Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Patéres tis Dimokratías - A Greek IH

Watercress's Avatar Praeses
    Her Majesty's Extraterrestrial Possessions

Default Patéres tis Dimokratías - A Greek IH

It is 800 BC, And Greece is Blossoming into a Classical Age.

Emerging from the Dark ages caused by the fall of Mycenaean civilization, Greece is a new land once again. Written script is returning, under a new Greek alphabet. The land is now divided among hundreds of self-governing communities, a pattern largely dictated by Greek geography, where every island, valley and plain is cut off from its neighbours by the sea or mountain ranges. Already farming and other industries and increasing, and indeed the land is becoming overpopulated. With this in mind, many Greeks are already setting off from the homeland, to colonise and bring the entire classical world under the thumb of Greek civilization. Back home, great 'Poleis' are rising, and clashing. Leaders are coming to power, and great armies duel for vital farming and grazing land. One of these leaders is you. How will you lead your city? Will you led the Poli to conquer all of the Hellenes? Will you send out navigators to bring the Light of Greece to the Barbarians? It is up to you. Oh, and the Gods, of course.

Military & Prestige Rules
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    For PtD, I will be stealing most of DOM's rules, but bring in some of my own at the same time.

Unit Types:
    Skirmishers - slingers, scouts, javelineers etc. - 1% of your econ
    Hoplites - spearmen, pikemen etc. - 1% of your econ
    Archers - self-explanatory - 1% of your econ
    Light cavalry - scouts, mounted militia etc. - 5% of your econ
    Heavy cavalry - nobles, shock troopers etc. - 5% of your econ
    Siege engine - rams, catapults etc. - 8% of your econ, 2 turns
    Siege ladder - self-explanatory - 1% of your econ, 1 turn
    Bireme - 2% of your econ, 2 turns
    Trireme - 4% of your econ, 2 turns
    Quadrireme - 6% of your econ, 3 turns
    Quinquereme - 10% of your econ, 3 turns

Training:
    Militia - 1 turn - 0% econ
    Regular - 2 turns - 2% econ
    Elite - 4 turns - 4% econ

Force Limit: 50 Units

You are limited in your army's size by your prestige. Starting at 0 prestige, you will be limited to 50 units. Increase your prestige, and you will see your limit increased.

Prestige replaces Faith in this game. You can gain Prestige by founding colonies, completing quests, and winning wars. Alternatively, you can lose Prestige by losing wars, failing colonies, and abandoning quests. In addition to increasing your Force Limit, Prestige can help you negotiate with minor Greek states, and decrease the cost of colonising.

Economic Rules:
    Starting Economy:
    100 % Economy
    0 Prestige
    1 Province

There are numerous ways to increase your economy. Firstly, provinces. Your capital generates 10% economy every turn. Every other province grants 5%, including colonies. Secondly, through quests, rewards, and successful colonisation. Thirdly, trade. You are limited to three trade partners, but beware if they are broken...

Trade:
    Level 1 - 5%
    Level 2 - 10%
    Level 3 - 15%
    Level 4 - 20%
    Level 5 - 25%

Colonisation & Faction Rules
    Colonies were frequently founded during this age, and many city states made a great profit from these cities. To found a colony, PM with a colony claim - please keep them reasonable, preferable just the area for a small city. I will then present the cost.

But that is not the end of it. You will then need to undergo some trials and questions before the colony is founded - similar to a Quest. These will vary depending on location, size, .etc. When you have passed your colonial trials, you will gain the colony as a province, as well as Prestige bonuses.

When setting up your faction, remember that your main city in your starting province is your faction, and give them some historical background. In addition, create 3 Characters for your faction - you will need these for your armies and quests. Also remember to choose a Patron God for your city - it can be your city's actual Patron God, or whoever you like.

Mythology and Quest Rules
    Mythology, like Dawn of Man, plays a large role in this game. Gods will constantly meddle in the affairs of the Greeks, from their home in Mount Olympus. Powerful Artifacts, Mighty Heroes, and Terrible Monsters dot the landscape, all waiting to be claimed by a adventurous character, on behalf of his people.

Like DOM, you will need to create a thread, and present a selection of units you will be taking with you on this quest. You can only take half of your Force Limit.

Artifacts
    Aegis - shield of Zeus and Athena
    Trident of Poseidon - trident of the Greek god Poseidon
    Chariot of the Sun - the chariot driven by the Greek god Apollo
    Bow of Apollo - the bow used by Apollo
    Helmet of Hades - a helmet of the Greek underworld, said to make its user invisible

Monsters:
    Argus - Argus had as many as one hundred eyes, which were located all over his body. Hera employed him as a guard.
    Cerebus - Cerberus was a huge and powerful three-headed dog. He was owned by Hades, god of the dead, who used the fearsome hound to guard the entrance to the underworld.
    Cyclopes - Each of the Cyclopes was gigantic and had a single eye in the middle of its forehead. The Cyclopes made lightning and thunderbolts for Zeus to use.
    Sirens - The Sirens were giant, winged creatures with the heads of women. They lived on rocks on the sea, where their beautiful singing lured sailors to shipwreck.
    Scylla - The powerful monsters Scylla and Charybdis lived together in a sea cave. Scylla had many fierce dog heads and ate sailors alive.
    Charybdis - The powerful monsters Scylla and Charybdis lived together in a sea cave. Charybdis created whirlpools by sucking in and spitting out seawater.

Heroes:
    Achilles - hero of the Trojan War
    Heracles - ascended hero
    Ino - a Theban princess who became the sea goddess Leucothea
    Perseus - a son of Zeus and a mortal woman who fought and beat Medusa
    Bellerophon - rider of the winged Pegasus, slayer of the Chimera
    Atlanta -Atlanta was a renowned huntress that had the skills of a wild animal.

Map:

OOC: Well, here's my third go at a IH. Most of it's stolen from Barry, so credit to him, but some of the ideas are mine. Tell me what you think
    Last edited by Watercress; May 11, 2011 at 05:22 PM.

"Only Connect!...Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer."

Bjorn's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: Patéres tis Dimokratías - A Greek IH

VERY cool. And a hell of a good coincidence. I've been iching for something like this for ages =D Count me in as soon as you're ready

Jingo Eugene's Avatar Vicarius

I agree with the Alemanni up there. Count me in.

Question- Will the map only be on Greece proper or will it go out to Asia Minor and the Bosporus and (most importantly) Rhodes?
    Jingo Eugene
    "A wise man in times of peace, will prepare for war. Peace is boring, and the wise man has nothing better to do with his time." -Anon

Probably not as far north as the Bosporus, but i will include Rhodes, the Aegean, and Symrna, i think. Of course, you can colonise the Bosporous if you wish.

"Only Connect!...Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer."

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Will we pick from historical citys IE athens, sparta, etc If so i pick Athens

EDIT: ohh wait cant sign up yet but still if im not on when you post the map save it for me...

Probably, each province will be based around a historical city.

Just added a little bit about factions, keep it in mind when claiming.

Sorry for the triple post, but you guys can start claiming. Simply colour in the region you want, and post it. Once you've done that, read up on the region you've chosen, and create your faction's thread in the diplomacy sub forum.

one region that your city is in right

Changed my call, I'll take Thebes

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

All right. This may sound silly, but could someone color northern Rhodes for me? Right now the comp I'd normally use has a virus that keeps me off the internet, and I am not using my own computer and if I were to get a virus on this one, I'd be royally screwed. It can be whatever color, and I will be the City-State of Rhodes. (The actual city was in the north right? If it was in the south, I will begin there.)
    Jingo Eugene
    "A wise man in times of peace, will prepare for war. Peace is boring, and the wise man has nothing better to do with his time." -Anon

ATHENS
    and added you 3rd
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; May 10, 2011 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post

ATHENS
    I knew you'd go for Athens Pericles.
    Jingo Eugene

look i edited it and added rhodes in and you knew i would be athens my name does not give it away at all

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

The Kingdom of Sparta

King: Alexandros of Sparte

Sparta was a Diarchy, you'll need to make another king

Where's Thessaly on the map..i just want to know general location before I pick.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

I know it was a dual monharchy, I only want one king though.
    @Rosen: As far north as you can get in Greece without going into Macedonia.

- Alexandros, were's the other king of Sparta?

*Alexandros hides a bloody sword behind his back*
    - How should I know?

blue area is Thessaly(but you can only have one region)

and sparta is an oligarchy with two kings so not really a kingdom and want to have 2 historical kings

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast