Thread: A way to 'simply' modify the range of Bow Samurai?

Brutalsubtlety's Avatar Decanus

Icon11 A way to 'simply' modify the range of Bow Samurai?

Greetings, I was wondering if anybodies previously made a pak file, or movie file? Of a clans available units?
    I wish to edit the stats of a unit.
    I have read through Agostinos tutorial on how to edit the stats of the units like upkeep, armor, attack, number of soldiers... I'm really trying to 'simply' modify the range of a given clans 'Chosokabe' Bow Samurai.
    I'd like to be able to make Bow Samurai more important giving them 10 more range than warrior monks.
    Is there an existing mod I can utilise with 'limited skills,' to achieve this end?

I'm pretty sure I can't use the open HxD or a similar programm without breaking the internet, or crashing the moon into the ocean.
    Thanks.

Default Re: A way to 'simply' modify the range of Bow Samurai?

I dont know how to make a .pack file mod sorry...but i know a alternative way to edit it u can edit it in the data file by using PackFileManager
    I use that method by changing the range of matchlock......
    First go to C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\total war shogun 2\data
    Then copy patch6 and paste it somewhere to make a backup copy incase some problems...
    Then download this >>CLICK HERE<< (This works on patch5 and patch6) after download extract it...then double click PackFileManager.exe
    Then click File>Open>Then direct it in the data folder of shogun 2 then double click it the patch6 to open it.....
    Just keep scrolling down and look for the words....that im pointing getting at...
    Note:Click left button on the keyboard when u point a collum so you wont edit a wrong collum

In projectiles_table you edit the range of all bow units...matchlock unit....
    I tried editing the European Cannon and Mangonel range but didnt work...oh well...

====================================================================
    In units_table...you can edit Turns to Build...Cost...Upkeep...Unit limit
    and you can experiment also be careful

In unit_stats_land_tables you can edit Unit Size...Accuracy...Realoding Skill...Ammo...
    Melee skill....Defence skill....Morale.....but if u want to experiment by editing
    some stuff be my guess...but i stick to be careful..

And the rest is in your hands in experimenting more.....
    I learned from...Radious..his mods are best.....
    The things i edited is the Limits of the Elite Units...the range of the matchlock....and etc....
    Like i said experiment.....just be careful and always place a backup file of patch6 so there wont be anyproblems....
    Hope this solves your question...i think...Took me half an hour to make this post
    Last edited by Apolloa; May 19, 2011 at 03:59 PM.

Apolloa that was awesome.

Please accept my heartfelt thanks.

The internet, and planet Earth's delicate ecology are safe again.
    Last edited by Brutalsubtlety; May 19, 2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: typo

You welcome....
    Last edited by Apolloa; May 20, 2011 at 05:37 AM.

There are two ranges to consider: The unit range and the range of the projectile.

I think the range of the unit should be less or equal to the range of the projectile, although I haven't tried what happens if projectile range is smaller than the range of the unit. Perhaps it is considered as overshooting and does little damage??

The unit range can be modified within units_stats_land, and the projectile in projectile_tables as Apolloa has very nicely shown in his answer above. Good luck

Icon7 Re: A way to 'simply' modify the range of Bow Samurai?

Quote Originally Posted by Seikales View Post
    There are two ranges to consider: The unit range and the range of the projectile.

I think the range of the unit should be less or equal to the range of the projectile, although I haven't tried what happens if projectile range is smaller than the range of the unit. Perhaps it is considered as overshooting and does little damage??

The unit range can be modified within units_stats_land, and the projectile in projectile_tables as Apolloa has very nicely shown in his answer above. Good luck
    Excellent advice Seikales, thanks for the post. rep+

What you could do:
    -Open latest patch file containing DB tables (it's still patch6.pack today) with PFM.
    -Select projectiles db table, right-click and select "extract selected". Make sure the file destination is your Shogun2/Data folder. There will be new DB folder created with subfolder "Projectiles_tables", and projectiles db file.
    -Same thing with unit_stats_land.
    -Select "New" in PFM File menu, creating empty, new pack file. When PFM asks which directory should the new file be relative to, select your Shogun2/data folder.
    -Choose "Add Files", or "Add directory" and select previously extracted files, or whole DB directory (if there are only those 2 files)
    -Now you can save the file in your Shogun2/Data folder.
    -select "projectiles" db table, right click, and choose "rename". Change name to "myname_projectiles", where you can enter anything else instead of "myname" (but let it be simple name, no special signs included)
    -same thing with unit_stats_land table
    -save? I find saving often a good thing
    -select your new units_stats_land table. Make sure that "Use First Column As Row Header" option is unchecked, slect all rows you don't want to change (by clicking on the empty, grey field on the left- it should highlight whole row), and delete them by pressing DEL key. Leave only those rows you want to change. In Your case: Inf_Missile_Bow_Samurai_Chosokabe
    -Now, do similiar thing with your projectiles table, but leave only row with "shogun_arrow" in first column named "Projectile ID"
    -in your projectiles table, change Projectile ID "shogun_arrow" to (let's say) "chosokabe_shogun_arrow".
    Look for "Range" column and change it to your liking. If you want those Chosokabe archers shoot further, add desired value.
    -go back to your unit_stats_land db table. Find column named "Projectile ID Ref". Your chosokabe archers now have "shogun_arrow" there, but you should change it to "chosokabe_shogun_arrow", or whatever name you gave in projectiles table.
    -Select "Choose Pack Action" then select "Change pack type" ad choose "Movie" (you can select MOD too, but then you must edit "user_script" file to activate the file)
    -save

This way Chosokabe samurai will have different bow range from any other bow unit in game. You don't have to make backups of any files, as you're not changing anything within orginal CA files and file size is minimal.
    I hope it will help.
    Godspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Seikales
    There are two ranges to consider: The unit range and the range of the projectile (...) The unit range can be modified within units_stats_land
    What is that "unit range"? Where is that in unit_stats_land? What are you talking about?
    Last edited by BullGod; May 30, 2011 at 07:27 AM.

Under the Patronage of: Ishan

pretorian's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by BullGod View Post
    What is that unit range? Where is that in unit_stats_land? What are you talking about?
    I think he is wrong...

Those data are in one place - projectiles

There is unit range and projectile

Icon7 Re: A way to 'simply' modify the range of Bow Samurai?

BullGod It's people like your good self that make twc a inclusive place, your altruistic and helpful manner is an example to us all to try harder. Cheers +rep
    I'd also like to thank pretorian. I am pretty much completely reliant on the advice of other more capable minds, thanks again for you insight guys.

Quote Originally Posted by BullGod View Post
    What you could do:
    -Open latest patch file containing DB tables (it's still patch6.pack today) with PFM.
    -Select projectiles db table, right-click and select "extract selected". Make sure the file destination is your Shogun2/Data folder. There will be new DB folder created with subfolder "Projectiles_tables", and projectiles db file.
    -Same thing with unit_stats_land.
    -Select "New" in PFM File menu, creating empty, new pack file. When PFM asks which directory should the new file be relative to, select your Shogun2/data folder.
    -Choose "Add Files", or "Add directory" and select previously extracted files, or whole DB directory (if there are only those 2 files)
    -Now you can save the file in your Shogun2/Data folder.
    -select "projectiles" db table, right click, and choose "rename". Change name to "myname_projectiles", where you can enter anything else instead of "myname" (but let it be simple name, no special signs included)
    -same thing with unit_stats_land table
    -save? I find saving often a good thing
    -select your new units_stats_land table. Make sure that "Use First Column As Row Header" option is unchecked, slect all rows you don't want to change (by clicking on the empty, grey field on the left- it should highlight whole row), and delete them by pressing DEL key. Leave only those rows you want to change. In Your case: Inf_Missile_Bow_Samurai_Chosokabe
    -Now, do similiar thing with your projectiles table, but leave only row with "shogun_arrow" in first column named "Projectile ID"
    -in your projectiles table, change Projectile ID "shogun_arrow" to (let's say) "chosokabe_shogun_arrow".
    Look for "Range" column and change it to your liking. If you want those Chosokabe archers shoot further, add desired value.
    -go back to your unit_stats_land db table. Find column named "Projectile ID Ref". Your chosokabe archers now have "shogun_arrow" there, but you should change it to "chosokabe_shogun_arrow", or whatever name you gave in projectiles table.
    -Select "Choose Pack Action" then select "Change pack type" ad choose "Movie" (you can select MOD too, but then you must edit "user_script" file to activate the file)
    -save

This way Chosokabe samurai will have different bow range from any other bow unit in game. You don't have to make backups of any files, as you're not changing anything within orginal CA files and file size is minimal.
    I hope it will help.
    Godspeed.

What is that "unit range"? Where is that in unit_stats_land? What are you talking about?

this helped me alot - THANKS

I'm really glad I could help

Under the Patronage of: Ishan

excuse me.. but i didnt found any patch5.pack nor pack6.pack in my data folder.. there are only patch.pack and patch2.pack... what should i do with this problem???
    please help!!!