stacks of death pretty much every other turn. The funniest part being that I did not start any of the wars and did not provoke them in any way until they attacked me.

Also when trying to negotiate peace with any of the enemies they were just not having any of it.

All of the above cases have not happened to me when I have played vanilla shogun except Ikko being crazy.

So far the mod has been a big disappointment to me when compared to empire darthmod which I spent loads of time on playing.

P.S. Quite crushing feedback from me, but these were just my experiences, though I liked the unit cards and extra point for agents each level , should probably post this in the feedback thread too.

Well I've just realized something, I removed Toon All In one Mod and it looks like the game is now playable, meaning that there's no Stack of death nor spawning armies, just Ikko Ikki spawning monks like hell (Like me) but now Im finally able to play the game!

Sorry, but the AI simply does not spawn armies. It has recruitment cycles just like you do, and since the latest CA patch (the one which brought DX10/11) they also never gain experience for free. If you see a well-trained army, it's either because they fought for their "veterans" status or because they were recruited by clans with appropriate research or development.
    All roads lead to Rome101. Also, squirrels.

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

it's either because they fought for their "veterans" status or because they were recruited by clans with appropriate research or development.
    this is 100%correct.

In my test Choso camapiagn i turtled big time after my initail games, basically spawned alot of agents etc and basically sat back and watched for about 50 turns and i have to concur with Rome on this because if you dont keep your stacks actively involved in fighting; you get situations late game where the enemy has super veteran units against your middle to low units.

Merely pumping up units through buildings is not sufficient in this regard, nothing substitutes for battle expierence.

Again the mechanics are not there for super long campaigns as in RTW and MTW2,... and ETW to a degree.

i have to reiterate my statment from earlier as well

One thing i have learnt for sure about Shogun strategy is that there is no oppurtunity to turtle or 'consolidate' too much...there is no room for it in Bushido
    So guys, seriously dont hang around and then expect your ashi to stand against pumped up vets with a host of global bonuses and advantages:

some pointers:
    -use your agents against advancing stacks or invsaion, with enough subverting, assasination and demoralising it might just pip the balance in your favour.
    -think about strategic provinces to bottleneck troop movements, South Shinano and Mino is a great example and there are others
    -dont waste resources upgrading basket provinces ie land that is almost impossible to attack in 1-2turns, keep the castles lower tier and save the upgrades for frontier castles.
    -remember unlike previous TW's garrisons are not paramount for any reason, they have no cause to live in towns...and neither do your generals as soon as your happiness reaches 0-1 in a newly conquered town with no troops you are safe as houses, unless you play with your tax levels or are a nasty daimyo.
    I feel this is one of the reasons the Ai steamrolls and in most cases loses its quickly gained lands, becuase of this game mechanic.
    We can think past that and consolidate and grow alot slower however the ai is governed by stats and numbers so its going to rinse every advantage and we end up with having lower vet stacks and good strong provinces;from a structure point of view but from no other while the ai has mediocre towns but with big stacks, it dont matter how developed your bajutsu dojo or monastary is you still need strong warrios to defend it.

......... so just have to keep on your toes to catch the ai out.

anyway there is alot more that can be said but its not a strat guide..... yet

Last edited by ♔DARTH LEGO♔; May 22, 2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: spelling....sigh