Thread: Heroes' Duel Mode

Default Heroes' Duel Mode

I've been thinking about a mod to incorporate that awesome scene we see in the opening film to Shogun2 into the game. Here's what I've got made, and the idea gained the approval of several modders here in TWC.
    This thread is made to extend in content the idea itself and host a stage for everyone who wishes to review it. Hopefully we'll also find someone who'd agree to script it.

The mod:
    Having Hero Units fight each other before battle begins and thus affect the rest of the battle. It will also make sense in restricting the recruitment of Heroes, and finally make them useful. It'll also kick a serious amount of ass as the mod is very cinematic.
    Right now, Heroes are small-sized units who only differ themselves from other units of their type by skin and stats. This mod proposal aims at changing that.
    Continue reading in order to understand what should be done and how.

The new concept of Heroes
    As battle begins, the player goes through the same procedures as he did until now - picking the time of day and the weather, hearing a general's speech, and deploying his troops. With this mod, the player would have one more stage to go through - Heroes' Duel.
    The duel will allow two Hero units of opposing sides to fight each other in a ferocious battle in an attempt to dictate the course of battle. Each side's legendary hero will try to claw fear into the enemies' hearts and distill glory and pride into the spirits of their warriors.
    It's a game-enhancing feature that will make the player go "WOW" every time anew. It'll add a fun layer to owning a Hero unit while immersing the player in the game-world, and all that without straying out of realism's way.

Needed conditions:
    Both armies must have a Hero; There must be only one Hero Unit for each side in the battle; The Hero will only agree to join an army led by a general (and not a captain).

What is done:
    After a heroic speech from your general, after the armies sally out, after the soldiers deploy at their position - the player will take control over his Hero and march him forward to meet the enemy Hero halfway across the battlefield.
    When the two Heroes meet, their disciples standing firmly behind them, they will approach each other and commence a 1vs1 duel between them.
    Committed to the Bushido, the Way of the Warrior, the legendary Heroes will fight to the very death and won't dare turn their back on the fight and flee.
    After one of the Heroes defeated his opponent, the disciples - the Hero's most worthy students - will charge, clash each other and engage in battle. They will most likely fight to their death, honoring the Warrior Code and the deceased legendary Hero, though they might cower and run away, completely abandoning their cause.
    The winning Hero unit will continue to assist their army during the battle.
    The losing side in the duel will suffer morale damage, mourning their once-living legend.

How it's done:
    ► After the initial deployment, the player will be able to move his troops around - but will not be able to issue attacking orders. Artillery, if present, will be disabled. Scaling walls will be disabled, setting buildings (environmental buildings, not gates) on fire or capturing valuable buildings on the battlefield will remain active.
    ► The Hero units will be edited: their number will rise from 40 to 41, the one extra soldier is the actual Hero, the rest are his disciples.
    ► It will be possible to withdraw the Hero unit at any time - but doing so before or during a duel must have consequences, as it's not an honorable thing to do.
    ► The distance between two Hero units will be about 10 meters, this should give them enough room to fight each other using every possible animation and also not tire out the disciples by running, but still allow them to charge into each other.
    ► If the player will not reach out to meet the opposing Hero halfway through the map, the AI will rather stay put, but it might (with a small random chance) pursue the player to his own grounds.
    ► The Timer will be paused until the Duel is over (so one cannot abuse it to win a defensive battle by simply hiding his Hero).
    ► All offensive orders will be disabled until the duel between the Heroes AND their disciples is over. Technically it's like every non-Hero unit is still in the Deployment phase, only the deployment borders extend to the entire map.

► The Hero will be like an officer in the unit, his skin re-made to better fit how masters of combat looked when they went into battle (if deemed necessary by the modder and community).
    ► The Hero unit will act as a secondary General unit. It will have its radius of influence and special abilities, as follows: Fire/Whistling Arrows (for Bow Hero), Pike Wall (for Yari Hero and Nagitana Hero), Stand and Fight (all Heroes), Rally (all Heroes).
    ► The Hero will give a small morale boost to every unit within his radius of command, a slightly higher morale boost to units of his own type (arrows/katana/nagitana/yari) and a slight attack and defense bonuses for units of his own type - all of this only if the units are within his radius of influence.
    ► The losing side of the duel will suffer morale damage - enough to turn the tides of a very close battle but not enough to grant an automatic victory. This needs to be thoroughly tested in order to reach a perfect balance.
    ► If the winning side's Hero would die while fighting off the enemy's disciples or troops, his side will also suffer morale damage - though lower than the losing side's.
    ► Only one Hero unit of each type can be recruited for each clan at any point.
    ► There cannot be two Hero units in the same stack.
    ► If there are two armies of the same clan on the same battlefield, each with its own Hero unit, only the main (attacking/defending) army will participate in the Duel. The other Hero unit can still assist with the morale and stats bonuses throughout the battle, but will be deprived of participating in the Duel. (this is actually natural and requires no modding at all - reinforcements already work that way)

► The Heroes will be recruited as usual (top-level building of their type), though they will no longer appear as a regular unit but as a general unit or agent (whichever is possible, preferred to be a general unit), with the exception of general abilities, ie. being adopted, being appointed as commissioner, being given hostage through diplomacy etc.
    ► The Hero will have a name, according to historical figures who lived during the given timeframe and were master-Samurais.
    ► Whether or not will the Hero have his own skill tree, attributes and/or retainers is the modder's and community's choice - we need to discuss this (feel free to do so in this thread).
    ► The Hero will not go into battle if there's not a General in the army - he will simply not appear in battle and the battle will go on like any regular battle. Maybe even limit this further - allow the Hero to be attached only to the faction leader/heir's army...

Most Discussable Aspects:
    ► Killing the enemy Hero by missiles (arrows, bullets, projectiles) right after the duel is over, or retreating his Hero unit before/during a duel, will add considerably to the clan's "dishonorable Daimyo" stat in the campaign map (debate this, as I'm not sure about it).

► Once their Hero is dead, the disciples will disband after the battle - even if they did not run away during it (also debate this, as I'm not sure what to do in such situation - should they disband, elect/entitle a new Hero, or turn into a "normal" Hero unit? discuss it in this thread please).

► If the Hero died but his unit survived, they will continue to grant bonuses to morale, attack and defense as stated above - but the effect will be halved (or worse - also needs debating)

► What do you think of adding No-Dachi Hero and Ninja Hero? Feel free to debate this here. Cavalry Heroes will be disregarded at this point, but might be discussed later once we have a working product (in order to ease the work on the mechanics for the modders who will work on this project).

Note:
    ► Any questions by a modder regarding this mod can be asked here in the thread or by PM to me - I promise to answer each and every one of you.

So, what do you guys say? Would you like to see such a thing being modded into the game? Who is willing to work on such a mod?
    Last edited by Rome101; May 14, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
    All roads lead to Rome101. Also, squirrels.

Default Re: Heroes' Duel Mode

Hello!

I'm french so sorry for my english ^ ^

I'm a french modder has short I created two types of duelist (duelliste in french ) who beat them, well almost as if there are archers or riflemen or siege engines they shoot them ^ ^
    Last edited by Nightwish; May 11, 2011 at 09:10 AM.

Radious's Avatar I came, I saw, I modded

Hello Sir,

its nice idea, very nicely written and i like the way how you think to improve the game. However i am afraid doing such a mod is hardly impossible. Mainly your hero stage fight. Adding new sequence before battle would need hard coding and modding which we simple cant do in current state of our limited modding tools (PFM). Sadly since ETW modding were cut very much to basics and such a nice ideas are hardly possible to make.

It is possible to change hero units to 1 man army, but it would require total stats rebalances and result would not be very good, since 1 unit army would be very hard to balance.

So issues i see:

First adding new stage/sequence to the battles - most probably impossible, would require total code change, we cant do it, as i said our modding options are very limited.
    Second problem is AI, as you probably know TW games never had very clever AI, and telling them with which unit to attack, with which wait, creating some very complicated scripts, again this doesnt seem real, no matter how much we would try.
    Third as i said creating 1 man army hero units its possible, can be change vanilla ones or created as new custom unit - for just your stage battles it could be great, for normal battles have 1 man hero definitely not, with current settings and stats you cant properly balance it.

So its very nice idea, i agree, have some ceremony fight before the real battle starts could be nice (but could also get booring after some time, so it would be nice to make it skipable), but as i said my reasons i do not think it can be done.

angus young's Avatar Ordinarius
    Villefranche de rouergue France in the south

There is already one... you can find it here :

http://www.mundusbellicus.fr/forum/s...rsion-0.25-MAJ

But you have to speak and read... french...

@Radious:
    I'm sad to hear it. Do you think it will be possible in the future when CA opens up more of their code with patches and whatnot?
    I just want to say it probably won't get boring so soon, since these ceremonial battles will be a bit rare - remember they require both armies to have Hero units (which is already not a common sight) and be led by generals. It's also not a long stage, probably takes no more than 3-5 minutes. But, if some day it's done, we will see if the community wants the ability to skip it.
    I do want to ask you this: is it currently possible to make a unit unable to attack? Just disabling the attacking order using a condition (if) or a loop (while). We might figure out a workaround, it won't be perfect but it'll be much better than nothing.
    also: Thanks for the response

@Angus:
    I've used Google Translate to translate his mod into English. He just made a one-man-army from what I understood... or something like that. He does seem to claim to have managed to make the AI attack his one-man-hero using his own one-man-hero, but I can't be sure how that works exactly, if I even understood the translation right. Anyway, it's not even close to what I proposed.

Here are two videos of my mod a duel and the other missed and I succeeded I upload a video I made ​​with my duelists:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhb3B...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrS6_uq8UDw

I see. It's very nice, though also very different from my idea because I do not aim at creating a one-man army.
    There's one thing that can contribute to this mod though: you made the enemy send his dualist to fight your dualist. Does it work like that every time? Is it an AI pattern?
    If so, it's a big step towards being able to make this mod a reality. I'm eagerly waiting for an answer =]
    (also, congrats on the mod)

I believe that if we'll be able to mod the AI into sending its own Hero unit to fight the player's Hero unit, and if we can disable attacking until it's over (like I asked Radious), we're pretty much capable of performing the main idea of the mod.

I will answer your question this evening I must go before a small video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDNBrSSFlRc

Ralendil's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Rome10 View Post
    I believe that if we'll be able to mod the AI into sending its own Hero unit to fight the player's Hero unit, and if we can disable attacking until it's over (like I asked Radious), we're pretty much capable of performing the main idea of the mod.
    from what I've read that's not the actual problem.
    The AI sends the heroe. The problem is about archers. If AI has archers in the army, then the heroe will be killed by arrows before ending the duel.
    Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god.
    Jean Rostand

Current Mod for S2TW: Sengoku Unit Cards

Perhaps you're right. But as I see it, it's quite simple, if we have access to the AI's scripting. I believe we do (see: Darth Mod).
    Maybe the following script is possible?: (of course all the variables are completley made up, but it's just to make a point)

While (HeroUnitCounterInPlayerStack>0 && HeroUnitCounterInAIStack>0)
    {
    (code to disable missile&melee attack without restricting movements... maybe reduce their range to 0?)
    }
    If there's ANY way to tell units not to attack at all (I believe there is) than it's possible. I'm not a modder and not a scripter but I trust there is a way. I'd go look for it myself if no answer if found by Sunday (I have a huge exam on Sunday and will be studying all weekend). Let's assume this point is taken care of and keep trying to find other problems.

First problem by Radious: Creating a new phase is impossible; Solution: only restrict attacking orders for any non-Hero unit, and not movement. Creating a new phase is not needed, and therefore there's no problem.
    Second problem by Radious: AI will attack; Solution: as said before, disallow attacking orders (there must be an AI pattern to act defensively and not attack on its own), until we figure out how to do that exactly we'll disregard this problem as solved, and return to it later.
    Third problem by Radious: One Man Army is impossible to balance; Solution: One-man-army was never proposed. The idea is to have a 41-soldiers unit. The problem is nonexistent.

First problem by me: How do we force a prolonged battle between the two heroes, so it won't be over so quickly?
    Second problem by me: Is it at all possible to maneuver a single soldier out of an entire unit of 41 men? Any way at all, under any circumstances?

Good day (/night)

bumped.... I want more opinions and look for solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Rome10 View Post
    I see. It's very nice, though also very different from my idea because I do not aim at creating a one-man army.
    There's one thing that can contribute to this mod though: you made the enemy send his dualist to fight your dualist. Does it work like that every time? Is it an AI pattern?
    If so, it's a big step towards being able to make this mod a reality. I'm eagerly waiting for an answer =]
    (also, congrats on the mod)

hello!

Well I still have a little trouble with my English ^ ^ short Duellists (when an enemy is one and me the same) usually enemy I can not move forward without moving my duo (I commend Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDNBrSSFlRc )
    And the battle is completed only when all the duelists are dead (well when you've killed all enemy duelists if there) but they are not only men who fight they give courage to the units nearby and may even encourage this unit I hope to have answered your question

Sorry Nightwish, I can't understand you so well... I'll ask a yes-or-no question, to make it easier for you
    "Does other, non-hero units clash/attack BEFORE the heroes are done dueling?"

If so, I'm guessing you modded the AI. Did you mod the AI to do that?

it depends but generally not ^ ^ (when there are Duellists )

Thank you. Some more y/n questions, for you and every other modder who'd like to answer them:
    Is there a way to stop them from attacking using an AI code with a "while" condition?
    Is there a way to change unit's statistics (specifically, range for missile troops) while inside of a battle?
    Is it possible to write an AI code for a unit to follow another unit on the battlefield? (copy her exact movements only 10 feet behind)?

Maybe the way to accomplish this is:
    1. Go ahead and make hero units 1 man, but don't buff their offensive power to the point where a hero unit can kill 40+ men. However, buff his defences so that it's pretty hard for him to die even when on the front lines. That will keep the power balanced enough.
    2. Script it so that IF both armies have a hero unit THEN the hero units enter the battle first as normal and the rest of the units are re-categorized as reinforcements. This way, the two hero units get some time to fight alone before their armies reach them.
    3. Attach a big radius army bonus to all hero units. This way, whichever hero dies, the other side has a relative advantage since their hero is still alive. This eliminates the programming difficulty of applying a penalty to the losing side. If only one army has a hero to begin with then they should get the army bonus even without a "hero duel."
    4. During the course of the battle, the hero should be able to fight on the front line and be hard to kill.
    5. Of course, one side could choose to flee their hero back to their army at the beginning. No prob. Both sides fight with their heroes alive at the beginning.

Sounds awesome

"Est-il un moyen de les empêcher de ravager l'aide d'un code d'Amnesty International avec un "tout" condition?
    Est-il possible de changer les statistiques de l'unité (en particulier, la gamme des troupes de missiles), tandis que l'intérieur d'une bataille?
    Est-il possible d'écrire un code de l'IA pour une unité de suivre une autre unité sur le champ de bataille? (Copie exacte de ses mouvements à seulement 10 pieds derrière)?"
    No ,
    Yes
    don't know

1. Balance is the least of our worries. Protecting the Hero is the player's responsibility, in no way should he be used as a one-man-army.
    We need to figure out a way to make the Heroes fight in a duel (1vs1) but still have disciples... maybe this can be done by rearranging the unit's formation? Is it possible to make one man stand out in front of a unit?
    2. That was the general idea (only duel if both sides have Heroes, and I quote from my opening post: "Needed conditions: Both armies must have a Hero"). But your idea of re-categorizing the rest of the army as reinforcements is great! I believe we can use this method if scripting the AI, to wait after the duel before they attack, fails. Thanks!
    3.The radius of passive influence (not requiring an enemy hero to apply bonuses) was also stated in the OP. But you're right - penalties might be very tricky, where depriving a hero-less army of benefits could be a much easier way to apply the same effect. Thanks again!
    4. Agree, but certainly not a one-man-army. The player needs to feel he should protect him at all times, he must be valuable. Also, it's important we manage to give him disciples to act as bodyguards if he gets stuck in a dangerous situation. That's why I opt for a 41-men unit and not 1.
    5. You're absolutely right, I'll add that to the list in the OP right now. There also has to be some kind of penalty to it (it's dishonorable), but we'll discuss the penalties later - first we need to see the idea building up.
    Once again I'm asking the modders of you - would you like to take responsibility for this mod? Your reputation as a legendary modder will skyrocket!

Thanks for the helpful suggestions ShinyHalo. +rep

@Nightwish:
    Regarding the 2nd question: Can we virtually disallow the enemy from shooting the Hero before the duel is over, by editing their range to 0 while the Heroes are dueling (until one of them is dead)?
    Regarding the 1st: Are you sure? What are the technical limitations behind this?
    Thanks a lot for your prolonged help. +rep too
    Last edited by Rome101; May 14, 2011 at 12:01 PM.