Page 6 of 117 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156106 ... LastLast

Thread: [IB:SAI AAR] Julian, The Savior Of Rome? [ FINAL UPDATE 13/06/2013 | COMPLETE ]

The excited one's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [IB:SAI AAR] Julian, the savior of Rome?

awesome and also you need to get rid of the franks they are getting stonger than ever base on Colonia Agrippina and using their population as soldiers for them (even though i notice that their forces can't cross the rhine due to forts which block them from reinforcements but seriously finish those franks off they are spamming loads or troops which can be uncontrollable in 2 or 3 years and in africa build towers to have more line of sight around the area for those tribesman . For quadi try to wipe out their troops as many as possible so that they won't be a threat same as the vandals.

p.s how about the goths as well as the persians what were they doing right now (espicially the goths)

p.p.s it seems in your budget that you have spend lots of money on troops i suggest to "accelerate" your religious reforms by crushing churches to make money as well as forcing settlements to rebel and exterminate them since i suspect that you had a-lot of spare troops which might be handy within your empire
    war is peace, ignorance is strength, freedom is slavery......
    (george orwell 1984)

Knonfoda's Avatar I came, I read, I wrote

Quote Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
    I love this AAR...

(for furture refference, its Panninia, not Illyria...)

+rep
    Panini! Where!?

Thanks for the rep and the correction. Sometimes, when I'm too lazy to name an individual province or such, I just go for the whole geographical area, eg Gaul, or in this case Illyria. But it does seem more accurate to name the provices, so I'll go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by The excited one View Post
    awesome and also you need to get rid of the franks they are getting stonger than ever base on Colonia Agrippina and using their population as soldiers for them (even though i notice that their forces can't cross the rhine due to forts which block them from reinforcements but seriously finish those franks off they are spamming loads or troops which can be uncontrollable in 2 or 3 years and in africa build towers to have more line of sight around the area for those tribesman . For quadi try to wipe out their troops as many as possible so that they won't be a threat same as the vandals.

p.s how about the goths as well as the persians what were they doing right now (espicially the goths)

p.p.s it seems in your budget that you have spend lots of money on troops i suggest to "accelerate" your religious reforms by crushing churches to make money as well as forcing settlements to rebel and exterminate them since i suspect that you had a-lot of spare troops which might be handy within your empire
    Like I said, I am playing this game in a manner that reflects the behaviour of the Empire at the time, to some extent. I know they are going to betray me, but I can't really attack first, they are my allies.

The Goths have gone elsewhere after their first defeat. I'm not using toggle_fow because I like the surprise of the game and not knowing where things are, also the reason I am not trading map information. The Persians have also not attacked, I suspect they have bigger problems elsewhere.

My budget is pretty troop heavy because I have the largest empire and largest army in the world. I'm doing religious reforms where possible, but I can't afford to lose cities, so some may have to wait.

Thanks for all the imput.

Can't wait to read more

But wouldn't it have been fun if the Woad to Wuin had been led by king Wodger of the twibe of the picts?

Also... the not yet forgotten legio V at oescus - i see what you did there it's a very interesting read as well, highly recommendable.

finally, i often find myself looking at this map:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._ca_400_AD.png

now idk if it's 100% accurate, but it should be useful to get the names of provinces right, and might even serve to name some anonymous village on the campaign map

Keep up the good work!
    "Siehst du in des Waldes Grün feindlicher Gewehrmaschin?"
    - Peronje

"Der NKWD in Russland, der SD im Deutschland des Dritten Reiches und alle anderen Geheimpolizeiorganisationen ähnlicher Art sind Spielwiesen für Psychopathen, für Usurpatoren illegaler Macht über Millionen.
    Dort liegen die Krebsherde der modernen Gesellschaft."

aus "Holt Hartmann vom Himmel" Motorbuch Verlag Spezial 2007

sorry Pannonia... xD

Quote Originally Posted by Luxchamp View Post
    Can't wait to read more

But wouldn't it have been fun if the Woad to Wuin had been led by king Wodger of the twibe of the picts?

Also... the not yet forgotten legio V at oescus - i see what you did there it's a very interesting read as well, highly recommendable.

finally, i often find myself looking at this map:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._ca_400_AD.png

now idk if it's 100% accurate, but it should be useful to get the names of provinces right, and might even serve to name some anonymous village on the campaign map

Keep up the good work!
    Ah, don't think I'm not going to use that soon, I just need to find a suitable general/battle for it!

Yeah, as said previously, my writing is a plethora of references within references. I have to say I wish I had SBH's skill, and his AAR is pretty amazing. I hope to some extent to pay homage to it, by at some point giving the 5th a good role in the near future!

Btw, way ahead of you Luxchamp, thats exactly the map I am using. Where do you think I got the ''Battle of Durostorum'' title from lol? But thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
    sorry Pannonia... xD

Episode XIX: Roma Victor!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

– Embedded Soundtrack, play while reading this episode.

In Germania Inferior, Legate Marjorianus prepares his men for the tough march ahead to destroy the remaining Alemanni tribes in Roman territory.

First however, we request reinforcements from nearby cities and garrisons.

Our force is still small and comparatively weak to that of the Alemanni heir, so Marjorianus decides to trap his enemy between two Roman forces, calling his friend Arintheus with a detachment of the Quartodecimani Legions and some auxiliaries to cut off the warband’s retreat.

With both armies in place, we engage the enemy.

His troop selection includes the usual Alemanni excuses that pass for soldiers, and some mercenaries.

The enemy, devoid of courage and finally beginning to grasp basic military strategy, occupies the high ground in a bid to outmanoeuvre us. Oh how they kid themselves.

Our forces divided into three, we will distract them with our skirmishing cavalry while our main force occupies the slope behind them, covered by our heavy cavalry.

The intention is to occupy the high ground to their left and attack them from there once our reinforcements arrive.

Which, lo and behold, they soon do!

The skirmishing task force goes above and beyond the call of duty by felling a large number of these armour-less bastards. Good riddance!

Eagerness gets the better of the Decurion and he orders his force to engage the enemy horse.

Meanwhile, our infantry take position as our ally Arintheus begins his attack.

We order our heavy cavalry, all cataphracts, to cover the retreat of one of his badly mauled scutarii equites.

While having to order our own little retreat as our Decurion realises that *somehow* four to one odds against the enemy medium horse proves insufficient to guarantee his victory.

All lines, FORWARD!

Amazingly though, a tribe of those Wodawinga painted monsters literally tears a hole through our advancing line and singlehandedly routs and entire manipuli of infantry. We do not know how these blue nosed bastards did it, but our line is now split in two.

Thankfully, our cataphracti alae does not have any prior commitments and we send them forth to rescue the day.

These man demons fight ferociously and kill any that dare approach them!

Our Decurion once more finds himself on the wrong side of a spear as he continues to engage the enemy horse with his own alae.

Having destroyed those Wodawinga, we position our cavalry on the flank of our force, ready to sweep down on the enemy.

After routing a few isolated units...

We order a total charge of the enemy line from behind.

- ROMA VICTOR! Marjorianus, inspired by a long dead friend, shouts their favourite greeting as he orders his alae and cunei to charge into the enemy ranks.

The effect of four alae of heavy cataphracts and his own bodyguard falling onto the enemy’s rear while it is already engaged from the front with infantry proves devastating and the entire line breaks.

Isolated pockets of resistance form...

But what remains of our second alae, now disengaged, makes itself useful and batters the demoralised barbarians.

And they do what they do best and flee.

Sadly, the enemy prince, Adawulf, manages to escape with most of his bodyguard.

Marjorianus watches with a look of slight concern as Adawulf flees the field, not managing to shake the feeling that this has been a hollow victory.

And a victory it is, as the remaining enemy are all hunted down and killed.

Marjorianus now has the most esteemed company of a veteran and a hero.

While on the other hand, Adawulf’s troops literally soil themselves at the prospect of being led into battle by such an incompetent prince, twice the reason for their defeats and humiliation.

Weakened, Marjorianus orders a marching camp to be built to block the road north to the enemy capital.

Even with a small garrison, the fort should be able to defend the road for long enough for reinforcements to arrive if needed. After sending a detachment to guard the road, Marjorianus retires back to his army.

Which camps together with his friend’s detachment, the Quartodecimani. Tonight these two old friends shall enjoy a good jug of wine while retelling the details of today’s battle, while the men will enjoy some much needed rest.

Casualties are sent to nearby cities to recuperate. With what little money the treasury has left, units are retrained, rearmed and replenished. The Rhine frontier must yield.

So far however, our forward defence and preemptive strike approach seems to be showing results. The enemy are reduced to what our scouts indicate is their last city, and month by month, battle by battle, their manpower and will to fight is depleted. Victory is perhaps not too far away from our grasp.

Analysing our treasury one last time, zealous scribes and overseers note we may actually make a profit in the next few months. A blessing from the Gods perhaps? With only one way to tell, we let the Gods decide the fate of our finances, and even the empire. We rest assured however that today at least, Roma stood victorious in the field of battle.
    Last edited by Knonfoda; April 04, 2013 at 10:43 AM.

Icon7 Re: [IB:SAI AAR] Julian, the savior of Rome?

You are doing great so far and I have to say your updates have a fantastic rhytm, I am impressed :

Episode XX: The Calm Before the Storm

– Embedded Sountrack, listen to while reading this episode.

They say time heals everything.... unless you are a rebel in the Roman Empire of 361 A.D, in which case, time only serves to swell your ranks, embolden your ambitions, and provide you with new cities.

Indeed, despite the massive proscriptions, massacres and the death of their leader in battle, the rebels have a number of new cities to their cause.

That, and our scribes were apparently wrong in predicting a profit last season. It turns out instead that we are actually losing money! Julian is most displeased with this news.

However, it is not all bad news. We find a suitable husband to one of our beloved daughters, and welcome him into our family as eagerly as a Barbarian welcomes Roman rule; trepidation at first, joy followed by inescapable sense of entrapment.

There have been some interesting developments by the Danube:

In their own ‘Great Conspiracy’, the Goths and the Quadi have decided to simultaneously attack all our outposts on the Pannoina/Moesian provinces.

Meanwhile, the Alemanni have seen fit to besiege our Castra overlooking the Rhine at Bonna.

And the Franks seem to have gotten our message and left Roman lands.

Having revised their initial estimations, our treasurers assure us we face a significant shortfall of at least 35,000 denarii in the next coming season. How we are going to come up with this amount of money is beyond us.

Actually, perhaps these rebels still have some use after all...

Asinus Hadrianus, and his lovely city of Tolosa, shall pay for their treachery with death and by helping to add to our finances. We order the city attack and its disloyal population punished.

Asinus, funnily enough, falls from his horse as it skids on the metaled roads of Tolosa under heavy rain, and fatally hits his head on a loose cobble. His undignified manner of death is as suitable as any end to such a treacherous ingrate.

The city is captured, its riches taken away, its population taught a lesson for their profligacy.

Alia is the next city to be added to the glory of Rome. We besiege it, destroy its garrison, and give its inhabitants the customary treatment awarded to the losing side of any war.

The rebel city of Thebae is besieged by Aurelianus and his legions

As predicted, Pirates are making a return not seen since the days of the republic, threatening trade routes and imperial fleets alike.

Our Julian must be careful, lest he end like the glorious Caesar in his early life, captured by Pirates and forced to be ransomed.

Julian however, is sadly depressed at the latest stage of events. Barbarians at Rome’s gates everywhere, cities falling from under his grasp, rebellion spreading and a dire financial situation. He entrusts the capture of Rhodes to a close friend, and takes much needed respite through the beautiful countryside of Caria, touring the province and seeking spiritual guidance by the nearby Mausoleum of Halikarnassus.

Clearchus happily takes to his duty, besieges the city, and fulfills the emperor’s order to the letter.

Valens Persius, enemy of the state, is cornered by the elite bodyguard entrusted to him by Julian himself and unceremoniously stabbed to death, his treacherous blood now poisoning only a roadside ditch.

Business as usual.

Meanwhile, the ragtag army of Servius Elagabalus prepares to assault the rebel capital, Toletum, with only its brick walls for defence.

The new rebel leader, while influential, lacks the military experience he so desperately requires to effectively defend his settlement.

The fool thinks it wise to charge head on into a unit of armoured limitanei, and sadly finds out the hard way that his beautifully adorned lorica musculata does not extend its protection to his groin. The lines of pteryges put up feigned protest as a spearpoint finds its way home. Bleeding heavily, Servius is dragged behind his lines by his men only to die under the care of his medicus from his grievous wounds.

Our victorious army marches through the city’s streets, terrorises its population appropriately, carrying off what they fancy, and put to death those involved with the rebellion.

For his unquestionable loyalty to Rome, and the breaking of the rebel capital and death of its leader, Servius is rewarded by Julian with a triumph and a sizable donatio. Truly, Augustus’ generosity knows no bounds!

In Raetia, we put the poor excuse of an agente in rebus to use to assassinate a Alemanni official, no doubt up to no good and attempting to lure our soldiers away with promises of glory and riches and women.

Why does this not surprise me? The Imperial Courier Service, like the rest of the empire, shows how inept it has become over the ages... perhaps reform and better training is needed.

Meanwhile, in Persia, a more successful agent finds the Sassanid capital for us, and locates their armies.

As Julian and his entourage expected, it seems the Sassanids have bigger problems within their own borders. A large raiding party of Arabs has infiltrated their territory, and even now we hear of large forces massed to the very east. This off course is good, the weaker they become, the riper they are for the taking!

Provincial governors and city magistrates, told to stamp out the religious strife caused by a number of monotheistic religions, and ordered to increase their contributions to the state treasury, continue with their policies of appropriation of temple treasures and the closing of churches.

Even Aelia Capitolina, the Jews main city, is deprived of their only synagogue.

As fun as putting down revolts and dispossessing certain sects of society of their religious places of worship, and in some cases of their very lives, all this *excitement* pales in comparison to that the tribunes of the Danube frontiers must be feeling right now as they have a full scale invasion to repel on all possible crossings. Being Romans, however, they put mind to purpose and make preparations for the inevitable confrontation that is to follow...

Quote Originally Posted by Vercingetorix King of Gauls View Post
    You are doing great so far and I have to say your updates have a fantastic rhytm, I am impressed :
    Thanks! Being on holiday and having nothing better to do contributes a lot lol
    Last edited by Knonfoda; April 04, 2013 at 10:48 AM.

Nice victories and burning some Christians buildings make an excellent update!

Episode XXI: They Speak of Courage Like Fish Speak of Flying

- Embedded Soundtrack I - Play while reading this episode.

With the Thervingi Goths besieging both the Durostorum and Bononia Danube forts, legate Verenianus, leader of a large Gothic foederati army, curses his luck as all that remains in the 5th Legions Headquarters at Oescus is their administrative staff, not the soldiers or contingents that he so badly requires at this moment of utmost peril.

With little choice, he marches on to engage the nearest Gothic horde at Durostorum.

The enemy chieftain, Sarus, appreciates the finer things in life, such as music. If the Gods are kind, the agonising screams of his dying men may provide a useful chorus to his musician as he sings of defeat and submission today!

He also has some decent troops at his disposal, especially ex-foederati cohorts, that having served under Rome, now return to aid their Gothic warlords. These Roman trained troops could prove problematic for us, as we have no Roman troops of our own bar a unit of manubalistarii.

We mass our forces on a slight ridge, our numbers insufficient and our men’s morale questionable to assault their forces head on.

Meanwhile, Saturninus and his unit of sagitarii arrives.

The massed cavalry are ordered to engage and harass the enemy horse so as to deprive them of numbers.

But they are resilient and refuse to die the good death we are providing them with!

Our second force has better luck with the unit of skirmisher cavalry it has engaged.

After a couple of charges we finally manage to reduce them to manageable numbers!

Our second force, led by Verenianus himself, has successfully managed to destroy all the enemy horse pitched against them, and utterly routed them!

The enemy champions however, growing weary of games and the routing of their comrades, decides to set an example and bravely charges ahead of their line into our ranks!

We order our skirmishers to curb their enthusiasm through a warm welcome with lanceas!

And our Gothic lancers ordered to make short work of this isolated bunch of idiots.

These veterans refuse to break however, and force our cavalry to retreat.

It takes repeated charges and the commitment of our skirmishers to finally break these hardened warriors! While defeated, their brave deed stands as an example to the rest of the huge Gothic army.

Our allies have sadly met a similar fate as they venture too near the enemy line and are killed to a man within seconds.

We continue our deadly game with their cavalry, and finally destroy them!

Our own cavalry alae, impetious, impatient and emboldened by their recent efforts, take it upon themselves to harass not individual units but the entire flank of the enemy! Verenianus allows them this pleasure while observing closely.

And ordering a retreat the moment things get out of hand.

Meanwhile, another band of heroes, deciding to follow the example of their other champions, also charges forward to hurl insults and abuse towards our line.

Our cavalry are quickly ordered to put an end to this mockery, but their schiltrom formation proves deadly to our horse, which are forced to retire.

Victorious, and providing much needed inspiration for their comrades, the abuse continues.

- Romans! Hear ye now, for we speak the truth! Your mother’s are all hamsters, and your fathers smell of elderberries!

Our archers and manubalistarii, incensed at these accusations, open fire in a fit of rage!

Their verbal assault knows no bounds, shouting the odds even under heavy fire!

- If you come as soldiers, you are too little, and if you come as ambassadors to beg for your lives, you are too many! Hahahaha!

Their entire line laughs behind them as this little band of men are allowed to hurl their insults at the hated Romans and yet live to tell the tale!

Verenianus, keeping a level head, orders the skirmishers and manubalistarii to put an end to their daring!

Their efforts seem to have paid off and their entire line surges forward!

Our cavalry quickly disperses their advancing units however.

This group of particularly vicious jokers and jesters remains however, against all the odds!

- Did we tell you the one about the Roman who...

An unimpressed centurion of the first line however, has had quite enough of this.

- RIGHT! That’s it! You VICIOUS BASTARDS! Don’t say we didn't warn you! We've put it on the line TIME AND TIME AGAIN for you! RIGHT! We’re going to give you a DAMN GOOD THRASHING!

With these words, the entire first line surges forward to engulf their comic oppressors!

The cavalry decides to join in and before long the champions are surrounded and quickly fighting for their lives, totally unready for the torrent of rage and anger that falls upon them.

Their humorous words are no match for the hundreds of spears and spathas that greeted them and they are slain to a man. Our army is now safe from their joke warfare.

The enemy, suitably demoralised by the loss of their champions, and the battle having gone on for long enough as it is, makes for the perfect moment for our advance. FORWARD!

Our cavalry falls on their left flank and they in a torrent of horse, steel and speed!

The outcome is the desired one, they all break and flee before the might of Rome! WHERE ARE YOUR JOKES NOW!

Saurus, the enemy warlord, accompanied by his entourage and his minstrel, makes haste!

- Geiseric, quickly, a song appropriate for our retreat!

- Yes master. Erm, Brave Sir Saurus ran away! Bravely ran away away! When danger reared its ugly head he bravely turned his tail and fled! Yes, brave sir Saurus turned about and gallantly he chickened out! He BRAVELY took to his feet, he beat a very BRAVE retreat! He bravely ran away!

- Geiseric, what in the name of AARRGHG eerhhghm hmnnpf....

Saurus, brave leader of the brave Gothic hordes, is dispatched as quickly as one dispatches a beggar from the front of one’s porch. His entrails, now out for inspection on the ground, will make suitable divinations for our re-employed haruspices. Verenianus, not devoid of a sense of humour, spares the hilarious minstrel and now has him as part of his own entourage. He performs live for his masters diner parties every Saturday at say around just after sunset.

Despite heavy abuse and the loss of a large number of our cavalry, victory is heroically ours! Once more, the fort of Durostorum witnesses another crushing defeat for the Goths on its own territorium.

However, the fortress at Bononia is still under siege from another Gothic warband, and a rebel Gothic army, having raised their tribe from under Roman control, and risen up in revolt, anticipating their brothers from the North breaking through our defences and ‘liberating’ them.

We ‘liberate’ them from the burden of life.

Ammanius’ head is quickly parted from his body as a spatha finds home and severs it from its standing place on his neck. The Gothic tribe, curse themselves for having followed this man’s promises in siding with the Goths, and are all killed.

With the path cleared, we reinforce this army with reinforcements from nearby Singidunum, notably a unit of equites Sarmatorum and some legio comitatenses sagitarii, armoured archers.

Verenianus, having just defeated one horde, is recalled to this time lead a regional field army, a Roman army, for the first time. He feels confident, if he can beat the Goths at their own game with their own countrymen, he should have little trouble emulating this with better armoured, trained and armed Roman troops.

The enemy warband is almost identical in composition to the previous one, only this time led by a chieftain by the name of Viderichus.

Our troops assemble on the opposite bank, on a high slope, waiting for the enemy to cross, cavalry massed to our left flank, archers at the ready.

Perhaps a little bit of goading is in order then? Our tribune, second in command and leader of the elite equites domesticorum, feels lucky today.

- YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

The enemy, unfazed however, shows no sign of moving, probably having heard of the various defeats other tribes have suffered at attempting to force their way through fortified bridge crossings, the ‘rain miracle’ still fresh in their collective barbarian memories.

Very well then, Rome’s greatness was not built by sitting on high hills, its armies waiting defensively for their enemies to come to them, ROME SMASH! Verenianus orders his troops forward.

And its cavalry to find a suitable fording point, which they do.

We divide our forces in two and cross the river at the fording point, the army at our right flank to provide cover to the main army which will make the bridge crossing.

The Goths decide to attack us piecemeal, and so we order our cavalry to begin the skirmish.

Meanwhile, the crossing is ordered.

While a fierce cavalry battle rages in the background, our crossing force comes under heavy attack from all sides by the Gothic horde! The Centurions have their hands busy bellowing out orders!

- Men, form ranks! Hold the Line!

- Second Century, deploy right!

- Third Century, deploy left! Go go go!

Our cavalry meanwhile batter the enemy horse into submission and retreat.

Verenianus, assessing the urgency of the situation, realizes he needs to relieve his bridge crossing, and orders the cavalry to immediately take a flanking posture, while he commands a messenger to order the second army to aid the crossing cohorts.

The enemy chieftain, however, stands between us and our army, and with no choice, we must engage him first before relieving our beleaguered army! Time is of the essence!

The army, however, under the courageous and experience leadership of their centurions, manage to break the assault by themselves and the aid of the second army.

This is just as well, as our cavalry are bogged down fighting the enemy warlord.

Still, the enemy put up fierce resistance and rout one of our cohorts.

The cavalry wheel around the enemy warlord, and fall on the backs of those Goth tribesmen still resisting!

CHAARGE! The enemy break before our relentless assault.

Ironically, while the infantry wins the day, it is the heaviest unit of our cavalry which routs before the enemy, our Numerus Sarmatorum.

Perhaps we should have cut the head off the sneak after all?

Our lines are in full advance.

The enemy Chieftain is finally engaged.

And sent at once to meet his ancestors. Warlord Viderichus, deprived of his life by better men, lies dead, his army in flight, his glory taken from him. All is as it should be.

All must die, even the veterans! Oh how you throw away a life of glory and potential good fortune by siding with the enemies of Rome! This victory could be yours also if not for your foolishness!

And so it is that the battle of Bononia comes to an end. Legate Verenianus, thrice victorious over the marauding Goths, is quickly proclaimed imperator by his men for his victory and his martial valour. He assures them however that he has no plan towards fighting the emperor, but sees them suitably rewarded for their valour.

The enemy vanquished, Verenianus retires his force to safer ground behind the safety of the Bononian fort and the Danube river.

After a hectic couple of weeks fighting the Gothic hordes, he gives his men leave, and takes to the countryside for his favoured by recently neglected sport, hunting. He feasts on wild boar that night, pleasantly conversing with his colleagues over an open fire in the forested wilderness, watered with honeyed wine, recounting the details of battles past, confident that the Gothic threat has been averted, at least for the time being. Under the stars, he has his first uninterrupted sleep for days.
    Last edited by Knonfoda; April 04, 2013 at 11:06 AM.

Two great victories, surely!

All hail Imperator Julian Caesar!!!!

Episode XXII: Aetius, Restitutor Gloriam Legiones?

On that very same night, a deep untroubled sleep is what 16 year old Aetius Flavious would, and will indeed, kill in order to achieve. In Pannonia, the Quadi have once again laid siege to the border fort of Gorsium. Leading a regional field army, now mostly pagan and worshipers of Mercury after their last engagement with the Quadi, he leads his army at the double march in the darkness of night, hoping to catch the enemy force unprepared.

Scouts from the besieged fort report their numbers are that of a usual warband, a couple of thousands, with lots of cavalry and some heavy infantry.

– Embedded Soundtrack I – Play while reading this Episode.

Our forces wait in the woods to ambush the crossing Quadi, but for whatever reason, they appear reluctant to cross the bridge. Can one really blame them?

Impatient, we order a bridge crossing, now that the enemy seem to have made a large beachhead for us to gain a foothold in. A trap perhaps?

- Forward centuries! Centre ground! Auxiliaries, on the flanks! I want an agmen quadratum with the southern face protected by the river! Skirmishers, in the middle!

The formation is quickly organised, with the enemy not attacking us or hindering our progress as we thought would be the case.

They have seemingly isolated their cavalry and their general on their right flank, far too distant from the main force for any help to be of use to them. We take advantage of this and order an attack!

As hoped, Aetius’ cavalry force drives into the enemy and rout them from the field.

We engage their general, which refuse to break, and so even Aetius commits himself to the fight.

The main warband, apparently decide to commit themselves to the fight. However brave and deprived of fear these berserkers may be, their isolated charge stands little change of punching through our lines.

Their axemen are next to test our lines.

Chieftain Aufluuihi however is in peril as his spine is brutally cleaved through from behind as a spatha buries itself deep within his back. The attack is so fierce is summons the hapless barbarian to the great ratcatcher in the sky.

His death comes just as the axemen began their advance, now demoralised at the prospect of being leaderless. This is fine though, because they are about to add life to the list of possessions they are about to lose.

- Centuries! As one! Forward advance by the standards!

We meet some token resistance, but nothing envelopment won’t take care of.

On our left flank, what was a potentially deadly situation as we are outflanked by their Alan lancers is averted as they decided instead to flee.

Our cavalry meanwhile pursue any not smart enough to run for their lives, even YOU, berserkers!

And yet again, Aetius manages to pull off a miracle, this time of his own making, from under the Quadi. Sadly, a large number of them got away in the cover of darkness, no doubt eager to return and settle the scores.

For now though, Gorsium is secure, and Aetius can now make use of a runner to quickly dispatch his orders though the battlefield.

However confident Aetius may feel over the recent victories over the Goths, Aetius does not let overconfidence get the better of him. The two remaining centuries of the Alpine legion he has with him are under strength, and his army will need to be resupplied and brought to strength if he is to fight the next Quadi warband, this time led by an experienced and ruthless Warlord.

He therefore orders the Alpine centuries merged, brought to full strength, and takes on the remains of its sister legions, the Herculiani and Joviani, also merged into one fighting unit.

He takes this army, now containing the last traces of these legions, eager for revenge and the restoration of their honour. Should he fail, the Alpini, Herculi and Joviani legions will have been forever erased from memory.

And so, the dreaded battle begins. Two titans face each other on the banks of the Danube, Aetius outnumbered by almost 600 men.

The enemy warlord, Gaiobomarus, is a veteran of many campaigns, confident in his abilities, and inspiring bravery and respect in his armies. He will not be easy to defeat. Nor will his bodyguard and armies:

Aetius' grasp of strategy however is as sharp as his tactical cunning. Finding a point in the river far downstream to the enemy's position, her orders his army to cross en mass over into Quadi territory, in a bid to attack the enemy warband from behind as it besieged the fort at Carnutum. The army is spotted however by Gaiobamarus scouts. He orders his army to fall back over the river, and lifts the siege, so as to not have his retreat cut off. Aetius, his plan undone, and now stuck on the wrong side of the river, is in a difficult position. He can either retreat the way he came, or attack the Quadi on their own land.

It is at this point that a junior centurion of Aetius’ same age serving under his command, Marcus Valerius Aquila, comes up with a daring, suicidal but potentially brilliant ruse.

- What are you suggesting Marcus? That you and your men get yourselves killed for a ruse that might not work? I will not allow this senseless waste of life!

- Listen to me Aetius! Our army is now here on the wrong side of the river, we can still salvage the situation! If you agree with my plan, you can rescue me and my men if your army is victorious.

- That’s a big if you are gambling your life on Marcus.

- It’s a risk me and my men are willing to take!

- Very well then, brief me on the plan one last time.

- As we speak, a large Vandal army roams their land, and our scouts have spotted them just northwest of our position. I could, with a small band of men, suitably dirtied and bloodied and bereft of our shields, make our way to the stone bridge at Aquincum, the safest crossing back to Roman lands and no doubt guarded by his scouts. When they intercept us and take us prisoner, I can tell them our army has met utter destruction and defeat by a large force of Vandals, and that we made our way west to as to avoid the slaughter.

- Go on.

- He will then either kill us or torture us on the spot, or save us for later, but he will no doubt be relieved our army has faced destruction and he can now march into Pannonia unopposed. This is where you spring the trap, when he marches down back to the bridge crossing, in loose marching formation, confident and free of worries, you ambush his army from the forest and destroy it while it is unfit to fight.

- Very well. Regardless of whether you succeed or not Marcus, you will be commended for your courage and tactical brilliance. And your men also. Prepare to put the plan in action before nightfall. Dismissed.

– Embedded Soundtrack II – Play while reading this Episode.

Marcus and his band of picked men spot the bridge, and the waiting Quadi army. As if fleeing, they make quickly for the safety of the bridge.

The enemy king quickly spots this decrepit band of deserters and orders them to halt, lest they be destroyed.

Marcus and his men, surrounded, are quickly interrogated, and he tells them everything. Of the Vandal ambush in the forest, of how they escaped the carnage by keeping close to the riverbank, and how they had hoped it to make it back home through what they judged to be the safer of the river passages. They plead for their lives, and promise to aid the Quadi in whatever endeavour they undertake against the Romans, their knowledge proving useful against them. Gaiobamarus, not believing his luck, takes them prisoner and makes for the bridge crossing, intent on renewing the siege of Carnutum and laying waste to the Roman countryside.

The plan works perfectly. The enemy is dispersed and in loose marching formation, as predicted by our young centurion, and better still, Warlord Gaiobamarus himself brings the vanguard!

As planned, our entire army springs up from behind the small mound, and the forests in which they were hiding, and lunges itself towards the enemy line!

Our lines, already in formation and ready for battle, advance simultaneously on the precarious Quadi line.

Their chieftain is quickly swarmed by our infantry and surrounded by our sweeping cavalry.

Despite brave efforts by the enemy faramani cavalry, the speed of our attack and the swiftness with which it fell on their line stuns them for long enough for any attempted rescue to be too late.

While one alae corners Gaiobamarus and his entourage, preventing his escape, another pursues the enemy horse.

Assailed from every side, arrows and javelins thinning their ranks and the cataphracts knocking more and more of his rear rankers down, Gaiobamarus watches in horror and unconstrained anger as his bodyguard is cut down to pieces before his very eyes.

- CURSE YOU ROMANS FOR YOUR TREACHERY! By all the Gods I swear we will have our vengeance! This trickery will not go unpunished!

The warlord fights fiercely, no longer seeking escape but simply to cut down as many as he can before he too is cut down. This he does. But soon, his turn comes too, as a legionary of the Joviani legion, as if reclaiming the lost honour of his legion, put a spear clean through the chieftain’s mouth, coming out the other side of his head. The warlord is quickly decapitated and his head put onto the spear point, the legionary waving it around victoriously as the army cheer and bellow their approval.

The battle is far from over however and our lines advance forward.

Our cavalry however, have taken to their mission with delight, routing every single unit of enemy horse that comes in contact with them.

Our infantry try their best to keep up with the retreating enemy line and the devastation our advancing cavalry vanguard is wreaking on them.

Our cavalry continue their relentless advance, routing any enemy horse that stands in its way.

Even their dreaded Sarmatian lancers are no match for us! We order yet another advance, as it seems our cavalry are going to carry the day on alone today!

Our infantry continue running, trying to keep up with our cavalry, their path paved with the grotesque spectacle of dying horses, crushed riders, and the wounded enemy horsemen, which they swiftly and unceremoniously put to death as they march forward.

Our cavalry finally begin to tire, and their charge slows. The enemy Sarmatians cover the retreat of hundreds of their comrades as our cavalry continues its advance regardless.

But finally, our assault seems to be running out of steam. Exhausted, charging uphill and under heavy fire from both the enemy horse and their intact infantry lines behind them, the attack falters.

Our infantry line ready, we order our archers forward to cover the retreat of our cavalry which is now suffering serious casualties.

The tables have quickly turned on our horsemen however, as in their retreat they are exposed to the volleys of deadly arrows the enemy unleashes on us, and our men fall in their dozens.

Only a meager number of our horsemen make it back, and Aetius recognises his fault at taking the pursuit of the enemy horse too far and endangering his own men in the process. Now, with hundreds lost, we wonders whether it was worth eliminating the enemy horse from the field.

Our bodies litter the no man’s land between both our relatively intact infantry lines.

Their horse archers begin to harass our lines, especially our left flank, so we order a shield wall formation.

But our own superior sagitarii quickly return fire and deplete their numbers to such an extent they flee the field of battle.

It is only at this moment Aetius remember why speed in his attack as of utmost importance. Almost as if by coincidence, the enemy bring forth the very man Aetius preoccupied his thoughts with, Marcus Valerius Aquila. He and his comrades are made to kneel down before the enemy, in full view of the entire Roman army, and slowly tortured with all means of knives and daggers the Barbarians have available to him. Aetius curses loudly as he sees his countrymen and trusted centurion tortured to death in front of him. The screams of the dying and tormented soldiers are agonizingly painful for our men to hear, and Aetius orders a full advance on the enemy position, in the hopes his friend and colleague has not died in vain and that a victory can still be achieved in this field of battle.

- MEN! FORWARD! Destroy the enemy! Utterly VANQUISH THEM! Show no mercy, KILL THEM ALL! Avenge your COMRADES!

Aetius’ army happily complies as it begins its slow march uphill to assault the Quadi infantry.

Our archers provide covering fire for the advancing infantry lines.

Our lines meet and steel clashes on steel and our enraged men carve their way through the enemy line, which remains demoralised with the loss of their chieftain, his head still sitting atop a spear of an advancing legionary.

The torrent of our cavalry falling on their right flank is all that is needed to finally break their spirit and make them head back the way they came.

Surrounded much like their chieftain was only moments before, they fight to the death.

And victory is ours, at the cost of almost 900 men, almost all members of our cavalry that had done so well in opening stages of the engagement. Among the dead were also Marcus Valerius Aquila, and all the brave men that accompanied him in his forlorn mission, murdered in cold blood before our own lines, but ultimately responsible for our victory and the destruction of the feared enemy warlord, Gaiobamarus.

Aetius Flavius, is now earning a reputation as the scourge of the Quadi. Defeating them in more than three separate engagements, the surviving Alpini, Herculiani and Joviani legionaries offer him praise and gratitude for restoring their honour and martial valour in the field today, rescuing them from the disgrace that had befallen them under their previous legate, Terentilius.

Aetius also makes use of a prisoner turned turncoat. Every little helps.

After paying his respects to the dead and providing them with a burial, Aetius erects a monument towards Marcus and his men in the forum of nearby Carnutum, to forever stand testament to the sacrifice they made, giving up their own lives in order to secure roman victory over the Quadi. May their memory never be forgotten. He retires to the city, mourns his friends, and turns to the Gods for inspiration and spiritual peace.

Our cavalry, being the life force of any good Roman army, are sent to Aquincum to replenish and restock. We will need them for any future confrontations with the Quadi, or anyone else for that matter.

While our troopers in Moesia follows suit.

With the Danube frontiers once again secure, the barbarian threat averted, our attention once more turns to events on the Rhine, where Marjorianus leads an increasingly diminutive army of legions and limitanei in attempting to pacify the Alemanni tribes. Thats all today folks!

EDIT: Apologies for my atrocious Latin. The title may well be grammatically incorrect, and is supposed to read ‘Aetius, restorer of the glory of the legions, for his part in leading the remaining troops of the Alpini, Herculi and Joviani legions to victory, redeeming them in the process.

Last edited by Knonfoda; April 04, 2013 at 11:10 AM.

As great as always

Thanks ImperatorCaesar and Vercingetorix.

I was wondering, is there any feedback anyone wishes to provide on the format of the AAR itself? I am experimenting with different styles and such, a little writing here, a little dialogue there, etc. Sometimes I feel though that it may be too screenshot heavy, or that I document too much of what is going on in my empire, eg fighting large rebel battles, etc. Does anyone think I should omit this or shorten the length of episodes? I also get the distinct impression I update this too often in too short spaces of time, does anyone else share this feeling? Sometimes I get an update out before anyone has even commented on the last one, etc.

Anyway, any feedback people could give me on the format and on the writing itself would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Icon7 Re: [IB:SAI AAR] Julian, the savior of Rome?

It's not important how often you post updates, I'd advise you to pm those who might like to read the update, so they can know you've posted it
    About the AAR itself: I love your style, pictures make many things very clear. It is good to know all what is happening and I particulary like those pictures from the battles and about your FM. I'd only advice you to put every picture in a spoiler, so the guys with slower connection can easily read it.

In total, a great AAR with a great rhytm of updates, I think you should go on as same as until now, just with these few changes
    After all, I want to see all your cities with a Pagan shrines, not a Christian churches, don't let me down!

I for one like your present style and presentation very much, so please, don't change it.
    As for the frequency of the updates, I like fast updates - keeps me occupied during those lonely evenings by the fire...

My silence equals approval (picture me smiling and nodding slightly while reading the newest update), since i do not want to indulge in regular euphoric messages of amazed admiration - tends to look like bootlickery after a while.

So, I'll only post if there's something i disagree about.

Or if there's a recommendation i'd like to make for future use in the AAR.
    Or, if there's an update of special magnificence - such as the hundred and eleventieth update
    Or if i've smoked to much pipe weed.
    Or if i'm drunk.
    Or if i feel the irrational urge to share something about me and sneakily use your AAR as a means to said end.

(like this post here)
    Last edited by Luxchamp; June 10, 2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: improved sharing :3
    "Siehst du in des Waldes Grün feindlicher Gewehrmaschin?"
    - Peronje

"Der NKWD in Russland, der SD im Deutschland des Dritten Reiches und alle anderen Geheimpolizeiorganisationen ähnlicher Art sind Spielwiesen für Psychopathen, für Usurpatoren illegaler Macht über Millionen.
    Dort liegen die Krebsherde der modernen Gesellschaft."

aus "Holt Hartmann vom Himmel" Motorbuch Verlag Spezial 2007

Indefinitely Banned

Great AAR. You're doing good, smashing those Germanics, and using DM's writing style, mixed with personalities for the commanders. +Rep to you, keep it up. :

Quote Originally Posted by Knonfoda View Post
    Thanks ImperatorCaesar and Vercingetorix.

I was wondering, is there any feedback anyone wishes to provide on the format of the AAR itself? I am experimenting with different styles and such, a little writing here, a little dialogue there, etc. Sometimes I feel though that it may be too screenshot heavy, or that I document too much of what is going on in my empire, eg fighting large rebel battles, etc. Does anyone think I should omit this or shorten the length of episodes? I also get the distinct impression I update this too often in too short spaces of time, does anyone else share this feeling? Sometimes I get an update out before anyone has even commented on the last one, etc.

Anyway, any feedback people could give me on the format and on the writing itself would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    In my humble opinion, at times I do find the screenies a wee bit too much. There are so many of them to look at but I guess its good in that your able to follow the battle and watch its evolution closely. Anyways, I'd say keep things going as they are. Keep documenting the smaller things like the crushing of rebellions, religous strife or diplomatic manouvering or whatever; it all adds to the immersion. Don't worry about the speed of updates, the more there is to read the better.
    'The Last Pagan Emperor'- An Invasio Barbarorum Somnium Apostatae Juliani AAR
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

'Immortal Persia' A Civilization III AAR

Prepare to imbibe the medicine of rebuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Vercingetorix King of Gauls View Post
    It's not important how often you post updates, I'd advise you to pm those who might like to read the update, so they can know you've posted it
    About the AAR itself: I love your style, pictures make many things very clear. It is good to know all what is happening and I particulary like those pictures from the battles and about your FM. I'd only advice you to put every picture in a spoiler, so the guys with slower connection can easily read it.

In total, a great AAR with a great rhytm of updates, I think you should go on as same as until now, just with these few changes
    After all, I want to see all your cities with a Pagan shrines, not a Christian churches, don't let me down!
    Thanks Vercingetorix, I might start doing that, but as I keep updates up quite frequently it may take more time than its worth to PM all those who may be interested, not to mention I reckon there are a number of 'lurkers' out there too.

The Empire is slowly becoming Pagan again. Slowly, but surely!

Quote Originally Posted by Luxchamp View Post
    I for one like your present style and presentation very much, so please, don't change it.
    As for the frequency of the updates, I like fast updates - keeps me occupied during those lonely evenings by the fire...

My silence equals approval (picture me smiling and nodding slightly while reading the newest update), since i do not want to indulge in regular euphoric messages of amazed admiration - tends to look like bootlickery after a while.

So, I'll only post if there's something i disagree about.

Or if there's a recommendation i'd like to make for future use in the AAR.
    Or, if there's an update of special magnificence - such as the hundred and eleventieth update
    Or if i've smoked to much pipe weed.
    Or if i'm drunk.
    Or if i feel the irrational urge to share something about me and sneakily use your AAR as a means to said end.

(like this post here)
    lol, thanks Luxchamp! I'll bear that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by scutarilegion View Post
    Great AAR. You're doing good, smashing those Germanics, and using DM's writing style, mixed with personalities for the commanders. +Rep to you, keep it up. :
    Yeah, I like DM's style because its concise and to the point, and my limited writing skill means that sort of style is especially suited for me, especially as I am generous with the screenshots lol. Thanks for the rep too.

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian Australis View Post
    In my humble opinion, at times I do find the screenies a wee bit too much. There are so many of them to look at but I guess its good in that your able to follow the battle and watch its evolution closely. Anyways, I'd say keep things going as they are. Keep documenting the smaller things like the crushing of rebellions, religous strife or diplomatic manouvering or whatever; it all adds to the immersion. Don't worry about the speed of updates, the more there is to read the better.
    Thanks Justinian Australis. I'm particularly happy to hear people don't seem to mind me documenting the more 'mundane' aspects of empire management. I'm still on my 4th turn of the game, not even beyond 361 A.D yet, so there is still a lot of housekeeping to do, large rebel armies to destroy, etc. I reckon in the near future, once all this is dealt with, I can concentrate on the larger problems of the empire.

As for the screenshots, yeah I too find it a bit heavy some times, I'll try and cut out unnecessary screens during battles and so forth.

Thanks for all your feedback guys. Speaking of the more 'mundane' aspects, I present to you quite a lenghty update today, The Many Perils of the Empire, focusing on rebel threats, civil war, barbarian raids, religious and social strife, and new barbarian invasions! I hope you all enjoy it!
    Last edited by Knonfoda; June 11, 2011 at 08:06 AM.