Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody going to Gettysburg???

Default Anybody going to Gettysburg???

Hey everyone its been a while since I've posted but I've been on almost every other day checking for updates. I was just wondering if anyone is going to the Gettysburg Re-enactment this year? I'll be there a friend moved up to York,PA and its only 20-30 minutes away. So I'm gonna bunk at his place and we are gonna hang out and go to both Sat. and Sun. events. I'm freaking excited!!!! Also can't wait for the Gettysburg special on History channel.

Wess_Hudson's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Anybody going to Gettysburg???

I would love to go there sometime.

Got some friends in NY and they want to go too.
    Unfortunately I can't make it this year.

Maybee in the next years and I'm gonna make a little movie. From Munich to Gettysburg

I live near Gettysburg but I doubt I will actually get a chance to go. It is always a mess traffic wise for the reenactments and you need to get tickets to the event in advance to gain entrance to the battlefield on those days. Besides the fact I don't even own a car anymore. Gettysburg is still laid out like a small town and the annual reenactment brings in thousands of people every year. It is common for people to actually run out of gas while waiting in traffic trying to get close to the battlefields which causes even bigger headaches for traffic. I recommend getting your tickets as soon as possible, booking a hotel right away, and coming up ahead of time to beat most of the traffic. Making it a week long vacation is not a bad idea. Then be prepared to walk several miles from the hotel each day getting to the various battlefields to see the reenactments. It is a wonderful thing to see at least once in your life and I highly recommend it. Just remember that a little pre-planning goes a long way.

An open mind is like a fortress, with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

thanks for the heads up, sounds like its gonna be fun traffic wise lol. I'll be staying with a friend that lives in York.

Yeah, traffic will be by far the biggest headache. Small town with small 2 lane roads trying to handle the traffic of a major event. I would count on 3-4 hours of traffic if you plan on driving in from York each day. It's not always like that and you can get lucky on occasion and get right into the battlefields but I wouldn't count on it. Also I would highly recommend you eat at least once at the Dobbin House Tavern. No trip to Gettysburg is complete without it. Period restaurant right down to the seating, lighting, staff, and menu. Excellent food prepared the old way. You will need reservations and expect to spend about $25 per person but it is worth it. Make sure to eat in the dining area, not the tavern downstairs. The tavern only offers a limited menu of some sandwiches and stuff. http://www.dobbinhouse.com/

An open mind is like a fortress, with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

the only thing i ever went to was one for a fake battle.....the confederates blew all those poor union troops away....they didnt stand a chance!
    respect the melon!

YATS name:Aulus Claudius Ambustus
    Class: Patrician

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

I've been to Gettysburg before, twas fun. I'm planning on waiting for 2013 though, going for the big 150.
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

well just got home a couple of hours ago. I went to the reenactment on sunday, and right afterwards me and my friend drove around the actual battlefield and stopped and took some pictures at little round top. I'll post a link to my pics in a little bit as soon as they load up on facebook.

here is a link to my facebook album for my trip
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2&l=ac4709a16e

enjoyed your photos

thanks wish I took more, but I was more amazed that I was actually there and didn't think much of taking pics. I did get vid....

Was there too, was a nice reenactment this year, definitely more people showed up this year than last.
    Saw new parts of the field I missed last year, then headed down and saw Antietam too, since it was only an hour southwest. If you have time, you will definitely want to see that field too. Antietam was basically the opposite of Gettysburg, with the union doing all the attacking.

I plan on going back to the 150th. One of the fellas in the 2nd S.C. String Band said it will be a ton bigger than this year.

I think that only the re-enacttors get the best seats in the house

I wonder how many re-enactors will go the Gettysburg 2013. They already have the record of most people, some years ago. Won't be surprised if they break the record.

So why did you take a photo of a No parking sign?
    For King, Country, and lots of lovely money.

on the 200th waterloo anerversary they are supost to have more than 10,000 people there and they want it to be the bigest renactment.

jackwei's Avatar Primicerius

Battle of Antietam next year will probably be a very good renactment too after all the battle on September 17, 1862 at Antietam is probably the single most bloodiest day in American history with over 23,000+ casualties too.

Quote Originally Posted by Londnred View Post
    So why did you take a photo of a No parking sign?
    lol camera took a while to take the shot and thats what I got lol.....

here is a little vid I made... I know the quality not that great but enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIwqY...el_video_title

I already drive down there from Michigan at least 3 times a year for reenacting, and to clean our units monument. I know ill be there for the 150th.

Dear Dragonsfire,

I'll go if I wanted to, but I live 8800 miles away from Gettysburg.
    Hint: I'm somewhere in the Pacific.

Your Pacific Friend,
    HisAwesomeness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast