Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A not so common wish list for the next total war UPDATED 23-10-2014

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: A not so common wish list for the next total war UPDATED 29-06-2011

Quote Originally Posted by Inkie Pie View Post
    Hmm, do you mean I've unwittingly paraphrased you? I suppose that's what you meant by "all units rushing", it's just more noticeable with the general because they're fast and in a central position.
    No, not at all! I meant, that I included your idea/wish.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Updated to include agent and province capture mechanics.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.

Updated to include better tech research.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

signed.

. . can I support that somehow?

Oh, I think the only way would be to make more people read it. Anyway from what I seen from Rome 2 up to now they are implementing quite a few of the things here. I by no means say they took inspiration or even read my wall of doom. More like a lot of those ideas where not only repeated all over both the official and this forums, but also simply logical conclusions on how improve the game.

Thanks anyway!

I wonder how many of this things got into Rome 2.

A little update on naval transports and CAI.

Updated some stuff about unit cohesion and flag mechanics.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: A not so common wish list for the next total war UPDATED 23-10-2014

Well my good sir, with warscape engine sieges are the most important part of the last TW titles (Shogun, Rome2 and Attila), in which you literally jump from one town to the other in one move, so, in my experience, a percentage of at lest the 70% of the battles you fight actually are sieges.

Well, the tragic point it's that we have no siege mechanics in any TW game.

Sieges lasted months and years, sieges require a specialized warfare, sieges are not just a big machine stoning down your walls, sieges were a whole universe of military tactics and strategies. To siege a town you need to have an army big enough to encircle the entire perimeter of the town, you need to build walls all around to protect your troops from the defenders' sorties, then you need to build walls to defend your troops from the enemies coming from outside, then you need supplies, a lot of them and enough of them to maintain the siege until the town capitulates, then you need artillery of many kind, to destroy the enemy defenses but also to protect your men from enemy fire from the town walls, then you need artillery to protect your batteries from the enemy's counter-battery fire, then you need cavalry to raid the countryside for supplies and to deny enemy supplies, then you need engineers to dig trenches, tunnels and mines, because more than guns, they were underground works which caused the fall of the walls, and you need troops able to fight in those tunnels, because also the enemy digs tunnels under or over your tunnels to find your men and kill them, then you need water, a lot of water for the troops and the animals, you need to establish a safe supply chain to get what you need to going on with the siege, and then you need to take care about the morale of your troops to avoid the fate of the Emperor Maximinus Thrax. Then we should consider the siege mechanics from the defender's perspective .. but you're a good man so I stop here with my horrid English.

Up to now, we have nothing, "0", nada de nada, nihil, niente!

Now, I see only two alternatives: or CA changes the engine of its ing games, or CA finally uses some intellect instead of the ass, and produces some decent siege-mechanics for its ing arcade games.

I'm sure they'll do nothing, don't ask me why, it's just a feeling!

Uhh ok my good friend.

Indeed they need to pay more attention and put more effort behind sieges. In the first post I got lengthy into how supplies, weapons, defences and other things from both sides would affect the siege. And how wrong are insta-sieges where you tear down walls with a few volleys, that realistically stood against bombardment for weeks or even months and years.

St. Cyr's Avatar Biarchus

-Number one for me is bring back the old system for Generals, where they had real personalities. I don't really need to be able to assign points, give my character a back story and some flair It was so simple in the older games too, with all the traits, and the nick-naming of the General, it gave you just enough material to form a vision in your mind about the character. Leading Prince Henri The Butcher (who was mad, infertile, and a dangerous drunkard) on a Crusade against the Ottomans is a lot more fun than leading Sciiopius Juliuss Cladius who has no cool traits, with a generic portrait, and meaningless numbers only is not so much.

-More field battles, less city battles and sieges. Historically most pivotal battles are open field combats, bring them more in to focus. The AI of Total War has always been terrible at sieges and city battles, another reason to make them less rare. Give us options and means to draw out the enemy of cities/forts/castles. The extra buildings on the map aside from the cities were a good way to do this.

-UI improvements. Give me a more user friendly spreedsheet option where I can see every settlement at once. Let me change the taxes on each individual province. Give me and option that I'm alerted with a pop up or something, when agents or armies arrive at their destinations and/or when they are doing nothing. Bring back govern ship skills and develop these further.

-Bring back prisoners and ransoms.

-We need bigger battle maps. The battle should not start with both armies 100 yards away from each other. Make the approach and positioning more important, as that decided oh....almost EVERY SINGLE HISTORICAL BATTLE EVER. Give me column formation movement bonuses, and make the jockeying for position on the terrain a key element of victory. Give me terrain status effects. A muddy field, windy day etc, give us other battlefield conditions that will help and hinder victory.

-War weariness or some kind of mechanic. You should not be able to endless wage war, especially if losses are high.

-More complicated diplomacy. Allow me to coordinate wars with allies, telling them when and where I want them to attack. Allow me to fund proxy wars and all sorts of other things. Make peace and trade have their own elements of fun so the game is not only wars. Perhaps adding in a culture mechanic like Civilization would be fun too, expanding ways to win beyond just killing your opponents. Also, only modded TW games have ever been good about AI behavior in terms of diplomacy. The AI should take deals that are fair and even beneficial to them instead of always rejecting them. They should sue for peace when they are getting whupped instead of fighting to the bitter end. The AI should only backstab when it is a clear and major advantage for them to do so.

Maybe I'm a tad crazy... But they seem to have used some of this ideas for the Thrones game (supply, food resource, getting better stuff the more you do it like siege engines with sieges)... Of course I'm not claiming they got then specifically from this thread, but is nice to see some of my ideas aren't so crazy.

Default Re: A not so common wish list for the next total war

That is all that is really needed to make the games more accessible. Hopefully they follow through!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234