Thread: Sickness / Disease and its role in MTW2?

Default Sickness / Disease and its role in MTW2?

I wonder if CA is making sickness play a role in the game.

Whenever troops were gathered in large numbers, sickness broke out after a very short time. Most armies at that time had more casualties from sickness than from fighting. That made it very difficult to keep an medieval army together for any prolonged time.

Cheers,

I hope they will add it. It would contribute to making the game less linear and less forseeable for the player. In real life diseases mattered all the time and you would only hardly go to war having the plague in your army and cities...

Diseases don't make too much of a profit to finance large armies...
    From the pride and arrogance of the Romans nothing is sacred. But the vindictive gods are now at hand. On this spot we must either conquer, or die with glory (Boudiccas Speech, Tacitus, Annals, XIV, 35)

under Patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, Granddaughter of the Black Prince.

Faenaris's Avatar Son of Dorn

I just hope that disease spreads on its own. In RTW, one city could have the plague, but you could only infect another by using a spy. There would lots of travellers going from city to city and there always were huge chances that an entire region (not one city) could be infected by plague and disease. So, I hope they include a "chain-reaction" effect, effectivly crippling your economy. Not like in RTW, where one city did not make a difference.
    Son of Acutulus, member of The House of the Wolf / Signature by King Mong

If CA wants to be realistic and give the player a challenge, then disease should appear amongst your troops whenever you have a large body of men at one place for a prolonged period of time. Not only in a city, but also in your field-armies.

That would force you to keep your troops dispersed until you need them, much like the real medieval kings and warlords. Then you would have a realistic time-lag to collect your troops (calling for support among your Barons and Counts), before meeting any threat.

That would also simulate the supply problems that medieval armies were facing, not being able to live entirely of the land.

More pestilence is needed. Battlefield casualties were insignificant compared to the effects of diseases (especially besiegers/the besieged) such as typhus, the pox, dysentery and er... st.vitus's dance (okay I don't know that much about diseases). Perhaps a signifier on your armies on the campaign map such as flies buzzing around your general or some-such. Even king's succumbed to diseases e.g Henry V of england died of dysentry.

Note- this comment is copied and pasted from the 'what i want to see in mtw2' thread. I'm just too lazy to repeat myself.

Well, sickness is simulated in the sieges in RTW for the besieged (attrition every turn).

Btw in the siege of Constantinople the besiegers used biochemical warfare for the first time. They loaded the catapults with victims from the plague and shot them over the walls!! Then the city got the plague and had to surrender.

Quote Originally Posted by PhallosMaximus
    Well, sickness is simulated in the sieges in RTW for the besieged (attrition every turn).

Btw in the siege of Constantinople the besiegers used biochemical warfare for the first time. They loaded the catapults with victims from the plague and shot them over the walls!! Then the city got the plague and had to surrender.
    It's been used quite often in medieval times but it's unlikely they realized the exact science of it. The Tartars used it as did Frederick Barbarossa in his campaigns. I'll try to find some sources...

Edit- http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/prepared.../history/#1100

Damn, some of these are just vicious...
    Last edited by Markas; March 01, 2006 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhallosMaximus

well from what i know that was a quite common tactic
    Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time

Hansa's Avatar Campidoctor

Dont think that CA will implement sickness every time a large army gathers, just doesnt sound very CA to me, although it seems historically likely that this occured. CA will probably make the black plague a big event though, whould be great to see Europe change completely due to it, states crumpbling, society falling apart etc. could add an interesting challenge for the player, together with rebellions, reemerging factions etc.

VaeVictis's Avatar Miles

"The craven-***** son that he is, the enemy General has died of the flu, before the pox could get him."

Quote Originally Posted by Hansa
    Dont think that CA will implement sickness every time a large army gathers, just doesnt sound very CA to me, although it seems historically likely that this occured.
    No, I don't think that either.

But I hope they work on the economic system. No king or warlord could afford to keep a big mercenary army for long, so I hope the game don't give the player an insane amount of money like RTW.

Medieval history is full of mercenaries that turn against their employer because they didn't get paid. This could be fun if it also took place in the game.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Guys, I don't know if you know this yet but M2TW will have the ability to launch dead animals into besieged cities to spread disease and pestilence.

Fire dead animals into besieged towns to spread disease

Info taken from SEGA.com

This is definitely a siege tactic I'll be using against huge cities fully garrisoned.

i dont think that campaign sickness among troops is a good idea
    although its midly historic, i know that i would like building an army and then having it randomly die at no fault of my own
    [BIG MTW2 SIG]
    Skyhigh - can't go out at night because he'd bump his head on the stars.