Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: [XGM AAR] The Rise of the Kingdom of Pergamon

DualKatanas's Avatar Civis

Default Re: [XGM AAR] The Rise of the Kingdom of Pergamon

And here is one such update; a bit short compared to the others, but there's still no shortage of action. And, importantly, feel free to tell me if I'm doing something wrong; given how often I ask for harsh reviews over on Fanfiction.net, it should be expected that I can take a lot of criticism over here...

Chapter XX: Pachyderms and Mass Slaughter

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Our Galatian neighbours send us a kind gift. King Iobates is taken aback; normally all he gets from his neighbours are endless entreaties to become client states or elephant dung sent through the post. The Galatians have never troubled us in the past and they have a sizeable army in the area; maybe they might even consider an alliance...

...but then Iobates realises that the entire Kingdom and Empire has no diplomats, and he cannot afford to train one. He goes back to planning his latest offensive.

Before he leaves, he receives word of a suitor wanting to marry his sister. He leaves Aristarchos to do the brotherly duties and so thus Drimylos passes the screening process despite being more akin to an annoying tutor than a general. Still, he'll serve to govern Halicarnassus and possibly lead a hypothetical attack on Rhodes or Salamis in the far future.

Back in the realm of things that the King understands, a Seleucid army blocks his progress north. He's on an expedition to defeat the hordes of Armenians currently converging on Mazaka, and doesn't take kindly to being interrupted.

The Seleucids have brought a large contingent of elephants from their eastern holdings; wonder if they'll perform better than their African cousins?

Answer: yes, they do, though they are being deployed in force. Our right is put under pressure.

One of our phalangites is broken, mainly by the weight of elephants falling on our men, but the pachyderm threat is dealt with.

Elsewhere, Iobates has bent the phalanx to deal better with a Seleucid flanking probe. The enemy is finding it impossible to break through.

There's why; apart from the elephants, most of the Seleucid force consists of militia dragged from their homes, handed a sharp stick, and thrown into our experienced meatgrinder.

Predictably, they break, and Iobates celebrates his sister's wedding by indulging in his favourite hobby.

Perhaps there is something cute about Indian elephants aimlessly running amok; some of our men want to keep them as pets. Iobates ruthlessly orders his archers to shoot them down.

Our right flank took heavy casualties, but Iobates regards it merely as a stepping stone; he is foaming at the mouth in eagerness to get to grips with his son's besiegers.

He forces the besieging force into retreat and then circles around to attack the main Armenian forces in the area. Sarduri and Zipoetes each command enough men to storm Mazaka, and Varoujan of the Weird Hat is the man who pushed Idomeneos' army to breaking point a few updates ago. Despite being outnumbered, however, Iobates is confident the quality of his experienced troops will shine through; even the army strength ratio bar agrees.

His battle plans are dashed by Zipoetes appearing behind him. The King orders a rapid redeployment.

Sarduri's main force approaches slowly, knowing the reputation of the Pergamene phalanx.

On our left flank – now hurriedly reorganised – Zipoetes also seems hesitant to commit, and our archers cannot cover both fronts.

Still unwilling to attack, the Armenians build up a massive force on the angle of our phalanx. It's a weak spot; maybe they might just have the tactical nous to attack there?

They do, but horse archers are hardly going to trouble a phalanx by charging into it.

Our heavy cavalry charges out to deal with one of the many Armenian generals dotting the field. I think this one is Varoujan...

He wisely does a runner. Now he knows how Idomeneos felt...

Sarduri finally launches an attack on our centre, but our phalanx can handle attacks like this with one hand while eating a sandwich with the other. Or reading a gentlemen's magazine. Either way, they're not getting through any time this year.

On the other hand, these blokes might, particularly as that phalangite has about five hundred javelins sticking out of it.

The attack is defeated, and, sensing that the low-quality Armenian infantry will never attack, Iobates orders an attack of his own.

His hoplites attack the flanks of the massive green blob while he leads his cavalry charging into the centre like madmen. His bodyguard is too thrilled to be scared.

Low-quality Armenian infantry are cut down mercilessly by the experienced Pergamenes, who are more used to fighting heavily-armoured Seleucids.

All cohesion is lost and the Pergamene cavalry starts to run around, mopping up straggling units.

One of their generals gets prodded to death...

Another tries to take a sneaky stab at our archers, who have already taken considerable losses in this battle. He gets crushed.

Another Armenian leader bites the dust. The hoplites will be arguing for decades over who got the last prod in.

The Armenians are shattered; none of these armies will be threatening Mazaka for quite some time, and three of their sons lie dead in the dust of Anatolia. However, Iobates' high casualties – particularly among his archers – force him to return to Antioch for retraining. Besides, he doesn't trust Akrisias not to do something completely stupid in his absence.

Had those armies remained, Pidytes would have died surrounded by Armenian corpses in the middle of Mazaka's town square. Then again, that might still happen...

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Well man, you have a verry good style and i find no errors in your AAR so i consider you a good writer and a fine strategist.

DualKatanas's Avatar Civis

Seems that this update has taken so long that I've been pushed off the front page... but now I'm back on it, at least. Apologies for the undue wait.

Chapter XXI: New Blood, Old Blood

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The independent Greeks decide to hop across from Rhodes and strike at our soft underbelly. Maybe they realised that we were going to invade them when we could scrape up an army... then again, we couldn't be able to afford that for many years yet. In any case, it's fortunate that Halicarnassus has an actual governor in it to lead the garrison, though Drimylos is unblooded.

In other news, the Eastern Kingdoms breathes its last. No surprises there; the Seleucids have been following in Alexander's footsteps all the way to India.

Drimylos tries to argue that he is outnumbered and inexperienced. His wife tells him that her brothers have faced worse odds before and laughed at them, and tells him to get on with it.

Using some of Iobates' tactical manuals for advice, Drimylos forms up his men into one phalanx just outside the walls.

He envelops part of their infantry and prepares for a standard hammer-and-anvil charge.

The Greek thureophoroi break, and Drimylos charges right through them into their captain's unit. He certainly doesn't lack a sort of basic primitive courage, this bloke.

He draws them back onto his phalanx and crushes them. That's a few hundred Greeks who won't be escaping back across the sea...

Drimylos reforms his line to await the next batch.

They advance in deep formation, clearly hoping to break the phalanx with sheer weight of numbers.

They march calmly onto our sarissas, not even stopping to throw sticks at us first.

Their captain seems happy enough to stand off and get shot by the towers of Halicarnassus as his men get killed to death repeatedly.

Finally coming to his senses, he orders a retreat. Drimylos pursues, but knows that his bodyguard can't match thorakitai when outnumbered three-to-one. Always knew he was a smart man...

Drimylos wins his first victory. Here's hoping those Greeks won't trouble us again until it's time to invade them... their city and the Colossus of Rhodes look tantalisingly close.

Elsewhere, Pidytes sallies to break a renewed siege of Mazaka. Iobates dropped off some spare units from his army that he didn't need any more, giving Pidytes some much-needed strength.

Karayan of Shamushat – great name, that – stands off calmly and lets us form up. Nice of him. Pidytes makes a note to give him a good funeral instead of just putting his head on another spike over the gates.

Their dangerous cataphract archers get a hail of javelins thrown at them.

Pidytes sends out his experienced slingers – some of whom have been with his father's army since the battles of Ipsus and Sardis so long ago – to lure the enemy in to fight what passes for his battle line.

He is forced to intervene personally as the cataphract archers decide to attack his valuable Syrian archers instead.

A scattered infantry battle begins. Pidytes charges around to perform multiple hammer-and-anvils.

Perhaps the Karkades are unnerved by the corpses littering the battlefield behind them... or maybe it's because Pidytes is just out of shot, waving his bloody sword around to signal the charge into their rear.

Mazaka is safe, for around two seconds or so until the next besieging army gets here.

I'd almost forgotten about this front. The Macedonians hurl yet another army across the Bosporus. Wonder if they'll ever give up?

Idomeneos gets started on some excess paperwork.

These Hellenic cousins of ours do show a starling lack of imagination sometimes...

Some eager hoplites plunge into the fray.

The usual black blob starts to hammer away at our phalanx.

And the result is what it has been for the last half-a-hundred times...

Captain Lysippos is cut down along with his peltasts.

Foot Companions typically hold up better than the rest of their comrades. Idomeneos charges in to attack.

They soon break. They all break under a Pergamene hammer-and-anvil... always.

A typical battle. The dead Macedonian horsemen are lined up in neat rows.

Here we go again...

It might say on Idomeneos's grave: 'died of boredom fighting Macedonians'.

Much to his annoyance, they bring a fair-sized contingent of skirmisher cavalry.

Once again, their infantry breaks itself on our phalanx.

They scatter and run in the face of our superiority. You'd think they'd have learnt by now...

What's the overall score now? I've lost count... at the very least, it's Lots to Very Few.

Idomeneos is starting to get a headache. And arm-ache; his sword arm gets a good workout every battle.

He gets started on more paperwork, trusting his army to know what they have to do...

Unfortunately, his phalanx commanders seem to be lobotomised idiots who don't know how to get their men to drop their pikes properly. By the time Idomeneos looks up from his paperwork, the Macedonians have already charged.

Away from the not-phalanx, our right flank surrounds some skirmisher cavalry.

Fortunately, our armoured phalangites are skilled enough to survive even with that mistake, but they take hundreds of avoidable casualties.

Captain Kleisthenes is run down mercilessly.

Another victory, but we took unnecessary casualties. Idomeneos starts ranting at his phalanx.

...but is then forced to stop as yet another army is chucked across the Bosporus and expected to die well. How do they find all these armies?

Idomeneos makes sure that all his distracting paperwork is stuffed safely under his helmet, out of the way.

His phalanx carefully makes sure they're in position this time.

Normal service is restored.

Crunch.

Blimey, an entire update that doesn't feature a battle involving Iobates? He must have lost his taste for war... but there's a lot of war coming, that's for sure. The Seleucid Empire is still the most powerful nation in the known world... and with the destruction of the Eastern Kingdoms, the only nation they're fighting is us. Urk.

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

OOh all those battles are paintfully borring i guess, those macedonians will never give up unless you start to take their cities.Great update.(btw you should invade greece i belive.that's the most normal thing to do in order to stop the macedonians.)
    Cheers Predator!

Very nice AAR (I like pictures!!). It made me download the XGM mod.

A couple of remarks on your style/method which are very different from my own:
    - your battle line is often thin, but very wide. Makes for a thin anvil or does it?
    - you don't use that much cavalry units in your army (Iodetes'). Makes for a light hammer?
    - you don't(?) merge your archer units despite the fact that they have gone small because of losses. From 4 you could make 3.

It doesn't stop you beating the armies which you face!

After I read the entire AAR some of my questions have been answered (thin phalanx). And not all your armies have fairly little cavalry.
    Got a new question though: I read on the XGM readme file that armies are more expensive to build up and more expensive to uphold then in vanilla RTW. Why not try to make more trade-right alliances to bolster your finances?

Kleomenis's Avatar Semisalis

really great skill in battles. of course Medium setting helped, but never the less, great

I fear that this AAR is dead

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345