Thread: The Black Plague?

jackwei's Avatar Primicerius

Default The Black Plague?

Do you think the Black plague will prehaps be a major event or have a very good part in the game, which will spread several populations of Europe i think this will be cool and just imagine what a challenge it wiil be to keep ur people intact when the plague is out and our armies too just think how hard it will be to build up after the plague has gone. would be good if u could close some of your trading ports so other plagues doesn't reach ur land too for an example if ur an Island Like England etc.

Ringeck's Avatar Lauded by his conquests

The Black Plague certainly influenced the economies of Europe and the Middle East greatly, something that affected tax revenues and "state" income greatly - fewer people meant more demand for their labour, which meant you did not just get fewer subjects to tax, you had to pay them more for their services as well.

Some small areas might be able to cordon off the plague, as Milan and some Flemish cities succesfully did, did but most larger empires would be helpless. That being said, the polish lands were not particulary harshly struck by the plague, despite their central position and large, open borders.

yap, me too, I would like to see BP as a MAJOR event! it was a major event after all. two thirds of population (in some countries) died of it.... but I pretty sure CA will include it

It would be a pretty absurd medieval game if they did not.

Valentin the II's Avatar Primicerius

Well last time (in MTW for those who dont get it) it wasnt important at all.
    I didnt iven notice it .
    Born to be wild - live to outgrow it (Lao Tzu)
    Someday you will die and somehow something's going to steal your carbon
    In contrast to the efforts of tiny Israel to make contributions to the world so as to better mankind, one has to ask what have those who have strived to eliminate Israel from the face of the earth done other than to create hate and bloodshed.

Well it did Kill something like a sixth of the population.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Not sure, but if there is no Black Death, the game surely would loss some colour... as Black Death was one of most important event during Medieval.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Avgvstvs Octavian
    Well it did Kill something like a sixth of the population.
    A third, actually. And it really didn't have that much effect in MTW (that I saw), other than maybe reduced income for a while.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

jackwei's Avatar Primicerius

well prehaps this time more people should die even the armies too when some soldiers should die so at the end of it every faction has gone slightly weaker just in reality this was the worst plague we have experienced in Europe in that time. Prehaps also it would be good time for peace too in the game since most people will be dyning etc maybe this should just give some cities a population shortage for the time being until it is over.

Ghoulem's Avatar Biarchus

I wouldn't want a major focus on the black plague. If I wanted to fiddle with sickness and death I'd join a cult.
    And after all it's not Pest Controll II we're waiting for.

This is exactly how much the black plague should be represented in the game:
    Year Something-Something: Black Plague appears in Europe, a new unit is now available for recruitment...
    Black Plague Spearmen: Frighten nearby enemy infantry.
    Muhaha

GambleFish's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulem
    I wouldn't want a major focus on the black plague. If I wanted to fiddle with sickness and death I'd join a cult.
    And after all it's not Pest Controll II we're waiting for.

This is exactly how much the black plague should be represented in the game:
    Year Something-Something: Black Plague appears in Europe, a new unit is now available for recruitment...
    Black Plague Spearmen: Frighten nearby enemy infantry.
    If you wanted to fiddle in warfare or startegy you'd join the army, yet you buy a strategy game.

The Black plague was one of the most important events in European history... when 1/3 the population of Europe is killed, I would call it more than a joke. If small plagues in RTW can dominate cities, then the BP should be a nation/continent wide plague that kills armies and citizens. If the bird flu spread accross te world and killed even 1/6 the population, I think you'd notice. A billion people gone... 1/3 of Europe is gone and you want "plague spearmen."
    The fail whale.

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
    ██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
    ████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

Quote Originally Posted by therussian
    A third, actually. And it really didn't have that much effect in MTW (that I saw), other than maybe reduced income for a while.
    The amount that died varied enormously from area to area. We're unlikely to ever know how many. Estimates range from 1/10 to 1/2 even in limited geographical regions with good sources and many research projects on the subject, combining archaeology and history to piece together a picture. The worst estimates go up to 2/3, but that is unlikely except in some smaller towns and such.

I hope its in.
    It would crtainly be oth annoying and amusing!
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

"attack the argument, not the person saying it" -lee1026
    Sig by Manji

Ghoulem's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Al'Thor
    If you wanted to fiddle in warfare or startegy you'd join the army, yet you buy a strategy game.
    I find it much easier to fiddle with warfare and strategy in a game than to throw away my life with physical pain and discomfort.
    I don't see where the black plague fits in with a strategy game if you don't have any options on how to handle it other than moving your troops and agents.

Quote Originally Posted by Al'Thor
    The Black plague was one of the most important events in European history... when 1/3 the population of Europe is killed, I would call it more than a joke. If small plagues in RTW can dominate cities, then the BP should be a nation/continent wide plague that kills armies and citizens. If the bird flu spread accross te world and killed even 1/6 the population, I think you'd notice. A billion people gone... 1/3 of Europe is gone and you want "plague spearmen."
    If a billion people is gone due to bird flu I want Epidemic Rifle Infantry.

So if they include the black plague they should also include smallpox, measles and why not throw in rabies if your soldiers get attacked by a wardog too? I sure do hope they include downs-syndrome for the family members.

I'm not anti-black plague, I just think it shouldn't play a big part of the game even though it "changed the course of history for ever". Sorry if you failed to see that I was exaggerating my point, but plague isn't all that fun. And please don't give me any of that 1/3 of the population died.. PLAGUE ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE FUN-pretentious crap.
    It's a strategy game, if they include the plague, they should also include the option to isolate people, stop trade, and generally give you more options on how to deal with it. But as for how the plague worked in RTW and BI it really doesn't matter how many cities has the plague or if 1/3 of the population dies, it just isn't very fun, and there is no choices to be made nor is it any entertaining!
    Muhaha