Thread: Adding the peasant trait?

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Default Adding the peasant trait?

What would you think about adding the is_peasant trait to the peasant units in XGM? This way the player would be discouraged to use them as garrison due to the halved order bonus...
    After all, seems logical to me that untrained units like peasants shouldn't be able to keep order as well as other, more skilled and professional units...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Why don't just remove them and be done with it? I've always hate peasant unit.

But if we have to keep them, then yeah, I second the idea.

Same here, if it was for me I would leave peasants just for rebels, but since DBH thinks it would be a significant gameplay change I'm opting for the compromise way...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Adding is_peasant sounds fine. Removing the ability to train them from the playable factions would (I think) also have the effect of preventing the rebels/slaves from recruiting them because recruitability is determined partly by the faction that the rebel sub-faction is attached to. That might not be such a big deal though. Still, I don't see a lot of peasant units in AI armies these days so I don't think it is necessary to remove them entirely.

Removing them does not mean erasing them from the game but rather just to remove the ability to build them for all factions except slave...
    Anyways, this can be made optional via extras so no big deal imho...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Zarax
    Removing them does not mean erasing them from the game but rather just to remove the ability to build them for all factions except slave...
    Anyways, this can be made optional via extras so no big deal imho...
    The problem is that Greek rebels/slaves can only recruit a unit if the GCS can recruit it, Egyptian slaves/rebels can only recruit a unit if the Egyptians can recruit it, and so on. That's why you don't get rebels showing up in Egypt with Hoplites or Barbarian Infantry. So removing peasants from the playable factions would effectively remove them from them from the slaves/rebels even if the slaves still had ownership. But this might not matter much, so long as we make sure they have other units to recruit.

Well, this is what I'm working for in the ZOR system, basically I'm givng the slave faction the possibility to recruit local mercanary and low tier units along with some degree of development so that the player will face some kind of organized resistance to early expansionistic tactics.

Other than that, I might develop a realistic economics mod so that facing multi stack armies won't be a common occurrence anymore...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Default Re: Adding the peasant trait?

ok, now it's clean, proceeding to lock it out...
    The Best Is Yet To Come: