Page 9 of 117 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459109 ... LastLast

Thread: [IB:SAI AAR] Julian, The Savior Of Rome? [ FINAL UPDATE 13/06/2013 | COMPLETE ]

Knonfoda's Avatar I came, I read, I wrote

Default Re: [IB:SAI AAR] Julian, the savior of Rome?

Quote Originally Posted by scutarilegion View Post
    You invite them all to come together? Sir, now you are pleading for blood from your nose

But I think, that with your skills, they would have to throw their entire nations at you, to get chance of success...
    They may throw whomever they please into the meatgrinder that is the Roman army! The thicker the hay, the easier it is moved!

Icon7 Re: [IB:SAI AAR] Julian, the savior of Rome?

Quote Originally Posted by Knonfoda View Post
    Innocent? They are guilty of the crimes of barbarianism, dirtiness, long hairedness, wrong-side-of-the-wallness, and many other problems associated with northern barbarian filth. Did you not see how they attacked us unprovoked?

And don't get me started on the Vandal tribes. They ahve been taught a lesson they shabn't soon forget
    People of Dal Raida did nothing to you, they are surely inocent , but it is a Roman manner to kill inocent... Just remeber that Caesar did the same thing at Avaricum, when he killed 120 000 INOCENT GAULS! You killed 70 000 inocent Celts

But, Celts aren't criminals
    You, Romani, who killed their brothers everywhere accros around the world are true criminals
    Celts are way from dirty, I should remind you they invented SOAP
    And there is nothing bad they wanted to liberate their British brothers

Well, Franks, Persians, Vandals, German tribes, Rebels, Christians,... Will that be too much for Romani?
    We'll see
    I wish you luck against all of them except the Celts
    Nice AAR, anyway
    Last edited by Vercingetorix King of Gauls; June 14, 2011 at 03:54 PM.

volley upon volley of veruta and lancea and sagitto and god knows what other Latin delights
    I hereby move that forthwith all Roman projectiles be officially known as 'Latin delights'.

Great update!
    "Siehst du in des Waldes Grün feindlicher Gewehrmaschin?"
    - Peronje

"Der NKWD in Russland, der SD im Deutschland des Dritten Reiches und alle anderen Geheimpolizeiorganisationen ähnlicher Art sind Spielwiesen für Psychopathen, für Usurpatoren illegaler Macht über Millionen.
    Dort liegen die Krebsherde der modernen Gesellschaft."

aus "Holt Hartmann vom Himmel" Motorbuch Verlag Spezial 2007

The excited one's Avatar Senator

imperator, Kondofa

i m glad and want to congratulate you on your sucess against the vandals (crushing 6000 of them is excellent as well as weaken their morale too) and as for the franks i suspect they are fighting against a people called the Saxons who were also our enemy and you manage to beat them just after your proclaimation of Augustus and i think the frankish and the saxons beast are fighting their heads off for a few cattle i guess

for your army it seems your greatest expense is your army as well as overstretch which you had already noticed, i strongly suggest that you MUST finish off the celts as soon as possible as well as starting your campaign against the berbers in north africa (to get some money as well as taxing them creating a new source of income) which will save your worries on the two small fronts if you manage to destory them as well as allocating troops to fronts that is desperately needed espicially the front agains the Quadi and the goths

(you might as well if your defensive front is sucessful you can strike the goths to their heart by conquering dacia our long lost province which Aurelian had been forced to abandon it nearly a century ago due to internal strife and civil war)

eventhough your army are victories in every engagement but your causulties are still exist from 100 to 200 men i think that by station armies from other fronts like the british and the north africa you can have a flexable amount of troops in the area as well as a backup if you lose against those smelly babarians....

i suggest you should send your diplomat to the persian empire and investagate how is the war between them and the "far" easterners doing we "might" have a chance to attack the persians if timing is right espicially after Julian itself had finsh pacifying asia minor and implement pagan reforms

note: remember offense is the best defense according to a strategist sun tzu from the far east in the land of Seres or "silk" a land beyond the great ganges river where even the megas alexanderos had stop centuries ago and it is "rumoured" that the land of Seres had even more riches beyond what rome itself can be "one" of the smaller cities there

your advisor, Excitidus Onus of Constantinopolis
    war is peace, ignorance is strength, freedom is slavery......
    (george orwell 1984)

Quote Originally Posted by Vercingetorix King of Gauls View Post
    People of Dal Raida did nothing to you, they are surely inocent , but it is a Roman manner to kill inocent... Just remeber that Caesar did the same thing at Avaricum, when he killed 120 000 INOCENT GAULS! You killed 70 000 inocent Celts

But, Celts aren't criminals
    You, Romani, who killed their brothers everywhere accros around the world are true criminals
    Celts are way from dirty, I should remind you they invented SOAP
    And there is nothing bad they wanted to liberate their British brothers

Well, Franks, Persians, Vandals, German tribes, Rebels, Christians,... Will that be too much for Romani?
    We'll see
    I wish you luck against all of them except the Celts
    Nice AAR, anyway
    Oh give it a rest lol ... they are the enemies of Rome, and when Rome demands them destroyed, they are destroyed, regardless of whether they are innocent or guilty, they must all die alike!

Thanks for the compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxchamp View Post
    I hereby move that forthwith all Roman projectiles be officially known as 'Latin delights'.

Great update!
    Haha, yeah, they have some pretty neat names for their projectiles. Better still are some of the inscriptions and engravings on some of them.

Episode XXIX: When the Danube Froze Over

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

- Embedded Soundtrack, play while reading this episode.

The Goths, it has been said, are very much like Romans. Obstinate, defiant, courageous, single-minded, and above all, stoic in the face of defeat. In short, they just don’t know when to quit.

In Dacia Ripenses, they once again lay siege to our Danube fort of Bononia.

Verenianus, with his restocked army, marches to meet them. Again.

There is a small problem however. The Danube has frozen over in this part of Thrace, and the Goths have brought not one but two warbands numbering in their thousands, hoping to forcefully cross the river and settle in Roman lands. We would not have much of a problem with this, but Moesia and Dacia are already largely populated by Goths from previous years, and any more would outstrip the carrying capacity of the province to cater for them. The natural result would be civil strife, conflict, and the probability of a major Gothic rebellion in our hands. Which is why, they must all die today.

Their tribes seem to be lacking in cavalry today. The second army is led by mighty warlord Witiza.

Spotting the enemy warbands, we position our forces in a small slope overlooking the beautifully frozen Danube, waiting for the Gothic horde to make the first move.

But they do not budge, perhaps wanting us to engage them. Verenianus, confident in his field army, made up of large number of numerous illyicani, orders his men forward across the river.

While a harassing force of mounted sagitarii move on ahead to pester the enemy.

The men form up, single line, with archers behind covering them.

The enemy warlord, perhaps hoping to inspire his men, charges our entire cavalry by himself.

The only inspiration his men get are in the art of retreat however, as he is hopelessly outnumbered and outmatched by our superior cavalry.

Some elements of the enemy horse decide to charge our flanks, but are in turn counter-charged by our own cavalry.

In the confusion of battle, our cavalry force has split itself into two. One alae decides to charge the enemy horse. These men, led by a unit of elite cavalry, the scholae palatinae, should have little trouble mopping up the Gothic troopers.

Our static infantry line has found itself charged by the bulk of the Gothic troops, now battering their way through our numeri units.

We quickly order a unit of the reserve to fall in line to close the gap that is forming in our lines.

Meanwhile, our cavalry are bogged down fighting the enemy bodyguard unit, so our infantry will have to hold their ground before relief arrives.

Being surrounded though, it is only a matter of time before the cowardly bodyguard break and make a run for it, their warlord among them as they treacherously escape the field.

Our cavalry free, then charges into the flank of the marauding Gothic infantry.

Their lines break and flee. Isolated skirmishes and pockets of resistance form.

Until these too are eventually overcome and destroyed. Victory once again belongs to Verenianus and his crack field army, looked upon not as second rate soldiers but equal and superior to the legions even. Interestingly, both the enemy chieftain and Warlord Witiza managed to flee the field of battle.

In Moesia II, the Goths continue their siege of Durostorum.

Instead of waiting for Verenianus to return with his field army to this part of the province, the local military officials decide to deal with them themselves.

Aelianus Cassianus, not trusting the Gothic contingent of foederati under his command, has these reassigned.

Taking only their lancers with him, he orders the bulk of the garrison of Marcianopolis, mainly Legio Ripensis belonging to the IIII Septima Claudia, and some other detachments, to join his newly formed field army.

His colleague, Sebastianus, commands the Gothic contingent and some urban vigils. The plan is for both to fall on the enemy at once and win through sheer numbers.

In a field nearby Durostorum, the three armies meet.

This warband, led by Thorismund, is more like their usual rabble. Lots of cavalry, hordes of spearmen, all lusting for glory and honour and plunder.

We once again mass our cavalry on one flank, seeing as barbarian cavalry as of late has been more and more effective.

As if by coincidence, this army also has a ala of Scholae Palatinae, our elite cavalry guards. Aelianus looks forward to seeing them in combat.

For whatever reason, the enemy decide to occupy the middle of the valley plain, leaving the high ground free for us to take.

Our sarmatian and vexilationes sagitarii loose their arrows against the enemy.

Which tire quickly of our harassment, and foolish attempt to pursue our skirmishing units uphill, sending even their Warlord after our troopers.

Meanwhile, our foot archers begin their deadly bombardment of the enemy warband.

Thorismund seems to realise that he is on a fruitless endeavour and abandons his pursuit. However, it is in retreat, a familiar scene to us, that he loses most of his men.

Our infantry are ordered to advance, now that the enemy have been sufficiently demoralised and that our reinforcements are in place.

Our deadly manubalistarii have all but destroyed their heavy veteranii contingent, leaving them severely under-prepared for the onslaught our lines are about to deliver.

Our skirmishing cavalry, now out of javelins, charge into the enemy ranks.

While on the other flank, our heavy cavalry prevent the enemy from escaping by surrounding them, engaging their cowardly cavalry that attempts to flee.

With their escape cut off, our infantry lines annihilating everything in their path and our skirmishing cavalry charging hard into their left flank, the enemy fight to the last man.

It all proves too much for poor Thorismund, which sadly is made to part ways with his head as a trooper slices it clean off his shoulders for him. His eyes glow for a moment as his head spins mid air, and then fades – permanently.

The loss of four thousand men to only eighty three of ours stands as testament to the continued tenacity and indeed lethality of the Roman army, even its so called ‘second rate’ troops inflicting crushing defeats so complete on the enemy even the likes of Caesar and Trajan would be proud of.

The enemy vanquished, we retire those units which suffered the brunt of the fighting back to the cities to replenish their ranks and rearm. The Goth threat eliminated once more, our Thracian armies grow confident they can look to their defences without the aid of the legions. Julian, still in Ephesus, sighs with quiet relief as news reaches him the Danube frontier in Moesia is once again under control.

In Pannonia, however, the situation is entirely different, where yet another Quadi army lays siege to Sirmium...
    Last edited by Knonfoda; April 04, 2013 at 01:32 PM.

Oh give it a rest lol ... they are the enemies of Rome, and when Rome demands them destroyed, they are destroyed, regardless of whether they are innocent or guilty, they must all die alike!

Thanks for the compliment.
    Romani want to rule the world, but it doesn't mean everyone else want to be slaves

Two impressive victories, congratulations, Knonfoda
    This is getting all better and better, I just wonder can anyone stop you?

I don't think so

Indefinitely Banned

Most impressive victories.

The enemies of Julianus are lucky, that he hasn't made much movement to attack their lands. But if we would want to see the destruction of Julianus's empire, and it's nigh-invincible armies, we would have to bring all the other great empires to wage war against him (including the Gupta and Seres)

I think this just may be my favorite AAR of all time!

Quote Originally Posted by Vercingetorix King of Gauls View Post
    Romani want to rule the world, but it doesn't mean everyone else want to be slaves

Two impressive victories, congratulations, Knonfoda
    This is getting all better and better, I just wonder can anyone stop you?

I don't think so
    Oh but they do, they are just too ashamed to ask for it They pretend to fight and resist, sure enough, but once we bring to them the benefits of Roman law and civilization, they never look back!

Thanks, I just can't wait till I sap these tribes of all their strength so they stop attacking me. Peace would be nice.

Most impressive victories.

The enemies of Julianus are lucky, that he hasn't made much movement to attack their lands. But if we would want to see the destruction of Julianus's empire, and it's nigh-invincible armies, we would have to bring all the other great empires to wage war against him (including the Gupta and Seres)
    True, the only thing that worries me is that these stupid bordering tribes keep throwing their manpower against me, when pretty soon I reckon the hordes of the steppes are going to fall on them, and without any armies, are going to pretty much walk all over them.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorCaesar View Post
    I think this just may be my favorite AAR of all time!
    Cheers!

Also, I decided to make the images slightly larger again as I was unsatisfied with the level of detail in the previous update.

I am also thinking of changing the name of this AAR to something slightly more mature and suitable, I was thinking something along the lines of Ivlianvs: Restitvtor Orbis? or something along those lines.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Last edited by Knonfoda; June 16, 2011 at 06:50 AM.

Episode XXX: Matters of State

While keeping the marauding hordes at bay and protecting Rome’s borders is all good fun, there is more to running and empire than simply killing barbarians. Vital matters of state must also be attended to, such as keeping slaves in their respective places, keeping the roads and trade routes open, seeing to temples and religions, and controlling the ‘mob’ of Rome and the empire, which as of lately have taken a turn for the gloomy and more and more cities across the empire become unsatisfied with raising taxes, a lack of security and the religious turmoil.

Let us begin with rebels though:

In Hispania, some men of the Legion VII Claudia Pia Fidelis have seen fit to rebel.

We see fit to destroy them for their treachery.

While in Mauretania Caesariensis, some auxiliary cohorts have taken to brigandage as their pay has dried up due to the dire financial situation of the Empire.

You fight for Rome not because it pays you, but because it demands that you fight. And so, when it demands that you die, you most CERTAINLY WILL DIE!

In Tripolitana, an even larger rebel army has assembled, blocking the busy Via Septimia, raiding its caravans, even going as far as hiring a unit of Veteran Pedites.

Their brief lives as raiders is swiftly brought to an end as they now know Rome’s internal security has not yet been forgotten, even in its most remote desert regions. Where you spring up, we will come and find you.

Speaking of deserts, one of our agents spots a large Berber army, probably heading north to engage the tribal warband that defeated its brothers only weeks ago. May they share the same fate.

In Lugdunensis I, Captain Procopius, a fitting name, thinks it wise to stand against the might of Rome.

We think it wise to send him and his men to the mines.

Nearby, these ‘ingrates’ are also destroyed for their insolence.

In Gallia, more members of the ingrate Legion have rise up in rebellion.

For the last time it would seem, for after we put them to the sword, they shall never rise again.

The story repeats itself in Silicia.

And even in Dalmatia, where interestingly, the rebels defeat the first, admittedly low quality garrison army we sent against them.

This being Rome, we send ANOTHER army against them. Should it be necessary, we would be prepared to send however many armies the job would take to finish.

But thankfully that proves unnecessary.

Meanwhile, in Aegyptus, Aurelianus receives a reply from the letter he sent to emperor Julianus:

“Salutatio Aurelianus,

In reply to your previous correspondence, I wish to convey to you that we are of the same mind. The provinces of Aegyptus have long been deprived of imperial patronage, having been quietly forgotten in the passing of time, their temples decaying, their garrisons bleeding, and their crops failing.

I attribute the current unrest and religious issues to this neglect, which we must not allow to continue my friend! Your presence has already been noted by destroying the Blemmye tribes and restoring order to the rebellious province, but more is needed I’m afraid. To this end, I am entrusting you, and you only, Legate of the legions, to act as my official representative in the province, seeing to its defences and its inhabitants welfare, its temples, and its religious woes. I recommend you make your way to Alexandria, and consult with Orestes, and perhaps even Pythia, which I hold in high esteem, as she symbolises the standard of moral and intellectual veracity, not to mention her pagan background, that I see is so sadly lacking in today’s empire. Bring order to that city Aurelianus! Keep the Christians there in check, but do not resort to violent retribution. Alexandria was once a great city of the empire, it must be made great once more.

To aid you in this endeavour, there is one mission I require of you. You are to meet with my trusted friend, Oribasius, whom I have already sent on to you by way of ship. On meeting him, you are to take your army through to Ammonium, where you are to recapture the city for the glory of the empire, ever since it was deprived of it by those raiders that took it. You are to reinstate the Oracle at Siwa, and hopefully his renewed cult can bring the spiritual guidance back to the province that it so badly requires.

Oribasius is also to consult the oracle regarding my plans, of which you are well aware of, to launch an expedition into Sassanid lands, once the current turmoil and unrest in the empire is taken care of.
    I entrust to you these tasks not only because you are an old and loyal friend, but because you also represent the highest level of competence and virtus that I have come to demand from my colleagues.

May the Gods bless you in your mission.

Flavius Claudius Julianus Augustus”

Reading the message, Aurelianus is quick to move his legions and his entourage to camp outside the port of Alexandria, waiting for the emperor’s friend, Oribasius to arrive, before they begin their mission to Ammonium.

Julianus, also takes the time to write back to one of his advisors in Constantinople.

“Salvete Excitidius Onus,

I thank you for your concern on matters concerning the security of the empire. The Pictae and Caledonii have been brought under control, but the Governor of Britannia informs me he does not have the manpower or the fleet necessary for a concerted campaign against the Gaelic tribes at this time.

As for the tribes we know as the Berbers, they will be dealt with soon, as soon as we can muster a legion to send against them.

As for Moesia and Pannonia, my commanders there have strict orders to remain on the defensive until the battered Herculi, Joviani and Tertia Julia Alpina legions are brought back to strength so that they may go on the offensive against the Quadi settlements to regain our lost eagle. The honour of Rome must be regained, but it must be regained in the right time and in the right manner.

Regarding our emissaries to the Persian court, we have already sent one to make contact with the Indians and these ‘Seres’ you speak of. If all goes well, in the next few years, I intend to lead our armies east in the manner of Alexander. We shall then meet these people face to face.
    I thank you for your advice and your worry. Please keep an eye on the politics at Constantinople for me, and inform me of any change that arouses suspicion.

Flavius Claudius Julianus Augustus”

Contradicting what has been said at the beginning of this episode, it turns out killing barbarians is also a very important part of running an empire:

- Embedded Soundtrack I, play while reading this episode.

And so, we set our hearts to our tasks, and Flavius Aetius engages yet another Quadi army, which has made its way across the Danube and laid siege to Sirmium.

The cracks are definitely beginning to show in the Quadi warbands. They seem unable to muster them to full strength, no doubt due to the defeats we have been inflicting on them over the past ten months.

Warlord Huocin makes war on walls as he attempts to lead his pitiful little band against Sirmium. He thinks perhaps that the stories of entire armies disappearing by the banks of the Danube are all tales to scare little children. Little does he know he is about to become the main character in the next chapter of the saga of children’s scary stories!

The lines are formed, archers in front, main line behind, cavalry to either side.

The enemy warband however seems to be in full march to the east, seeking high ground perhaps.

Our sagitarii unleash the affectionately named Latin delights upon them, showering the vulnerable enemy with all manner of misleadingly named projectiles.

Our cavalry engage these annoying lancers with their bows and their arrows, putting their comfortable and dishonourable skirmish to an end as we force them to fight like men with their swords and shields.

Our main line re-positions itself to deal with this indecisive enemy, which knows not whether to fight, sit around or run.

It would seem though, that Huocin lacks the respect of his men, but most importantly, any leadership skill at all. His entire army breaks without a fight and routs in different directions, the cavalry first, his infantry taking to flight to either side, apparently not prepared to fight the Roman army that has appeared before them.

For his grave mistake, Huocin must die. We must teach these Quadi savages a lesson that if you do decide to attack Rome, at least do it properly.

We approach the enemy bodyguard, retreating in dishonour as Huocin curses the heavens for his men abandoning him. He shall soon pay the price too!

Meanwhile, his cowardly infantry, some of them weighed down by their armour and heavy weapons, such as these heavy axemen, are caught up by our much lighter infantry, surrounded, and now fight for their very lives!

Speaking of fighting for their lives, Huocin’s bodyguard is doing exactly that, as to either side of his quickly shrinking orbis, his men are brutally ridden down and trampled under as your alae charge remorselessly into their ranks, confidently shouting abuse at them at the prospect of killing an enemy warlord.

Which of course does not take long. Huocin fights to the last, but is unable to cope as a spear finds it mark deep within his back. He draws his last breath as life exits him, and he stumps to the ground, blood oozing from his back and staining his lovely hamata set.

Victory is ours, and Aetius Flavius stands once again outside the walls of Sirmium, looking over his blooded but confident and battle hardened army.

Meanwhile, in Caledonia, the looting and pillaging of the Pictish settlement of Dal Raida continues, building being brought to the ground, the city systematically razed, its riches confiscated and sent south to the procurators reporting to the governor and the emperor.

We take the chance to reform the Tertia, Joviani and Herculiani legions that were nearly lost due to Terentilius’ disaster. Rather than disband them for their disgrace, including the eagle they have lost and that remains in Campus Iazyges, we will reform them and send them on their way to recover their eagle and their honour.

In Italia, our retrained and reformed Auxilia Palatinae Brachiati and Cornuti are sent north into Germania once more now that their numbers have been brought up to strength.

As are the Auxilia Palatinae Mattiaci.

And in Germania, we send one of our field armies under Nebridius, to destroy yet another Alemanni army once again besieging our fort at Moguntiacum. He leads a number of ripenses detachments from the Secundae Adiutrix legions. They are as of yet recently formed, from before the time of Julian, and not tested in battle. This presents the perfect opportunity. The only worry is that most of them are unarmoured.

And so we engage the enemy.

The enemy are led by warlord Gibuld, a good commander that routinely trains his men, an unusual quality for a barbarian warlord. At some point he must have served in our armies as a foederati. We must be careful how we deal with this one.

His army contains the usual Alemmani contingents.

- Embedded soundtrack II, play while reading this episode.

Our lines position themselves, and our large contingent of numeri may prove useful as they are good at hiding themselves and laying ambushes.

While our cavalry begin their usual flanking manoeuvres.

Engaging a nearby unit of Wodawinga with their lancea.

- Cohortes! Brace yourselves for the charge! First liners, SHIELDS! Second liners, hold them in place!

- Sagitarii! Loose!

Our cavalry however are forced to separate as they engage a unit of Wodawinga and the enemy bodyguard intervene, forcing our men to retreat and regroup.

The enemy continue to throw their insane berserkers at us, hoping to punch a hole through our lines.

But our men are ready and repel their attack.

As their heavy axemen join the fight however, a hole in our lines becomes an increasingly likely occurrence as our unarmoured men make easy targets for these beasts.

Which is why we order our dispersed cavalry to converge on the flanks of the attacking enemy.

Gibuld’s intense training of his men shows however. Unlike normal barbarians, this lot seems disinclined to rout and flee, casually turning about to face the incoming cavalry. The fight becomes a bloodbath as our troopers are forced to engage in melee fighting with both flanks, neither of which shows any sign of turning tail and fleeing.

The battle is bloody and last for hours. All around, exhausted units break, the screams of the dying piercing the battlefield, the stench of blood and feces filling the air. Troopers are bogged down in hand to hand fighting and are unable to fight properly, while our unarmoured ripenses are mauled by the enemy axemen and bodyguard units.

The fighting is fiercest by the grove on the middle of the battlefield, where desperate centurios and optios shout encouragement and bark orders at the frightened miles pitched against the elite of the enemy warband. If these men break, they think, the entire battle is lost.

Rain begins to batter the heads of those still lucky enough to have them, and the downpour provides temporary refuge from the sweat and blood of battle. The bodyguard of Gibuld is surrounded, but appear unmoved by the prospect of no retreat.

They fight like wild beats, lumbering their heavy spathas around, carving holes in the ranks of the miles facing them, killing some instantly while grievously wounding others. Finally however, Gibuild is brought down as troopers manage to isolate him and kill him. He dies much as he lived, defiantly, shouting in his own native language before he is silenced forever as a spear is thrust through his mouth.

A close victory to say the least. Needless to say, we did not expect the 1000 men dead casualty figure. If anything could be learned from this, it would be not to use inexperienced and above all, unarmoured men against a tough enemy.

We detach the cohorts and cuneus that suffered the most in the battle to be retrained in the nearby forts and cities. The only problem is, not anticipating these casualties, the treasury finds itself unable to support these units.

And so we turn to our favourite money lenders. No, not the Jews this time, but the Christians.

And now, all is at is should be. The retraining of the units progresses at full speed.

Our finances remain as grim as they have ever been.

And so winter is coming to a close.... the enemy warbands defeated, the empire secure, our army brought to strength.... and yet a number of challenges await us. The Christian Ghassanid Rebellion will most likely come about in the next few months, cities in the empire, suffering under high taxation and public discord, threaten to join them, and as usual, barbarians are at all of Rome’s borders. With matter of state attended to, we await the coming of spring, and whatever fortunes the Gods see fit to bestow upon our glorious empire...
    Last edited by Knonfoda; December 23, 2015 at 10:37 AM.

Why so many auto-resolves?

AND WHY DID YOU DESTROY CELTIC BUILDINGS?!

Romani are true barbarians...

There were no auto-resolves, just didn't want to bog down the episode with needless screenshot of my outflanking rebels and them tearing them to shreds. I destroyed them because I was young and naive and needed the money.

Indefinitely Banned

Great!

Seems like you aren't gonna keep the pictish settlement, considering, that your demolishing the buildings. As integrating that settlement to the empire after all that would be madness, both practically and historically.

Great!

Seems like you aren't gonna keep the pictish settlement, considering, that your demolishing the buildings. As integrating that settlement to the empire after all that would be madness, both practically and historically.
    Indeed, that's the idea of my style of play. It isn't practical, and its ahistorical-ish to incorporate a settlement during a punitive expedition. When I launch an actual incursion, now that's another story altogether!

My dear friends. It is with great regret that I have perhaps to to give you the last update for at least ten days, as I am off to take part in an experiment which requires my utmost isolation, which sadly means I cannot continue updating this until said experiment is over, a good ten days from now.

And thus, I give to you, The Shape of Things to Come. See you all in ten days time! Enjoy!

Episode XXXI: Shape of Things to Come...

– Embedded soundtrack I, play while reading this episode.

And as the thankless task of slaughtering smelly barbarians must give way to short periods of respite, so too must winter give way to spring. In the Roman Empire of 362 A.D however, spring brings with it not just the birds and the bees, but also....

Yes! You guessed it! Smelly desert barbarians! Attacking the scouts we sent to ‘scout’ their territory! Sadly they are engaged and lose a number of them, but at least we know the Berbers have a large army nearby.

Spring also brings an Arab Spring (of sorts) as the settlement of Petra revolts, as do a number of others, such as Tingis and Gadis. But all is not bad news... spring also brings forth a number of exciting opportunities and blessings!

Firstly, it has been Julianus’ first year in power! All must stand and watch in awe as he simultaneously defeats Alemanns, Quadi, Vandals, Goths, Rebels, Berbers, Barbarians, Caledonii, and every other tribe conceivable. In the space of a year too! May the next couple of years bring increased prosperity and security to the empire under his guidance! Long Live Augustus! Long Live Caesar!

For the first time in ages, we have *actually* made some money, almost a thousand denarii to be precise! Not a long, but a refreshing change from the minus 25000 we had a year ago!

We have also secured another ceasefire with the Goths, which seem to be coming to their senses regarding forcefully settling roman lands.

Not to mention that Julianus, under his wise and loving governorship, has seen it fit to upgrade the status of the city of Ephesus to a more rewarding rank within the empire! Truly, Julianus blesses its population with his presence!

And our armies are retrained and brought up to strength.... no longer shall Rome cower behind its walls waiting for the enemy to take the initiative!

Despite their overtures of peace, the Goths have seen fit to send a large force to the opposite banks of the Danube.... OH HOW ROME WONDERS WHAT THEY WILL DO NEXT... yes we do.

The Quadi, not wishing to play mind games with us, attack us at once. We admire their straightforwardness and their eagerness to die. One day we shall erect a monument in the style of the Dying Gaul depicting their heroic struggle against reality and the Roman Empire.

Meanwhile, in Gaul, it appears even the our most precious units, such as these onagers, are now for sale in the mercenary market. We lament those that were once our brothers may be offering their services to the enemy.

The Caledonii ‘Navy’ has seen fit not to attack our naval forces, and so we send them back to port, hopefully to retrain and regroup after their recent defeats at the hands of the Caledonii.

In Moesia, we chose to have some units retrained, but even with our meager profits, we do not have enough money to accomplish this task. Cataphracti are by no means cheap...

And in Hispania, we reinforce cities contemplating joining the dark side of the force as they entertain notions that rebellion may indeed be the right thing to do. Our garrison reinforcements crush those thoughts before they have time to muster any conviction though...

Sadly, Gades must once more be besieged for their audacity in revolting twice! They are well on their way to having the city razed to the ground, and all but forgotten!

– Embedded Soundtrack II – play while reading this episode.

Anyway, ENOUGH talk and debate and philosophising about rebels and this and the that and the economy! Rome was not built by hosting meetings, Rome was built by KILLING ALL THOSE THAT OPPOSED THEM! And kill all that oppose us we SHALL!

We can start with these filthy Alemanni! They have stood against Rome one too many times! We are going to make them MEET THEIR MAKERS much in the same manner Caesar met Cleopatra! OK, perhaps it will be less sensual, and the long flowing carpet shall be replaced by the long flowing of blood from our enemies, BUT THEY SHALL MEET THEIR GODS NEVERTHELESS! DEATH TO BARBARIANS!

Epic Battle begins as our imperial field armies of Auxilia Palatinae and legio detachments meets their last stand of petty warriors, their second army which admittedly has some very impressive units. It doesn't matter my friends, they may have attack 22 and defence 33 (WTF JH, are you for real? Lol) but we have Rome and virtus and kick-ass cavalry and the desire to see the enemy vanquished! Surely that still counts for something these days!?

Battle is joined by a hill that would afterwards be remembered as ‘That Hill Where Few Stood Against Many and Overcame *Almost* All that Opposed Them’.

One of our generals, I am not sure which one, seems to be blessed by having THE most elite cavalry in the Roman army, the very SAME cavalry sported by the likes of Imperator Augustus Julianus himself. They shall come in useful today.

We bring the very standard of the Emperor himself to battle today! Surely nothing can stop us! The Emperor wills you all die! And all die you shall!

The plan, my friends, is very simple. Long infantry line, second skirmishing line, heavy cavalry to our right, ‘light’ cavalry to our left. We shall mop up the barbarian hordes like our slaves mop up our tricliniums after a lavish banquet!

The enemy seem very sensible, that is to say, COWARDLY, these days, as they sit on the top of their hill and eagerly await their reinforcements instead of fighting us like men.

Well, it does not matter, for if Barbarian does not come to Rome, Rome will most certainly and decisively COME TO THE BARBARIANS!

Verenianus scans the horizon carefully as he quickly calculates the number of Alemanni barbarians on the hill and the effort it will take his men to dislodge them. This will be his finest battle he thinks, the battle where he vanquishes the hated Alemanni once and for all, leaving the road to their capital clear and the vengeance that will follow sweet to the taste!

The time has come brave Romans! Charge into these horse-boys with all your hatred! KILL THEM ALL!

Our infantry line prepares to meet the enemy advance, in particular a unit of cavalry which thinks itself smart by attempting to outflank us.

Our heavy cavalry are ordered to charge at the oncoming infantry in what could be described as the no-man’s land. The charge is so ferocious, the death toll so high, words cannot describe how the Barbarians felt that day when the charge hammered into them.

YES! Break in your hundreds! Why don’t you make like dogs and flea!

Some heavy axemen think they can have some fun with our cavalry by bogging them down.

What they did not count on however was with our SURPRISE! cavalry hidden in the woods nearby, which spring the trap and fall down on them kontos at the ready!

All vanquished before our line, we order them to ADVANCE! Advance like your lives depend on it, WHICH THEY DO!

The enemy King thinks himself wise in engaging our allies cavalry. We think it wise to ORDER OUR ENTIRE ALAE OF HEAVY CAVALRY TO SUPPORT OUR FRIENDS! YOU ARE GOING TO DIE TODAY KING MAROBODUUS!

AARRGGHHHH! Our troubles begin with our nemesis, these BLASTED WODAWINGA savages which just refuse to die a dying death! They unhorse our general, Verenianus, and kill him cold-blood! HIS DEATH MUST BE AVENGED! You must all be killed for your insolence! The Julian will be most displeased with this news!

Right you bastards, that it, you asked for it! For the life of a Roman General, you are now about to lose the life of your king! We shall take him from you like Paris took Helen from Menelaus!

You would not think it true, I certainly didn't when I first saw it, but these WODAWINGA bastards, more lethal than their pretty names would suggest, have singlehandedly routed every single unit we have put against them!

Men, STOP THEM! Make them PAY! DO SOMETHING!

Yes! Finally some good news! Warlord Adawulf met his fate at the hands of the legion, his neck slit, his head made a trophy, his body poked with a stick and his dog kicked, he died a most glorious death on the field of battle!

OH MY Jupiter! What the Hades! SOMEONE KILL THESE IMPERTINENT BASTARDS! They have killed our general! OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

The berserkers, emboldened by their string of humiliating victories, charge any which come upon them.

- FOR GREAT JUSTICE! Wherever Vercingetorix may be now, he surely must be laughing as his fellow barbarians rip our men to shreds.

But all good barbarians must come to an end, and so too must you, WODAWINGA, the scourge of Rome!

An utterly unsatisfying victory. The Alemanns, too scared to fight, fled in their thousands as their brave Wodawinga stayed back and held us off long enough to guarantee their cowardly escape. They have also KILLED ONE OF OUR GENERALS! This is the SECOND TIME Germania witnesses the death of one of our Generals.... our retribution shall be swift, our anger all consuming! We shall MAKE THEM PAY FOR WHAT THEY HAVE DONE!

– Embedded Soundtrack III – play while reading this episode.

Their capital is now disgraced by the presence of their cowardly king, and their new faction heir, after we slew the previous one. We shall not stop until they are all dead!

Oh no, this shall not do at all.

That’s more like it! There shall be no more cowardly escape now my good king! No more hiding behind your feeble walls! NOW, you WILL ALL DIE!

Marjorianus Cassianum, now appointed commander of the legions and entrusted to see the Alemanni head towards the footnotes of history, surveys the field of battle where he will KILL THEM ALL!

The enemy, ever so clever, attempt to ambush us though, spring up right behind us! Luckily our cavalry alae charge forward away from their range!

Our infantry makes a line, using a burnt out roundhouse as cover, while our light cavalry alae make a stand on the nearby hill.

- MEN! ADVANCE! Avenge your dead general! Make him proud! Slaughter them like cattle!

These wodawinga think they can repeat the feat of the previous battle. But our lancea from behind prove them wrong, as they are speared like chunks of meat on a brazier!

Captain Sesisthacus falls to our cataphracti as a particularly angry and enraged trooper jumps at him from his horse, wrestling him to the ground and strangling him with his own hands. For his feat of bravery and savagery, he was to be promoted to a Decurion that same day.

These animals, for lack of a better name, are quite possibly the most deadly tenacious sons of tree dwellers we have ever met, but they too must die today!

The enemy reinforcements, led by their king and their ‘heir’, instead of engaging our allied army, opts instead to rush at us and try to get us while we are still engaged with the first Alemanni warband. Thankfully they do not prove much of a challenge and flee in time so that we can re-position and attack the oncoming warriors.

Their deadly advance is met by an even DEADLIER counter charge of heavy cavalry and they break and flee, their very lives at and end and the twilight of the Alemanni time upon them!

King Maroboduus is the FIRST to meet his maker today as troopers dispatch him to his Gods as a lancea buries itself deep within his chest, piercing his heart, making him wobble in his saddle, to fall to the ground of his lovely Germania and die a well deserved death after all the trouble he has brought on us!

The next is Cimberius, heir to the throne! The sudden encounter with an arrow to the eye proves too much for him and he quits the fight, bidding farewell to his life as his soul departs his body.

As the enemy are relentlessly pursued and hunted down like dogs, Marjorianus finds time to honour and reward the valiant survivors of a detachment of Legion IV Armigeri Defensores, which stood their ground and were reduced to a mere six men in the face of the onslaught of the Wodawinga tribe!

The enemy, as promised, are all KILLED! They die a dying death, leave their settlement undefended, and ripe for the plunder! SADLY, my game crashes soon afterwards! AAARGGGH! DAMN YOU!

I fight the same battle. Again. Except his time, I spare an enemy family member, hoping perhaps this time my precious game will not crash.

It does not! To cut a long story short, I sent a spy into the settlement which now has only one family member numbering 13 troops, and a suebiske unit with maybe 50-60 or so troops. I kill them all, and take their settlement! AT LAST! THE ALEMANNI ARE VANQUISHED MY FRIENDS! ALL BASK IN THE GLORY OF MARJORIANUS AS HE DESTROYS THESE HEATHENS!

Our men put to the sword the Alemanni settlement of more than 9000 people, killing all the men, raping all the women, taking them as slaves, and burning the place to the ground. Marjorianus becomes wealthy beyond his wildest dreams, and the Alemanni are relegated to the footnotes of history.

Or are they?

We send a spy to investigate disturbing reports that the Alemanni, having lost their last city, have taken to flight and formed hordes of migrants. What we find is more than disturbing. An entire multitude of their people have taken to flight and now wander aimlessly around central Germania.

This was most definitely not our intention, we did not know this was even their last settlement. Our idea was to kill their king and heir, sack their capital, deprive them of their armies, and then make them a client state of Rome, to act as a buffer zone between us and the more aggressive barbarians, not to multiply their strength!

And so after looting their settlement and razing it to the ground, we abandon it, and relocate our Frankish allies to settle it.

After agreeing on mutual terms, on having them aid us against our Vandal enemies, we persuade them to take our newly captured settlement, which we have renamed to Vicus Vereniani in honour of the fallen Verenianus, which gave his life to extinguish the Alemanni threat.

The Franks have populated the settlement with some of their more seasoned veteran soldiers, which is good, as they shall act as a decent buffer between the marauding Alemanni warbands. Hopefully the two allies will go to war now that the Franks occupy their allies land.

With the Alemanni deprived of their settlements, we order our battered troops back to barracks to retrain and regroup. With enough money to afford any restocking that we may wish, this is not a difficult task.

Meanwhile, Marjorianus goes over the reports that thousands upon thousands of Alemanni immigrants wander the forest of Germania. He wonders whether they will once again set foot on Roman soil, and whether these hordes will become the new enemy of Rome, instead of her traditional settled enemies. As he re-evaluates his position on the Rhine, and hears of reports of renewed rebellion and dreaded ‘Huns’ sweeping down all before them, he ponders about the shape of things to come...
    Last edited by Knonfoda; December 23, 2015 at 10:47 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

excellent! Though why do you compare Gauls to Germanics? even Romans knew that they aren't one and same group of tribes. Besides, they are part of the empire, and have so been for at least 400 years.

Ok then, I think we can wait for your return. have fun!

excellent! Though why do you compare Gauls to Germanics? even Romans knew that they aren't one and same group of tribes. Besides, they are part of the empire, and have so been for at least 400 years.

Ok then, I think we can wait for your return. have fun!
    Thanks!

I wasn't aware that I compared the two, If you are referring to my reference to Vercingetorix, I mean the one here on the forum, which is always happy when barbarians tear my men to shreds lol

EDIT: Sorry Scutarilegion, my previous response was a bit harsh, I received some bad news and took it out on you, my apologies.
    Last edited by Knonfoda; June 16, 2011 at 03:02 PM.

Thanks!

I wasn't aware that I compared the two, If you are referring to my reference to Vercingetorix, I mean the one here on the forum, which is always happy when barbarians tear my men to shreds lol

EDIT: Sorry Scutarilegion, my previous response was a bit harsh, I received some bad news and took it out on you, my apologies.
    No, I am happy only when Celts defeat you, I support you on all other fronts
    Sorry you won't update in the next 10 days, I am gonna read the update tomorow, as I don't have time no

Anyways, good luck with the experiment, hope to hear you soon
    Beautiful AAR so far, my friend!

EDIT: I decided to read it after all
    Great victories agains Alemani, sorry your general died
    That was a great way to protect yourself from the Vandals and I think the Franks won't argue

I am sure those rebelions will finish quickly

Congratulations once again, Knonfoda
    Last edited by Vercingetorix King of Gauls; June 16, 2011 at 04:45 PM.