Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BETA comments

Default BETA comments

Started off playing with Athens. Map and all of that is looking slick, can't wait until it is done. I experiences a crash after turn 4 when I was seiging Larissa, so I haven't tried any battles or anything other than that. I think Athens is well balanced in the beginning where you really need to plan ahead where you are going to spend your money.

EDIT: yep can't get passed winter 558 B.C. as Athens... will play around with it a bit more to see if its maybe a problem with me seiging Larissa or something like that
    Last edited by Aismov; March 01, 2006 at 04:26 PM.

Same here with the Kennetic empire (I think)
    I am on fire, but an extinguisher is not required.

Seems that the game is crashing in 558 during the turn of the Lydians.

Yep... tried it for a 2nd time at it is certainly crashing during the Lydian turn.

EDIT: tried now playing as Greater Greece (Taras) and the same thing - crash on winter 558 turn... this time though during Sparta's turn.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Well, I tried a few custom battles, and they really need to be improved. The unit pathfinding has somehow become incredibly wacky.

Hi,

I also CTD at winter of 558. Tried Athens and Egyptians. I did have a battle with my fellow Greek neighbors (the guys from Sparta) who besieged Athens. The battle was pretty wild. Bad pathfinding, and no one kept formation. Also troops can't be recruited at any Greek cities. I believe that the "Greek" hidden resource is missing. Hope these things get patched quick so we can proceed to do a little more Beta testing.

YT,
    Scorpion

quote everything...

In the campaign map folder there is a copy of desc_strat text also. I played with this, and passed the accursed winter, but the factions on the map are all messed up. Put the opiginal back in, and enabled Lydia. Started campaign with Lydia and did absolutely nothing with them (building, moves, etc.), and still CTD at the same place.

I like the timeframe if this mod a lot, but in my first short campaigns with the Hellens, I have to say this mod ANNOYS me.
    Reasons:
    1. As soon as I tell my units to move, they totally FREAK out. They lose any form of coherence, start sprinting along the map, often even run out of the battlefield and are thus out of the battle. I mean this is the 100 percent killer of ANY hoplite tactic.
    2. Again in the hellenic campaign, the Spartans as enemies don't seem to move. When an enemy army of them attacks mine, they just stand there, not doing anything, although the general gives orders and the unit info says "marching". Again, more than fun killing.

I have to try out some of the eastern factions later, but so far, I have to say this beta totally sucks.

Edit: Now that I have tried out some other factions, it seems like the whole Beta is messed up.
    Is it just me or are the units really unable to normally move across the battlefield?
    Last edited by Vash_the_stampede; March 02, 2006 at 10:08 AM.

This is odd, the old versions of the beta had no ai problems like this... and the map ctd seems to be the same one we had last time apparently. looks like its custom battles until we can figure it out

@vash the stampede
    1) I don't quite understand this. You mean your units start routing? And as which faction are you playing. We don't have a faction called Hellens.

2) I don't understand this either. Hellenic Campaign? You mean the Rise of Persia campaign? We'll look into the problem, but this one seems to be an AI problem from RTW.
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez

Quote Originally Posted by Nero666
    @vash the stampede
    1) I don't quite understand this. You mean your units start routing? And as which faction are you playing. We don't have a faction called Hellens.

2) I don't understand this either. Hellenic Campaign? You mean the Rise of Persia campaign? We'll look into the problem, but this one seems to be an AI problem from RTW.
    Ok, I admit I didn't formulate my post well.
    With Hellenic Campaign, I meant I was playing Athens one time and one time Sparta.
    I have a clean RTW installation +patches (though I'll reinstall tomorrow, to check if fortune's playing tricks on me).
    My problem is quite simple yet disturbing:
    As soon as I order my units to move to a certain point in a battle, they totally freak out. Either they run into a totally WRONG direction or their formation dissolves (it actually "explodes", the men run away from each other in random directions) and they run around the battlefield uncontrollably.
    Furthermode, the AI is unable to move an inch as long as it's NOT being attacken in melee or with ranged weapons.
    These problems occured here with all factions and against all factions, but as I said before, I shall do a clean reinstall of the while thing tomorrow.

Kullervo's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Vash_the_stampede
    Ok, I admit I didn't formulate my post well.
    With Hellenic Campaign, I meant I was playing Athens one time and one time Sparta.
    I have a clean RTW installation +patches (though I'll reinstall tomorrow, to check if fortune's playing tricks on me).
    My problem is quite simple yet disturbing:
    As soon as I order my units to move to a certain point in a battle, they totally freak out. Either they run into a totally WRONG direction or their formation dissolves (it actually "explodes", the men run away from each other in random directions) and they run around the battlefield uncontrollably.
    Furthermode, the AI is unable to move an inch as long as it's NOT being attacken in melee or with ranged weapons.
    These problems occured here with all factions and against all factions, but as I said before, I shall do a clean reinstall of the while thing tomorrow.
    I suffer from the same thing...
    In our hearts was a dark night, a thousands pains,
    but one thought proud, holy:
    We shall rise as the revenge of Kullervo,
    it is sweet to face the fates of war.

Ok not to worry, I've discovered the problem. I accidently used SigniferOne's 1.5 animations, instead of his 1.2 animations. I corrected it now, and the units no longer walk around like chickens without heads. The upcoming patch wil fix this problem.
    Proud member of Rise of Persia
    ROP Faction Preview: Thrakian Bessoi
    ROP Faction Preview: Persia

Under the honourable and illuminating patronage of Perikles , reputable son of imb39 in the house of Wilpuri

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Sorry Team, bad news here as well I`m afraid!

I played 3 factions and in all 3 the game crashes after the fourth turn. Thought I was low on memory so reclaimed more RAM using System Mechanic 6. This has speeded things up a lot but the game still does the same thing. Hope you can solve the problem as I am keen to carry on testing.

shadepanther's Avatar Senator

Yeah I got the crash on the fourth turn aswell.

Titus's Avatar Ordinarius

I get the same problem with the units, they dont march rite and they run around the battle field. What patchis comeing out for rise of persia?

We have the patch already and the AI problem is apparently fixed (hurrah for Spurius/nero the techno masters)

Im told the map problem is extremely hard to trace - spurius knows the real details - so the campaign wont work yet. BUT now custom battles should work fine and dandy

its available for download here - but you must read the instructions beforehand

http://www.riseofpersia.com/forums/i...t=0&#entry1925

Hi,
    I downloaded and installed patch as directed. Tried several custom battles with the same result. Troops now move in formation and so on, but after only a short while, the battle CTD. In one battle it lasted long enough for my archers to open fire, but the actual armies never got within striking distance. I hope that we can get this thing working as I love the idea behind the mod.

YT,
    Scorpion

I havent been able to play it yet so i can't comment. And even if i could im useless with bugs. Im sure Spurius or Nero can iron it out, i believe it was an animations problem but im just a historian

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

So no workable camp map?

Guess Ill hold out on giving it a try..

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast