Thread: Historical events on Campaign map

Default Historical events on Campaign map

Just thinking on how I'm going to make the campaign play as realistic as possible during the Persian invasion so I'm just wondering if that's going to be posible. For starters, the first intial invasion would happen in 490BC, during Darius reign, where maybe 2 or 3 full stacks would land out on a specially designed (maybe the same one which would be used in the historical battle) battleground in Marathorn. If you're not playing Athens or Plateans (can we even play them? (Plateans), The AI army of the two polies would quickly crush the one persian Stack with really few casuties ,resulting in a heroic battle (which would make two littles swords appear on the ground, citing "famous battle :490BC:Commander Miltiades defeated Darius: Maratorn "or something like that. The other 2 stacks would head in either directions north and south so the rest of Helles can have a piece if the pie. Of course, if you're Athens, you can have the task of dealing with the first stack which would comprised of 20 240 units full of immortals (unrealistic, but to make the game a little harder). The first invasion would be a piece of cake to repelled.

Course the second (if you don't decide to get rid of Persians during the ten years of 'rest' first then yeah, they'll be one but this time led by Xerxes, Mardonias, Hydrantes, Orontes and a few other generals who would command more than enough stacks to wipe all of Hellas out if the AI were left in control in the defense of Hellas. in 480BC, a force from almost all the city-states, including Leonidas and the famed 300 would move in to intercept the persians at Thermopylae and so forth. You get the idea.

What about it, is it even possible, or was it done already?
    Last edited by Gunno_Desk; March 07, 2006 at 09:45 PM.
    "The Age Of Roma Shall End, The Age Of Hellas Shall Rise Again"

"Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obident to their Laws we lie"
    -Monument dedicated to the 300 Spartans and 700 Thespians who fell to the last man defending the pass at Thermopylae

We are planning (by using scripts) to have Persian armies appear before 490 and 480 somewhere in Anatolia - that you will have to march with them to Greece, and they will be led by historical commanders. But we are not planning to make anything with Greeks to avoid that invasion.
    Plataia is a city that belongs in the start to Athenian faction adn they will have a unique hoplite.

Great!! thanks for the answer
    but when your're playing as the greek cities (any polies), would they be allied or would they be still beating the blood crap off each other? And also, supposed ur playing as syracuse and got basically no influence on the invasion, what would become of Hellas; a persian province, a free one, or would it be completely random. I'm also wondering how you're going to implement the peloponesion war. Obviously, just starving the Athenians out, or beating the Spartans back to lakadamon, or being an ally and side with either the peloponesian league or Attica, or remaining neutral and watch he action roll would be a bit 'dull'

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just so anxious about The only Hellenic mod out there and wish it all the best (I'm still griefing for the loss of AOH).
    Last edited by Gunno_Desk; March 07, 2006 at 09:45 PM.

"Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obident to their Laws we lie"
    -Monument dedicated to the 300 Spartans and 700 Thespians who fell to the last man defending the pass at Thermopylae

the alliances of all the factions will be set according to realism....i think that when the mod starts (514) didnt even exist the peloponnesian alliance nor any fixed alliance between athenians and ionians

playing with syracuse will need to face similar invasion by carthaginians....and spartans will be seriously troubled by a deadly earthquake followed by a revolt in messenia (given that eventually we will have those scripts)

about peloponnesian war i dont understand what u mean....
    ...but innocence was lost long ago

I meant that Spatans won the war by just starving the Athenians inside their wall when they cut off their supply line from the sea by capturing an Athenian fleet. After a while, they surrender cause of starvation. Spartans didn't seige the city and take their walls, which they would have easily had done if they had seige engines. But in the game, u can't starve them (with enjoyment) out so would it be just like one league vs another or something like that.

Also, would Pericles be a general, cause he was just a polical leader so having him lead the Athenians in battle would be a bit weird no? I would have the plague hit Athens and along with a handfull of population, Pericles along with them to reflect how he actually died.

And if u do ABSOLUTELY nothing during the persian invasion, would Hellas fall to Persia or would the AI be able to repel the invasion by themselves? Again, sorry for all the questions :sweatingb
    Last edited by Gunno_Desk; March 07, 2006 at 09:46 PM.

about "leauges" : such big leagues of greek states which reflected the hegemony of a strong faction is difficult to simulate with an alliance.....moreover too many of the important cities cannot be dispayed as factions in the game so they are "rebels"....that means the player should simple conquer the cities to establish his hegemony over the other greeks...thats all

about peloponnesian war : those events occured in the end of our mods timeframe
    that means its up to the player what will do.....maybe we could script something (if we use any scripts) with war declared between athens and sparta if they are still alive in the game....
    ...but innocence was lost long ago

And about Pericles, besides being a political leader he was also a general (as was the custom for political leaders in those times), and led several military expeditions in his time. He was particularly famous for his naval campaigns, during which he projected Athenian authority as far as the Black Sea, conquering hostile cities, fortifying Athenian settlements and punishing rebellious members of the Delian League, all with minimal Athenian casualties. You can read Plutarch's 'Life of Pericles' for more details.

Thanks for all the answers guys. This would turn out to be the best mod EVER!!!!

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

*smiles* glad u think so, we will do our best to match everyones hopes
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

I'm counting on that, my friend Thanks for making up this AWESOME mod!!!! I'm going to read more about the Greeks now..... :sweatingb