Thread: Enlarging Battle map - deployment and borders?

Default Enlarging Battle map - deployment and borders?

Just a post to ponder is it possible to change the active area of battle maps

I know that fine work was done in NTW to change deployment zones by a fella whoes name i forget.

Im wondering if with technique the same can be done especially for naval maps that have tiny deployment zones and seem to have considerable area's out of bounds (around coasts) and i would really like to expand.

Also to be able to make naval borders like in NTW where ships leave the battle rather than run into an invisible wall if they go out of bounds would be kinda nice.

Default Re: Enlarging Battle map - deployment and borders?

And if somebody could make it that ambushers can be deployed nearer to the guys beeing ambushed that would also be great.

St. Cyr's Avatar Biarchus

I'm trying to figure out how to do this....looks like a major pain to accomplish....

The original mod for Napoleon was Baron Von Beers Deployment mod.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Could be done with a few hours, (which i dont have atm...).

In Baron's mod for Napoleon, all he has is edited TGA's under the battleterrain/templates/ heading. Is the .tga size all that governs the size of the deployment zones?

St. Cry yep that sounds like how its done GIMP with a dds plugin should be able to access/edit those maps.

Glad its possible Hedge Knight - understand that time aint a real common resource. Im guessing deployment zones are moddable from the Baron's work but edge of map may be a bit harder.

EDIT: Found i, in S2 its not a tga but is in text format. Looks quiet easy to increase map area and if nec turn off borders. Happy Chappy
    Last edited by Dogmeat; April 16, 2011 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmeat View Post
    St. Cry yep that sounds like how its done GIMP with a dds plugin should be able to access/edit those maps.

Glad its possible Hedge Knight - understand that time aint a real common resource. Im guessing deployment zones are moddable from the Baron's work but edge of map may be a bit harder.

EDIT: Found i, in S2 its not a tga but is in text format. Looks quiet easy to increase map area and if nec turn off borders. Happy Chappy
    Where is it? I find so many files that have to do with this, not sure which is the right one. Do you think it would be possibly just to "widen" the deployment zones?

Seems its a bit more involved

for custom/MP battles for example suruga_bay is in the Terrain.pack path Terrain\battleterrain\presets\sho_mp_naval_suruga_bay

Here there is a deployment_areas.xml that has grid cordinates for deployment, ths showd be pretty easy to tweak.

There is also an XML file that i thought looked promising Defintinions.xml this has a borders an 'map size' unfort changes here dont seem to happen in map - slightly sad face

This method seems to used for all multiplayer maps and im guessing historical, and some unique battles

However for the huge number of Battle maps possible in the campaign and these are covered in the Terrain\battleterrain\template tree -

Here there are TGA's like in NTW that are used to set deployment zones - Red/Blue and reinforcement directions - Cyan
    These should be fine to edit and enlarge Baron Von Beer Style but there a hell of alot of them - which is good really cause it means more unique battlefields in camp,

-So ways to mod deployment zones available .

-Abilty to edit map size and turn off borders still a wip here.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Yeah too many to do without alot of time. As to making the battle larger you cant as fat as im aware.

Damn there are so many

How do you even edit them I keep getting errors just looking at the files in PFM.

Gonna watch this thread with great interest.
    Some map NEEDS a deployment fix.
    Especially siege deployment.

Changing deployment for ieges may be not so hard as there are relatively few siege maps - pity that ive got relatively so little time......

To edit them St Cry id use a program like GImp that can view those map images after u extract them. Then im guessing its just a matter of painting larger areas.

The errors u get trying to view in PFM is just a bug as pFM can only handle loading those images slowly - click on a map the on a non map table bfre another map seems to help - extracting the maps allows easy viewing with gimp, photoshop or sim.

I C Hedge is 'Suspended by Request' not sure what that means but sounds a bit of a pity......................