Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BETA comments

Afraid not Kscott, though i doubt the bugs will elude Spurius and nero for long. Glad too see you popped in though

A$$A$$IN's Avatar Civis

Well...this mod was awsome for three turns at least The custom battles are still really fun though, and I cant wait to be able to play out the campaign.

Default possible bug

ctd when I attack some rebel towns in rise of persia mode

Quote Originally Posted by A$$A$$IN
    Well...this mod was awsome for three turns at least The custom battles are still really fun though, and I cant wait to be able to play out the campaign.
    Wow, are you actually able to play a custom game? See my message above.
    I would like some feedback. Maybe my installation is bad.

YT, Scorpion

Apparently besides the animations that were tossed in at the last minute which is never a good plan, there appears to be something wrong with one of the unit files that has parts missing or damaged.

So it's not exactly a map problem, I'm afraid. Those I can fix easily. All the unit code and their subparts have to be compared with previous versions that worked OK. Real fix prolly take a few days, meaning 'there goes my weekend'.

I'm betting on a corrupted general. It's always generals.

I think campaign CTD's are being caused by the slave reference in the descr_regions.txt. From my experience this will always cause a ctd, when assaulting settlements, or if rebels spawn in a region.

Locus_Aestii
    Vicus_Aestii
    slave <------------------------
    Brigantes
    58 177 95
    dogs, amber

it should be replaced with a faction name. like this

Britannia_Inferior
    Eburacum
    britons
    Brigantes
    232 41 198
    slaves, lead, dogs, pigs

Best Regards.

Naturally that was not the idea, although it's not the cause of our problems, we'll change that to the intended version too.

We always use slaves when moving maps about in 1.2 - you don't want non-existing factions there and slaves are always in the game. It was the intention to add the final factions in this version, but that one needed some other cleaning first. In 1.6 it does not accept slaves as default faction btw, and suggests you change it to huns (and Britons as rebels), which is not so good actually if they all become hun settlements - if a town rebels and secedes to huns (goes for any hording faction btw) while they are still hording you get the 'mysterious' CA CTD btw. Hope they read this

Anyway, we'll change it of course, but it alas is not directly related to our current problem - you can change anything there into any existing faction you like and the results are the same , but thanks anyway.

The current problem is not as much a ctd as an infinite loop, and we have a clear candidate for that, so we hope a more definitive and decisive patch can go out tonight, even.

SARMATIAN LEADER's Avatar Biarchus

the whole project is good but the beta,isn't a beta at all it is too carelessly released,i think you shouldn't release it yet,i prefer to wait and play the complete version of the mod,but the map is very nice good work there

-Kossovo is Serbia- -Macedonia is Greek-

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his. ~George Patton

/\

Well first off, these guys are providing a nice mod for you to play for free and not asking even a thanks in return. The least you could do is not say anything if you are not willing to engage in constructive critisism. Furthermore, a Beta is a Beta.

I've been involved in Betas that have literally crashed my system by corrupting root files that I had to wipe my entire hard drive and reinstal windows to fix the problem - thats part of the package when you "sign up" to take part in any Beta. I don't think anyone here wanted ROP to crash soon into the game... but reminding us of something we all know anyway doesn't help the people responsible for this mod fix it and make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    Hi,
    I downloaded and installed patch as directed. Tried several custom battles with the same result. Troops now move in formation and so on, but after only a short while, the battle CTD. In one battle it lasted long enough for my archers to open fire, but the actual armies never got within striking distance. I hope that we can get this thing working as I love the idea behind the mod.

YT,
    Scorpion
    Same problem here.
    How do you people actually play custom battles right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Vash_the_stampede
    Same problem here.
    How do you people actually play custom battles right now?
    I'm afraid it's quite impossible. The upcoming patch will fix the formations, and hopefully the CTD too
    Proud member of Rise of Persia
    ROP Faction Preview: Thrakian Bessoi
    ROP Faction Preview: Persia

Under the honourable and illuminating patronage of Perikles , reputable son of imb39 in the house of Wilpuri

ehem i didn't said that the project isn't good but i'd prefer not to release a beta and just play the full mod!of course we thank the guys for this great mod
    Last edited by SARMATIAN LEADER; March 04, 2006 at 02:43 PM.

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his. ~George Patton

dont worry sarmatian leader, we respect your right to criticise and your opinion. But the idea of releasing a beta (in my opinion) could hopefully attract more members for the team. and of course let everyone have a taste of our efforts

A$$A$$IN's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by SARMATIAN LEADER
    ehem i didn't said that the project is good but i'd prefer not to release a beta and just play the full mod!of course we thank the guys for this great mod
    Man, you dont have to play it if you dont like betas...

Indeed, it's totally up to you. We'd rather release something bug-free too, but unfortunately, we didn't succeed but we're working hard on fixing all issues reported on all forums on which we've announced the beta, doesn't matter how minor, or major in this case, they are. And of course we're more careful with beta testing now
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez

what's your problem guys in here,dammit i have the right to criticise what's the problem with that (i am just saying that all efforts should be concetrated on the release of the full version of the mod and not with the release of the beta,a beta always when released is doing harm to the mod cause everybody's concern it has to do with the beta not with mod itself)in order to keep the interest of the members high with your mod,for me you should do this or the mod will lose its dynamic start!(i can't stand someguys here they always want to cause problems)DO WE HAVE TO APOLOGIZE ALL THE ABOUT OUR OPINION IN TWC??

We fully understand your stance sarmatian leader and fully respect it. But we realise the need to make a beta to attract more fans and keep the ones we already have. A working beta (soon people!) also confirms the status of a mod as serious business. Note i realise Hegemonia are incredibly serious without a beta
    Last edited by rez; March 04, 2006 at 03:52 PM.

thanks rez,there is a man that understands that my opinion is only to help ROP and not make fun of it thanks man!thanks for the understanding!!

no problemo

i wouldnt be too harsh on the other guys, i think they were just trying to defend RoP and our work because they did not realise you appreciate it as much as them

i fully understand them from your point of view but it is totally different,i am criticising the mod with good will only!anyway looking forward to your completion of your mod keep up the good work

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast