Thread: Viking Invasion II : DOB huge units balance submod

Default Viking Invasion II : DOB huge units balance submod

What did I change? I added a + 1 % population growth bonus to every region information 'building'. This way you can play on huge unit size without having the AI emptying its settlements. There are a few exceptions: Some provinces, e.g. the Orcades, already had a 0.5 % population decrease in DOB; those regions only got a + 0.5 bonus to keep the balance the same.

Installation:
    Install VI 2 and DOB, then unzip the attached file into your Rome/BI/VI2/data folder. Better make a backup of your export_descr_buildings.text to be able to revert to vanilla if you don't like my changes.

PS: Don't forget to rep these people for making this mod: Aradan, MasterOfNone, Halie Satanus, Uranos, Antagonist, Keyser Soze
    Last edited by TW-fanboy; May 09, 2011 at 03:41 PM.

Default Re: Viking Invasion II : DOB huge units balance submod

Thank you. I may use this after my current Wessex campaign. This is a really great mod
    Thank you to all of the RTR Team.

Nice initiative!

Here are two modified EDB with only +0.5% population growth, which is a more conservative approach for playing VI2-DoB with huge unit size. I guess it's a matter of taste how fast you want settlements to grow playing with huge unit size, so using both the +1% and also the +0.5% EDB is justifiable...

[0.5%-pop_In-Total]-EDB gives all 65 provinces a uniform, in total +0.5% pop-growth bonus:
    - The 59 provinces with neiter positive nor negative pop-growth bonus in the original have a +0.5% pop-growth bonus
    - And the 6 small-island provinces* with a negative -0.5% pop-growth bonus in the original also have a +0.5% pop-growth bonus
    Note: this EDB changes the balance from the original a little, but prevents especially the (AI) Norwegian faction from depleting it's populace in the small-island provinces, as 3 of them are under Viking rule at game start -- for an equalised campaign game-play

[0.5%-pop_Additional]-EDB gives all 65 provinces an additional +0.5 pop-growth bonus:
    - The 59 provinces with neiter positive nor negative pop-growth bonus in the original have a +0.5% pop-growth bonus
    - And the 6 small-island provinces* with a negative -0.5% pop-growth bonus in the original have no negative, but also no positve pop-growth bonus
    Note: this EDB maintains the original balance and thus the decreased population growth for the 6 small-island provinces -- for a realistic campaign game-play

* modern Orkney, Outer Hebrides, Isle of Iona, Isle of Man, Holy Isle and Isle of Thanet

INSTALLATION:
    First of: installing these modified EDBs is 100% save-game compatible and you can switch back to the original EDB (and vice versa again) during an ongoing campaign any time!
    - place the modified EDB inside ..BI\VI2\data
    - make a backup of the original EDB before doing that!
    - start VI2-DoB! (if you open a "Provincial Information" building's scroll you can see the changes to the population growth)
    Last edited by Casual Tactician; August 13, 2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: added a second version of the +0.5% pop-growth EDB

Parzival2211's Avatar Ducenarius

That was a great idea. I assume I have to start a new campaign to use it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival2211 View Post
    That was a great idea. I assume I have to start a new campaign to use it, right?
    Nope!

Basically the changes are compareable for example to giving a unit +1 armour in the EDU, so any of these EDBs here (i.e. the +1% in the OP and also the +0.5% versions) are 100% save-game compatible. You can even switch back and forth between any of these and the original EDB any time during an ongoing campaign.