Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [XGM AAR] The Rise of the Kingdom of Pergamon

DualKatanas's Avatar Civis

Default Re: [XGM AAR] The Rise of the Kingdom of Pergamon

Yes, I'm back. I think. I hope. Well, on the off-chance that anyone missed me, my old computer decided to rather ungratefully implode. Fortunately, I managed to back up my saved games, but then I forgot all about RTW... unforgivable, I know.

Fear not, however; this AAR was dead, but it's been resurrected. Expect an update as soon as possible. I just hope I haven't lost my touch...

Here's hoping, indeed. good to have you back, DK.

It's good to be back. For now, here's the promised update:

Chapter XIV: Conquest in Defiance of Common Sense

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Kingdom and the Empire come under simultaneous attack; one of the seemingly endless Macedonian stacks has hopped across the Bosporus, and in the east, some Persians have come to besiege Tarsus. Maybe they were tired of the carpets of their dead around Nicomedia...

Iobates and his firstborn lead the sally against the vastly outnumbered besiegers. Not sure if Vayaspara knows his maths. He should know that he's slightly screwed by now...

The Persians slink off to the north to form a battle line, frustratingly just out of range of our archers. The Cretans take off their oversized hats and jump up and down on them, literally hopping mad.

Our reinforcements – with oddly shortened spears – find their view of the slaughter to come frustratingly blocked by the city they're meant to be defending. At least they have popcorn.

Hang on... I don't think that's just a retreat to a better position. That bloody coward is running rather than facing overwhelming odds that would probably lead to his death. Some people... True to form, father and son spur their reluctant bodyguards in pursuit of a load of cowards.

Hardly the finest hour of either side... but the siege is lifted, meaning that Iobates is free to do what he does best (that's killing Seleucids, if you were in any doubt).

With his men freed and retrained, Iobates moves to shoo away a deaf Seleucid general and his invasion force.

The opposing forces sprawl across most of the map as the Armenian tourist force – which includes a handful of cataphracts – comes to join the fun.

The usual hail of arrows/stones/rocks/kitchen sinks rains down on the hapless attackers. It's not hard to figure out why my ranged units have so many chevrons...

Kassandros might be deaf, but he's no idiot (unlike most Seleucid generals, who seem to have been lobotomised at birth). He sends powerful forces to each flank and lets his thorakitai get their pila off before charging.

Despite our slight gradient advantage, we take heavy casualties. Kassandros commits his flanking units, and Iobates charges into battle with his usual gusto.

Over on our right flank, this movement is repeated by the prodromoi... whose casualties have been so high in the past that they're down to a single bronze chevron.

It doesn't take long for the Seleucid flanks to shatter as their centre grinds themselves to death on the Pergamene phalanx. Looks like a typical battle thus far. Half of Iobates' bodyguard has been killed... yep, typical.

Their deaf general has long since fled, and his army fares no better as they shatter. His Armenian allies have decided that this holiday isn't going to plan and scarper.

Some of the Seleucids manage to leg it to safety, but most of them are killed to death. Along with most of Iobates' bodyguard, but as they all had their wills written out (it's a requirement of the job now) no one raises much comment.

Noticing that the garrison of Antioch is weak, Iobates goes in for the kill, choosing to go for his normal wall-taking strategy rather than risk thousands of casualties at the gates. The spy is rather miffed. He gets handed a sack of popcorn and is told to get comfortable in a tower with a good view.

Back in Pergamon, Iobates' second son comes of age. He's no general yet, but he has potential. Glad of the chance to relax, King Philetaerus hands him command of the army and sends him to eradicate the Macedonian threat near Nicomedia. Nice easy first assignment, then. The Hellenics only have about four full stacks on the other side of the invisible bridge...

The young general arrays his forces in the standard Pergamene battle line as his spectators arrive. Inexplicably, there was no screenshot for the order of battle... must have forgotten. Bleh.

The Macedonian captain brings his skirmisher cavalry sniffing along the Pergamene line. They meet the standard arrow storm. My archers hate skirmisher cavalry almost as much as I do, it seems.

In a clear display of the superiority of Macedonian captainship over Seleucid generalship, their captain marches his entire line – which consists mostly of thureophoroi - up to the Pergamene phalanx and lets fly.

He used to be a good Macedonian captain. Then he took an arrow in the knee...

As the enemy moves in, we start to take numerous casualties from those javelins... it's times like this that I just wish I could order an all-out charge with my entire line. A bit hard when you're lugging a massive sarissa around, though.

The Macedonian left breaks, though our centre is now taking heavy casualties from javelins.

Some politikoi clearly have their brains inserted the wrong way round, as they managed to get snagged by a phalanx. They promptly enter a competition to see who can die the fastest.

Idomeneos gets stuck in happily. Like father, like son, eh...? Pidytes will be the better general, but this one will be more than adequate to lead armies when he's not off governing some city. Unlike his uncle Aristarchos, whose campaigning is limited by that nanny of his.

With their captain dead and their flanks eradicated, the entire Macedonian army legs it.

A textbook victory, though those javelins hit hard. Good thing that Philetaerus passed on his doctor (and, weirdly, his hunting dog) to his grandson.

Siege of Tarsus? What siege of Tarsus? Meh, my son can handle himself against endless hordes of Persians, I'm sure. Attack!

Expect normal siege tactics (a euphemism for very, very, VERY slow assaults aiming for minimal casualties).

A problem... those Agyraspids aren't about to surrender the town centre easily. The best troops in the Seleucid army, in a place where their morale won't break... not an easy fight.

Many years later – thankful that they invested in massive stocks of popcorn – the waiting Pergamene army sees movement on the walls.

A few sneaky hoplites enter the city and attempt to give Kassandros a poke or two. They almost succeed, but his bodyguards, unfortunately, have no problems hearing a mob of a hundred and eighty heavily-armoured Greeks rushing up a street with spears raised.

Kassandros takes quite a few prods before leaping from his horse in a frantic attempt to find his dropped hearing aid.

Eventually, our forces hold the walls and every ranged unit we have makes a beeline for the city centre.

The hapless Agyraspids are bombarded no matter where they turn. Methinks this wasn't what they imagined when they signed up...

The cream of the Seleucid army takes an incredible battering, but eventually succumbs. Iobates is eager to try his hand, but his bodyguards mutiny and keeps him held back until there's no danger of unnecessary death for any of them.

Victory, and Antioch, the capital of the Seleucid Empire, is ours. Years of being under overwhelming attack by the Seleucids... are likely to continue, as they've probably got several stacks marching to retake the Huge City right now. Iobates' response is to 'let them come'. Of course, he would say that.

The money from sacking the capital will certainly let us expand economically... but methinks Iobates is just doing that because he's a merciless bastard who didn't kill anyone in the last battle and is now trying to make up for that.

Let's just hope I haven't overstretched myself... in any case, expect a lot of sieges of Antioch in future. And Tarsus, it seems. And Nicomedia... well, if the entire world is ganging up on Pergamon, let them come! Admittedly, sieges are a bit boring to read, so I'll do my best to force field battles... anyhow, I'm back. Any feedback is always welcome, particularly as I feel this update was a tad shoddy.

Whey-hay, it's back! At long last!

Great update as usual, very entertaining, good job!
    Traditionalist Catholic and Proud! And no, I'm not a paedophile, fool.
    The only reason I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition was because...
    NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!!

Laetus

its back its back! (dances a jig)

Ah, good to see that I haven't been completely forgotten. Anyhow, this update seems a bit late... all I can do is plead laziness and hope the update makes up for it. Next one shouldn't be so long in coming...

Chapter XV: Don't They Ever Give Up?

That is a LOT of stacks ganging up on the far side of the Bosporus. Idomeneos, too wary to retrain his army in Nicomedia, will have his work cut out to stop them...

And in the east, things aren't much better. Tarsus is besieged by superior Persian forces, and Seleucid armies around Antioch are looking frenzied.

Still, they're a threat that has to be dealt with. The Seleucids have a dictionary full of names they have for Iobates - none of them particularly nice – so who better to deal with them than him? He's always one to ignore being decisively outnumbered...

He sends most of his hoplites to his right flank. Not that they'll help if that 2500-strong Seleucid army descends at once.

Agis orders his army to close. This is going to be an epic one.

An all-out charge is ordered. The Pergamene battle line has withstood charges like this hundreds of times... but numbers and quality are against them.

As Iobates gets stuck in on the right flank, he sends his thureophoroi to hold the line against some hated Median cavalry.

Well, this was always going to happen. Agyraspids chew up the militia in the centre with ease. Some few of these men will remember the days when the Kingdom was small and unassuming; those days are long gone now. Like most of their comrades.

The phalanx shatters and the Agyraspids turn sideways to roll up the rest. With the rest of the Seleucids approaching, this isn't looking good... and most of the army haven’t even written their wills.

That's what I call point-blank range. The Cretans are really earning those chevrons of theirs now.

The enemy reinforcements arrive at what used to be an orderly battle line. The Armenian tourists have their shiny cataphracts out in force.

The Pergamene left flank is safe – for now – so our elite armoured phalangites head over to attempt to rescue the centre.

Iobates spurs on his horse and his reluctant bodyguard, challenging Captain Karayan to single combat. The Armenian cheats by bringing the rest of his unit, so Iobates ropes his bodyguards in. Elite cavalry against elite cavalry... this won't end well.

Even the Medians are getting stuck in as yet more enemy phalanxes arrive to tear apart our own exhausted men. In the distance, a handful of Pergamene hoplites and thureophoroi stubbornly resist against unwinnable odds.

The battle is so confused by this point that we don't know what enemy general is dead. It certainly isn't Captain Karayan; Iobates has been 'advancing in the other direction' for some time now, due to his bodyguard’s pleading with him. Fortunately, this gave him time to order his archers to join the fray as light infantry. Their numbers could prove decisive.

Fortunately, the news of a general's death causes a few Seleucid units to break. When you're drowning, you'll grab anything that floats in hope...

With the help of his hoplites, Iobates challenges Captain Karayan to a rematch. The Armenian dies like a true man, fighting to the end. Unfortunately, so does most of Iobates' bodyguard.

The dead outnumber the living on the battlefield. We might be winning; your answer would depend on who you ask.

It turns out we won, though casualties are staggering. The doctor does what he can, but 1200 brave Greeks won't see another dawn. Even Iobates seemed drained as he slides from his horse and congratulates his last two bodyguards on their survival. But at least he can take heart; not once did any man of his army rout. Maybe it's because he's got a list of morale-boosting traits as long as my arm...

Over in Tarsus Pidytes prepares to give some Persians the gift of Pergamene hospitality.

He forms his phalanx into the usual welcoming committee and settles down to wait.

The Pontics take enormous casualties even before they reach the walls... who needs Cretans, eh?

Eastern spearmen make it onto the wall, to be greeted with enthusiasm and numerous sharp objects.

They take the gateway – we left it unguarded on purpose – and their army charges.

Ever think this was a good idea?

The Persians have entered a communal competition, it seems; who can die the fastest? We're happy to oblige. Pidytes and his bodyguard place bets.

Despite suffering from Repetitive Death Syndrome, the horsemen still get off their javelins, inflicting casualties on the archers.

Captain Taxmaspada saves me the effort from writing his name again by graciously getting impaled.

We took casualties, but Tarsus is safe. Pidytes strokes his beard and is forced to decide what head he wants to send to his father. He's spoilt for choice.

He might have spent most of his retirement in the Library of Pergamon, but King Philetaerus will always be remembered as the man who started it all. When Pergamon is the centre of the world, all will remember him as the first Emperor of the Pergamene Empire. And pigeons will thank him for having so many statues for them to defecate upon.

Without even sending condolences, the Macedonians attack. How inconsiderate. Idomeneos is forced to break off his mourning for his grandfather and lead his elite army in the defence of his homeland. There's no one else in the area to stop them, after all; Aristarchos has gone back to govern Pergamon and taken his nanny with him.

Fortunately, Idomeneos has been reading his father's manuals on war, and can acquit himself well despite his lack of tactical experience.

He might have a fight on his hands, though. Foot Companions and Kestros slingers are not to be sniffed at.

Eumenes doesn't seem like the most original of generals; his tactic seems to consist of pointing his men in a certain direction and expecting them to trample anything in their way.

His crude tactic simply doesn't work against the best army in the East.

Both flanks are rolled up and Idomeneos leads his hoplites into a flanking manoeuvre; not that there's much left to flank, as only the Foot Companions and a few others haven't bottled it yet.

There couldn't really have been a simpler victory. Basic tactics failed in the face of utter Pergamene supremacy. Eumenes will probably try and steal of a few of King Iobates' books to study...

They try again. Idomeneos is slightly better-prepared this time, having earned his first command star. Daddy would be proud... if daddy wasn't so occupied with a load of Seleucids trying to kill him.

The positions are exactly the same, though the lineup is different.

The Macedonians are lower-quality than last time, but their captain might have a shred of sense about him.

It would seem not. A staggered charge isn't really a good tactic against an unbreakable phalanx.

As before, the flanks are rolled up and our hoplites slam into the rear of the engaged Macedonians.

As the enemy retreats, Idomeneos, remembering what his father wrote, orders a pursuit.

Captain Keyx escapes. Most of his men do not. Any more?

...Yes.

Here we go again...

And again...

I really don't see what the Macedonians are getting out of this. Maybe they're trying to find good runners for their Olympic team?

Captain Lysimachos, however, won't be heading to the Olympics this year.

His men collapse and are swept aside. The Macedonians stop their attacks for now, having finally learnt their lesson.

Unfortunately, their stacks on the other side of the narrow sea stop Idomeneos from retraining. Not that he'd be able to afford retraining anyway. Yes, right now, it's a choice between building new buildings or retraining troops. It could be said that the economy has been better... we need to conquer, but how can we do that while under constant attack? There might be dark times ahead for Pergamon... fortunately, however, the new King is the best general to have walked the earth since the days of Alexander.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

I am aghast that I have never read this before, OK not my usual mod but Pergamon is my favourite faction. +rep because I'm sure it deserves some, now to catch up...

lol nice aar.very funny to read

I think a very big thank you is in order to DimeBagHo for only having one land crossing on that stretch of water, unlike in EB...

Quote Originally Posted by Diomede View Post
    I think a very big thank you is in order to DimeBagHo for only having one land crossing on that stretch of water, unlike in EB...
    Yes, that's for definite... the Kingdom would be overrun and there'd be endless sieges of Pergamon. Very nice that there's only one land bridge that serves as a perfect bottleneck... XD

Anyhow, it's good to see some good response, so here's your next update:

Chapter XVI: Pergamon against The World

The youngest son of King Iobates comes of age. Apparently, his father took an immature boy with him to a war zone. Well, he'll now have the unenviable job of governing Antioch, the biggest city in the Empire. Akrisias himself is a good administrator, but the gods seem to have a lot of fun with him.

As his son settles into his new role with apprehension, King Iobates moves to clear the surrounding area of Seleucids. It's his first battle as King, but it certainly won't be his last; he has Aristarchos managing the day-to-day runnings of the Kingdom and Empire while he sticks to what he does best.

We outnumber the enemy by over two to one, but they have pachyderms. We'll see what they're made of. They've impaled themselves often Pergamene sarissas often enough for our men not to fear them...

Autesion orders a confused, timid advance, making good target practise for our grizzled Cretans.

As his men form themselves into neat rows, the Seleucid general gets turned into a rather less neat pincushion.

In the face of this stupidity, the rest of his army promptly decides that the pay isn't good enough.

They'll be back, but for now, there are no Seleucids north of Antioch.

After moving his army in a position to attack the enemy south of the city, Seleucid generals Thessalos and Ermias beat Iobates to the attack and throw 5000 men at him.

That gradient... isn't good. Iobates curses the gods; it's his son they're meant to use as their plaything, not the geography of his battlefields.

Manoeuvring doesn't really help much... and coming over the hill are their reinforcements.

The Seleucid right engages rapidly, throwing away the advantage of their javelins. The first sign of good news...

Unfortunately, Thessalos has a good general's head on his shoulders. He orders his men to fire javelins and leads the charge himself, rupturing the Pergamene phalanx with his charge. The casualties are piling up already. Not good.

The King leads his newly-expanded bodyguard into battle. They'll be sorely tested today...

Some hoplites drive off a unit and turn to flank another, but it's too late to free up our right flank...

The army of Ermias has arrived. Iobates gets stuck in with his customary (and dreaded) zeal.

Our centre has taken untenable casualties, but Thessalos pays the ultimate price for his bravery. His heroic death breaks the morale of many of his men.

The Pergamene left flank manages to turn and salvage what's left of our centre, while the battle on the right rages on.

A sandstorm rather rudely appears, obscuring Iobates' view. Not that he'd be able to see much; piles of dead bodies surround the Pergamene King. Many belong to his hapless bodyguard, but many more belong to the enemy.

The storm covers the retreat of the remnants of the enemy, but it doesn't cover our butcher's bill; most of our cavalry lies dead, along with many of our elite hoplites. If these kind of battles keep happening, then they'll end up being more Pyrrhic than heroic.

After weathering that battle, Iobates urges his wearied men into one last battle. Well, one last battle before the next retraining, anyway.

Reinforcements? Popcorn-scoffing spectators, more like. Akrisias is too busy interpreting supposedly divine omens to take any notes from a master of warfare.

The usual hail of arrows/rocks/kitchen sinks greet the Seleucids as they advance.

Gyras is no fool; he knows the phalanx is weak and tells his thorakitai to use as many javelins as they can before charging.

Unfortunately for him, he doesn't have enough men; his left flank is routed and his right easily contained. Seeing this, he orders a tactical retreat; best to preserve his army to fight another day. Iobates, of course, orders a pursuit.

You... idiots. Now that's an annoying glitch. The retreating troops slaughter the spectators, who don't even lift a finger in their own defence. Have they ALL been struck silly by the gods? I thought that was just Akrisias...

An unsatisfactory resolution, but at least now the King can secure a much-needed retraining for his army.

The Persians, absent from the north for a while, make their presence known. An allied Armenian army is also sniffing around. I wish they'd hurry up and start fighting Scythians... but no, they're pacifists. Except when it comes to Pergamenes, of course.

This army also needs retraining, but unlike the King's ragtag bunch, these blokes are all professionals with some of the best training in the east.

Captain Ardumanish can't say the same. Quality isn't a strong point in his massive army.

As his archers are shot to pieces, his collection of levies is cut to pieces on the Pergamene phalanx. Lots of pieces.

Having your own comrades running through your unit with a suspicious dark streak running down their trousers can't be good for concentration.

It's quality, not quantity, that counts. The Persians are shattered on the anvil of our battle line. We don't even need a hammer...

They seem to be good at running, these Persians. Unlike their captain, who gets killed to death with brisk efficiency.

A simple, easy victory. Idomeneos even lost less than half his bodyguard. A rarity in Pergamene battles lately.

After going 40 years without an epithet, Iobates get two in one year. He decides that 'the Conqueror' (from 'Conquering Hero') is too common, so instead opts for 'the Olympian'. That would explain why he's still here, unlike most of his bodyguards... the man must have gone through several hundred in his time as a general.

This somehow makes his sons more respected. One would think they'd want to step out of his shadow... though, admittedly, it IS a big shadow. Pidytes is planning an expedition north to get some glory for himself.

Determined to do his father proud, Idomeneos brings Varoujan of the Weird Hat to battle, along with his Persian allies. We're heavily outnumbered, but win this battle and he'll get the retraining that his army so badly needs.

The gradient favours us. Which is nice.

We'll need it. Cataphract archers outrange everything except our Cretans, and can more than hold their own against our heavy cavalry.

And, of course, He of the Weird Hat would have to bring some Scythians as long as well... I HATE Scythians.

Varoujan commits his centre hesitantly, holding back his flanks, probably waiting for his allies to bring their troops into the mix.

It would seem that the feared cataphract archers are as vulnerable to heavy cavalry swarms as any horse archer...

Skirmishers are thinning our ranks, but they won't find a way through even a thinned Pergamene phalanx.

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for our cavalry. Maybe it's the power of his hat, but Varoujan and his Scythians are tearing Idomeneos apart.

Hoplites are sent to help, just as the bulk of the enemy force arrives.

I can't blame Idomeneos for running; the poor sod's lost all his bodyguard and is getting shot in the back by 100 horsemen. Iobates, of course, will probably disown him.

The pressure on the phalanx is immense, but it's only crumbling in one specific place...

Cappadocian cavalry are amongst the best heavy cavalry in the world, and their charge appears to have addled our weary troops.

Infantry pours in through the gap, attempting to exploit it. But it's too late; our surviving cavalry is already wreaking havoc in the ranks of their skirmishers, and they've lost too many men.

Faced with what they might well see as superhumans, the allied armies turn and run. Varoujan, clutching his precious hat to his head, joins them in their flight.

The Cappadocian cavalry try to inflict some casualties on our invaluable archers...

...they fail. Now THAT is humiliation.

We win, but there isn't much to like about this victory; Idomeneos fled, and the casualties we've taken are so extreme that some units will be automatically disbanded. Retraining is now so essential that the Bosporus will have to be held by Nicomedia's garrison for a while.

A look at the bigger picture: I appear to have missed the memo about Egypt's defeat, but they're gone. The Seleucids, meanwhile, have plenty of people surrounding them to pound on... but they're only at war with the rapidly-dying Eastern Kingdoms and the poor little Empire of Pergamon. Oh, and the superpowers in the West aren't much use; Rome, Macedon and Scythia have all ganged up on poor little Thrace.

The full fury of a massive Empire will soon be directed at us, I'm sure. And now that the Persians are resurgent... trying times are ahead for the Kingdom. Iobates might be a superhuman of Olympian proportions, but he's only one man...

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

I liked this: " Unlike their captain, who gets killed to death with brisk efficiency" - as opposed to killed to not quite death perhaps?

Also, have you ever tried making the phalanxes deeper, I thought that the formations make them 8 or 10 deep? I know it makes your line narrower but I thought a deeper phalanx is harder to break. I may have experiment a little.

Just wondered, excellent update, hate to think what would happen if Iobates got killed though, one of his sons would definitely need to step up to the mark!

No, no, killing to near-death is what happens to Iobates every time most of his bodyguard gets killed. It's fortunate that he's got a lot of hit points... I think most of the chevrons in his unit actually come from him, especially given that his bodyguard often dips to single figures...

Anyhow, I'd make the phalanx deeper if I could, but given the size of the armies I'm facing, I'd be constantly outflanked. As it is, the phalanx only gets penetrated on rare occasions, and it's never collapsed completely. Besides, it's the militia that are the weak link; they'll be replaced as soon as possible.

Well, Pidytes is a good enough general... but given how resilient Iobates is, I wouldn't bet on him dying any time soon. Though if he does, then I won't bet on his army holding like they have in some of the fights. His morale-boosting traits are decisive sometimes.

Laetus

More bodyguards for Ioabates? i wonder if Pergamum will run out of parchment, with all the wills their writing...all hail King Ioabates! most invincible-ist pergamite!

Really enjoyed this AAR, but there hasn't been a post in two months so I'm assuming it's dead.

magraev's Avatar Biarchus

This is a great AAR and a great mod!

Right, methinks an explanation is in order, though it's a simple one; I just lost interest in RTW for a while, and so this campaign stagnated a tad. Unforgivable, I know, but then I got back into it, found this campaign again, and... well, as you can see, I've decided to reboot this AAR and hope it lasts for more than a few months this time. It was dead, but it's come back to life. Apologies for the wait (that's if anyone is still around who cares).

Anyhow, the least I can do is give you an update straight off the bat, so here's one:

Chapter XVII: Striking North

The Macedonians decide to try their luck against Captain Meidias's detachment, sent to guard the Bosporus while Idomeneos's army gets a much-needed retraining.

Fortunately, their force is smaller than normal... but so is ours, with none of the leadership of a Pergamene general. Though, given Idomeneos's shameful performance in his last battle, perhaps that's no bad thing.

Meidias isn't presented with too many problems; his opposite number orders in the frontal attacks so favoured by the Macedonians on this battlefield.

Unfortunately, Captain Antiphon does possess some degree of tactical nous, sending infantry around to flank our unusually short line.

Nothing much comes of it, however, as our blood brethren from across the Aegean Pond don't seem to be interested in doing much except run, die, and defecate themselves.

Too bad we don't have any cavalry, or even a suicidal Pergamene general and his bodyguard...

Still, the invasion is repulsed by a garrison never intended to see action on the field of battle. Not bad...

Over in the East, Pidytes has finally scraped together enough men to strike north into the Pontic lands in a limited offensive operation, seeking to take advantage of their recent bloodying in Nicomedia. He lacks the numbers to conquer them, but he should be able to cause some trouble and build up a reputation of his own.

He's learnt the value of good archers from his father and so thus most of his force have bows; unfortunately, the Persians seem disinclined to move.

They're probably quivering in terror, wondering what the son of the feared Iobates might do to their land and their women.

This terror seems to stupefy them into standing still as Pidytes moves his archers into range, grumbling over the lack of long-range Syrians or Cretans. He'd need much more than a crowbar and a silver tongue to pry them from his father's army, though.

As their skirmishers leg it, some of their infantry tries a limited attack.

Over on our left flank, a bunch of militia try to flank our phalanx.

The skilled Pergamene phalanx is so disdainful of this rabble that they neatly reorder their line unhurriedly. The rest of the Pontic army has had enough and runs for the border.

It's not decisive, but it's whittling down their forces. With this few men, however, Pidytes doubts he can win a decisive engagement.

Down south, King Iobates decides to shoo off a Seleucid army led by a bloke whose name I refuse to type, given that I would probably have to check back to this screenshot constantly to see if I've got it right.

A rocky feature in the middle of the battlefield will disrupt any formation attempting to pass through. Iobates starts to recount a few of his previous battles involving similar features. His bodyguard know it's the last thing they might hear...

The armies move within skirmishing range.

Whomp. These militia will need replacing soon, but they can still hold the battle line steadily enough against unsupported hoplites.

The Seleucids seem rather non-committal today...

Agyraspids get stuck in...

...but our experienced phalanx easily holds long enough for our cavalry to hammer into the anvil.

Elsewhere, another phalangite takes a heavy beating from pila before the thorakitai charge.

They're soon driven off by another hammer-and-anvil. Iobates likes all this textbook stuff.

One of the few remaining Seleucid infantry units chuck their pila at our slingers. Iobates is fast becoming to view these slingers as inferior to archers anyhow, and plans to ship them off to Pidytes so he can replace them with locally-raised Syrian archers.

The rest of the Seleucid army, having run out of popcorn, buggers off.

Not a decisive victory; that captain of theirs survives, and so the threat of me actually having to write his name persists.

Pidytes reinforces his army with locally levied Greeks and some light cavalry sent by his father before confronting a much smaller Persian force.

Those Bronze Shields can definitely do some damage, but we can run circles around them.

I always thought using light cavalry to pepper phalangites with javelins was a Persian tactic...

They don't seem to like it. Wonder why...

Hardly a glorious victory, but 127 dead Bronze Shields is 127 dead Bronze Shields. Pidytes angrily foams at the mouth for not having killed more, but his bodyguard point-blank refused to follow him in a charge.

After reorganising and reinforcing his army, Iobates marches out to secure his north flank. Yes, those are 1200 armoured phalangites you see in his army. He's finally getting high-quality troops...

The gradient, however, is against them. Iobates blames Akrisias for misinterpreting a sign from the gods, of which he receives over thirty every day. Apparently.

His army can close rapidly, however, and again rocks split the Seleucid force. Going rock-climbing in heavy armour would be thirsty work in this heat...

Ptesion – a mercenary from Baktria, it seems – hurls a chunk of his army into our left flank.

He also sends cataphracts crashing through our rightmost phalanx, which is still standard rank-and-file infantry.

As our phalanx crumbles, the Baktrian sends in infantry to exploit, but Iobates busily gets stuck in while sending his hoplites around to flank, keeping a wary eye on those elephants in the background.

Elsewhere, Agyraspids march up and begin calmly snacking on more of our rank-and-file.

Having dealt with the cataphracts, Iobates charges the Agyraspids' rear with his usual gusto, while his hoplites turn and throw themselves at the thoughtfully exposed arses of more Seleucids.

Ptesion escapes with his life, but any of his men do not.

Oddly, instead of fleeing into Seleucid Mesopotamia, they leg it onto a boat. Unfortunately, the entirety of our puny navy is over on the Aegean coast protecting Pergamon from Macedonian blockades.

Iobates moves south, noting that Sidon is lightly garrisoned and wondering if he can sneakily snatch another Seleucid city. Taking the Levant would certainly solve our economical woes...

We outnumber our foes heavily, and it shows. Pergamene soldiers start making bets on how much urine they'll find soaking the rocks of the Seleucid positions...

It's a bet they'll probably never resolve, as the enemy moves up to higher ground.

Lining up with his centre standing at a rather hilarious forty-degree angle, Iobates marvels at his phalanx's sense of balance while ordering his archers to pour hail down on their opposite numbers.

A sandstorm arrives, failing to conceal the enemy milling around aimlessly. Probably too busy trying to keep their balance.

They shift out of range and don't budge. Iobates sends his slingers forwards to lure them out.

Thorakitai sent to deal with them rout, having dealt only a single casualty.

Captain Arkesilaos decides to get involved personally, only to find that most of his unit has been mysteriously killed to death while he wasn't looking.

Our hoplites' reputation precedes them. At the first sign of a charge, the enemy turns and runs as fast as they can.

Growing impatient, Iobates forms a cavblob and goes hunting.

Most of the Seleucid army also appears to have gone hunting, but in this case it was over the red line in search of a McDonalds or something. Or maybe they're all dead.

The usual chase ensues.

Iobates calls it a 'distinctly average victory'. His phalanx would agree, but they're still staggering around, trying to adjust to not having to stand on a forty-degree slope holding massive sticks in heavy armour.

Realising that his garrison at Antioch is far too weak to hold out while he takes Sidon, the King orders a retreat for retraining. Even so, he will not give up on taking the Levant; the Pergamene economy is ailing, with too many armies to support even with the prosperous Kingdom untouched by war. As long as Idomeneos can hold the Bosporus it will remain so, but we'll have to rely on the offensive operations of Iobates and Pidytes to bring in cash.

Anyhow, here's hoping I can actually get you another update without making you wait ten years... as always, feedback of any kind at all is much appreciated.

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Wow, never knew of this AAR before.I am glad i sow it now.
    All i can say is that this is a great AAR in my oppinion.
    Good luck and hope you'll kick the buts of those Macedonians and seleucids, as well as the pontic scum.
    Cheers Predator!(btw some rep for you is a must.So i gave you some)

They'll be getting a kicking, all right, as soon as I can get to my own turn. Yes, the following update consists entirely of AI turns...

Anyhow, I should note that I played this campaign for a while before deciding to resurrect this AAR, so as a consequence I've played up to 243 BC. That means I have a lot of updates to get through before I actually catch up to my campaign... still, here's hoping I won't have forgotten too much about what happened.

Chapter XVIII: Under Attack (Again)

It's Karpos! Remember him? No, probably not, but he still smells as fishy as he used to. He is probably slightly disturbed to find Akrisias talking to a potted plant that he has mistaken for a divine being.

Anyhow, Idomeneos has retrained his force in time to meet another Macedonian attack. Having heard of his son's fleeing in his last battle, Iobates has sent word, threatening him with the nanny of Aristarchos if Idomeneos ever runs from battle again. Suitably cowed, the Pergamene general takes comfort in the fact that he has never run from men in black.

Usual deployment. Idomeneos can do this in his sleep by now.

The usual hail of arrows greets the Macedonians skirmishers.

A full-frontal attack appears to be just what the doctor ordered...

Captain Artemisios does a fair impression of a pincushion.

With their captain dead and casualties mounting, the Macedonians shatter.

Idomeneos and his large force of cavalry get stuck in.

The resolve of the fleeing troops seems to stiffen, however...

Still, some politikoi provide some light amusement by blundering into our hoplites.

Some Macedonians are having a nice stroll when they feel an odd sensation of cold steel entering various parts of their back...

Another victory. The confidence of Idomeneos is restored.

Which is good, as our Hellenic cousins try again...

Idomeneos is also a good governor a well as a soldier. He starts to do some surplus paperwork from Nicomedia while his well-drilled and experienced soldiers move into positions they've occupied a thousand times before.

He looks up, finds that the Macedonians are proceeding as planned, then goes back to investigating the suspiciously unsuspicious accounts of the city's quartermasters.

Stuffing the paperwork under his helmet, he sheathes his quill and draws his sword, getting stuck in in true Pergamene fashion.

The Macedonians suffer heavy casualties under the sarissas of our experienced meatgrinder.

Another captain who won't live to report his failure... wonder what happens to those captains who DO make it back to the other side? Do the Macedonians have massive Gulags set up for them? They have to be massive indeed to hold them all.

Another victory. Losses are negligible, and Idomeneos got a lot of paperwork out of the way.

Over in the east, his less bookish brother Pidytes is brought to battle by a Persian force of equal size. It was Vayaspara who, fighting alongside his Armenian allies, that nearly broke Idomeneos's army, but now he has far less troops to call on, and Pidytes would rather drink the blood of his horse than flee from battle.

Pidytes anchors his right flank on a rock formation and awaits his enemy.

The Persians have been hit hard in this war; their army consists mostly of inferior light infantry.

Their light cavalry and their Scythian mercenaries take a pounding from Hellenic archers.

Presented with such nice lightly armoured blobs of enemy infantry, our archers can barely contain their glee as they fire.

They charge in haphazardly, relying in superior numbers to break our phalanx. It worked near Nicomedia, but then they outnumbered Idomeneos's tired army two to one; similar tactics will never work here.

Axemen and lightly-armed mercenary infantry are slaughtered by the dozen, impaled on our sarissas.

Emphasising Greek superiority in all areas, their Scythian cavalry is caught and mauled by hoplites.

Vayaspara is run down attempting to flee the battlefield, Pidytes claiming his head to send to his brother.

Victory is complete. Are there any more forces left in the area?

Ah. Yes. Still, Pidytes picked a good time to earn another command star!

If it wasn't for the trees that have rather rudely planted themselves on our battle line, this could be the same battlefield.

However, Captain Artaphardia shows more tactical knowledge than Vayaspara, and moves to flank the rock formation. Pidytes pulls his forces back to avoid being surrounded.

Our prodromoi and the enemy heavy cavalry exchange javelins. Some of the more dexterous cavalymen grab an enemy projectile and hurl it back at them. They could make a game of it if they weren't trying to kill each other.

The bulk of the Persian army advances through a hail of arrows. It is of far higher quality the the last one, as well as outnumbering Pidytes' force.

Seething hoplites counter-charge traitors in the pay of the Persians, ignoring the Cappadocian cavalry to their flanks. I have no idea what the bloke on the left is doing.

This will definitely not be easy. The Persians have enough men to engage both flanks while still applying enough pressure to buckle the phalanx from the front.

A stroke of luck; arrows cut down Captain Artaphardia.

Dismayed by the death of their captain and the usual resistance of the Pergamene phalanx, the lighter Persian infantry legs it... though their elite Bronze Shields keep coming.

Fortunately, the gradient is on our side, though the situation on the flanks is still worrying.

Bronze Shields, it seems, are not Agyraspids; under pressure, some break, and most of the remaining Persian infantry breaks with them. Instead of hunting down stragglers, Pidytes rides to the aid of his prodromoi, who are being massacred by Cappadocian cavalry.

The remaining Bronze Shields throw down their poles and run for it.

Pidytes rides after them with his customary desire for no survivors.

Nearly five hundred escape, but it is undoubtedly a great victory; outnumbered and, on paper outclassed, Pidytes has delivered a victory worthy of his father.

...Yes, I just made an entire update out of one defensive turn. Shows just how much I get attacked, eh? Next update will hopefully be coming soon.

Seems a bit quiet in here... maybe an update will brighten things up again. And, to clarify, this AAR won't be dying again unless something happens to me, my computer or my Internet connection (or, Heaven forbid, my save file); given how many screenshots I've got, I've got at least six updates to write before I actually need to play anything again, so expect updates with some regularity for a while. Now, enough of me blathering...

Chapter XIX: Bloody Expansion

Pidytes has somehow shot up to a ten-star general for this attack. I think he got an upgrade to his 'Good Commander' trait as well as 'Victor in Asia' and a few other things. And he's a 'Good Attacker', as well. Ah, well, I'm not complaining. Yes, his small army is going for Mazaka; if he takes it, he'll tear the throat out of the Persian nation.

It will not be easy, however; King Pairisades has a strong army with him, advancing quickly.

Captain Eupator does not wait for his king, however, impatient for glory of his own.

Bronze Shields are more than a match for our standard phalangites, but not with this much reduced strength.

Especially not when Greek hoplites are ramming their spears up various orifices...

Pidytes, eager to meet King Pairisades without distractions, hammers into Eupator's force.

The captain's exuberance costs him his life as he's trampled underfoot, a common experience for Persians fighting Pidytes.

Cappadocian cavalry gets in amongst our archers. Their armour won't do them much good at point-blank range...

Pairisades' forces arrive. A motley collection of infantry try to force our hoplites to breaking point.

They fail as Pidytes makes another of his tasty Persian sandwiches.

It's not a sandwich he'll live to enjoy if those phalangites get any closer...

His archers do their duty well, however. Soon, the Persian king's army is in tatters and he orders a retreat, hoping reinforcements come in time to save Mazaka.

Pidytes grimaces despite his victory; a prolonged siege in enemy territory with an under-strength army isn't a prospect he relishes.

Pairisades gets his wish; Armenian allies turn up to break the siege. Pidytes decides to go ahead and assault the city anyway.

His strategy is torn to shreds within seconds as the Armenian army appears behind his secondary assault force.

They drop their ram and turn to face the horse-lovers, bravely hoping to buy some time with their lives. Fortunately, Pidytes long ago made it standard policy for all soldiers in his army to write their wills before the campaign started.

The phalangites get a hammering from javelins before they even get a pike bloody.

Pidytes throws his hoplites in at the west gate, hoping to capture the north gate to let his embattled forces in.

Too late; the phalanx is shattered and the archers smashed by cavalry; only our prodromoi have a hope of getting away.

Pidytes quickly rides around to capture the gate, letting in his cavalry and the remaining phalanx, closing the gates in the faces of the Armenians. They have another way in, however...

The remaining Pergamene forces move quickly, desperate to capture the city before the Armenian hammer batters its way through to save its ally.

Our strongest phalanx bars the gate, nervously awaiting the horde...

As Pairisades pulls back to his town centre, his allies smash their way through.

Taking heavy casualties from our sarissas, the Armenians are too late to save the Persian king. Pidytes might even consider giving him a decent burial if he survives the battle.

The phalanx is crushed as we make increasingly frantic efforts to clear the town centre of Persians.

Any advancing Armenians have to run a gauntlet of Greek arrows.

Pidytes sets up a multi-layered defence, prepared to hold the city or die trying.

Out of arrows, the archers are forced to act as diversionary light infantry and take casualties as a result.

It was a close-run thing, that's for sure; another few minutes and the Armenians might have broken us. As it is, even with the efforts of his doctor, Pidytes doubts he can hold Mazaka with such a mauled force.

The people are put to the sword to ensure their obedience; with such a small army, Pidytes cannot waste any troops to help keep the peace, and the money will be put to good use back in the Kingdom.

And before he even has enough time to put his feet up...

Say it quietly, however, but I think this attack has broken the back of the Persians. They've lost their king and one of their biggest cities, and most of their fighting around Nicomedia has been done by the Armenians for a long time. There's plenty of THEM, though...

Near Antioch, Iobates cannot spare any time to help his embattled son; he has a war of his own to fight.

He is vastly outnumbered, but what are numbers to a Pergamene general? We have quality on our side...

...maybe not.

Still, we'll kill as many as we can or die trying. The customary hail of arrows greets the Seleucid advance.

Thorakitai move in, making their usual impression.

Cataphracts move in, making their usual impression. The difference in effectiveness is marked.

The left flank is heavily engaged.

The right has seen off the initial attack, but there's plenty more where they came from...

Led by their general, the Seleucid army reforms and prepares for a hammer blow against our centre. Iobates moves his archers back a few inches as a precautionary measure.

Our right flank is also heavily engaged...

Our flanking hoplites find themselves getting flanked. Methinks they won't live too long...

The threatening pachyderms finally make their move.

As they happily play toss the hoplite, Iobates and his bodyguard prepare to take on big grey blobs that are many times their size. Not for the first time, his quivering bodyguards question the sanity of their leader. The hoplites are just screaming at them to make a move on as they get chucked from one ivory tusk to another. Those elephants are definitely loving this... for now.

It turns into one big grey mosh... I took this 'plan Betarius' from Iniquitus the Third, but 'drowning them in our own corpses' does seem to work... sometimes.

Elsewhere, the Pergamene line has stood up well to the Seleucid numbers; the armoured phalangites are certainly earning their bread. The enemy starts to retreat in disarray.

Iobates crushes three Seleucid armies, but the loss of so many experienced hoplites gives him cause for concern. What's left of his bodyguard is just happy to be alive.

Giving them no time to rest, he moves to ruthlessly remove any more trespassers. He's very territorial, you see.

The reinforcements arrive at an awkward place, but Iobates laughs off the idea of a mere 741 Seleucids having any impact.

He takes some cavalry and goes off to make a sandwich as part of his line reforms.

The Seleucid centre takes many casualties even before they reach our line.

With the death of their captain, they decide to leg it.

Iobates wishes he'd killed more, but knows in his heart that his army badly needs a rest.

So, will Pidytes keep Mazaka? Let's just say that despite being so far ahead, even I don't know the answer to that yet. So expect lots of desperate battles involving a ragtag army led by the heir to the throne of the Kingdom and Empire of Pergamon...

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Nice updates so far.We'll be waiting for some more.
    Cheers Predator!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast