Page 2 of 117 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast

Thread: [IB:SAI AAR] Julian, The Savior Of Rome? [ FINAL UPDATE 13/06/2013 | COMPLETE ]

Default Re: [IB:SAI AAR] Julian, the savior of Rome?

Yeah, long live Paganism! Roman Empire is establishing its true religion once again!

The excited one's Avatar Senator

i hope you are as sucessesful as nero as to cracking down christains

as vercingetorix says LONG LIVE PAGANISM

p.s by the way i only see episode 1,2,3 and 5 wheres the 4 ??????? NOOOOOOOO
    Last edited by The excited one; May 23, 2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: NOOOOOOOO
    war is peace, ignorance is strength, freedom is slavery......
    (george orwell 1984)

Icon7 Re: [IB:SAI AAR] Julian, the savior of Rome?

Quote Originally Posted by The excited one View Post
    i hope you are as sucessesful as nero as to cracking down christains

as vercingetorix says LONG LIVE PAGANISM

p.s by the way i only see episode 1,2,3 and 5 wheres the 4 ??????? NOOOOOOOO
    Absolutely!

edit: Yes, where is episode IV?
    Last edited by Vercingetorix King of Gauls; May 23, 2011 at 07:53 AM.

Knonfoda's Avatar I came, I read, I wrote

Episode IIII is exactly where it should be

Perhaps this explains the confusion: (The notation of Roman numerals has varied through the centuries. Originally, it was common to use IIII to represent four, because IV represented the Roman God Jupiter, whose Latin name, IVPPITER, begins with IV.)

Seeing as Julian is a pagan and wants to reinstate paganism, it seems only wise to not offend the great God by allocating his initials to a mere number, and a low one at that!

Thanks for the comments, like I said, its only been done in maybe half or maybe even less than half the cities in the empire, because if I did them on all I would have a rebellion so massive in my hand im not sure even Julian would be able to recovere it. As it stands, a good portion of it is already going to rebel anyway. Once happyness goes up due to the hopefully increasing glories of the empire, I will get round to the other half.

how ignorant of me not noticing that there an Episole IIII there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as well as roman numerials NOOOOOOOOO i better offer myself to the transcendent One (you know what it is i assume) for sacrifices,..............
    (george orwell 1984)

Quote Originally Posted by Knonfoda View Post
    Episode IIII is exactly where it should be

Perhaps this explains the confusion: (The notation of Roman numerals has varied through the centuries. Originally, it was common to use IIII to represent four, because IV represented the Roman God Jupiter, whose Latin name, IVPPITER, begins with IV.)

Seeing as Julian is a pagan and wants to reinstate paganism, it seems only wise to not offend the great God by allocating his initials to a mere number, and a low one at that!

Thanks for the comments, like I said, its only been done in maybe half or maybe even less than half the cities in the empire, because if I did them on all I would have a rebellion so massive in my hand im not sure even Julian would be able to recovere it. As it stands, a good portion of it is already going to rebel anyway. Once happyness goes up due to the hopefully increasing glories of the empire, I will get round to the other half.
    Yes, I see it now
    Go on, this seems excellent so far

Just to add, I am currently instaling this mode

Very very interesting. This I will follow. Please continue

http://ask.fm/Bigglelito <------- Ask me somethin' dagnabbit!

how ignorant of me not noticing that there an Episole IIII there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as well as roman numerials NOOOOOOOOO i better offer myself to the transcendent One (you know what it is i assume) for sacrifices,..............
    Yes, the transcendent one will be most pleased with your sacrifice!

Quote Originally Posted by Vercingetorix King of Gauls View Post
    Yes, I see it now
    Go on, this seems excellent so far

Just to add, I am currently instaling this mode
    It's excellent. I just came from a roughly 2 year long (2 year IRL too) campaign in EB as the Romani, playing for hours a day, never skipping a battle, and conquering the entire world, picking it up every now and then when I could afford too. They are both excellent mods!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Very very interesting. This I will follow. Please continue
    Oh I shall. I will not stop until they are all DEAD! All of them!

Love the updates!

This is a great AAR!!

Icon7 Re: [IB:SAI AAR] Julian, the savior of Rome?

It's excellent. I just came from a roughly 2 year long (2 year IRL too) campaign in EB as the Romani, playing for hours a day, never skipping a battle, and conquering the entire world, picking it up every now and then when I could afford too. They are both excellent mods!

Yes, I know, I like EB too, I was writing an AAR using EB, actually I am thinking about writing it again, but I first want to try this mode
    With the Celts (Gaels) of course

Yes, the transcendent one will be most pleased with your sacrifice!
    i hope he/she does or else i will be worshipping other gods already like Sol Invictus (that god inspires christmas in Dec 24 which the day actually is the day of the solar equinox where their worshippers praise the sun actually shines upon us for another year before our impending doom without our precious sun-light) ..........

p.s christain copy-cats they try to attract converts by trying to be pagan......... how dissapointing
    (george orwell 1984)

i hope he/she does or else i will be worshipping other gods already like Sol Invictus (that god inspires christmas in Dec 24 which the day actually is the day of the solar equinox where their worshippers praise the sun actually shines upon us for another year before our impending doom without our precious sun-light) ..........

p.s christain copy-cats they try to attract converts by trying to be pagan......... how dissapointing
    lol..... sorry guys I was due to give you quite a large update last night after I finished revising, lots of battles and death and glory and blood splashed around but I ended up drinking with my housemate and discussing philosophy instead.... may give an update today at some point, but as I have my last EVER university exam today in about 3 hours the odds are I will be blind drunk in a ditch somewhere before nitghtfall....

lol..... sorry guys I was due to give you quite a large update last night after I finished revising, lots of battles and death and glory and blood splashed around but I ended up drinking with my housemate and discussing philosophy instead.... may give an update today at some point, but as I have my last EVER university exam today in about 3 hours the odds are I will be blind drunk in a ditch somewhere before nitghtfall....
    don't worry just drink as much as you can and also discussing philosophy er???? i m confused....... and also good luck at your exam mate may the gods be with you (not the christain one)
    (george orwell 1984)

Do want moar!

Can't you write it while drunk? Might be an interesting read.

don't worry just drink as much as you can and also discussing philosophy er???? i m confused....... and also good luck at your exam mate may the gods be with you (not the christain one)
    Yeah discussing philosophy on the side is a hobby of mine. And thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Do want moar!

Can't you write it while drunk? Might be an interesting read.
    How else do you think I write it? lol I'll see what I can do.
    Last edited by Knonfoda; May 25, 2011 at 05:17 AM.

Well, none of you asked for it, but here it is anyway, the promised mega large update of doom with GLORY and BATTLES and DEATH and Roman magnificence at its best!

Episode VI: Operations on the Danube (Part I)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

On the Danube, the Quadi host threathens us all with their thousands of men waiting for a chance to attack the empire. We attack them first with our Legio Palatinae Joviani, so that we may attack them on our own terms.

Battle is joined, but our generals badly outgenerals theirs. Muhahahah!

However, there is a problem. We have heard of these man beasts before, they have been writen of before. Let me check, ah yes. 'It is writen in the book of Cyril, that the BEZANS* SHALL BE HUGE! AND BLACK! And the eyes RED thereof with the BLOOD OF LIVING CREATURES! And throughout the battlefield there shall be a GREAT dismembering of PARTS! Yeah!. From what us writen it seems they are quite fierce creatures, we shall have to be careful. *Berserkers.

They also have half decent cavalry...

And archers...

Pretty, armoured horse archers! This is in stark contrast to our own, which only number three units.

We form our standard bridge formation. While historically Seniori legions belonged to the west, and Juniores to the east, given that the empire has been reunited, I have reformed them like the legions of old. Juniores, being the juniors, youngest and inexperienced recruits and such, form the first line. (like the Hastati) The Seniores, being the more seasoned and experienced, form the second line (Principes) The last line is made up of lanciarii, lightly armed legionaries which will throw their javellins over the heads of their comrades into the enemies ranks. At least, thats the plan.

The first over the bridge are the Slavic Chosen Warriors. Yes, they have been CHOSEN alright. Chosen to DIE that is!

And death is indeed what they find when death rains upon them!

As their comrades join them, more and more death is rained by our archers, lanciarii and other skirmishing units.

The bombardment and the bottleneck proves too much and the entire army routs!

My men are too eager however, and break formation and engage in single formation with the enemy, single combat against axemen such as these! Perhaps I should not have entrusted my first line with such impetuous and eager recruits.

In order to try and salvage the situation, I order my cavalry, the men being on an elevated position on their horses, to throw their javellins into the fray also.

I also order a unit of my Seniori units to join the battle, just in case the line falters. Their courage and morale and authority should make the recruits think twice about falling back.

The plan works, some semblance of an organised line is restored, and the Quadi army once again breaks and makes a run for it.

And once again, they run towards our spears!

Captain Malorix, fatally wounded by a spatha slash to the temple, is too busy feeling the rush of air to the brain to notice death approaching....

The enemy army attempts to punch its way through through sheer weight of numbers, but roman spear meets enemy face like Julian's enemies meet death in the arenas.

The bodies of the fallen clutter in the river in a grotesque spectacle of blood and bone.

We reorganise our line to better deal with whats left of the enemy, a large force still holding out on the bridge.

And their pesky archers which are constantly showering our line.

We send our fresh cavalry to deal with whats left of their cavalry on the bridge, the fighting is tough, and the enemies missiles relentless and deadly.

Suffering casualties, we are forced to pull back.

And order our infantry out of range of their archers.

The plan works, they follow us through the bridge.

Only to be assaulted by our cataphracts and massed cavalry, from all sides.

Engaged in hand to hand combat, they have little chance of victory, and are all destroyed.

The stragglers are hunted down like the dogs they are.

On a nearby bank, the enemies bodies combine by the riverside, a testament to Roman victory and martial prowess!

Victory is ours, but at the cost of nearly 500 good men.

Julius Terentilius, Comites Rei Militari Ilyiricum, the man responsible for the armies in Illyria, ponders about the coming campaign. Does he wait out the enemy by the river, where he can use the tested formation to destroy the Quadi warbands? Or does he take to the field with his army and brings the fight to the enemy? Casting cautiousness and sensibility aside, he makes his choice....

He replenishes the units which bore the brunt of the casualties, in this case the Illyrian auxiliaries, and once his army is formed...

He goes on the offensive, like the good old roman days when we did not hide behind our stone parapets and our static shield walls! We engage the enemy and fight them on their own ground!

These have good cavalry and those dreaded beserkers which we saw nothing of in the previous fight...

Battle commences in a forested valley, we take the high ground, and form two lines. Line one, made up of our heavy infantry, will hold the line so to speak.

Line two, made up of archers and lanciarri, will fire over line one and reinforce gaps where needed.

The cavalry is positioned on the flanks as usual.

The enemy warband is spotted!

And attacks us at an odd angle! Battle begins in earnest!

We position our cavalry on the flanks and order them to begin the encirlement, Alexander's hammer not yet lost on us at this age!

My line braces itself against their dreaded Berserkers!

And take their charge head on!

However, because of the odd angle they have attacked in, and by concentrating their forces in the middle, it allows us to close our lines around them!

Their lancers, despite their fierce reputation, flee before ever reaching our own lines! OH HOW THE MIGHTY FLEE!

On the right flank, our cavalry falls upon the enemy...

And carries all before them!

Surrounded on 3 sides by infantry and cavalry, the Quadi warband breaks. FEAR makes suitable residence in their hearts, and NOW THEY FLEE!

All are cut down on retreat, be them archers.

Or slavic chosen sacrifices...

Or slavic cavalry... we're having a bloodsale and all must die!

Even the might berserkes flee our massacre! Watch as they abandon all pretence of manhood and glory and honour and abandon the field and their cause with it!

Strangely enough, nothing is heard about the enemy chieftain. He has not been slain by the sword, he is still among us! Find him! Seize him!

He is found!

And our archers attack him... but he dodges and slithers his way through pointy death.

Only to be surrounded by our infantry.

''I AM A FREE MAN, IN A FREE STATE!'' he cries out, but he is neither a man nor shall his state be free, ever, when we are finished with him. My men give him the release he so desperately tries to avoid.

Captain Leutfred, brought down from his horse, dies a death of a thousand cuts as my men surround him and stab him to death. If anything, he is glorified in sharing the same illustrious fate as that of Julius Caesar himself! May that knowledge humble him even as he enters the afterlife.

With no more enemies to kill, the battle is over. With nearly 300 deaths less than holding a bridge, perhaps we should take to the field more often?

And what now, my great council of war! Do we ADVANCE on the enemy and fall on them with all our might, do we go and attack the other Quadi warbands, and deprive them of their armies and their FREEDOM? Or do we count our blessing and valiantly retreat back behind the safety of the Danube? I leave this in teh council's hands!

Last edited by Knonfoda; April 04, 2013 at 08:10 AM.

Destroy those Lazygenian dogs!

Great AAR mate

ALMOST missed the Life of Brian reference. Good on you!

Hey Knonfoda can you send your armies to the field the bridge is way too easy even i can do it at Hard level i just attract all the enemy army to the bridge and then send one or two heavy horses and infrantry to the other side of the bridge and crush them like ants......... play the field man try to be "offensive" to the babarians they will never learn unless their homes are destroyed and give the capture lands to other "babarians" like the saxons or others....... also hows your situation in the east every time i play the game the persians will attack some time in 370s.........

p.s: so what is your IB:SAI setting? is it 6 turn per year or 4 or even 12? just asking you need time to be prepared for the east.........and also better destory the celts north of britain and attack ireland they will just simply be destoryed not forming a horde........ as well as the barbers they are too quiet annoying........... ok?
    (george orwell 1984)

Damn, I got slaughtered that way, but I bet it's because Vh/Vh. Lost too many good men.

+rep.
    "We'll go to the front—and beyond it, if it'll save the galaxy. Sometimes you have to enter the darkness to save the light."