Thread: Overwhelmed, need guidance.

Civis

Icon5 Overwhelmed, need guidance.

Hi,

I dl'd this mod for main RTW game after trying numerous mainstream mods. I must say I'm starting to like it a lot, had a small campaign to conquer all of Italia this weekend and it felt great having to use the same Legion (because it costs a lot to maintain and train units), not to mention the battles where very enjoyable and full of movement, they felt very dynamic, quite different of static lines meeting another. What I did notice was that the enemy general 90% charged my line and got slaughtered early on.

But reading some post and guides etc, I think I don't quite "get" all what the mod does or has. First of all, here's my install as I've seen is really important to try and answer questions:

latest version as per the official page
    Bi exe
    no loyalty
    land bridges
    Reduced movements in battle maps
    New settlements

My doubts are For example:

-How does the supply thing works? like, how do I improve supply in hostile territory?
    -Is there a guide detailing what do I need to build to get certain Buildings?
    -Is there a detailed guide to all characters' ancillaries and traits etc?
    -Is there named legions? how do they work?
    -Is it advised to use loyalty? I was put off by the warning that something may not work if I enabled loyalty, can't remember exactly what it was.
    -The Carths have eliminated the roman rebels and I don't have loyalty enabled, will they emerge again if one of my city rebels?
    -If I installed XC with certain options but then I want other options enabled, do I have to reinstall? and if so, just reinstall as is or do I need to erase the mod folder or what?
    -Does the mod uses scripts? if so, how can I tell if they are working? I read that it uses a garrison script, but then I read that this mod doesn't use a BG script, so how do they do it?
    -I have a skirmish unit available of Greek origin it seems, every time I have an auxilia barracks in Italy, what's up with that? their unit picture is missing and it shows a unit of peasants, I think they're called akintontistai or something.
    -I want rebels appearing and a garrison forming every time I siege a city, what options should I enable to get this?
    -is There a 4tpy script? does it fixes building times to account for more time?
    -To send your FM to study abroad, I read there's some cities that have special schools, do I have to be inside the city, I mean do I have to own it or is a matter of simply staying in the area around the city? If I own it then, they aren't really studying abroad do they? It confuses me.
    -Is work going to continue on this mod? what else is going to be implemented?

I probably have more doubts but I will present them later as I progress.

Keep up the good work and thanks for reading!

Default Re: Overwhelmed, need guidance.

-How does the supply thing works? like, how do I improve supply in hostile territory? - you resupply in friendly cities
    -Is there a guide detailing what do I need to build to get certain Buildings? - in game building browser is usually good enough, and there is a government building browser somewhere.
    -Is there a detailed guide to all characters' ancillaries and traits etc? - I have seen a guide. Check FAQs or changelogs
    -Is there named legions? how do they work? - no, just nameless ones. Its based on the extended Greek mod.
    -Is it advised to use loyalty? I was put off by the warning that something may not work if I enabled loyalty, can't remember exactly what it was. - a few bugs, maybe, or annoyance due to armies occassionally abandoning you.
    -The Carths have eliminated the roman rebels and I don't have loyalty enabled, will they emerge again if one of my city rebels? - I think if the Carthaginians have replaced the rebels, then the rebels aren't actually in the game, and thus won't emerge
    -If I installed XC with certain options but then I want other options enabled, do I have to reinstall? and if so, just reinstall as is or do I need to erase the mod folder or what? - just reinstall. I think
    -Does the mod uses scripts? if so, how can I tell if they are working? I read that it uses a garrison script, but then I read that this mod doesn't use a BG script, so how do they do it? - if a important city is attacked, at the end of that turn an army spawns in it.
    -I have a skirmish unit available of Greek origin it seems, every time I have an auxilia barracks in Italy, what's up with that? their unit picture is missing and it shows a unit of peasants, I think they're called akintontistai or something. - I think they're javelin throwers. The peasant unit card is a default.
    -I want rebels appearing and a garrison forming every time I siege a city, what options should I enable to get this? - big cities are the only ones with garrison scripts to my knowledge
    -is There a 4tpy script? does it fixes building times to account for more time? - no
    -To send your FM to study abroad, I read there's some cities that have special schools, do I have to be inside the city, I mean do I have to own it or is a matter of simply staying in the area around the city? If I own it then, they aren't really studying abroad do they? It confuses me. - Have you FM govern a city for a few years (Pergamon is a good one)
    -Is work going to continue on this mod? what else is going to be implemented? - XC 5 is going to be released, I believe. Ask Zarax what is changing.
    Answers in quote. they do not necessarily represent the views of TWC, the XC team or indeed the truth.

Boycott boycotts!'

-How does the supply thing works? like, how do I improve supply in hostile territory?
    You cant resupply in hostile territory... get back to friendly territory
    Nope, not that i know of, only for the governments...
    nope... not a detailed one, but there is a ReadMe in the install
    No... not that i know of...
    -Is it advised to use loyalty? I was put off by the warning that something may not work if I enabled loyalty, can't remember exactly what it was.
    well, it can be broken sometimes, it just disables hording for the gauls and there is a thing as the romans, if too many popularies has seated the throne, the optimates rebels...
    -The Carths have eliminated the roman rebels and I don't have loyalty enabled, will they emerge again if one of my city rebels?
    i dont think so?... not sure?
    -If I installed XC with certain options but then I want other options enabled, do I have to reinstall? and if so, just reinstall as is or do I need to erase the mod folder or what?
    uninstall, reinstall
    -Does the mod uses scripts? if so, how can I tell if they are working? I read that it uses a garrison script, but then I read that this mod doesn't use a BG script, so how do they do it?
    Nope... try press the ½ button and press arrow up... there is no script
    -I have a skirmish unit available of Greek origin it seems, every time I have an auxilia barracks in Italy, what's up with that? their unit picture is missing and it shows a unit of peasants, I think they're called akintontistai or something.
    Missing UI card
    -I want rebels appearing and a garrison forming every time I siege a city, what options should I enable to get this?
    ... i dont know

-To send your FM to study abroad, I read there's some cities that have special schools, do I have to be inside the city, I mean do I have to own it or is a matter of simply staying in the area around the city? If I own it then, they aren't really studying abroad do they? It confuses me.
    They have to stay IN the city for a while....
    Yes.... i dont know what... contact Zarax for more

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Kanov View Post
    I dl'd this mod for main RTW -How does the supply thing works? like, how do I improve supply in hostile territory?
    Supply increases when your general is in a friendly settlement or slower in friendly territory.
    Management influences how fast your supplies dwindle and replenishes.

The government buildings (military occupation, regional pacification etc) influences what you can build.
    Higher levels of government allows more buildings, with allied government (regional allied tributary) allowing auxiliary barracks.

Given the size of Suppanut's work that would be huge.
    The tutorials thread might be of help though: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=358518

Name legions are recruited post marius, just train first cohorts (requires high level barracks).

Loyalty is quite enjoyable, however it increases the chance of having random CTDs on settlement capture by around 2%, not something that can be fixed unfortunately and reloading usually works fine.

Not in this case, no loyalty = no re-emergent rebels.

Reinstalling is all you need, however certain options (like senate or loyalty) are not save game compatible with previous installs.

When approaching a faction's capital an advisor pops up.
    If you click on it it will activate the garrison script, you can choose to have the extra challenge or ignore it upon your taste.

Southern Italy had a significant greek population (after all it was called magna graecia) so you will have some greek auxiliaries at your disposal in there.
    The akontistai not showing the card is a small bug that is going to be fixed in next release, they should be functional though.

That's not possible I'm afraid, would require excessive amount of scripting.

That's not available on XC for now.

Suppanut guide on FM management should answer the question, basically if a character has the educator father trait and spends a few turns in a settlement with a special academy to complete his education he will send his sons there, regardless if he's in the city or not.

Work is still in progress, a new build should be released this or next weekend plus XC5 is planned with some new features.

I probably have more doubts but I will present them later as I progress.

Keep up the good work and thanks for reading!
    Thank you for your support!
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Suppanut's Avatar Idea-O-Matic

I will reply on only part I had created though.

Supply would resupplied in friendly territory and will be faster if character stay in settlement. Build fort in enemy territory and stay in there would also slow the pace of supply countdown but would not really resupplied it.
    Not yet except for government type building. But I think we really need some as we have a lot of branching trees.
    No full guide yet as I still think it not yet perfect, for tutorial I had written earlier, it is in the link that Zarax give.
    For current version, My design on trait system has defect that made Roman civil war feature that need loyalty to work has mal-functioned when without loyalty setting. I still on my way fixing it.
    Our mod not using background script. Garrison script working by activation advisor script while it pop-up. To made Garrison script work properly, you need to set advises to "high".
    Not all cities have garrison scripts. And to made it always happen, you need to set advises to "high" and activated every times they pop-up.
    Stay in settlement which have special schools for a few turns for FM that have trait "Educator Father" or "Over-spoiling Father" would help. Some schools need infrastructure upgraded before function and some schools have special condition for schooling without visited there before. Now there are 12 schools in XC-Delta and 2 new additions are special schools which have special ability and could be using by only faction that built it.
    Yes, we still have many features awaited for implemented in XC5.
    Last edited by Suppanut; May 10, 2011 at 05:06 AM.
    Is proudly patroned by the Great Balikedes.

Civis

Thanks for the answers guys, very helpful. But as always, more knowledge leads to more questions.

Name legions are recruited post marius, just train first cohorts (requires high level barracks).
    What names do they get? based on what (hidden resources, BI region naming)?

You say that a new build might be ready soon, I just started a campaign and had some great heroic battles against the free greeks, will I lose my progress if I install the new planned build or is it going to be save compatible?

Regarding loyalty:

-Why the gauls lose horde ability?
    -Any other factions that 'Benefit' from loyalty? I mean, any other shadow factions that emerge from main factions?
    -What factions can horde? is it dependent on loyalty enabled or what?

Any other information you can share is good too.

Thanks for your patience guys, is just that I find this mod has a lot to be learned to fully enjoy it. I was frankly static when I was surprised by supplies while I was playing the first time, it is a great feature, I love it.

- Named legions are based on the region they are recruited in

- Builds are usually not save compatible between each other, so you may want to finish your campaign first

- hording and loyalty are not compatible with each other, they tend to cause nasty CTDs.

- gauls, seleucids, romans or carthaginians, GCS and Baktria can use the loyalty bonus

- hording factions are gauls, germans, sarmatians and parthians, aside from gauls hording is not effected by loyalty.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

This may be a very stupid question but what do you mean by supplies?

It's the supply trait used by FM when they fight outside friendly territory.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

Isnt it also used when a FM is under siege, or is that a different on?
    Last edited by Pinkie Pie; May 10, 2011 at 02:51 PM.
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

That would be the "besieged" line.
    The Best Is Yet To Come: