Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battle for Middle Earth 2

Default Battle for middle earth II

Link
    Very interesting....i hope it is better than the original!
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

I never played "the original"
    Was it bad?

Centurion Quintus's Avatar Campidoctor

The origional was a tremendous disappointment. The scale, graphics, and gameplay were dull. Like the red-headed step child of WarCraft. I hope they improve it with the latest version.

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

I hardly doubt they will. The last one was sooo bad. Maybe if they just use a more TW style of game it would be abit more enjoyible. I'll wait till the first screenshots to pass my jugement, and even then i'd have my doubts.(see the orginal BFME for what i mean.)
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

It has come too late for me...I have grown out of fantasy now.

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

Ardeur's Avatar Chattering in Chinese

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tomyris
    Agreed. I may pick this one up a year after its release, when its gone down to the $4 bargain bin... strictly for nostalgic purposes.

The first Battle for Middle Earth was interesting, and could have been great. But it was hounded by balance issues and problems related to the fact that the different "factions" were just the same units and buildings with a different skin.

Virgil's Avatar Powered by Technicolor©

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion Quintus
    The origional was a tremendous disappointment. The scale, graphics, and gameplay were dull. Like the red-headed step child of WarCraft. I hope they improve it with the latest version.
    I have to agree. The first screenies of it promise RTW in middle earth. Then, when the original game came out, the graphics were atrocious, the scale was tiny, the game speed was soo slow and there was no variety, and to top it all off, I got a game disk with a critical missing file!!!WOOOOO!!! In the last three computer games I've gotten, I have had problems installing them. Missing files, corrupted files etc. Is it really too much to ask after paying $50 to get a working game? But I digress. Based on what the description said, its going to be an expansion pack called a sequel. I'm not going to hold my breath on this one unless them implement some serious changes...
    Patron to Shadows, The White Knight, Darkragnar, and
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia. Under the patronage of Horsearcher.

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Quote Originally Posted by 1hHoplite
    I have to agree. The first screenies of it promise RTW in middle earth. Then, when the original game came out, the graphics were atrocious, the scale was tiny, the game speed was soo slow and there was no variety, and to top it all off, I got a game disk with a critical missing file!!!WOOOOO!!! In the last three computer games I've gotten, I have had problems installing them. Missing files, corrupted files etc. Is it really too much to ask after paying $50 to get a working game? But I digress. Based on what the description said, its going to be an expansion pack called a sequel. I'm not going to hold my breath on this one unless them implement some serious changes...
    Amen to that!
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

I remember all those kiddies that were saying that RTW was going to suck and this game was going to sink it. ROFL to that.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

{nF}remix's Avatar Wii will change gaming

Thats 1 lonely troll...

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric
    I remember all those kiddies that were saying that RTW was going to suck and this game was going to sink it. ROFL to that.
    Ahh I remember being shipped out to the enemy forums to argue RTW's case against BFME. Those were fun days, before a double dose of disappointment. *evil grin*

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

ShangTang's Avatar Domesticus

Heh, what a joke.

"AVDENTES FORTVNA JUVAT"

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tomyris

All you need is the next great fantasy game to suck you right back in. Even realism done poorly can make you yearn for alternatives. BFME was not so good and I don't think I want to buy the next one.

Jopo

II is a bad name, I mean, the first one was really bad. It was so slow, I thought some aspects would be better than RTW, but it just seemed so boring, the videos and pics used to trick me out so much too. But II is a bad name, it souds like a sequal rather than an expansion (is it a sequal?). From the sounds of it, they are just doing what many BFME mods have already done, at middle earth center (the BFME version of TWC) they have some really big mods out there, that gave us elves, dwarves, handrians, corsairs etc, this "expansion" doesnt seem any better.

Thats 1 lonely troll...
    Actually, if you look closely, he is not alone, he has a goblin whipping him in the back, and a archer shooting at nothing in the front. Though, i wonder how a troll can fit on such a boat....And I hope this means that II will have a naval war fare system.

Default Comparison

BFME reminds me of the Blair Witch movie hype. They lead you on that its the real deal and you must have/watch it. Then when you do, you are ****** off for the sham they put over us all.

BFMEs claim was that all games show promotional videos showing off features that dont make it into release because of lack of time. However, in BFMEs case, just about all the features that made the game sell never actually made it into the game. Basically, the marketing team pulled a con on us.

Im not going to go into detail about what was taken out, but some of the biggest features were: RTW type campaign map, epic battles (biggest joke of the game, "battalions" could reach up to ten men), and diverse strategies (hard to implement when you can only build about 4 or 5 fighting units per race).

Anything I buy from EA will always be in the bargain bin from now on because I have lost complete faith in their credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric
    It's kind of ironic really. I used to be on a B4ME forum before this one, i heard some guys saying something about a game called Rome:Total War. I looked into it and never turned back . But i agree, those guys got what was coming
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

new BFME huh. WHo cares. I have the frist one i have to say the only good parts were when you were fighting with the fellowship. Thats when the game felt like the movie. (i dont think they could do those segments with the Rome engin could they?) The rest was the standerd RTS i was hopping for a RTW typ game but once i saw it in action i saw that wasn't the case. I dont get it when they show those big cutsence they always show thousands of troops but when they go to gameplay the most you ever see is a hundred.
    "There's Brave Men knocking at our gate, lets go kill them"

Helms deep is the best example of how sparse the units are in the game. When I play as Isengard and attack helms deep, HD looks dam near empty on the walls because of lack of pop cap. You can take saruman and his fireball and just wipe out the map on your own.

Well, this will be based on the books, not the movies, so maybe?

GORE's Avatar Decanus

has ne1 here been following Middle Earth:Total War, i kno thers an early beta out...
    Always Outnumbered...Never Outmaneuvered

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast