Thread: Historically correct

Legione's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Historically correct

I'm just curious here, how historically accurate is this mod? Is it aimed more towards historical accuracy or gameplay or both? Like the hypaspist, Krypteria, athenian marine archers, what are those units based off? Anyone who would help me with this is greatly appreciated. thanks

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Every man is his own ancestor, and every man is his own heir. He devises his own future, and he inherits his own past."

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Well, while this mod is a bit more accurate than vanilla it doesn't get to RTR or EB levels...
    There are a few what if units around for gameplay reasons but none of them is too fantasy, this is a "light" mod so we don't try to shoot for perfection, just a funny and believable game...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

What Zarax said pretty much sums it up. For some historical basis on hypaspist see the last section of XGM readme.

That said, nothing beat trying the mod for your self. XGM using a -mod switch so that it won't overright your RTW original files so even if you don't like it, you can uninstall it easily by deleted the xgm folder in your RTW folder. (Though I don't see why you would want to. ) . If you had vanilla RTW 1.5 then give DBH baby a try.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Zarax has it about right. Gameplay is the priority, but I think realism, within reason, improves gameplay so I have tried to move the units, and combat especially, in the direction of greater realism.

The Hypaspists were a real unit (Macedonian though, and difficult to pin down in terms of equipment and use). The Atenian Marines were also quite real (marines were used extensively by all the maritime powers, but the Athenians were particularly good). The Krypteia are one of the more fantasy units, although they also existed - they just weren't a battlefield unit.

Legione's Avatar Ordinarius

Thanx guys I might check it out because I was always interested in the Greeks but was turned off by the lack of units lol. I am also playing SPQR right now so I'm gonna try that double RTW install tool. Cheers.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Every man is his own ancestor, and every man is his own heir. He devises his own future, and he inherits his own past."