Thread: INSTALLING RETROMOD WITH STEAM CLEANLY GET IN HERE

Default INSTALLING RETROMOD WITH STEAM CLEANLY GET IN HERE

Okay so after like a day of frustration I managed to recreate a situation where I was able to get Retromod to FINALLY install with steam. I kept having the error "RETROMOD 1.0 NEEDS AN INSTALLATION OF KINGDOMS TO WORK," or something similar, and none of the installation procedures seemed to be working. The process is very backwards, and I can't tell you why it works, it just does for me. Please respond if it works for you, and maybe we can solve this thing.

Step One: Download SS 6.4 patch. Not the full 6.3 install, just the patch 6.4. Go through the installation, it should install in your steam folder anyway. Obviously it won't work, but we're not trying to get SS to work.

Step two: Be amazed as suddenly Retromod 1.0 installer detects a Kingdoms installation and you are allowed to go through the install process. Make sure you have the right destination folder >steamapps>common>medieval ii total war>mods

Step three: Install it. After the install you SHOULD be able to launch from the Steam kingdoms splash screen, no problems whatsoever.

Step four: Navigate to the mods folder and uninstall the SS patch, that's all you need it for. Go ahead and delete the SS folder.

(OPTIONAL)
    Step five: If you want to clean up the splash screen and delete the now-empty "Stainless Steel" option because you have OCD like I do, now we venture into regedit. I'm running windows 7 64, so I go to this file path:
    >HKEY LOCAL MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Wow6432Node>SEGA>Medieval 2 Total War>Mods>Unofficial

Notice the folder that should be named 0000StainlessSteel
    Delete that entire folder and VOILA, you should be good to go.

I tried this method with Lands to Conquer and it didn't work. Oh well, that's not what I came for. Hope this helps someone!
    Last edited by bablof; May 20, 2011 at 02:48 AM.