Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New sub mod- XGM Rise or Fall

Steli-os's Avatar Libertus

Default New sub mod- XGM Rise or Fall

Before I say anything about this mod, I have to thank everyone who worked on this great mod (Extended Greek Mod).
    The second thing I want to say is that I’m not an experienced modder, so don’t expect great things!!
    This mod begun as a custom campaign but as I needed to change some things (faction names mostly) I thought of making a sub mod. Then I said “why don’t I upload it as well?” So here we are! I hope you like it…
    Ok some info:

It's the year 168 B.C.

While Alexander's successors were fighting each other, a new power came to the forefront: Rome. They defeated many Greek armies ( mostly Macedonian ) and have shown great potential. The formerly great Macedonian Empire is now reduced to a small and weak kingdom fighting for survival. Ptolemies are in an even worse situation because of their fight with Seleucids. Seleucids have lost half of their empire and Eumenes of Pergamum is trying to undermine all of Alexander's successors to Rome, in order to take advantage of the situation.
    Now Perseas, the Macedonian King faces the greatest challenge of his life. He has to defend his kingdom against the Romans. On the other hand the Romans have the opportunity to defeat the Macedonians once and for all...

That was a short preview of the story

For the game play:

· All units start with one hit point ( except some highly trained units )
    · Spartan Royal Guard Stats: Att:17, Def: 26 Hp: 4, Soldiers 30 (instead of 100), turns: 16 ( 8 years. From the age of 10 to 18)
    · Thracian Peltasts are probably the best skirmish unit in the game (They were thought to be the best).
    · Almost every unit got re-balanced as i thought they should be (only a few incurred big changes )
    · Buildings take much less to be built (the cost remains high or even higher than before). I did that because I see most upgrades as an expansion of the previous building ( for example: Barracks- 1 turn, Militia Barracks-1 turn, City Barracks-1 turn, Army Barracks-1 turn, City Barracks-2 turns… Total 6 turns to be built-3 years. I think this amount of time would be more than enough . The same goes for most buildings-not all. )
    · Kingdom of Pergamum (playable) and Indian Kingdoms (not playable) are added to the game.
    · Some factions are rebalanced (mostly economically) so they act as close to reality as possible. For example Greek cities are not likely to be much of a challenge for Rome (AI) or the player - they will be a great challenge to play with though! Indians won’t rule the world and Thracians are not likely to reach to Scandinavia as they used to!
    · Rebels are VERY strong, so AI will not expand very fast
    · Greek Sacred Band is now recruitable only in Thebes.
    · The game begins with the battle of Pydna ( I made some research and found almost exactly every unit that took part in the battle.)
    · If the player starts as a faction besides Rome or Macedon, Macedonians automatically lose, so the game will be more realistic. If the player chose Rome or Macedon, he will fight a great battle!!
    · Most important names of the time appear in the game

There may be some other changes I forget to mention now. But you will find out soon!

Some problems I found while testing the game:

· Greek City States and Kingdom of Pergamum will lose around 130 BC despite of having cities and family members. I don’t know why this is happening or how to fix this but this serves the historical accuracy! Both didn’t exist by that time!!! (notice that this won’t happen when the player takes one of these factions) But if you save your game before every next turn like I do, I think this won’t be a problem! Just load from there again! I didn’t try it yet but I think this will work.
    · Some generals I added (not family members ) will appear as two, but in the battle they count as one, so that’s really not very important…
    · I found out that “land bridges” is not one of the optional features anymore (this happened to be good for the game play, as Kingdoms of Pergamum and Spain or Rome won’t expand were they shouldn’t at their time!)-and I guess AI’s bonuses… Fatigue seems to work though but I’m not really sure. I didn’t have any problems in battles though
    · And the most annoying: After 140 BC there is likely to be a CTD, but after that you will be able to load and continue ( it happens every time I go to the next turn, so even if you didn’t save its ok)
    · And after the first time you exit the game there will be a message about an error (probably the reason for the CDT J -couldn’t fix it). After that it won’t bother you any more.

I think these are all the problems I found, during the tests I run. The game is fully play able and fun, so… have fun!!
    I didn’t aim for total historical accuracy, so excuse me for any mistakes in this section
    I hope everyone enjoys it, have fun!

Almost forgot it! To play just unpack and copy the file to the directory of Rome total war. I included a short cut in the data folder (just check first if the directory is correct) , so you are good to go!

Note: There Must be the original XGM installed

And here is the download link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GSR18UYY
    Look down for the new version

Edit: It seems that the mod is not compatible with BI or Alex, only with the original rtw . Any other configurations do not affect the game or cause any other problems. At least I didn't find any problems, while testing the game with different configurations on rtw . The mod seems to use the default configurations settings, so that's the only problem.

(If you have xgm installed with alex or bi it's not a problem. Instead of reinstalling xgm,you can change the directory of the new short cut to something like that [ "C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err -nm -mod:XGM-ROF ] (
    "RomeTW.exe" instead of "RomeTW-ALX.exe" or "RomeTW-BI.exe") . Of course rtw cd is required to play the mod )

11 Jan 2012
    Good news for rise or fall fans! A new version is released!

Some changes:
    *there are the two main gallic tribes in the mod: Aeudi & Arverni
    *the Indo - Hellenic Kingdom is added with many new units ( most of them from Alexander )
    *the Achaean and the Aetolian League are added
    *Sarmatians instead of Scythians in the game
    *AI is balanced even better than before with some scripts(mostly garrison scripts, which now are activated for AI as well and even if an enemy force just closes in!! - a click on the advisor will be required)
    *there are some changes to some units as well
    *land bridges are added once again
    *the rebel faction is stronger than ever
    *most (if not all) bugs are fixed

ROF is created to run with RTW.exe (NOTE that original xgm is required)

just check the directory before installing and you are good to go (something like: C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\XGM-ROF)
    shortcut included in the XGM - ROF
    folder

Download Link(including Alexander submod for xgm):
    https://mega.co.nz/#!TB5gWSTR!coEwMW...0H2ckMA8yfceQo
    It seems that there is a problem while trying to download this using Mozilla Firefox. You shoud try Google Chrome

If any problems occur, contact for help. Have fun!
    Last edited by Steli-os; November 05, 2014 at 04:51 AM.

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: New sub mod- XGM Rise or Fall

Is this compatible with XC?
    Im guessing not but heres hoping *crosses fingers*
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

To be honest i didn't try it but i think it might work.You can give it a shot i guess.You will only lose some time and space

martin616 if you try it tell me the result ok? If it doesn't work this means it works only with the original files as a backround..

Trying it now, just had to create a copy of the Rome folder.
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"

Wont work for me.
    Extended Greek Mod version 5.9.10
    Use BI: No
    Use Alex: No
    Use Steam: No
    Enable Fatigue: Yes
    Faster Movement: Yes
    Land Bridges: Yes
    Minimal Borders: No
    No Red Line: No
    Prometheus Cities: No
    Reduce AI Bonuses: Yes
    One Hitpoint System: No
    Enable Loyalty: No
    You will have to have those options to use this mod btw
    FYI to Steli-os. Most people use BI so you should use that as and not the standard exe.

I didn't think that would be a problem :/ A friend of mine used it with alex (same settings though) and didn'y have any problems... we just used his "xgmversion" file instead..Maybe that needs to be done...just copy the "xgmversion" file from the original xgm to XGM-ROF\Data. if someone tries it again let us know! ( i've tested it two times so there's no point in trying again )

By the way.. what does "FYI" mean? sorry i'm new

The results of the first battle...i played as macedon and won of course

battle.jpg

FWI-for your information.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Steli-os: As you know, XGM can be installed with many different configurations. If you make your sub-mod using the files from one configuration, they might not work with any other configuration. You can deal with this in one of two ways:

(1) The easy way: choose a set of install options and tell your users to install XGM with that set of options before they install your submod.
    (2) The hard (but better) way: create your own installer. Everything you need is in the XGM repository, and instructions are in the stickied repository thread.

martin616 thanks

DimeBagHo i found what you said...it's going to take some time and to be honest i dont feel like doing all this work so i guess i'll do it the first way! Thank you for the tips. ...i thought all i had to do was to just upload it anyway, thank you again

i found an easy way to play the mod if you have xgm installed with alex or bi.check the update οf my first post.

Anyone played the mod yet? If so, tell me your opinion
    Last edited by Steli-os; May 13, 2011 at 12:30 PM.

I'll give this a shot, are there any infantry units that are very well armoured(11+ armor stat)
    in this sub-mod?

Also, there aren't any new units... right?

Great job getting this out, by the way, looks very promising.

I think the highest armour stat is 10 for infantry...There are no new units in this sub mod, I just rebalanced the existing units.
    Thank you for your interest. I hope you like it!

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Quote Originally Posted by martin616 View Post
    Is this compatible with XC?
    Im guessing not but heres hoping *crosses fingers*
    Aside from maybe strat map appearance mods it's unlikely any XGM mod can be put straight on XC, differences are way too big for that to happen.
    Although XC is derived from XGM two years of intensive development means that there is very little (almost none) shared code.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Anyone had any problems with the mod? Feel free to share any comments.

A new version is released! Look At the first post for more info
    We make war that we may live in peace

I just won the first battle with macedon...It was very hard!I had to fight the battle over 10 times!
    We make war that we may live in peace

when I fire up Rome total war with your mod everything is ok but the centre of my screen is a bit blurry.Not bad but annoying.Any fix?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast