Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 26 ... LastLast

Thread: US Army to rearm the Hellenic Armored brigades in the next months

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

Default US Army to rearm the Hellenic Armored brigades in the next months

Until the end of 2011, the Hellenic Armed Forces will receive 400 Abrams tanks which will cover the needs of its armored brigades and will replace the aging M48 A5MOLF. In 20 June, the Joint Visual Inspection will start. Greek and American officers will inspect the M1A1 Abrams of the US Army stock and they'll choose 400 of the best of them. In addition to that, 224 M113A2, 110 M901A2 ITV, 80 (FIST-V) M981 and 57 Μ548Α1 will be transfered to the Armored and Mechanized brigades of the Hellenic Armed Forces.

The balance will be definitely shift towards the Greek army in Thrace. The aging Leopard 1s will be transfered to the Greek islands, covering the needs for their defense and rapid reaction forces. The Army of Thrace will entirely be made up of Leopard 2s, Leopard 2 HEL which are currently the most advanced tanks in Thrace and 400 M1A1 Abrams.
    Source: http://www.defencenet.gr/defence/ind...0053&Itemid=47

So, what do you guys think? How will this affect Greco-Turkish and Turkish-American relations?
    Will Turkey proceed with a similar move? Are the US trying to get closer to Greece now that the Turkish-American relations are not at their best? Or are they trying to piss off the Turkish for deciding to start building a new tank instead of buying American equipment?
    Last edited by Manuel I Komnenos; May 17, 2011 at 09:15 PM.
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917

Salem1's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: US Army to rearm the Hellenic Armored brigades in the next months

So you greeks are getting some new toys. What's supposed to be discussed about it?

Vicarius Provinciae

Is Greece paying or is this free for some crazy reason?

Babur's Avatar ز آفتاب درخشان ستاره می

Is this to deter "Turkish expansionism"?
    Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

Civitate

Why the US Army agreed to hand us several armored brigades, how will the Turkish army counter this deal, why haven't the Turks signed a similar deal etc.

Quote Originally Posted by irelandeb View Post
    Is Greece paying or is this free for some crazy reason?
    If I'm not miserably mistaken, these are for free. I think we'll only gonna pay for their technical support. I will try to clear this out immediately.
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."

Salem1's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel I Komnenos View Post
    Why the US Army agreed to hand us several armored brigades, how will the Turkish army counter this deal, why haven't the Turks signed a similar deal etc.
    Why would the turks in the first place care about countering this deal or signing a similar deal?

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by Babur View Post
    Is this to deter "Turkish expansionism"?
    No obviously its to set Greece free from its EU debt collectors.... perhaps DSK was really framed by the US in order to destroy the EURO?

Civitate

I've cleared this out, the tanks are to be given to Greece free of charge. The Greek Army sent a LoR (Letter of Request) to the US Army asking for available material and they said that they have 1000 M1A1 tanks in stock, which are available for the Greek Army to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    No obviously its to set Greece free from its EU debt collectors.... perhaps DSK was really framed by the US in order to destroy the EURO?
    Oh, come on Mathias, the economics of Greece are being discussed in 100 more threads at the same time. You gotta remember that Greece is already paying a lot to keep the M60s and M48s in fighting shape, as it is hard to find equipment for them. 400 free Abrams which will cover the Hellenic Army's needs for the next years are a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Salem1 View Post
    Why would the turks in the first place care about countering this deal or signing a similar deal?
    Their armored brigades in Thrace will be severely outnumbered and outclassed.
    Last edited by Manuel I Komnenos; May 17, 2011 at 07:08 PM.

So the only logical conclusion would be that the Greek invasion of Turkey is imminent. Right? Right?... What else those tanks could do? Right?
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

Cities: Skylines
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ities-Skylines

"We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

Really? The US has a couple Million dollar tanks lying around for Free? Gay. WTF do you guys need it anyway... tanks are useless in mountains.

HissingNewt's Avatar Vicarius

What the ? Why are we giving this stuff out for free?
    "Hullabaloo, caneck! Caneck!"

Sir Pignans's Avatar The bringer of cheese.

I've cleared this out, the tanks are to be given to Greece free of charge. The Greek Army sent a LoR (Letter of Request) to the US Army asking for available material and they said that they have 1000 M1A1 tanks in stock, which are available for the Greek Army to choose from.
    So if I send a LoR to the US army they'll send me a free tank? Teh awsome.
    90% of teens would die today if facebook was destroyed. if you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

My Political Profile.

Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

Menelik_I's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Republica de Angola, eu voltei para a sua Putaria

So the thread is about Greece being a shameless beggar asking for charity ?

Looks like this will give Greece some advantage in their dick measuring struggle with Turkey

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Pignans View Post
    And a free box of Candies.

TBH the US excess of war material is getting ridiculous, they have enough gear to arm all the countries of the world to make WW-3 ''fair'' and would still win by spamming.
    Last edited by Menelik_I; May 17, 2011 at 07:10 PM.
    So many things go wrong in life that a sense of humor, even of the macabre type, should have been standard issue.

HissingNewt's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Pignans View Post
    Yeah, apparently we just hand this out if you ask nicely.
    "Hullabaloo, caneck! Caneck!"

Or you are a charity case. How insulted Germany must feel now.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Menelik_I View Post
    So the thread is about Greece being a shameless beggar asking for charity ?

Looks like this will give Greece some advantage in their dick measuring struggle with Turkey
    Lol. Of course not. During the Cold War, the Greek and Turkish military had received plenty of military help from the US, free of charge. We are allies no..?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkLordSeth View Post
    So the only logical conclusion would be that the Greek invasion of Turkey is imminent. Right? Right?... What else those tanks could do? Right?
    Hey, aren't you guys building a new tank, named Altay? Fortunately, we were quicker than you. Before this new design gets out of the Turkish factories, our free American weapons will retake Constantinople.
    Last edited by Manuel I Komnenos; May 17, 2011 at 07:14 PM.

Menelik_I's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Republica de Angola, eu voltei para a sua Putaria

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    Or you are a charity case. How insulted Germany must feel now.
    Like a woman who gave you everything just to find out you slept with another ... Greece, why Greece
    So many things go wrong in life that a sense of humor, even of the macabre type, should have been standard issue.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Menelik_I View Post
    Like a woman who gave you everything just to find out you slept with another ... Greece, why Greece

Vicarius Provinciae

Lol. Of course not. During the Cold War, the Greek and Turkish military had received plenty of military help from the US, free of charge. We are allies no..?
    You were allies and Truman was building allegiance against the Eastern bloc. It's what got you into NATO. But now there are no threats.

Oh and title is wrong. We are not rearming Greece, just arming her. She didnt have a military before. Now she does.... ahahahah Im kidding sorry guys I love the Greeks.

Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 26 ... LastLast