Thread: Which .pack to use?

Default Which .pack to use?

I notice that data.pack, patch.pack, patch2.pack, patch3.pack etc all have db\projectiles_tables\projectiles within them, according to PFM. Why is this? Does patch3 override patch2 override patch override data.pack? Does data.pack win? Which should I take as my starting point in modding that table (or any other that these files duplicate)?

Does anyone know why there are all these copies of the data lying about, with some unknown set of differences between them?

Default Re: Which .pack to use?

The latest patch 'wins'.

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

Data pack is the basic file to run the game. Don't mess with it. The Patch packs overwrite the data pack so as the previous poster stated, use the latest patch always.

Or you can just make your own .pack file that will be executed in campaign... By just copying all the tables (you want to mod) from patch.pack to your custom pack file.

Ok, so I have a related question. I've made a small mod of my own by extracting the 'unit_stats_land' and 'units' tables and putting them in my own pack file, saved as a Mod file. I had to use 'patch3.pack' as any more recent than that caused a crash in the Pack File Manager. However, even having added a line for this mod pack in my user script, the changes are not appearing in game! Any thoughts as to why?

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

What .pack type did you save the mod as?

If you don't know the answer that is no doubt your problem.

This could be it, I thought I had saved it as a Mod, rather than Movie, or the default; Release. However I just went to check and it was still saying that it was a Release type. I've made sure to change it to Mod type this time, and I'm going to test it now.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Awsome, let me know if it works. Sounds like thats 100% your problem though.

Well, I just tried running it as a Mod type, and it crashed at the splash screen. I have a user script with a line for this particular mod. Not quite sure why it's not working.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Well at least now its doing something, the crash means the pack is trying to take effect, but something to do with the mod is making the game crash, I have no idea what that could be I'm afraid, it could be anything to do with what you'v changed/modded.

Yeah, I don't understand why. All I've changed is this; increased the size of Matchlock Ashigaru units to match Yari Ashigaru units, given all Matchlock units the 'Scares Enemies' ability, and limited the recruitment of Warrior Monk type units to 4, and Samurai type units to 8. I've made much more drastic changes to Empire and Napoleon, and they run fine!

Could the problem be arising from having to extract the files from patch3.pack? I tried to use 4, 5, and 6, but each time the PFM would crash when it tried to open them. As far as I know, I have the latest version (1.6.5 BETA).

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Do you have the hotfix as well?

Possibly not, do you have a link? I looked to see if there was a new version, but I didn't see anything newer than 1.6.5 BETA. If there's a hotfix somewhere I may have missed it.

Content Emeritus

Yea someone posted the hotfix in the thread, lemme go find it (please post so I dont have to double post )

Sure thing, my good man!

Content Emeritus

Thanks a bunch! I've remade the mod with the hotfix version and now it's working perfectly!

Content Emeritus

Glad to be of service