Thread: removing smoke from fire arrows

Default removing smoke from fire arrows

Hey I was just wondering if its possible to remove the smoke created by fire arrows. The reason I ask is that for some reason they cause me a great deal of lag, yet other smoke sources do not.

for example, gunfire and the smoke from burning structures/ships is fien but the smoke trails from fire arrows (on masse) brings my 460 gtx to its knees (on high).

I know I can just turn particles down to mdeium but this removes the smoke from gunfire which is a terrible compromise.

so, is it possible to remove the smoke from fire arrows on high particle settings, while leaving the smoke from gusn and burning buildings intact?

its also a realism issue... I have seen real fire arrows.. they have no space shuttle like rocket exhaust..

if so a quick "how to" would be appreciated, appropriate tables etc. I can meander my way though making a pack for myself with the PFM.

Default Re: removing smoke from fire arrows

Short answer, yes.

If you open the projectiles_tables using FPM and look at the fire arrow Projectiles IDs, the third to last column (marked as unknown) has the value "fire_arrow_trail" written in.

You simply need to replace the "fire_arrow_trail" with "none" and then save.

Now the long fire and smoke trail will be removed and leave just a tiny (and more realistic) flame behind the arrow.

It is possible to remove this as well but then the fire arrow looks exactly like an ordinary arrow which isn't right.

Have a go yourself just for the experience but if you have trouble then I uploaded the finished pack file for you here: Attachment 162425

Hope it improves your FPS.

Regards, Ihre Ausfuhrung

Hi, regarding flames and fires, building fires also generate some heavy lag. How does one remove or reduce this effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Ihre Ausführung View Post
    Short answer, yes.

If you open the projectiles_tables using FPM and look at the fire arrow Projectiles IDs, the third to last column (marked as unknown) has the value "fire_arrow_trail" written in.

You simply need to replace the "fire_arrow_trail" with "none" and then save.

Now the long fire and smoke trail will be removed and leave just a tiny (and more realistic) flame behind the arrow.

It is possible to remove this as well but then the fire arrow looks exactly like an ordinary arrow which isn't right.

Have a go yourself just for the experience but if you have trouble then I uploaded the finished pack file for you here: Attachment 162425

Hope it improves your FPS.

Regards, Ihre Ausfuhrung
    you earned yourself some rep mah friend.

Hi, regarding flames and fires, building fires also generate some heavy lag. How does one remove or reduce this effect?
    well, I guess the other way around would be to throw particle settings on medium and if possible force muskets to create their smoke on firing if thats possible as well. that way you could have no pillars of black smoke but still have basic fire effects + musket smoke instead of removing everything.
    Last edited by Feldspar; May 16, 2011 at 04:26 AM.

No worries Feldspar, I've decided to use the mod myself as like you said the fire arrows are unrealistic otherwise and it looks way better.

Rep for coming up with the idea.